What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Super Bowl LVIII - San Francisco 49'ers 14-5 vs Kansas City Chiefs 14-6*** (+2, 47.5) Chiefs are World Champions 25-22 in Overtime (2 Viewers)

Which fanbase is more pessimistic about their team’s chances?
49ers and it's not even close. FantasyCurse42 and Wingnut are in a class by themselves when it comes to pessimism about their favorite team. Too much to overcome for any real serious competition :popcorn:
I'm not really a pessimist, I just get pissed during games when the team or Kyle do dumb crap and they don't play like they're capable of, and then voice my displeasure in profanity filled rants. I'm always fine the next day.

Been a die hard since 1981. Not going anywhere, even though some might question my loyalty based on those earlier mentioned rants, but they're just my way of blowing off steam.
I know. Just teasing you.

I just watch games differently these days. Used to get pissed a lot more but it was kind of ruining the experience and although it took a couple decades or so, I eventually figured out that it wasn't helping and had zero effect on the outcome. Was watching the game with my son and a couple friends Sunday and the 49ers were so bad the first half that I couldn't even get mad. All of us are diehards, but it was kind of a quiet "WTF" is going on vibe. Oddly enough, I had a feeling they were going to bounce back and at least make a game of it. A break on the pass to Aiyuk off the DBs facemask and then Gibbs fumbling and they make up the 17 points in about 10 minutes.

Good times :hifive:
I aspire to having this more reasonable emotional relationship to sports.

Which fanbase is more pessimistic about their team’s chances?
49ers and it's not even close. FantasyCurse42 and Wingnut are in a class by themselves when it comes to pessimism about their favorite team. Too much to overcome for any real serious competition :popcorn:
I'm not really a pessimist, I just get pissed during games when the team or Kyle do dumb crap and they don't play like they're capable of, and then voice my displeasure in profanity filled rants. I'm always fine the next day.

Been a die hard since 1981. Not going anywhere, even though some might question my loyalty based on those earlier mentioned rants, but they're just my way of blowing off steam.
I know. Just teasing you.

I just watch games differently these days. Used to get pissed a lot more but it was kind of ruining the experience and although it took a couple decades or so, I eventually figured out that it wasn't helping and had zero effect on the outcome. Was watching the game with my son and a couple friends Sunday and the 49ers were so bad the first half that I couldn't even get mad. All of us are diehards, but it was kind of a quiet "WTF" is going on vibe. Oddly enough, I had a feeling they were going to bounce back and at least make a game of it. A break on the pass to Aiyuk off the DBs facemask and then Gibbs fumbling and they make up the 17 points in about 10 minutes.

Good times :hifive:
I aspire to having this more reasonable emotional relationship to sports.
Well, the 5 rum and cokes in the first half helped. Seemed like a good idea at the time

I have a very strong opinion on this one.
I will be checking the furniture for any loose change.
And will be putting it all on The Chiefs straight up.
Andy figured out what to do about his less than stellar wide receiver group.
He's been running more three tight end sets.
I think The Chiefs just faced the best defense in the league and did just enough while their defense continued to play very well.
I think The Chiefs win outright and if their wide receivers continue to hold onto passes they win easily...in NFL terms.
It's a lock for me...

Kansas City Chiefs- 34
San Francisco Forty Niners- 23
see @ChiefD - this is how it is done. C'mon plant your flag. you know you want to.

I see some folks picking the Chiefs and rightly they should with their track record, however...
I don't see the Chiefs putting up 30+ points.

They did score 26 vs the Phins in the Freezer Bowl
27 on the Bills and then just 17 on the Ravens
You gotta go back to November when they managed 31 vs LVR
They don't score a lot of points most weeks
They would do well to get 20-24 and then hope their Defense plays like they have for weeks.
The Chiefs Defense vs the run has ben outstanding, the best for the last month or two IIRC
That's their strength plus playmakers in the Secondary

Last edited:
Not sure the Chiefs will need to score 30.

Their defense hasn't allowed 30 all season, and they just held the team with the presumed MVP to 10 points, yet it still feels like people are sleeping on their defense.

Not sure the Chiefs will need to score 30.

Their defense hasn't allowed 30 all season, and they just held the team with the presumed MVP to 10 points, yet it still feels like people are sleeping on their defense.
I wonder what Baltimore would have done if they would have tried to run the ball, their RBs had 6 total carries. SF is gonna run the ball a lot.

Didn't scroll up to see if someone else posted this, but:

2020/2024:
- Leap Year
- Trump vs Biden for the presidency
- 49ers vs Chiefs for the Super Bowl

The money line seems to be moving in the KC direction at DraftKings. Was +105 for the longest, went to +110 today but is now sitting at only +100. With point spread odds under a FG, could end up pretty much being a coin flip. 🪙

$1M bet on Niners

Was only a matter of time the way the moneys been flowing in on the Chiefs. Another recent Yahoo article cited 5x the ML bets coming in for KC as SF.

Let the ####ery begin.
I don't understand gambling very well, but it still seems weird that experts are almost unanimously taking the Chiefs and the spread still favors SF.
Anyone who has an opinion can claim to be an "expert". The line is determined by the betting public. Books ideally want a 50/50 split in wagers.
So if more people are betting one one side the line will shift to try to get more on the other side. That's when you will see the line move.

$1M bet on Niners

Was only a matter of time the way the moneys been flowing in on the Chiefs. Another recent Yahoo article cited 5x the ML bets coming in for KC as SF.

Let the ####ery begin.
I don't understand gambling very well, but it still seems weird that experts are almost unanimously taking the Chiefs and the spread still favors SF.
Anyone who has an opinion can claim to be an "expert". The line is determined by the betting public. Books ideally want a 50/50 split in wagers.
So if more people are betting one one side the line will shift to try to get more on the other side. That's when you will see the line move.
I get that, but the reporting was also that most of the money was coming in on the Chiefs, yet the line looks like it bounced back up to -2. Maybe the reporting was inaccurate?

One interesting thing to me in this game will be Mahomes under heavy pressure. That was a big part of what swung the TB Super Bowl, and KC has the worst OT combo west of NY in the entire NFL. I don't think either Smith or Taylor can block Chase Young, let alone Nick Bosa. If SF wins, I think Nick Bosa is a strong MVP bet, with a great chance of multiple sacks.

Still blows my mind KC gave Jawaan Taylor a 4/80 deal, when he's arguably not even a top-64 NFL OT. Between being the worst run blocker in the NFL (most TEs run block better) and being a penalty machine, its a real testament to Mahomes and co. how they've been able to succeed in spite of Taylor, and Donovan Smith is only slightly better.

As long as SF doesn't come out super flat like they have the last 2 weeks, I think its their game to win. They are a more talented football team. If KC wins, its on Reid/Mahomes/Spags. It wouldn't blow my mind if SF ran away with this one a little if they come out strong.

. I don't think either Smith or Taylor can block Chase Young,
My 11 year old son could block Chase Young. All he would have to do is say hey man, play is going to the other side of field.
After Shanahan pretty much called him out for lackluster effort vs Green Bay, I wonder if he decides to put effort in next week. Prob not.
he showed very little effort vs detroit so my guess is no
Post edited, I mean Detroit :doh:

$1M bet on Niners

Let the ####ery begin.
I get that, but the reporting was also that most of the money was coming in on the Chiefs, yet the line looks like it bounced back up to -2. Maybe the reporting was inaccurate?
Vegas is not prone to release information like that until after betting has closed. The "reporting" could be based on "sources". Not sure just guessing.

All of the experts are on the Chiefs. I’m not seeing a lot of people giving SF a chance. Candidly, idk why they’re even playing the game. Should just put on a Taylor Swift concert for everyone to enjoy, let Usher make an appearance, then pass the Lombardi trophy out. Game is complete waste of time, I’ll tune in for halftime and the trophy presentation to Travis and Taylor.

Maybe some of you can dig this up…

Other than this years 49ers, when was the last time (if at all) a team in the superbowl failed to cover any of their previous playoff games leading up to the big game?

Maybe some of you can dig this up…

Other than this years 49ers, when was the last time (if at all) a team in the superbowl failed to cover any of their previous playoff games leading up to the big game?
I know the undefeated 2007 Patriots didn't cover the spread in either of their games to get to the Super Bowl in the AFC playoffs. That's the only that comes to mind.

Viva la Media!

Why aren't both teams allowed to practice at the same facility? Maybe I'm wrong with thinking the Chiefs are practicing on the actual field at Allegiant, but it seems wrong that the Chiefs get to practice in an indoor NFL practice facility, while the 49ers have to practice outdoors (in the rain) at UNLV. As heard on 95.7 The Game, sounds like the 49ers are considering doing press obligations in LV, but flying back to Santa Clara to hold practices pre-Super Bowl.

NFL on script to give their Golden Boy every advantage they can.

49ers not happy about practice field ahead of Super Bowl:

The 49ers feel the grass (at UNLV) is too soft for the team to practice on, and the team has considered alternatives.

The 49ers have three options as it stands Monday ahead of their walkthrough. They can a) go about their business and practice on the field as scheduled; b) bring in new, firmer sod that would, in theory, be ready for practice this week; or c) negotiate with the NFL to practice at the Las Vegas Raiders practice facility where the Chiefs are located this week.

Sources say there have been discussions about the 49ers adjusting their schedule that would allow for them to practice at the Raiders’ facilities when the Chiefs aren’t there. But sources also indicated that, before the 49ers ever step on the field, the likely scenario is that San Francisco remains at UNLV.

They’re not happy about having to practice on this field. The Chiefs are practicing at the Raiders’ practice facility. There are scores that are assigned to these practice fields. The average scores should be around the mid-70s.

The Raiders practice field is at an 80. The Niners believe that their practice field is in the 50s. They feel like it’s a hazard and a disadvantage.

The fact that the NFL should’ve had this handled two months ago and waited until last week to fix the field is an embarrassment for the league. This is the Super Bowl we’re talking about. College football has been over since December.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the 49ers will hold a walk-through at UNLV today at noon. That's when they will get to truly examine the practice field surface.

Last edited:

The 49ers feel the grass (at UNLV) is too soft for the team to practice on, and the team has considered alternatives.

Sources say this is not a health-and-safety issue as much as it’s simply a preference issue. Sources say the current surface at UNLV meets all NFL, NFL Players Association and independent standards.

The 49ers have three options as it stands Monday ahead of their walkthrough. They can a) go about their business and practice on the field as scheduled; b) bring in new, firmer sod that would, in theory, be ready for practice this week; or c) negotiate with the NFL to practice at the Las Vegas Raiders practice facility where the Chiefs are located this week.

Sources say there have been discussions about the 49ers adjusting their schedule that would allow for them to practice at the Raiders’ facilities when the Chiefs aren’t there. But sources also indicated that, before the 49ers ever step on the field, the likely scenario is that San Francisco remains at UNLV.

They’re not happy about having to practice on this field. The Chiefs are practicing at the Raiders’ practice facility. There are scores that are assigned to these practice fields. The average scores should be around the mid-70s.

The Raiders practice field is at an 80. The Niners believe that their practice field is in the 50s. They feel like it’s a hazard and a disadvantage.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the 49ers will hold a walk-through at UNLV today at noon. That's when they will get to truly examine the practice field surface.

The 49ers shouldn’t need a lot of practice to beat the Chiefs.

Sources say this is not a health-and-safety issue as much as it’s simply a preference issue. Sources say the current surface at UNLV meets all NFL, NFL Players Association and independent standards.

The SB is supposed to be a neutral site, no team should get better facilities than the other.

Can't say I'm surprised though. The league wants KC to win this game so bad.

*In Allen Iverson voice*
We talkin' bout practice?

Wait til you play the actual Super Bowl one a ice rink!

This may be the most boring pre SB bye week ever. I haven't watched a minute of TV coverage.

I'll watch an hour or so of pregame on Sunday but the rest is so meh.

Agree. This is just another motivation for the Niners.

Between that Cuda guy and this field disrespect this does not bode well for the Chiefs.

Agree. This is just another motivation for the Niners.

Between that Cuda guy and this field disrespect this does not bode well for the Chiefs.
Biggest game of their lives and they don’t have adequate practice facilities? This is a disaster… The spread should move 10 points on this alone. Just another year and another title for Reid, Mahomes, Kelce, & Swift.

Shanahan on the UNLV field:

"We're not worried about it at all," Shanahan affirmed. "It is what it is. We're here. We won't change anything."

The coach expressed optimism that the field conditions will improve over the course of the week.

"We're not going to completely change our schedule, do something crazy," Shanahan added. "We'll deal with what we've got, and we're good."

Luck of the even numbered year stuck SF with the college field over the Raider's practice field. Maybe instead of alternating they should first do a playoff style tiebreaker based on best record?
Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but I had to laugh at Goodell saying they had "23 experts" examine the field. Seems like a lot of experts to be conveniently on hand :ponder:

Plus calling the practice field "playable" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Even bad fields are "playable", but this is the Super Bowl, the pinnacle of a gazillion dollar business. Bad look to have one team practicing inside where the actual game will be played and the other team practicing on a subpar field, even if it is by definition "playable".

Last edited:

The SB is supposed to be a neutral site, no team should get better facilities than the other.

The home team always gets the venue practice site, just like the Eagles did last year. The NFL is doing the same thing it does every year.

bolded....do you have anything to actually support this statement or you just following the herd like most....?

I get the practice field thing seems unfair....but what else you got to actually support your statement that doesn't fall under the herd mentality of "the league loves the Chiefs" and or the "Taylor affect" ....I'll hang up and listen....

Users who are viewing this thread