What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (1 Viewer)

Yeah I really don't understand the passing game. Other teams nickel and dime us right down the field mitigating the pass rush and we act like we have never heard of a slant. Benjamin, Funchess and Olsen should eat defemses alive with 5-7 yard receptions they just can't stop. Add a little YAC and next thing you know we are in the red zone.  It's really frustrating.

Yeah I really don't understand the passing game. Other teams nickel and dime us right down the field mitigating the pass rush and we act like we have never heard of a slant. Benjamin, Funchess and Olsen should eat defemses alive with 5-7 yard receptions they just can't stop. Add a little YAC and next thing you know we are in the red zone.  It's really frustrating.
Good point. Our pressure on Keenum was equivalent to what the Rams had, but they had more sacks. The YAC problem is more due to Cam's inaccuracy. Multiple times we had incompletions or no YAC because the receivers had to make a diving play instead of a catch and run.

Good point. Our pressure on Keenum was equivalent to what the Rams had, but they had more sacks. The YAC problem is more due to Cam's inaccuracy. Multiple times we had incompletions or no YAC because the receivers had to make a diving play instead of a catch and run.
I think Cam has gotten better but yeah he is part of the YAC problem. Still even if all you get is say 5 yards that is fine. As long as we keep moving the chains. It's like a decent run. And defenses would have to be a lot more honest in their play. It should make the running game better. Can't crowd the line or we kill you on short fast passes.

I just don't get it. 

I think Cam has gotten better but yeah he is part of the YAC problem. Still even if all you get is say 5 yards that is fine. As long as we keep moving the chains. It's like a decent run. And defenses would have to be a lot more honest in their play. It should make the running game better. Can't crowd the line or we kill you on short fast passes.

I just don't get it. 
Exactly.  A five yard out route with Olsen and/or Benjamin is mostly unstoppable.  I'd take that every time.  Would open up so much more.  

The YAC problem is more due to Cam's inaccuracy. Multiple times we had incompletions or no YAC because the receivers had to make a diving play instead of a catch and run.
Cam has reverted back to throwing off his heels and "slinging" the ball, which tends to float high.  He's had so much pressure maybe he feels he can't step into any throws.  But it has really effected his accuracy from last season.  I don't think he trusts his blockers.  

In the Arizona game it seemed they finally put in a few short passing routes, but against the Rams they barely did. Why not dink and dunk sometimes? It is successful for other teams when there isn't time to throw downfield all the time.

In the Arizona game it seemed they finally put in a few short passing routes, but against the Rams they barely did. Why not dink and dunk sometimes? It is successful for other teams when there isn't time to throw downfield all the time.
Especially with these huge receivers. Benjamin is fast for his size but he isn't "fast". Why run all these deep routes to him? Slants, curls, stop routes should be his bread and butter. Box out the smaller DB and catch the ball or get a call. Then mix in a double move down the field and you have something.

NCCommish said:
Especially with these huge receivers. Benjamin is fast for his size but he isn't "fast". Why run all these deep routes to him? Slants, curls, stop routes should be his bread and butter. Box out the smaller DB and catch the ball or get a call. Then mix in a double move down the field and you have something.
Remember the preseason excitement of Funchess and Benjamin in those handful of drives Cam played. I recall both of them having those easy short TDs where the CB had no chance. Box the out and extend the arms and there is no CB in the NFL that can't reach around any of our big guys and knock away the ball.

It makes me more sure that we really need a new OC or even an assistant with better play calling. We need to add some stuff we never do or don't do enough. We put Cam in harm's way and don't take advantage of our size as much as we should. It might help our D not give up leads if we knew the offense was good for at least a few easy first downs. To many 3 and outs when we get up. 

Last edited by a moderator:
ugh.  Another game symbolic of the whole season.  17-3 lead in the 3rd and gives up the game.  Set a franchise record with a 20 play drive... no points.  How is that possible?  Well, Cam, once again, takes two sacks that takes us right out of FG range.  Just unacceptable.  20 play drive, no points.  Think about that a minute.  Sack Sack Sack Sack Sack Sack Sack Sack.

Hard to blame Benjamin for the strip, but come on man..  Time running down just go down.  The extra half yard isn't going to do anything but take off a few seconds.  But really, come on man.   

And I know the O-line is full of backups with Kalil and Oher still out, but we have zero running game anymore... and oh, sack sack sack sack.  

When is it time to start hoping for a top ten pick next spring?  

ugh.  Another game symbolic of the whole season.  17-3 lead in the 3rd and gives up the game.  Set a franchise record with a 20 play drive... no points.  How is that possible?  Well, Cam, once again, takes two sacks that takes us right out of FG range.  Just unacceptable.  20 play drive, no points.  Think about that a minute.  Sack Sack Sack Sack Sack Sack Sack Sack.

Hard to blame Benjamin for the strip, but come on man..  Time running down just go down.  The extra half yard isn't going to do anything but take off a few seconds.  But really, come on man.   

And I know the O-line is full of backups with Kalil and Oher still out, but we have zero running game anymore... and oh, sack sack sack sack.  

Now is a good time. Honestly, that one drive was the game. As you said, 1st and 10 on the KC 20 and instead of calling 3 runs to milk the clock and guarantee a chip shot FG, we get 3 passes and a loss of 20 yards. Heck, even before the 3rd down play we still had a shot at a 45 yard FG. Call it stupid, but at least run on 3rd and 18 to make sure you still get a shot at a FG. Shula needs to go, big time. A FG at the end of that drive means you are up 20-3, a 3 score lead at the start of the 4th quarter. We run 3 times* and we win the game. We also likely don't turn the ball over twice because we don't need to pass anymore. Ugh, the offense and special teams have lost 4 of the 6 games (Denver, Tampa, Minnesota and KC) and helped lose to NO (INT on 1st and 10, missed XP). I know so many harped on the young secondary, but they've really only played poorly in the NO and Atlanta games where we also had injuries to the CBs. The offense/play calling/special teams has really screwed up way more games.

I hate to say it, but at this point, I think we have no shot at the playoffs. We have a brutal schedule coming up with the West Coast trip and we have 0 room for error. 9-7 is not going to cut it. Awful to think we blow a game in hand when Atlanta and NO both lose.

* By the way, I know Shula knows how to run 3 straight times. We did that on our last drive against Tampa in order to not get a 1st down when the score was 14-14 and Tampa thus gets a chance to win the game with a FG and they do.

I'll never pull for the team to lose just so they can get top ten pick. Great picks can be had after the top 10. It is likely the Panthers won't make the playoffs, but they can play spoiler to other teams, and work on improving as a whole. 

I'll never pull for the team to lose just so they can get top ten pick. Great picks can be had after the top 10. It is likely the Panthers won't make the playoffs, but they can play spoiler to other teams, and work on improving as a whole. 
They can work on improving as a whole by dumping Shula. It's time. He's worn out his love from last year that was more luck and Newton bailing the team out again and again. Cam not playing as well and man, the play calling just looks awful. How can you ever screw up kicking a chip shot to go up 17 to enter the 4th quarter against a team who put up 3 points in 3 quarters. We've just had so many sacks/INTs cost us points this year or just insane play calls. 1st down a few minutes left, tie game, 3 straight runs followed by punt and game winning drive by Tampa. 1st and goal against NO, INT, no points. 1st and goat at the 1 yard line against Tampa, INT, no points. Right before the half against Minnesota, 2nd and 3 in FG range, 2 passes for 1 sack and 1 INT, no points. I know there are other instances of bad play calls which knocked us out of FG range as well, but these are just off the top of my head.

I don't even care if the offense changes, just get someone who knows how to game plan and calls good plays within the framework of the current offense.

I don't even care if the offense changes, just get someone who knows how to game plan and calls good plays within the framework of the current offense.
I would like to see what a new OC could do with the offense. I would like some creativity, game adjustments, and not going into conservative mode when there is a lead at the half. So many times it is a tale of two halves for the Panthers this year.

The defense has improved recently, but teams are adjusting against them in the second half of games, and they don't do as well during that time. The Rams would have probably beaten us had Kendricks not dropped that touchdown pass. I believe Kelce dropped a touchdown pass in the second half too, but they ended up beating us anyway.

I would like to see what a new OC could do with the offense. I would like some creativity, game adjustments, and not going into conservative mode when there is a lead at the half. So many times it is a tale of two halves for the Panthers this year.
Same thing last year too :shrug:  

Just a heads up, if you're looking for Cam's completion percentage in the stats, make sure your scroll down key is in good working order.

I think the Panthers will play spoiler to some teams down the stretch.  I also think there are teams that do not want to play the Panthers in December.  I don't advocate for losing on purpose.  But it's frustrating and I'd rather have a good draft pick in each round (not just a top ten in the first) than miss the playoffs and get the last non-playoff team slot each round.  

Now is a good time. Honestly, that one drive was the game. As you said, 1st and 10 on the KC 20 and instead of calling 3 runs to milk the clock and guarantee a chip shot FG, we get 3 passes and a loss of 20 yards. Heck, even before the 3rd down play we still had a shot at a 45 yard FG. Call it stupid, but at least run on 3rd and 18 to make sure you still get a shot at a FG. Shula needs to go, big time. A FG at the end of that drive means you are up 20-3, a 3 score lead at the start of the 4th quarter. We run 3 times* and we win the game. We also likely don't turn the ball over twice because we don't need to pass anymore. Ugh, the offense and special teams have lost 4 of the 6 games (Denver, Tampa, Minnesota and KC) and helped lose to NO (INT on 1st and 10, missed XP). I know so many harped on the young secondary, but they've really only played poorly in the NO and Atlanta games where we also had injuries to the CBs. The offense/play calling/special teams has really screwed up way more games.

I hate to say it, but at this point, I think we have no shot at the playoffs. We have a brutal schedule coming up with the West Coast trip and we have 0 room for error. 9-7 is not going to cut it. Awful to think we blow a game in hand when Atlanta and NO both lose.

* By the way, I know Shula knows how to run 3 straight times. We did that on our last drive against Tampa in order to not get a 1st down when the score was 14-14 and Tampa thus gets a chance to win the game with a FG and they do.
Agree 100% on Shula.  The play calling is awful and Cam can't always bail out the OC with his athleticism.  Shula has no clue how to adjust during the game.  

RE: Cam Newton... Like Rivera said after the game, you can't take back to back sacks right there.  You just can't do that. Cam has to know where he is on the field and, more importantly, he needs to know the situation of the game.  But, as you said, if Shula runs the ball and clock there, we get a FG and run time off the clock, which was our ally at the time.  

20 play drive and have to punt.  I just can't over that.  And I think missing Andy Lee hurt too.  He's great at punting down inside the 10.  Gano just punts it through the end zone.. boom.. from mid field.  Net gain, 20 yards.  ugh.  

I think the Panthers will play spoiler to some teams down the stretch.  I also think there are teams that do not want to play the Panthers in December.  I don't advocate for losing on purpose.  But it's frustrating and I'd rather have a good draft pick in each round (not just a top ten in the first) than miss the playoffs and get the last non-playoff team slot each round.  
Agreed. That's the tough one here. Finishing 9-7 and just missing the playoffs to get the #18 pick doesn't really help us.

We all know coulda, shoulda, woulda with a zillion plays, penalties, botched calls, etc. that we would be leading the division and at worst be looking at a wild card. 5-3 and 5-3-1 are wild cards right now and if the Giants lose, then 5-3-1 and 5-4 are wild cards. If Cincy wins tonight, we blew a week in which GB, Minny, NO, Atlanta and maybe the Giants all lost. Breaks my heart just thinking about losing 20 yards instead of kicking a chip shot FG to ice the game yesterday.

Anyway, we are 3-6, period. We are 4th in our division and 9th in the wild card standings. At this point, I'd rather not make a run because the deck is so stacked against us. We are inline for pick #7. Not earth shattering, but pick 7, 39, 71, 97 (I could see Norman getting us the #1 3rd round comp pick) and say 110 is a nice haul through 4 rounds. The comp pick and 4th round pick have value of 186 in draft pick value chart here. That alone would help us move up from pick 71 all the way to pick 48 if we wanted to move up and have pick 7, 39 and 48. Not saying we will, but 3 top 50 guys in this draft could easily net us a top OT, DE and RB and by top I mean impact. Or we could stay pick get an impact OT/DE and a good DB and RB.

They can work on improving as a whole by dumping Shula. It's time. He's worn out his love from last year that was more luck and Newton bailing the team out again and again. Cam not playing as well and man, the play calling just looks awful. How can you ever screw up kicking a chip shot to go up 17 to enter the 4th quarter against a team who put up 3 points in 3 quarters. We've just had so many sacks/INTs cost us points this year or just insane play calls. 1st down a few minutes left, tie game, 3 straight runs followed by punt and game winning drive by Tampa. 1st and goal against NO, INT, no points. 1st and goat at the 1 yard line against Tampa, INT, no points. Right before the half against Minnesota, 2nd and 3 in FG range, 2 passes for 1 sack and 1 INT, no points. I know there are other instances of bad play calls which knocked us out of FG range as well, but these are just off the top of my head.

Agree 100% on Shula.  The play calling is awful and Cam can't always bail out the OC with his athleticism.  Shula has no clue how to adjust during the game.  

RE: Cam Newton... Like Rivera said after the game, you can't take back to back sacks right there.  You just can't do that. Cam has to know where he is on the field and, more importantly, he needs to know the situation of the game.  But, as you said, if Shula runs the ball and clock there, we get a FG and run time off the clock, which was our ally at the time.  

20 play drive and have to punt.  I just can't over that.  And I think missing Andy Lee hurt too.  He's great at punting down inside the 10.  Gano just punts it through the end zone.. boom.. from mid field.  Net gain, 20 yards.  ugh.  
I was absolutely floored when Shula was mentioned as a coaching candidate last year before the Panthers went through the postseason run.  Too bad someone didn't hire him.  I've not been a fan since he took the job... after Cleveland bailed Carolina out from the last poor OC they had in Chud.  Then  they turn around and hire Shula over Hugh Jackson (who wanted the job!)... just think what Hugh could've done with this offensive talent.

If they fired Shula, they'd likely just promote Dorsey, but frankly that's not such a bad thing right now. 

I was absolutely floored when Shula was mentioned as a coaching candidate last year before the Panthers went through the postseason run.  Too bad someone didn't hire him.  I've not been a fan since he took the job... after Cleveland bailed Carolina out from the last poor OC they had in Chud.  Then  they turn around and hire Shula over Hugh Jackson (who wanted the job!)... just think what Hugh could've done with this offensive talent.

If they fired Shula, they'd likely just promote Dorsey, but frankly that's not such a bad thing right now. 
:doh:

Agreed. That's the tough one here. Finishing 9-7 and just missing the playoffs to get the #18 pick doesn't really help us.

We all know coulda, shoulda, woulda with a zillion plays, penalties, botched calls, etc. that we would be leading the division and at worst be looking at a wild card. 5-3 and 5-3-1 are wild cards right now and if the Giants lose, then 5-3-1 and 5-4 are wild cards. If Cincy wins tonight, we blew a week in which GB, Minny, NO, Atlanta and maybe the Giants all lost. Breaks my heart just thinking about losing 20 yards instead of kicking a chip shot FG to ice the game yesterday.

Anyway, we are 3-6, period. We are 4th in our division and 9th in the wild card standings. At this point, I'd rather not make a run because the deck is so stacked against us. We are inline for pick #7. Not earth shattering, but pick 7, 39, 71, 97 (I could see Norman getting us the #1 3rd round comp pick) and say 110 is a nice haul through 4 rounds. The comp pick and 4th round pick have value of 186 in draft pick value chart here. That alone would help us move up from pick 71 all the way to pick 48 if we wanted to move up and have pick 7, 39 and 48. Not saying we will, but 3 top 50 guys in this draft could easily net us a top OT, DE and RB and by top I mean impact. Or we could stay pick get an impact OT/DE and a good DB and RB.
That's what I'm talking about.  The best available OT or DE (pass rusher!) first.  I'd love to be in a position to grab Dalvin Cook in the 2nd or move up in the 3rd.  

Dallas is seeing the fruits of drafting good OL and a good RB in Elliott.  Their OL has been there for a few years, though.  Elliott was the perfect back for them to get.  I hope Fournette is not there and/or tempting for DG to get.  That guy needs an eye formation and a hole to run through.  Alabama is more indicative of the NFL run defenses he'll see than Ole Miss, and you see how ineffective he is against them.  And we line up more in the shotgun.  Fournette = no.  Cook, imo, would be more of an impact player in this offense.  But it's probably all wishful thinking.  DG may think he needs more D-tackles.  

Actual net gain 0 yards, by not running three times and guaranteeing a chip shot FG to ice the game. In no way shape or form should the result of that drive be a punt. The worst result of that drive had to be a FG. Then we also don't risk floating a terrible pass for a pick 6 because we kept KC in the game. As you said, it is knowing the situations. That is where I think Cam has trouble because he feels he can make plays regardless of situation, but that is on the OC for not putting in a play call that puts Cam in that situation. Going for it on 4th and 1 on that drive was a great call and result, but even though you took that risk, it doesn't mean that you have to get a TD. You need to know that a FG is more than good enough. KC has 3 points in 3 quarters. Going up by two TDs and a FG means you can tell Cam that he cannot risk an INT on our side of the field.

It's funny because we almost lost numerous games last year because we got conservative. Well, those QBs were Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck and heck even Eli Manning. I know Eli isn't the cream of the crop, but he's had many great games. Alex Smith's career best is 23 TDs. He's averaging barely over 1 TD per game with KC. A 2 TD and 1 FG lead is pretty damn safe in the 4th quarter unless you blow the FG opportunity and then give them 11 points. We essentially handed them 14 points in a 3 point loss.

Since October 2014, Alex Smith has had exactly 1 game with 3 TDs and our coaches aren't willing to take a 2 TD and 1 FG lead into the 4th quarter. Alex Smith had 1 game in his career with more than 3 TDs and even in that game where Jamal Charles was special (took 4 screen passes to the house for a combined 175 yards), Alex Smith's best was 2 TDs in 1 quarter. So, the only time he had a huge TD game was really due to Jamal Charles at his height of studliness (a place Ware will never get to), not due to Alex Smith being Aaron Rodgers. And yet, our OC didn't deem the situation necessary to get a 3 score lead and not blow already being in range for a 37 yard FG.

Ugh, this season has just been soul draining, especially for an analytical guy like me who sees all the #### we did to blow games we should have won.

That's what I'm talking about.  The best available OT or DE (pass rusher!) first.  I'd love to be in a position to grab Dalvin Cook in the 2nd or move up in the 3rd.  

Dallas is seeing the fruits of drafting good OL and a good RB in Elliott.  Their OL has been there for a few years, though.  Elliott was the perfect back for them to get.  I hope Fournette is not there and/or tempting for DG to get.  That guy needs an eye formation and a hole to run through.  Alabama is more indicative of the NFL run defenses he'll see than Ole Miss, and you see how ineffective he is against them.  And we line up more in the shotgun.  Fournette = no.  Cook, imo, would be more of an impact player in this offense.  But it's probably all wishful thinking.  DG may think he needs more D-tackles.  
Just an FYI:

Ezekiel Elliot - 1st round, #4 overall

Tyron Smith - 1st round, #9 overall

Travis Frederick - 1st round #31 overall

Zack Martin - 1st round #16 overall

Heck, even Collins was basically a first round pick and they got him as an UDFA because of the shooting death of his ex-girlfriend. Still, those are 4 first round picks and when you look at us, 14th is the best we've had since DG has been here so two of those guys would have been impossible to get.

I hate the DT comment with DG. Our DTs are such a huge strength. 24.5 sacks in the 25 games, likely better than every other NFL team and all 4/5 guys are DG guys. I'd better were even better than Philly/LA with Cox and Donald.

Well, I like the job DG has done and I like our depth at DT.  Was a tongue in cheek comment with the hopes that we realize we need help elsewhere. 

Also, I like how Bradberry and Worley are progressing.  I think Bradberry's going to be a really good NFL CB.  The entire D backfield played well yesterday.  The offense should have won this game.  T Davis had the one brain fart by hitting the guy out of bounds, but he and Luke continue to be top shelf.  Missed seeing Shaq Thompson out there though.  

Looking at Walter Football's draft, I'd say our targets in the 1st should be:

Mike McGlinchey, OT ND (WalterFootball's mock pick)

Cam Robinson, OT Alabama

Derek Barnett, DE Tennessee

If we go RB, I don't want Fournette. I think he'd be good, but we pass on Derrick Henry and I think that was the right call. Too many other talented RBs much later, but nothing like these 3 in OTs/DEs later. Cook would have to go way too early to take him. He'll be gone before our 2nd.

2nd round

This is tough, there are some CBs, Ss, DEs (WalterFootball has Demarcus Walker DE, FSU), RBs like Freeman and Chubb. Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell might be the only LT prospect at this point. He's more raw, but seems to have potential.

3rd round

Who the hell knows although according the mock S/CB is available here. Maybe we wait on CB/S till 3rd and try and fill OT/DE/RB with the 1st two picks.

If we could come away with McGlinchey/Robinson and Demarcus Walker or Barnett and Davenport, I'd be pretty happy. I think in looking at it that it might be best to go OT first. I don't think Barnett is close to Garrett, so I'd rather get the best OT in the draft and build from there.

Well, I like the job DG has done and I like our depth at DT.  Was a tongue in cheek comment with the hopes that we realize we need help elsewhere. 

Also, I like how Bradberry and Worley are progressing.  I think Bradberry's going to be a really good NFL CB.  The entire D backfield played well yesterday.  The offense should have won this game.  T Davis had the one brain fart by hitting the guy out of bounds, but he and Luke continue to be top shelf.  Missed seeing Shaq Thompson out there though.  
I think Bradberry and Worley could be very good next year. I am already thinking next year because I cannot imagine us in the playoffs at 3-6. The stats said last week that no team had ever made the playoffs at 2-6 (if we lost to LA), so doubting 3-6 has much chance at all. Chiefs had a great run last year to make the wild card at 11-5. Well, there was a 10-6 team that didn't make it (Jets), so a run to 10-6 is still not even guaranteed to make the playoffs and that assumes wins at Seattle and at Oakland. I don't want us to lose at all, but if it costs us a shot at a starting LT, it'll hurt even more to be 8-8.

With our schedule I don't see more than 3 wins.  We'll beat one of ATL and TB, should beat NO on Thursday.  We'll probably find a way to #### up beating SD at home.  Maybe beat WAS.  6-10 or even 5-11 doesn't seem too off base at this point. 

Looking at Walter Football's draft, I'd say our targets in the 1st should be:

Mike McGlinchey, OT ND (WalterFootball's mock pick)

Cam Robinson, OT Alabama

Derek Barnett, DE Tennessee

If we go RB, I don't want Fournette. I think he'd be good, but we pass on Derrick Henry and I think that was the right call. Too many other talented RBs much later, but nothing like these 3 in OTs/DEs later. Cook would have to go way too early to take him. He'll be gone before our 2nd.

2nd round

This is tough, there are some CBs, Ss, DEs (WalterFootball has Demarcus Walker DE, FSU), RBs like Freeman and Chubb. Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell might be the only LT prospect at this point. He's more raw, but seems to have potential.

3rd round

Who the hell knows although according the mock S/CB is available here. Maybe we wait on CB/S till 3rd and try and fill OT/DE/RB with the 1st two picks.

If we could come away with McGlinchey/Robinson and Demarcus Walker or Barnett and Davenport, I'd be pretty happy. I think in looking at it that it might be best to go OT first. I don't think Barnett is close to Garrett, so I'd rather get the best OT in the draft and build from there.
While it's rarely been the Panthers' MO, should consider what the FA market looks like at OT and DE given the cap space this team currently has.  Yes, extensions should becoming for some of these guys, but they've got PLENTY of room right now.

Tackle FAs:
Andrew Whitworth, Matt Khalil, Marcus Cannon, Sebastian Vollmer, Gosder Cherilus, Andre Smith, Mike Remmers, Ryan Schraeder, Byron Bell, Reilly Reiff, Jordan Mills, Matt McCants, Marshall Newhouse, Menelik Watson, Will Beatty, Eric Winston, Bradley Sowell, and others

Defensive End FAs:
This gets ugly fast -- Calais Campbell, Jason Pierre-Paul, Jabaal Sheard, Dion Jordan, Glenn Dorsey, Chris Baker, Charles Johnson, Andre Branch, Chris Long, Vance Walker, Stephen Paea, Jason Jones, Mario Addison

A few of the DEs could be franchised.  I doubt any of the OTs are, though the Pats may need to do something with both Cannon and Vollmer hitting FA.

None of these OTs are fixtures, but similar to the Oher signing, they could help transition someone and PROVIDE DEPTH, which Carolina has rarely had on the OL.  Khalil has sucked since being the top pick, but maybe his brother being on the same team could help him?  Whitworth is old.  Still, Cannon, Vollmer, Cherilus, Smith, Reiff, Mills, Watson -- these are solid OTs.

Would like to see Artis-Payne given a chance the rest of the year...or at least get on the active roster.  He has looked good in spurts.  I don't expect JStew back without a significant discount as they can save over $6mm next year by releasing him.

So speaking to one of the guys who works the Spanish Panthers broadcast his take away is we have become predictable. Says at least 80% of the time he can call the play correctly. If he can DCs can. I have defended Shula I mean this was the number 1 offense last year but maybe it is time. But could it be the personnel and thwir limitations? Does a serviceable at best LT limit you? I love Remmers work ethic and attitude but he isn't a top RT. How much does that limit you? How much does a QB with a string arm but control issues limit you? How about WR that can be counted on to drop a lot of passes? Does that limit you? And in the end do all those limits add up to being predictable?

So speaking to one of the guys who works the Spanish Panthers broadcast his take away is we have become predictable. Says at least 80% of the time he can call the play correctly. If he can DCs can. I have defended Shula I mean this was the number 1 offense last year but maybe it is time. But could it be the personnel and thwir limitations? Does a serviceable at best LT limit you? I love Remmers work ethic and attitude but he isn't a top RT. How much does that limit you? How much does a QB with a string arm but control issues limit you? How about WR that can be counted on to drop a lot of passes? Does that limit you? And in the end do all those limits add up to being predictable?
Which of these things changed from last year?  Maybe some OT issues, but isn't that outweighed by getting Benjamin back?  Shula's never been a great coordinator... we lost sight of that when Cam took over last year and just played lights out football.  That can't happen all the time -- and when your team success is in spite of your coordinator, it's time to go. 

Again - Shula's never been good... we just got hung up on the stats influenced very heavily by Cam.  Imagine what a real coordinator could do with this team...

As to this game I have to blame Cam. You know the situation. Under no circumstances can you take a sack. If something isn't there by a 2 count throw it away. High school QBs know this. You are up the entire 3rd just get 3, makes this a 3 score game and salt it away. 

None of these OTs are fixtures, but similar to the Oher signing, they could help transition someone and PROVIDE DEPTH, which Carolina has rarely had on the OL.  Khalil has sucked since being the top pick, but maybe his brother being on the same team could help him?  Whitworth is old.  Still, Cannon, Vollmer, Cherilus, Smith, Reiff, Mills, Watson -- these are solid OTs.
That list doesn't excite me at all. Honestly, the tough part is that like this offseason, if those tackles are really still solid and an improvement for us, they will be resigned by their teams. If we finish in the bottom 10, we should have a good shot at McGlinchey/Robinson. IMHO, they could start day one over Oher. Oher is on the roster, regardless and maybe they are groomed for a bit, but IMHO, this OL for 2017+ is both solid and deep:

Starters week 1: Oher/Norwell/Kalil/Turner/Williams

Backups week 1: T - Remmers (also G/C)/McGlinchey C - Gradkowski (also G) G - Scott

Starters week 4: McGlinchey/Norwell/Kalil/Turner/Williams

Backups week 1: T - Remmers (also G/C)/Oher C - Gradkowski (also G) G - Scott

That would give us 4 backups, all of whom have pretty significant NFL experience and starts. I also think that week 4 starting lineup could be a top 3 OL. Maybe not Dallas, but we don't have the luxury of 3-4 1st round picks to use. Also, we are significantly better on D and other positions. We do need to start combing through future Cs to replace Kalil when he retires, but Williams is 24, Turner is 23, Norwell is 25 and McGlinchey/Robinson are in college. That is a young line outside of Kalil that will get better and has a lot of years they could be together.

That list doesn't excite me at all. Honestly, the tough part is that like this offseason, if those tackles are really still solid and an improvement for us, they will be resigned by their teams. If we finish in the bottom 10, we should have a good shot at McGlinchey/Robinson. IMHO, they could start day one over Oher. Oher is on the roster, regardless and maybe they are groomed for a bit, but IMHO, this OL for 2017+ is both solid and deep:

Starters week 1: Oher/Norwell/Kalil/Turner/Williams

Backups week 1: T - Remmers (also G/C)/McGlinchey C - Gradkowski (also G) G - Scott

Starters week 4: McGlinchey/Norwell/Kalil/Turner/Williams

Backups week 1: T - Remmers (also G/C)/Oher C - Gradkowski (also G) G - Scott

That would give us 4 backups, all of whom have pretty significant NFL experience and starts. I also think that week 4 starting lineup could be a top 3 OL. Maybe not Dallas, but we don't have the luxury of 3-4 1st round picks to use. Also, we are significantly better on D and other positions. We do need to start combing through future Cs to replace Kalil when he retires, but Williams is 24, Turner is 23, Norwell is 25 and McGlinchey/Robinson are in college. That is a young line outside of Kalil that will get better and has a lot of years they could be together.
Fair point - it's not a super exciting list, but they're likely at least as solid as Remmers/Oher, and may be an upgrade.  Some will be resigned... some may even be tagged, but it's not far fetched to see Carolina pursuing one of those guys and using the draft pick on a DE first.  This team's foundation has always been defense.  IMO, the D and the OL go hand in hand (control the ball and the clock on one side, keep a fresh defense on the other).  I'll be happy either way... but they need upgrades on the OL and the DL.  This should be a draft for the trenches... (and not DT).

Is Stewart under contract for 2017? SP thoughts on how relevant (if at all) CAP will be on this team going forward. Due to lack of ST experience, he has been inactive for many games.

boltsfan said:
Is Stewart under contract for 2017? SP thoughts on how relevant (if at all) CAP will be on this team going forward. Due to lack of ST experience, he has been inactive for many games.
Stewart is under contract, but it's a lot and the cap savings are good. Cap hit in 2017 is 8.25M and dead cap of 3.5M, so a savings of almost 5M. If they try and do something like CJ and sign him to a cheaper deal they won't save much.

If they draft a solid RB, a good chance they release him outright but I could see them draft a tier below Fournette/Cook in the early 3rd and keep Stewart for 2017. I don't think CAP is the long term starter. If he was, he'd be active more and getting way more carries although we stubbornly keep Tolbert on the roster as bad as he's been blocking and running. 

Stewart is under contract, but it's a lot and the cap savings are good. Cap hit in 2017 is 8.25M and dead cap of 3.5M, so a savings of almost 5M. If they try and do something like CJ and sign him to a cheaper deal they won't save much.

If they draft a solid RB, a good chance they release him outright but I could see them draft a tier below Fournette/Cook in the early 3rd and keep Stewart for 2017. I don't think CAP is the long term starter. If he was, he'd be active more and getting way more carries although we stubbornly keep Tolbert on the roster as bad as he's been blocking and running. 
Agreed about CAP - I don't think he's the long term answer.  What's tricky about Stewart's contract is how cheap he is in 2018 (a club option year) -- just a $2.5MM cap hit, which with the rising cap makes it very cheap for a solid backup/committee RB.  A restructuring seems most likely for Stewart, again.  I could see them converting 2018 to a guaranteed year instead of a club option and reducing the cap hits for both years as a result.  That would basically take Stew through the end of his career... he'll be 30 in 2017, 31 in 2018.

Agreed about CAP - I don't think he's the long term answer.  What's tricky about Stewart's contract is how cheap he is in 2018 (a club option year) -- just a $2.5MM cap hit, which with the rising cap makes it very cheap for a solid backup/committee RB.  A restructuring seems most likely for Stewart, again.  I could see them converting 2018 to a guaranteed year instead of a club option and reducing the cap hits for both years as a result.  That would basically take Stew through the end of his career... he'll be 30 in 2017, 31 in 2018.
Wasn't aware of the team option for 2018. I agree that makes it more likely that they restructure or just eat it in 2017 to get a cheap 2018 when the 2017 draft pick takes over. Could let us get rid of Tolbert. I like Stewart but he's barely healthy and it would be fun to watch a dynamic RB back there with Cam. Fozzie has speed and can be dynamic out in space but doesn't have that between the tackles/short yardage. CAP just isn't special and Stew is winding down. I'd love to see a Cool like RB who can do everything so you have to account for every run and screens and maybe even wheel route type stuff. It might be a limitation of Shula too.

So we won. Bit it was costly. I had some critiques to make but after the way the team was decimated in the second half it can wait. Just don't have it in me right now. 

Get well everyone.

Mixed emotions over this one as well.  Of course the big concern is Luke.  It didn't look like a shot to the head, but his reaction was so telling.  Two concussions in two years is not good.  Maybe it's not a concussion but a stinger where he lost some feeling in his arms for a moment.  And his reaction was fear for the worst.  

Anyway, I hope and wish for the best for Luke and his family.  

And Kalil..  Yes, get well everyone!  

I'll go ahead and post a couple of critiques here..  Good win last night but the strange pattern of this offense falling apart after having a 2+ score lead is so troubling.  Going back to the SEA game in the playoffs last year.  This "prevent offense" is ridiculous.  Losing Kalil again was big but they didn't protect that well before he went out either.  

The play calling in the second half was just sad.  This was the Saints, not the 85 Bears or 15 Broncos.  One first down in the 4th quarter (good catch by Benjamin).  

SB hangover or whatever, this just doesn't seem to be our year.  Tough west coast swing now for the next 2 weeks. 

Mixed emotions over this one as well.  Of course the big concern is Luke.  It didn't look like a shot to the head, but his reaction was so telling.  Two concussions in two years is not good.  Maybe it's not a concussion but a stinger where he lost some feeling in his arms for a moment.  And his reaction was fear for the worst.  

Anyway, I hope and wish for the best for Luke and his family.  

And Kalil..  Yes, get well everyone!  
Wishing the best for 59 as well. 

I'll go ahead and post a couple of critiques here..  Good win last night but the strange pattern of this offense falling apart after having a 2+ score lead is so troubling.  Going back to the SEA game in the playoffs last year.  This "prevent offense" is ridiculous.  Losing Kalil again was big but they didn't protect that well before he went out either.  

The play calling in the second half was just sad.  This was the Saints, not the 85 Bears or 15 Broncos.  One first down in the 4th quarter (good catch by Benjamin).  

SB hangover or whatever, this just doesn't seem to be our year.  Tough west coast swing now for the next 2 weeks. 
I keep thinking about Dan Morgan.

Hah, I said the exact same thing last night. We made the Saints D look unbelievable last night. It is really sad to think that if Cam had taken a knee last night on every one of our 4th quarter plays aside from the Benjamin pass and taken a knee 3 times on the KC 20 at the end of the 20 play drive, we would be 5-5 and the Saints would have never had the ball with a chance to tie. 20 seconds and no timeouts deep in their territory wasn't much of a chance, but they wouldn't have even gotten the ball back after cutting the lead to 3.

Our second half offense (when ahead), is just atrocious. We don't have that Brady to Welker/Edelman play to get the 1st down on 3rd and short even with a pass. What's weird is that we have the biggest bodied WRs/TE in the NFL, so you'd think a curl or a quick slant where no defender has a chance to get around our guy and knock the ball away, would work. That said, I think I only saw that once last night. Oh, that's right, it was a 20 yard gain when Funchess and Benjamin did double quick slant over the middle.

It hurts to lose Kuechly and god, I hope he's OK long term. I don't care about this season over his health. This is just a jinxed season for some reason. I mean, Cam, Stewart, Kalil, Oher, Bradberry, Shaq and now Luke have all missed some or a lot of time. That's a third of our starters.

That said, we need a new OC. We really have too many weapons to know that in every game, we go scoreless or get 1 FG in 2-3 quarters.

In 10 games, we have 1 in SF where we scored the entire game. Arizona is our second best where we got 6 points in the 2nd half. The 8 other games got us at most 3 points in a half or even worse, 0 points in 3 quarters against Minnesota and Tampa.

It hurts to lose Kuechly and god, I hope he's OK long term. I don't care about this season over his health. This is just a jinxed season for some reason. I mean, Cam, Stewart, Kalil, Oher, Bradberry, Shaq and now Luke have all missed some or a lot of time. That's a third of our starters.

That said, we need a new OC. We really have too many weapons to know that in every game, we go scoreless or get 1 FG in 2-3 quarters.
I feel the same regarding the season and Luke's health.  It's been a M*A*S*H unit out there this season, starting with the offensive line.  It was good to see Shaq back out there.  And again, I'm loving how Bradberry is coming along.  I think he's going to be an excellent corner.  The pass he broke up in the end zone when he left his man to help was outstanding.  

It's probably time to move away from Tolbert and Stewart and get some young talent in the back field... and some young talent on that offensive line.  And, as you said, a new OC!  I'm not sure what Shula is thinking most of the time.  Just brutal play calling.  

My complaint about the play calling on both sides of the ball is we let up. Instead of staying aggressive we back off. I get why teams do that. I get how good teams can do that. But we aren't that good or I should say dominant. We are good enough to beat most teams most Sundays. We are.not good enough to dominate most teams on any day. We don't have the luxury of letting up IMO. We play a lead like there are 2 minutes left and they have no timeouts but we do it to start the 4th. Including the D play calling here as well. Everybody.

I don't see any benefit of Luke playing again this season.  Playoffs most likely out of reach.  I wish they'd come up with an equipment breakthrough that cuts concussions out completely.  **wishful thinking**

This gives Mayo a chance to get some good experience and maybe we'll get to see Jeremy Cash get a chance to develop at LB.   Then we'll really have a young defensive backfield. 

Jayrok said:
I don't see any benefit of Luke playing again this season.  Playoffs most likely out of reach.  I wish they'd come up with an equipment breakthrough that cuts concussions out completely.  **wishful thinking**

This gives Mayo a chance to get some good experience and maybe we'll get to see Jeremy Cash get a chance to develop at LB.   Then we'll really have a young defensive backfield. 
I expect that AJ aka, isn't that Luke, will get the majority of snaps. Maybe Mayo gets in but I don't see wholesale.playing time for all the youngsters yet. 

On the concussion thing. I would rather lose every remaining game than rush anyone back. Be it Oher, Luke or some 3rd stringer. It's too serious and too possibly devastating long term to put the game first. Just isn't worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread