What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 2014 K (kickers) Thread (1 Viewer)

GreenBay kept going for 2 in the preseason game. And Crosby struggled to get the ball down the field on kickoffs.

GreenBay kept going for 2 in the preseason game. And Crosby struggled to get the ball down the field on kickoffs.
This couldn't be more wrong. Going for 2-pt conversions had absolutely nothing to do with Crosby's performance. All part of the game plan to get work on short yardage situation. Afterall, it is PRESEASON.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11406412/detroit-lions-cut-giorgio-tavecchio-settle-nate-freese

Excerpt:

The Detroit Lions have ended their kicking competition and settled on their draft pick.

A source told ESPN.com that the team waived kicker Giorgio Tavecchio on Monday morning, meaning the Lions will go with -- at least for now -- seventh-round draft pick Nate Freese as their kicker for 2014.

Freese, out of Boston College, had been perfect on field goals during his final college season (20 of 20) but struggled intermittently during training camp, including a missed extra point against Oakland in the second preseason game. In that same game, he made a 55-yard field goal.

Lions coach Jim Caldwell continually called the competition close, but Freese also spent the whole camp working with punter Sam Martin, who is also the team's holder.
Where does this place Freese in the rankings for you guys? A guy to target?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11406412/detroit-lions-cut-giorgio-tavecchio-settle-nate-freese

Excerpt:

The Detroit Lions have ended their kicking competition and settled on their draft pick.

A source told ESPN.com that the team waived kicker Giorgio Tavecchio on Monday morning, meaning the Lions will go with -- at least for now -- seventh-round draft pick Nate Freese as their kicker for 2014.

Freese, out of Boston College, had been perfect on field goals during his final college season (20 of 20) but struggled intermittently during training camp, including a missed extra point against Oakland in the second preseason game. In that same game, he made a 55-yard field goal.

Lions coach Jim Caldwell continually called the competition close, but Freese also spent the whole camp working with punter Sam Martin, who is also the team's holder.
Where does this place Freese in the rankings for you guys? A guy to target?
Meh. Not exactly.

I feel like there's a group of guys you're excited about if they happen to fall to you, then there's a group of guys you're willing to roster, then there's a group of guys you'd rather not have anything to do with.

I'd tentatively put Freese in that second group, just based on the likely offensive output. :shrug:

This couldn't be more wrong. Going for 2-pt conversions had absolutely nothing to do with Crosby's performance. All part of the game plan to get work on short yardage situation. Afterall, it is PRESEASON.
I stated a fact. I didn't make a comment on what it meant. Saying I couldn't be more wrong based on me highlighting a fact seems overly defensive.

However since you have already attacked a position I didn't take (the position that Crosby has a performance issue), I may as we'll take a side on it. So......

I always find it funny when fantasy football guys cling to ever word some assistant coach may say in camp, they scour boards like this for tidbits of info, and then when players take the field in preseason and you can actually see how they are doing, every observation is dismissed because after all, it is PRESEASON. The fact is there is very little differentiation amongst kickers, and any leg up is helpful. I have a single team doing something I have seen no other team doing in preseason, not kicking extra points in week 3. That should at least raise an eyebrow. Combine that with the kicker laying eggs on kickoffs...

2-M.Crosby kicks 48 yards from GB 35 to OAK 17, out of bounds.

2-M.Crosby kicks 65 yards from GB 35 to end zone, Touchback.

2-M.Crosby kicks 59 yards from GB 35 to OAK 6. 32-J.Stewart to OAK 22 for 16 yards (58-S.Barrington).

2-M.Crosby kicks 65 yards from GB 35 to end zone, Touchback.

2-M.Crosby kicks 62 yards from GB 35 to OAK 3. 28-L.Murray pushed ob at OAK 29 for 26 yards (45-J.Doughty).

Then combine the fact that this kicker is one year removed from one of the all time bad kicking performances, and I think it is worthy to note that they weren't kicking extra points. Maybe it is nothing, maybe they are protecting a frail confidence, maybe he is sooooooo good now they don't need to see reps. However if you are looking at a mess of kickers trying to sort out some reason to choose or pass on a guy, it may be enough to pass regardless of the reason. Of course if you already drafted the guy, you may be inclined to ignore it and say it is just preseason.

Have the Saints announced who has won the competition between Shayne Graham and Derek Dimke??
"Payton said Monday that he expects the race to go down to the wire. The Saints' final preseason game is Thursday night at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome against the Baltimore Ravens. Final roster cuts are due by Saturday afternoon. "It's one of the (positions) we probably discuss every time that we are discussing personnel," Payton said of the kicking job. "Both of them have done well in practice. Tomorrow we will try to create a competition period again and then give them plenty of work on Thursday." Payton insisted none of those discussions have reached a consensus." - NOLA

Last edited by a moderator:
There's your kicker for a few weeks if you've been waiting to grab one. Any kicker playing a mile high with the best offense in football is a good bet.

Eagles K Cody Parkey went 3-of-3 on field goals in Thursday night's preseason finale, including two from 50-plus.

This should be the end of the Alex Henery era in Philadelphia. The shaky Henery has never made a single field goal longer than 51 yards in his career, and Parkey goes out and makes one from 53 and another from 54. We'll know for certain on Saturday, but it's looking like kicker streamers can turn to Parkey.
Gotta be honest... Kelly's offense generates opportunities, and they've been dying to replace Henery by their actions this offseason... Parkey may just be my guy headed into the year. Henery only made 82% of his kicks last year, and he only attempted 2 from 50+ which was tied for 27th among kickers (for reference, 6 guys attempted 7 50+ yarders with 6 more attempting 6 50+ yarders).

Point being... the stats *suggest* Kelly and the Eagles didn't trust Henery from distance... if they trust Parkey, he could be a nice find.

Is Sturgis gonna get cut in Miami? I took him in one league and we can't make moves prior to W1. :kicksrock:

Kickers are just a nuisance. I always wait until the last round and throw a dart from among the ones remaining on decent offenses.

Mike, can you put "Kicker" in the title when you get a chance? "K" is impossible to search for.

I was gonna start this exact thread after not finding it in a search, but I just happened to see it on page 1 first.

Cody Parkey made the Eagles 53 man roster. Henery likely done in Philadelphia. Thoughts/projections for Parkey this season?

Mike,

Who are your favorite kickers that are floating under the radar right now?

I always like to wait on grabbing my kicker, so the big names are always gone when it is my turn to secure a kicker.

Cheers,

Faust

Eagles K Cody Parkey went 3-of-3 on field goals in Thursday night's preseason finale, including two from 50-plus.

This should be the end of the Alex Henery era in Philadelphia. The shaky Henery has never made a single field goal longer than 51 yards in his career, and Parkey goes out and makes one from 53 and another from 54. We'll know for certain on Saturday, but it's looking like kicker streamers can turn to Parkey.
Gotta be honest... Kelly's offense generates opportunities, and they've been dying to replace Henery by their actions this offseason... Parkey may just be my guy headed into the year. Henery only made 82% of his kicks last year, and he only attempted 2 from 50+ which was tied for 27th among kickers (for reference, 6 guys attempted 7 50+ yarders with 6 more attempting 6 50+ yarders).

Point being... the stats *suggest* Kelly and the Eagles didn't trust Henery from distance... if they trust Parkey, he could be a nice find.
Or Kelly is a guy who generally likes to go for it from that distance.

Or Kelly is a guy who generally likes to go for it from that distance.
:goodposting: I think that has a lot to do with the lack of long attempts.

That just leaves Succop/Santos as the only one not yet determined. The biggest one for me in my 16 team start 2 PK league. I guess the Graham/Dimke news also but Dimke looked like he pulled ahead

Of course, their could be more changes. I think this year could have many changes and those in masters leagues will have a tough time getting the correct correct. DRaft them early in these type of leagues and get the guys who are secure.

Saints cut both Graham & Dimke
I saw Graham cut, but Dimke too? Any insight on who there kicker will be?
Dimke did not look good in PS game 4 Thursday night. Graham missed one of those long XP's in PS game 1 or 2, I bet Payton was not amused, especially considering what happened in Seattle.

I hope they are looking at one of these hotshot young long kickers - or maybe they are just juggling the roster, but this areas has got to be improved. Would love to see a Sturgis or Santos. Or maybe they're looking at a vet like Feely.

I'll throw some names out there for the Saints (knowing I have no real idea.... but these are K's I would like to see come in):

• Connor Barth
  • Rob Bironas
  • Jay Feely
  • Chris Boswell
Opening in Atlanta, might not be best to have his tryout then, so maybe it will likely be a vet.

In preparation for a draft-only league, I went through and rated each team's kicker based on their job security. Here's what I have, where the number is intended to be something like the probability that the kicker will have the job all season (barring injury):

1.0 Dawson, Phil SFO PK

1.0 Gould, Robbie CHI PK

1.0 Prater, Matt DEN PK SUSPENDED

1.0 Bailey, Dan DAL PK

1.0 Scobee, Josh JAC PK

1.0 Folk, Nick NYJ PK

1.0 Gano, Graham CAR PK

1.0 Gostkowski, Stephen NEP PK

1.0 Zuerlein, Greg STL PK

1.0 Tucker, Justin BAL PK

1.0 Hauschka, Steven SEA PK

0.95 Nugent, Mike CIN PK

0.95 Cundiff, Billy CLE PK

0.95 Novak, Nick SDC PK

0.95 Vinatieri, Adam IND PK

0.95 Sturgis, Caleb MIA PK

0.95 Suisham, Shaun PIT PK

0.95 Walsh, Blair MIN PK

0.90 Barth, Connor TBB PK CUT

0.90 Bryant, Matt ATL PK

0.90 Brown, Josh NYG PK

0.90 Crosby, Mason GBP PK

0.90 Janikowski, Sebastian OAK PK

0.85 Carpenter, Dan BUF PK

0.85 Feely, Jay ARI PK CUT

0.85 Graham, Shayne NOS PK CUT

0.80 Succop, Ryan KCC PK CUT

0.80 Freese, Nate DET PK

0.70 Henery, Alex PHI PK CUT

0.70 Bullock, Randy HOU PK

0.65 Forbath, Kai WAS PK

0.50 Bonani, Maikon TEN PK CUT

Anyone look out of place in this list? (Especially guys who I have below 0.90 who should be above 0.90, or vice versa.)
(Cuts added above in bold).

Looks like I did pretty well with the ranking here, although more of the frontrunners got cut than I expected. Prater's suspension is the only woe to hit the 18 guys who I rated 0.95 or higher, and the 9 guys who I rated 0.85 or lower accounted for 5 of the 6 cuts.

There were 4 guys who others in this thread said I was too low on (Feely, Graham, Succop, Carpenter); 3 of them got cut.

In preparation for a draft-only league, I went through and rated each team's kicker based on their job security. Here's what I have, where the number is intended to be something like the probability that the kicker will have the job all season (barring injury):

1.0 Dawson, Phil SFO PK

1.0 Gould, Robbie CHI PK

1.0 Prater, Matt DEN PK SUSPENDED

1.0 Bailey, Dan DAL PK

1.0 Scobee, Josh JAC PK

1.0 Folk, Nick NYJ PK

1.0 Gano, Graham CAR PK

1.0 Gostkowski, Stephen NEP PK

1.0 Zuerlein, Greg STL PK

1.0 Tucker, Justin BAL PK

1.0 Hauschka, Steven SEA PK

0.95 Nugent, Mike CIN PK

0.95 Cundiff, Billy CLE PK

0.95 Novak, Nick SDC PK

0.95 Vinatieri, Adam IND PK

0.95 Sturgis, Caleb MIA PK

0.95 Suisham, Shaun PIT PK

0.95 Walsh, Blair MIN PK

0.90 Barth, Connor TBB PK CUT

0.90 Bryant, Matt ATL PK

0.90 Brown, Josh NYG PK

0.90 Crosby, Mason GBP PK

0.90 Janikowski, Sebastian OAK PK

0.85 Carpenter, Dan BUF PK

0.85 Feely, Jay ARI PK CUT

0.85 Graham, Shayne NOS PK CUT

0.80 Succop, Ryan KCC PK CUT

0.80 Freese, Nate DET PK

0.70 Henery, Alex PHI PK CUT

0.70 Bullock, Randy HOU PK

0.65 Forbath, Kai WAS PK

0.50 Bonani, Maikon TEN PK CUT

Anyone look out of place in this list? (Especially guys who I have below 0.90 who should be above 0.90, or vice versa.)
(Cuts added above in bold).

Looks like I did pretty well with the ranking here, although more of the frontrunners got cut than I expected. Prater's suspension is the only woe to hit the 18 guys who I rated 0.95 or higher, and the 9 guys who I rated 0.85 or lower accounted for 5 of the 6 cuts.

There were 4 guys who others in this thread said I was too low on (Feely, Graham, Succop, Carpenter); 3 of them got cut.
Man, whoever said Carpenter was too low must have been really plugged in. :thumbup:

gbill2004 said:
Interesting Mike doesn't answer questions in here anymore; just posts links to his blog.
Certainly appears to be the trend...

Most of the conversation in the thread comes from the shark pool vets. While the links provide interesting reading, credit to you guys for providing discussion and insight.

gbill2004 said:
Interesting Mike doesn't answer questions in here anymore; just posts links to his blog.
Certainly appears to be the trend...Most of the conversation in the thread comes from the shark pool vets. While the links provide interesting reading, credit to you guys for providing discussion and insight.
It's a little unfortunate because I really valued Mike's opinion and analysis.

Nothing to add, but really appreciate this thread as I am drafting today.

Never thought a kicker thread would be so relevant given all the cuts.

Economics on these PK's would be an interesting add

Because a guy like Succop did not lose his job due to inability but due to the financial constraints and a young guy doing just as well but costing 2 million less.

Has it come down to the day, where a PK is lucky to get more than 500, 000 a year or their job is in peril.

Economics on these PK's would be an interesting add

Because a guy like Succop did not lose his job due to inability but due to the financial constraints and a young guy doing just as well but costing 2 million less.

Has it come down to the day, where a PK is lucky to get more than 500, 000 a year or their job is in peril.
Good point. Same was true of Conner Barth.This is the type of discussion that would be valuable here.

Users who are viewing this thread