What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Talk About Alcohol (2 Viewers)

How much alcohol do you drink?

• 14+ drinks per week

Votes: 50 14.8%
  • 7-13 drinks per week

Votes: 55 16.3%
  • 3-6 drinks per week

Votes: 62 18.3%
  • 1-2 drinks per week

Votes: 28 8.3%
  • A few drinks a month

Votes: 44 13.0%
  • A few drinks a year

Votes: 32 9.5%
  • Mostly not at all

Votes: 22 6.5%
  • I don't drink at all

Votes: 45 13.3%

• Total voters
I haven't had a drink since mid month Feb and while I haven't noticed a difference in sleep I have noticed a difference on the waist line and face. Getting my gallbladder out has changed me from having drinks on Thurs-Sat nights to none at all and the wallet seems to be benefiting the most. I was told to not drink for at least 6 months to let my organs get used to the new norm and I plan to stick to that and I really don't think I'll go back to drinking once I can.
Interesting. I had mine out over 10 years ago and don't remember that instruction. I will say I've adjusted pretty well. I also don't eat the junk I did when I was in college. Win/win.

Used to be every day I'd have 2 or 3 beers, with more on the weekend. Have been slowly cutting back. Now limiting to Fri/Sat and weeknights involving a live sporting event or concert. Nights that I go to the gym are pretty easy, I'm so tired and don't really have an appetite for one. It's the other nights that at first were difficult but are getting easier. I don't say they were difficult like I have alcoholic cravings, but rather it just seemed so routine for so long.
Sundays are hard, especially if I'm grilling or making a big dinner. Will still have 1 or 2 but nothing after dinner.

This has become the new normal and I'm over the "habit" part of it. However, this week has been an anomaly. Partied Sunday night, had a few Monday night, and obviously enjoying a few watching the tourney tonight.
I just wanted to add that sports in general and especially the 17 Sundays during the NFL season are by far the WORST times for me.
I can pop a few beers watching an MLB game, NBA is more of a puff puff for me but the NFL seems to be a license to drink anything in my house

What I'm saying is in the off season of the NFL, much easier to push the alcohol away
SNF-MNF-TNF, there's 3 days/nights I'm drinking Sept-Dec, add in NCAA on Saturdays, it's too easy when football is on the TV

-I know we don't see eye to eye on a lot of things but this post hit home for me
Thanks!
This is big. Sports watching drives a lot of drinking for me. Now that sports aren't on there isnt that draw.
Early on in my recovery, I wasn't able to watch sports simply for that reason. That may be overstating it, but sports was a huge trigger for me. Hell, my favorite baseball team is named after beer and their stadium was named after the beer I drank. I live in the "drunkest" state and people take pride in that. I know I did. Most people brush that kind of thing off, but for us alcoholics, it can be a big issue. But having 2-3 or 12 beers during a game was part of my routine. I'm lucky to now be able to compartmentalize the ads, the culture, the atmosphere, etc.

I may not state this enough but if anyone thinks they have a problem or just wants to ask questions about recovery, my DMs are wide open.
Proud of you, gb. Keep it up.
Thank you kind sir. Miss you, GB. I always love seeing "Bob Sacamano liked/replied"

Some weeks, 7-13, others I'd be in the 14+ category and the wife is right there with me. We usually take a couple of days off during the week, not because we want to but because we just feel like we should. I love to cook and it's tough to make a nice meal, especially an Italian one, and not have a bottle of wine with it. We also have like 11 breweries within walking distance and we enjoy going for a walk and ending up at one of them for a beer or two. Usually 2 bottles of wine on weekends. Never been into hard liquor though, just beer and wine.
We know it's probably not good for our health and should cut back but we enjoy it and have fun. Some day that'll probably have to end but until then...
Where are you that 11 breweries are within walking distance? (asking for a friend ... that might want to retire there)
... or maybe you like to walk 13+ miles?

Some weeks, 7-13, others I'd be in the 14+ category and the wife is right there with me. We usually take a couple of days off during the week, not because we want to but because we just feel like we should. I love to cook and it's tough to make a nice meal, especially an Italian one, and not have a bottle of wine with it. We also have like 11 breweries within walking distance and we enjoy going for a walk and ending up at one of them for a beer or two. Usually 2 bottles of wine on weekends. Never been into hard liquor though, just beer and wine.
We know it's probably not good for our health and should cut back but we enjoy it and have fun. Some day that'll probably have to end but until then...
Where are you that 11 breweries are within walking distance? (asking for a friend ... that might want to retire there)
... or maybe you like to walk 13+ miles?
I live right in the middle of this map in Boise. (not my map)

Right. It seems like they compared heavy drinkers to light drinkers, which made it seem like the curve went straight up and to the right. Which they used as ammo for "all drinking is bad." When you zoomed back out and included non-drinkers, the old J curve was still evident.
I don’t think the tail of the J curve was ignored; rather, it was dismissed due to issues categorizing non-drinkers. A person who abstains because of chronic illness or poor financial situation is very different from a lifelong teetotaler for personal reasons, like religion. The first two groups aren’t likely to live as long, whether they drink or not. Moreover, some studies lumped former drinkers, including those who quit due to alcoholism or health issues from alcohol, with lifelong non-drinkers.

But none of that frames the WHO’s “No level of alcohol consumption is safe” stance. They argue increased cancer risk from even minimal alcohol consumption offsets whatever small cardiovascular benefit is incurred from drinking in “moderation”.
Alcohol is a toxic, psychoactive, and dependence-producing substance and has been classified as a Group 1 carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer decades ago – this is the highest risk group, which also includes asbestos, radiation and tobacco. Alcohol causes at least seven types of cancer, including the most common cancer types, such as bowel cancer and female breast cancer. Ethanol (alcohol) causes cancer through biological mechanisms as the compound breaks down in the body, which means that any beverage containing alcohol, regardless of its price and quality, poses a risk of developing cancer.
To identify a “safe” level of alcohol consumption, valid scientific evidence would need to demonstrate that at and below a certain level, there is no risk of illness or injury associated with alcohol consumption. The new WHO statement clarifies: currently available evidence cannot indicate the existence of a threshold at which the carcinogenic effects of alcohol “switch on” and start to manifest in the human body.

Moreover, there are no studies that would demonstrate that the potential beneficial effects of light and moderate drinking on cardiovascular diseases and type 2 diabetes outweigh the cancer risk associated with these same levels of alcohol consumption for individual consumers.

“We cannot talk about a so-called safe level of alcohol use. It doesn’t matter how much you drink – the risk to the drinker’s health starts from the first drop of any alcoholic beverage. The only thing that we can say for sure is that the more you drink, the more harmful it is – or, in other words, the less you drink, the safer it is,”
explains Dr Carina Ferreira-Borges, acting Unit Lead for Noncommunicable Disease Management and Regional Advisor for Alcohol and Illicit Drugs in the WHO Regional Office for Europe.

Despite this, the question of beneficial effects of alcohol has been a contentious issue in research for years.

“Potential protective effects of alcohol consumption, suggested by some studies, are tightly connected with the comparison groups chosen and the statistical methods used, and may not consider other relevant factors”, clarifies Dr Jürgen Rehm, member of the WHO Regional Director for Europe’s Advisory Council for Noncommunicable Diseases and Senior Scientist at the Institute for Mental Health Policy Research and the Campbell Family Mental Health Research Institute at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Canada.

As I posted earlier, the best I can tell, better studies (those that exclude "sick quitters") found modest mortality benefit in consuming 1/2 drink daily, versus teetotaling, or heavier alcohol consumption.

Sorry if I missed that. Can you elaborate more on the 1/2 drinks daily? Also, do you mean one to two or half a drink daily?

As I posted earlier, the best I can tell, better studies (those that exclude "sick quitters") found modest mortality benefit in consuming 1/2 drink daily, versus teetotaling, or heavier alcohol consumption.

Sorry if I missed that. Can you elaborate more on the 1/2 drinks daily? Also, do you mean one to two or half a drink daily?
I thought he meant 12 and he fat fingered the slash 😯

A standard drink is most commonly defined as one containing 10 grams of alcohol. It’s usually expressed in volume though, which varies according to the alcohol concentration of your chosen beverage.

Although it’s a little higher than 10g (closer to 14), for simplicity’s sake, you’ll hear one drink = 12 oz regular beer, 5 oz glass of wine, or a shot of liquor.

The study I mention found the lowest risk of death among those who consumed 5 grams of alcohol daily, on average. That’s one-half of a standard drink. All cause mortality was ~20% lower than teetotalers, and increased steadily among those consuming more than one half drink per day.

Feel like there needs to be a support group for those that just wanna drink a little bit every so often, but not zero and never ever blow a .01.

A standard drink is most commonly defined as one containing 10 grams of alcohol. It’s usually expressed in volume though, which varies according to the alcohol concentration of your chosen beverage.

Although it’s a little higher than 10g (closer to 14), for simplicity’s sake, you’ll hear one drink = 12 oz regular beer, 5 oz glass of wine, or a shot of liquor.

The study I mention found the lowest risk of death among those who consumed 5 grams of alcohol daily, on average. That’s one-half of a standard drink. All cause mortality was ~20% lower than teetotalers, and increased steadily among those consuming more than one half drink per day.

Thanks. So roughly 3 1/2 drinks a week?

Also, am I right in understanding it's thought spreading out the drinks is better? It's better to have 4 drinks in a week by having them spread out 1 drink a day instead of 4 drinks over a 2 day period?

I usually have a glass of wine with dinner every night. sometimes a little more if it is really good wine.
Drank lots of beer in college, sometimes too much. then went several years not drinking at all.
Learned to drink wine visiting wineries in Virginia. It took years of tastings to really develop a palate.
I really miss those wineries now that I live in another state.
When I vacation in Mexico, I do have to sample the "good" tequila.

Thanks. So roughly 3 1/2 drinks a week?

Also, am I right in understanding it's thought spreading out the drinks is better? It's better to have 4 drinks in a week by having them spread out 1 drink a day instead of 4 drinks over a 2 day period?
I don’t think it’s been studied to that level, though in general, it’s better to spread out an exposure to minimize toxicity.

Still on the same consumption schedule: a good number of vodka-based cocktails on Tuesday afternoon/evenings while watching sports or mindless TV. I NEVER get hangovers from vodka but man, I was kinda draggin' butt yesterday and - fortunately - was able to work from home yesterday so I could lay around a bit more than normal. :bag:

Last week was up in the Bay Area and had some hazy IPAs with a ladyfriend from college and while IPAs usually make me groggy the next day, I was absolutely fine the next morning after some Advil and a Vitamin Water. I find that keeping extra-hydrated really does help, especially now that I'm 50.

Going out with HS buddies on Saturday night and plan on having at least 5-6 beers over the course of at least 5-6 hours together. Will probably want to stay away from any kind of alcohol for awhile after that!

Oh, wait, I'm going to Wisconsin on Wednesday. Oops.

Definitely drinking a lot on this vacation. I’d guess I’m averaging like 10 a day

Man..we went through a lot of booze
4 adults, Saturday night through following Friday

1 half gallon of bulleit bourbon
1 5th of 4 roses small batch
0.5 5th tequila
2 5ths of white rum
1 5th of gin
1 5th of vodka
2 cases white claw
1 case corona
2 6 packs of ipa
1 bottle of sangria
Also used various amounts for Cointreau, aperol, things like that

And on top of that had drinks with lunch / dinner several times throughout the trip

Used to be every day I'd have 2 or 3 beers, with more on the weekend. Have been slowly cutting back. Now limiting to Fri/Sat and weeknights involving a live sporting event or concert. Nights that I go to the gym are pretty easy, I'm so tired and don't really have an appetite for one. It's the other nights that at first were difficult but are getting easier. I don't say they were difficult like I have alcoholic cravings, but rather it just seemed so routine for so long.
Sundays are hard, especially if I'm grilling or making a big dinner. Will still have 1 or 2 but nothing after dinner.

This has become the new normal and I'm over the "habit" part of it. However, this week has been an anomaly. Partied Sunday night, had a few Monday night, and obviously enjoying a few watching the tourney tonight.
I just wanted to add that sports in general and especially the 17 Sundays during the NFL season are by far the WORST times for me.
I can pop a few beers watching an MLB game, NBA is more of a puff puff for me but the NFL seems to be a license to drink anything in my house

What I'm saying is in the off season of the NFL, much easier to push the alcohol away
SNF-MNF-TNF, there's 3 days/nights I'm drinking Sept-Dec, add in NCAA on Saturdays, it's too easy when football is on the TV

-I know we don't see eye to eye on a lot of things but this post hit home for me
Thanks!
This is big. Sports watching drives a lot of drinking for me. Now that sports aren't on there isnt that draw.
Early on in my recovery, I wasn't able to watch sports simply for that reason. That may be overstating it, but sports was a huge trigger for me. Hell, my favorite baseball team is named after beer and their stadium was named after the beer I drank. I live in the "drunkest" state and people take pride in that. I know I did. Most people brush that kind of thing off, but for us alcoholics, it can be a big issue. But having 2-3 or 12 beers during a game was part of my routine. I'm lucky to now be able to compartmentalize the ads, the culture, the atmosphere, etc.

I may not state this enough but if anyone thinks they have a problem or just wants to ask questions about recovery, my DMs are wide open.
I grew up in that same drunkest state. Knew so many people who died from various alcohol-related conditions. It’s crazy how normal functional alcoholism is there.

Just hit 10 years without alcohol last week. Don’t miss it at all.

Definitely drinking a lot on this vacation. I’d guess I’m averaging like 10 a day

Man..we went through a lot of booze
4 adults, Saturday night through following Friday

1 half gallon of bulleit bourbon
1 5th of 4 roses small batch
0.5 5th tequila
2 5ths of white rum
1 5th of gin
1 5th of vodka
2 cases white claw
1 case corona
2 6 packs of ipa
1 bottle of sangria
Also used various amounts for Cointreau, aperol, things like that

And on top of that had drinks with lunch / dinner several times throughout the trip
Looks like you got good stuff there.

Thanks!

I grew up in that same drunkest state. Knew so many people who died from various alcohol-related conditions. It’s crazy how normal functional alcoholism is there.

How’d you quit?

Thanks!

Will say I've known two kids my kids are around that lost their mom for drinking.

The drinking culture of women now is insane. Both moms died of alchorexia. Which I didn't know was a thing.

Well, going on 50. Drank every day for about 35 years.

I plan my events around drinking. like I make sure to bring a cooler to bday parties. I golf/drink, bowl/drink, have lunch/drink, etc.

Recently cut back to M-THUR no drinking. woot. been using NA beer and its working for those days

most people think it will not work. been doing it about a month.

Thanks!

How’d you quit?
AA

Doesn’t work for everyone, but it worked for me. I tried to quit (almost) every day for 2+ years, on my own. And it didn’t work. Then things got horrible enough that I asked complete strangers for help. And that worked.

Glad to share more with anyone via PM. No pressure. Just putting it out there.

PS - my wife drinks socially and has all along. Most of my friends drink. I’m around alcohol all the time for work. It’s just not a big deal anymore.

One trend is the rise of non-alcoholic and low-alcohol options, catering to those looking to cut down on their alcohol intake. This trend is reflected in the increasing availability of alcohol-free beers, wines, and spirits in bars and stores.
My go to is lightly flavored carbonated water.

NA beer has come a long way since O'Douls. The Sam Adams Just the HAze is great for NE style IPA drinkers and the whole Athletic line is awesome. Athletic is NA only and was started as beer substitute for folks who run marathons or bike or swim. Their stuff is darn good. If you like Guinness draught then try the Guiness NA and you wont be able to tell the difference.

Reactions: KGB
One trend is the rise of non-alcoholic and low-alcohol options, catering to those looking to cut down on their alcohol intake. This trend is reflected in the increasing availability of alcohol-free beers, wines, and spirits in bars and stores.
Total win has a great selection of na beer.

I really like the
Guinness
Dechutes
Blue moon
Sam Adams golden

Do t like ipas anyway.

Imo, these are great. I drink them pretty much m/Thurs

NA beer has come a long way since O'Douls. The Sam Adams Just the HAze is great for NE style IPA drinkers and the whole Athletic line is awesome. Athletic is NA only and was started as beer substitute for folks who run marathons or bike or swim. Their stuff is darn good. If you like Guinness draught then try the Guiness NA and you wont be able to tell the difference.
Local brewery started a new offshoot that is NA and better than any others I've had like athletic. drinkenay.com

I have not had a drink since college (33 years). I simply don't like the taste of alcohol, no other reason.
I’m glad someone else is in this boat. I’ve tried so many types of alcohol and just don’t like the taste. It makes for an awkward moment now and again but I’m old and don’t care anymore.

Thanks!

Will say I've known two kids my kids are around that lost their mom for drinking.

The drinking culture of women now is insane. Both moms died of alchorexia. Which I didn't know was a thing.

If something would get me to quit drinking (other than a directive from my doc) it would be to help ensure none of my kids have an issue. I’ve always had my drinking under control and I think it’s due to me starting to drink later in life so I worry about them and their decisions.

I also am not sure I buy it when people (some I know in real life) tell me they only drink beer because they like the taste.

That would be like smoking marijuana without any marijuana in it.

Of course it's not 100%, but it's my opinion almost everyone drinks alcohol for the effect.

I also am not sure I buy it when people (some I know in real life) tell me they only drink beer because they like the taste.

Of course it's not 100%, but it's my opinion almost everyone drinks alcohol for the effect.

I agree with this save the super high proof sweet stouts. Those things can be insanely delicious and I would drink that drink if it tasted that way but without alcohol.

I genuinely like the taste of beer, red wine, and whisky… but zero chance I would choose them if they didn’t contain alcohol.

I agree with this save the super high proof sweet stouts. Those things can be insanely delicious and I would drink that drink if it tasted that way but without alcohol.
Feel the same way about some sours and similar.

Largely agree, though I believe a segment of society drinks neither for the taste or buzz - they drink mainly for acceptance, due to peer pressure.

But I also don’t understand why anyone seeks out the feeling, which is worse than the taste imo.

But I also don’t understand why anyone seeks out the feeling, which is worse than the taste imo.

Imagine people who are introverted or anxious and don’t feel like their authentic self is good enough or expressive enough or fun enough. Then add a chemical that takes the feelings of inadequacy and inhibition or anxiousness away and—voila!—you’ve got a potent potable, in the words of Alex Trebek.

I had never felt like myself fully and completely until drunk at twenty-three. I spent the next twenty-two years crippling myself chasing that euphoria. It worked for two years, tops. Then it was a total anchor. But in those two years there was a completeness, or so I thought. Now I work to be the authentic self without intoxicants. It hasn’t quite ever gotten to be rapturous bliss, but it is so much more fulfilling and rewarding than those twenty wasted years. And those two years of bliss were an illusion. I don’t really miss them, either.

Last edited:

The non-alcoholic beer market is a $25 billion dollar industry, how do you explain that?

The non-alcoholic beer market is a $25 billion dollar industry, how do you explain that?
Yeah, I’m sure people acquire the taste. What I have more trouble believing, is some people claim they liked the taste of booze (and beer, in particular) from the first sip.

I also think there’s a slight societal shift to destigmatize non-drinkers, but mocktails and N.A. beers still alleviate the pressure to drink an “adult” beverage.

Imagine people who are introverted or anxious and don’t feel like their authentic self is good enough or expressive enough or fun enough. Then add a chemical that takes the feelings of inadequacy and inhibition or anxiousness away and—voila!—you’ve got a potent potable, in the words of Alex Trebek.

I had never felt like myself fully and completely until drunk at twenty-three. I spent the next twenty-two years crippling myself chasing that euphoria. It worked for two years, tops. Then it was a total anchor. But in those two years there was a completeness, or so I thought. Now I work to be the authentic self without intoxicants. It hasn’t quite ever gotten to be rapturous bliss, but it is so much more fulfilling and rewarding than those twenty wasted years. And those two years of bliss were an illusion. I don’t really miss them, either.
Yeah, that’s not my personality - I’m introverted, but not anxious at all, nor worried about impressing anyone.

I can appreciate your explanation, along with the ubiquitous, but also somewhat foreign desire to “relax”.

Yeah, I’m sure people acquire the taste. What I have more trouble believing, is some people claim they liked the taste of booze (and beer, in particular) from the first sip.

I also think there’s a slight societal shift to destigmatize non-drinkers, but mocktails and N.A. beers still alleviate the pressure to drink an “adult” beverage.
2nd point is valid but think it's a strange comment - which I know you didn't make - to say nobody drinks beer for the taste.

2nd point is valid but think it's a strange comment - which I know you didn't make - to say nobody drinks beer for the taste.

Ah, he didn’t say that exactly. He said that nobody would drink it for the taste unless it affected them in some way. That is not equal to nobody drinks it for the taste. They’re very subtly different, but they are not equal.

Meh. My dad was a beer snob. He drank good beer. I used to fetch him beers as a little kid. I would sometimes take a tiny sip before I brought them out to him. I was the “beer mouse”. I liked the way they tasted. Granted it was a fun game and a bonding moment with my dad. But I certainly didn’t think it was gross or anything. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread