What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (3 Viewers)

so if i wanted to get one of these new iPhones and get on a whole new plan, what would i have to do? About how much would it cost? TIA/
I can't imagine where you would find this information...
don't really feel like perusing a 22 page thread. just a quick summary would be great.
I will be helpful....
The $199 3G iPhone will have 8 GB of storage and will be available in 22 countries on July 11, Jobs said. Apple will also sell a 3G iPhone with 16 GB of storage for $299. That edition will also be available in a white case in addition to the standard black.AT&T remains the iPhone's exclusive service provider in the United States, with a two-year contract. It will offer voice plans starting at $39.99 per month plus unlimited 3G Internet service for $30 a month. That's a $10 increase from the cheapest plan for the earlier iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buckna said:
Joe Bryant said:
tommyGunZ said:
i don't understand. a year ago, when we talked about the Edge network, all I heard was that it was plenty fast and speed wasn't an issue. now the big upgrade is the move to 3G, and it's supposed to be huge news?

Love the GPS feature though. The games, meh.

Overall, not very exciting, IMO. :shrug:
Hi tgnz,Edge was brutally slow. You had to have a lot of patience. I don't. Apple folks are somewhat like Harley people in my opinion (and I probably own more apple product than most here). When you pay more than the going rate for the alternative product, and the hype is over the top, you rarely criticize what you just paid more for. That was my take on EDGE. It sucked. But it's hard to admit it when you just ponied up the extra money to cancel your plan and move over to AT&T.

So this news really is significant. But your observation is spot on.

J
Besides the fact I'm not an early adopter due to price reasons, one of the main reasons I didn't get an iphone yet was because of EDGE, data downloads were fax modem days type slow. They highly tauted(sp?) the wonderful web capability of the iphone when it came out, but the data transfer was awful. Now, I'm not sure how many people were aware of this going in though, I'm sure many were just dazzled by the Apple hype.I'll wait until I see a demo, but if 3G provides the kind of speed that makes many of the features on the phone worthwhile, it will be worth $10 increase in incremental monthly cost in my eyes. Also helps that both my RAZR phone and 4 year old ipod mini are on their last legs.
I was an early adopter, the earliest you can be pretty much, and my take on it is this. Before the iPhone, I had a crappy samsung smartphone that I couldn't surf the net on no matter how fast it was. I also had a separate ipod mini.The iPhone was a convergence device for me, which allowed me the ease of using the internet, even if it was slow, that I never had before. Slow internet anywhere is greater than no internet everywhere, despite being slower perhaps than phones offered by other companies, because I never used or owned one.

I wasn't that attracted to other phones because of the ipod functionality of my iphone, along with the other features like integrated google maps, and a promise of upgrades in software over time.

Again, I was OK with the data speed loading webpages because before the iPhone, I could only surf or check email at home, and even though it was slow, it still opened up the world of the web anywhere I had cellular access. 3G will only serve to make this better, and the GPS will add another very useful function to my iPhone, besides being a portable phone/internet browser/ipod it will now also be a portable navigation system.

Add on the cool new games that will be coming out, and you also have a portable gaming system as well, like a PSP or a DS, granted it'll be a bit lower tech though.
No offense adonis, but this isn't the bill of goods Apple has been selling the past year re: the IPhone. Your version is more like: if you've never had a smart phone, the IPhone is a slow, but useful option. Apple's version: this phone will change your life.
The mistake you're making is assuming that a slow, but useful option cannot change your life.It certainly positively changed mine, although I shudder at using that terminology because I would never put it in those terms. When I went on trips, I no longer needed to take my laptop because my iPhone sufficed, especially when I was around wifi areas. IN other areas, sending and receiving emails was still possible, reducing my baggage.

Was it just as good as a fast connection with a nice computer, with all fancy features? No, probably not, but for the options it presented, I really enjoyed it and it did change how I surfed, how available news and information was, entertainment, etc.
This is what I don't get. I can't fathom why someone would consider using an iphone if they had access to a laptop. It's just night and day. Not even remotely close to the same experience if you're doing any more than checking the weather. This isn't really a knock on the iphone, it's cool for what it is. But it's just a horribly compromised internet viewing machine compared to a decent laptop. Even with wifi. Using Edge compared to a normal laptop with a Verizon wireless card, it's not even in the same stratosphere.J
I have a relatively new macbook pro that I love, but for weekend trips to visit friends or relatives, my iPhone did everything I needed. I could check the news, check my email, listen to music on the way down and back. I don't work on vacation, I don't use advanced features on the laptop, I would just use it for internet access and checking email. When I get back home, I do more heavy duty stuff on the laptop.That's what I was telling tgunz...my primary use for a recreational laptop/phone includes surfing the news, checking gmail, text messaging, checking google maps for business locations/phone numbers, checking movie showtimes and other basic things. For these, having an iphone where there is wireless internet is perfect. I get all of the benefits I'd get from my laptop, but in a much smaller and more convenient package.

The only time I use edge is when I'm in the car, or when I'm otherwise at a place where there's no wireless internet. Most of my friends and family have wireless, and the iPhone is great. Othertimes, it's slightly annoying to wait a little while for a page to load, but I'm fairly patient.

Joe, what do you need a laptop for when you go on vacation? What kind of sites do you typically surf to? My guess is that your use for your laptop replacement is more advanced than what I need, which just further goes to show that what's great for one person, may suck for another...the iphone could certainly suck for some people who demand more.

Well, I'm just very disappointed. I wanted to try this macapplefone while I was in Albuquerque this summer. Now what? Do I try a blackenberry or just wait? ARG!! :shrug:

personally I love the iPhone for inet. Posting from it now. I will be keeping my slow 2g iPhone until the 32 gb is available. Unlimited data is 10 bucks more than what I am paying now. That's enough to make me wait at least til Xmas or refurbs are available or when we here about the NEXT iphone.

Oh and Joe. It would be sweet for an iPhone version of the site. I do read the boards in lofi for speed sake
Hi None,What does an iphone version of a site entail?

How is it different than the lo fi? That's what was I use if I have to use the site with my blackberry.

J
Hey there, primarily its just the menu interface for iPhone. Since the one thing that is vital is missing. Cut and paste. Google " espn podcenter" this is the generic iPhone / touch interface. Since I am an IT manager in south east Michigan I don't get to play in the fun stuff.It would also be cool (I want a penny for every one sold if you do this) to have a iPhone application For ff trade advice. The app would be downloaded to the iPhone. And can "call home" for latest player data for real time value.

iphone menu example

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcas...ne/index#___1__
Imagine a IPhone based Draft Dominator. That would rock.

iDraftkit

About iDraftKit.com

Fantasy Football on your iPhone. iDraftkit.com lets you order and research players for the upcoming fantasy football season. You can also use this application in a live draft scenario, adding drafted players to “My List”. Remove unwanted players or players that have already been drafted. Beats using out of date fantasy football magazines.

What’s New in this Version

- Email My List functionality which allows you to have your lists sent to your inbox. Take hard copies of your lists with you to the draft, or use your iPhone or Touch at your fantasy draft.

- More instructions have been added to the quarterbacks list. Including how to see the full team schedules for the upcoming 2008 season.

iDraftkit

About iDraftKit.com

Fantasy Football on your iPhone. iDraftkit.com lets you order and research players for the upcoming fantasy football season. You can also use this application in a live draft scenario, adding drafted players to “My List”. Remove unwanted players or players that have already been drafted. Beats using out of date fantasy football magazines.

What’s New in this Version

- Email My List functionality which allows you to have your lists sent to your inbox. Take hard copies of your lists with you to the draft, or use your iPhone or Touch at your fantasy draft.

- More instructions have been added to the quarterbacks list. Including how to see the full team schedules for the upcoming 2008 season.
:hifive: iPhones and Fantasy Football suck. :lol: Damn, that's cool.

Maybe i just missed it, but does this thing have Flash now?
Adobe has committed to working with Apple to integrate flash on the iPhone, but the software development kit was insufficient for them to develop flash for the iphone. So, they have gone from a declarative "there will be flash for the iphone" to a less committed "if Apple will work with us, there will be flash for the iPhone."

Maybe i just missed it, but does this thing have Flash now?
Adobe has committed to working with Apple to integrate flash on the iPhone, but the software development kit was insufficient for them to develop flash for the iphone. So, they have gone from a declarative "there will be flash for the iphone" to a less committed "if Apple will work with us, there will be flash for the iPhone."
:sleep: how then is Slingbox planning to offer their own App? I'm no software guru (obviously), but how can a slingbox video be in the cards, but flash isnt?

I would never use the iphone as my primary internet access, but it is fine for checking email & reading news. A faster internet alone doesn't justify me getting the new one, and neither does a video camera. Maybe more features will be revealed that are mor intriguing, but so far it's nothing special. Now, if I didn't have net access at my home & office a faster net would be a big deal.

Buckna said:
Joe Bryant said:
tommyGunZ said:
i don't understand. a year ago, when we talked about the Edge network, all I heard was that it was plenty fast and speed wasn't an issue. now the big upgrade is the move to 3G, and it's supposed to be huge news?

Love the GPS feature though. The games, meh.

Overall, not very exciting, IMO. :goodposting:
Hi tgnz,Edge was brutally slow. You had to have a lot of patience. I don't. Apple folks are somewhat like Harley people in my opinion (and I probably own more apple product than most here). When you pay more than the going rate for the alternative product, and the hype is over the top, you rarely criticize what you just paid more for. That was my take on EDGE. It sucked. But it's hard to admit it when you just ponied up the extra money to cancel your plan and move over to AT&T.

So this news really is significant. But your observation is spot on.

J
Besides the fact I'm not an early adopter due to price reasons, one of the main reasons I didn't get an iphone yet was because of EDGE, data downloads were fax modem days type slow. They highly tauted(sp?) the wonderful web capability of the iphone when it came out, but the data transfer was awful. Now, I'm not sure how many people were aware of this going in though, I'm sure many were just dazzled by the Apple hype.I'll wait until I see a demo, but if 3G provides the kind of speed that makes many of the features on the phone worthwhile, it will be worth $10 increase in incremental monthly cost in my eyes. Also helps that both my RAZR phone and 4 year old ipod mini are on their last legs.
I was an early adopter, the earliest you can be pretty much, and my take on it is this. Before the iPhone, I had a crappy samsung smartphone that I couldn't surf the net on no matter how fast it was. I also had a separate ipod mini.The iPhone was a convergence device for me, which allowed me the ease of using the internet, even if it was slow, that I never had before. Slow internet anywhere is greater than no internet everywhere, despite being slower perhaps than phones offered by other companies, because I never used or owned one.

I wasn't that attracted to other phones because of the ipod functionality of my iphone, along with the other features like integrated google maps, and a promise of upgrades in software over time.

Again, I was OK with the data speed loading webpages because before the iPhone, I could only surf or check email at home, and even though it was slow, it still opened up the world of the web anywhere I had cellular access. 3G will only serve to make this better, and the GPS will add another very useful function to my iPhone, besides being a portable phone/internet browser/ipod it will now also be a portable navigation system.

Add on the cool new games that will be coming out, and you also have a portable gaming system as well, like a PSP or a DS, granted it'll be a bit lower tech though.
No offense adonis, but this isn't the bill of goods Apple has been selling the past year re: the IPhone. Your version is more like: if you've never had a smart phone, the IPhone is a slow, but useful option. Apple's version: this phone will change your life.
The mistake you're making is assuming that a slow, but useful option cannot change your life.It certainly positively changed mine, although I shudder at using that terminology because I would never put it in those terms. When I went on trips, I no longer needed to take my laptop because my iPhone sufficed, especially when I was around wifi areas. IN other areas, sending and receiving emails was still possible, reducing my baggage.

Was it just as good as a fast connection with a nice computer, with all fancy features? No, probably not, but for the options it presented, I really enjoyed it and it did change how I surfed, how available news and information was, entertainment, etc.
This is what I don't get. I can't fathom why someone would consider using an iphone if they had access to a laptop. It's just night and day. Not even remotely close to the same experience if you're doing any more than checking the weather. This isn't really a knock on the iphone, it's cool for what it is. But it's just a horribly compromised internet viewing machine compared to a decent laptop. Even with wifi. Using Edge compared to a normal laptop with a Verizon wireless card, it's not even in the same stratosphere.J
I have a relatively new macbook pro that I love, but for weekend trips to visit friends or relatives, my iPhone did everything I needed. I could check the news, check my email, listen to music on the way down and back. I don't work on vacation, I don't use advanced features on the laptop, I would just use it for internet access and checking email. When I get back home, I do more heavy duty stuff on the laptop.That's what I was telling tgunz...my primary use for a recreational laptop/phone includes surfing the news, checking gmail, text messaging, checking google maps for business locations/phone numbers, checking movie showtimes and other basic things. For these, having an iphone where there is wireless internet is perfect. I get all of the benefits I'd get from my laptop, but in a much smaller and more convenient package.

The only time I use edge is when I'm in the car, or when I'm otherwise at a place where there's no wireless internet. Most of my friends and family have wireless, and the iPhone is great. Othertimes, it's slightly annoying to wait a little while for a page to load, but I'm fairly patient.

Joe, what do you need a laptop for when you go on vacation? What kind of sites do you typically surf to? My guess is that your use for your laptop replacement is more advanced than what I need, which just further goes to show that what's great for one person, may suck for another...the iphone could certainly suck for some people who demand more.
Hi Adonis,I think you're right - it's how you use it. If you're just checking weather and movie times and stuff I can see how it's comprable. But I seem to always find myself with 6 windows open doing different things.

I guess the real line is how much typing you're going to do. If I'm creating content for something like entering data for the Daily email update, the laptop is far superior just because of the keyboard.

And it is just a personal thing I guess. For me, the user experience on my Macbook is way superior to what it was on my iphone. But I hear what you're saying.

J

Goon - any word on a 32gb - how soon after launch?
There's been no specific rumors on it that I've seen, but I would assume they'll upgrade it in the next revision cycle. They've had the 32gb's in the iPod Touch since last February. The revision cycle for the iPhone as been roughly 4-5 months, so mid-fall would be a reasonable expectation.

goonsquad said:
Green94 said:
Goon - any word on a 32gb - how soon after launch?
There's been no specific rumors on it that I've seen, but I would assume they'll upgrade it in the next revision cycle. They've had the 32gb's in the iPod Touch since last February. The revision cycle for the iPhone as been roughly 4-5 months, so mid-fall would be a reasonable expectation.
Damnit, I don't want to wait, but I really really want 32gb.

Ok Apple Fan(atic)s, after further review i was thoroughly unimpressed by the keynote yesterday. I really want to want to buy an iPhone. I just dont see why i should get it vs a new Crackberry? Basically, Apple has entered the Smartphone market touting features that others have been doing for years (3G, push email, GPS).

What are some reasons (tangible) that i should get an iPhone over a Crackberry?

FYI, i want it all in a phone, here's a short list of what it needs to be for me

- i will be taking sales orders over the phone and entering them into a web based system...at the same time. phone needs to handle this efficiently and effectively

- convergence device. I wont be carrying around multiple devices for phone/text, innerwebs, email, music, etc. I have a hard enough time forcing myself to stuff one device in my pocket. So, it has to do it all

- need access to Office files/docs at all times. possibly while on sales calls

- need efficient email handling. I will be doing a LOT of emails from this thing. None of them are exceptionally long or complex. But, there will be a lot of them.

- Cost is not a sticking point. I'm not going to fret about which one costs $10 more per month. If it does its job, the phone will pay for itself in increased sales

- MEMORY - 16GB will not be enough. It will need to hold my core music catalog (about 25 GB right now), Apps, and of course the OS and necessary stuff.

- Other uses? I may not currently know a lot of the "extra" stuff you can do with Smartphones, but i will be interested once i get one. So, which option will offer me the most "cool extras"? [/softball]

Ok Apple Fan(atic)s, after further review i was thoroughly unimpressed by the keynote yesterday. I really want to want to buy an iPhone. I just dont see why i should get it vs a new Crackberry? Basically, Apple has entered the Smartphone market touting features that others have been doing for years (3G, push email, GPS).

FYI, i want it all in a phone, here's a short list of what it needs to be for me

- i will be taking sales orders over the phone and entering them into a web based system...at the same time. phone needs to handle this efficiently and effectively

- convergence device. I wont be carrying around multiple devices for phone/text, innerwebs, email, music, etc. I have a hard enough time forcing myself to stuff one device in my pocket. So, it has to do it all

- need efficient email handling. I will be doing a LOT of emails from this thing. None of them are exceptionally long or complex. But, there will be a lot of them.

- Cost is not a sticking point. I'm not going to fret about which one costs $10 more per month. If it does its job, the phone will pay for itself in increased sales

- MEMORY - 16GB will not be enough. It will need to hold my core music catalog (about 25 GB right now), Apps, and of course the OS and necessary stuff.

- Other uses? I may not currently know a lot of the "extra" stuff you can do with Smartphones, but i will be interested once i get one. So, which option will offer me the most "cool extras"? [/softball]
You're tasks sound like they're cut out for a Blackberry. They sound a lot like Joe B's.Good luck buying a 25GB phone though. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Yet. :goodposting:

You're tasks sound like they're cut out for a Blackberry. They sound a lot like Joe B's.Good luck buying a 25GB phone though. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Yet. :goodposting:
yeah i know, i'm a spoiled consumer. What are the memory card limits in the BBerry these days?

What would have impressed you yesterday? Apple hit the mark on nearly every expectation. What exatly were you expecting?3G. True GPS. Enterprise support. Office compatibility. Cheaper up-front cost. Launch of 3rd-party Apps. OS refinements (mass move and delete email, contact search, parental control restrictions).

The only omission that sticks out to me it the 'copy/paste' issue. But I do think it will be included in a software update eventually. Maybe even by the July release. Yes, I was hoping for video conferencing, but that's more for cool-factor than anything.

What would have impressed you yesterday? Apple hit the mark on nearly every expectation. What exatly were you expecting?3G. True GPS. Enterprise support. Office compatibility. Cheaper up-front cost. Launch of 3rd-party Apps. OS refinements (mass move and delete email, contact search, parental control restrictions).

The only omission that sticks out to me it the 'copy/paste' issue. But I do think it will be included in a software update eventually. Maybe even by the July release. Yes, I was hoping for video conferencing, but that's more for cool-factor than anything.
I think you touched on a few for me Goon.... no video conferencing/no copy-paste/no 32Gb. After taking a step back, my enthusiasm went from exuberant to just pretty happy. :shock: :no: :lmao: , I know. But those three things would have put me over the top. Lack of 32Gb is the big killer for me right now, although I'm sure I'll be picking up the 16gb :bag:

And no updates to the Macbook! WTF am I supposed to do now? Wait until September? :cry:

Yet. :no:
:shock: The breakpoint I draw between iPhones and Blackberries is this: if you use email more than you browse the web, get a Blackberry. If you browse the web more than use email, get an iPhone.

For those of you wanting a 32 GB iPhone... is there enough room in the thing to put a full 32 GB of memory... flash or hard drive? I am aware the iPod Touch has 32 GB but that does not have everything the iPhone does have.

SMS delivery and acceptance of photos would be nice too....

I think you touched on a few for me Goon.... no video conferencing/no copy-paste/no 32Gb. After taking a step back, my enthusiasm went from exuberant to just pretty happy. :thumbup: ;) :hey: , I know. But those three things would have put me over the top. Lack of 32Gb is the big killer for me right now, although I'm sure I'll be picking up the 16gb :bag:

And no updates to the Macbook! WTF am I supposed to do now? Wait until September? :cry:
I think people's expectations for Apple announcements are just at unattainable levels right now. The Apple rumormill is so persistent (checking code line-by-line, combing patent applications, reading shipping import manifests... etc) it is nearly impossible to keep any big announcements secret which leads to let-downs. Everyone wants the big "one more thing" but it's getting near impossible to pull it off.

Just seems to me that they added everything the other smart phones already have. :unsure: while at the same time not really accounting for the shady touch screen keyboard. If they're targeting biz users, they should've addressed the end user too. They focused on talking points for the decision makers instead of the end biz user. Which is fine for the Fortune 500 Exec Boards. But, what about the Small Biz guys that make up 80% of the businesses in this country?Perhaps the one addition that could sway me is the potential of the 3rd party Apps. But thats just potential and a fairly big leap of faith.

Trust me, i really REALLY want to convince myself that an iPhone is for me. Just not sure its really there yet

Yet. ;)
:unsure: The breakpoint I draw between iPhones and Blackberries is this: if you use email more than you browse the web, get a Blackberry. If you browse the web more than use email, get an iPhone.
what if they're equally as important? :mellow:

I was kinda underwhelmed, too, to be honest. Outside of the copy-paste omission, I was hoping for a 32GB model and an iChat client on the phone. Video chat would have been cool (and I would have loved it because it would have meant the end of that viewmymessage.com kludge) but I would have been happy with just a plain old AIM/Jabber iChat client built in. It sounds like it's a mortal lock that AOL will be releasing an AIM app, at least. But 3G and GPS have been so commonly cited for so long that their announcement carried no real weight with me. I just assumed they would be included.

The only pleasant surprise to me was the extent to which the battery life has apparently been improved. I wasn't expecting it to get any better with the introduction of 3G and GPS, so they surprised me there. And the third party apps were pretty cool, by and large. Again, though, I was expecting them to be cool.

But the lingering taste in my mouth following the keynote was irony. The idea that I'm clamoring for an AOL product to be released in order to make up for an Apple shortcoming is somewhat astonishing to me, and it *should* be quite embarrassing to AAPL. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is a great product. But there are already many ways that it could be a much better 1.1.x product if Apple were to spend less effort gerrymandering the capabilities of their own technology merely to avoid stepping on AT&T's monstrous toes.

I was kinda underwhelmed, too, to be honest. Outside of the copy-paste omission, I was hoping for a 32GB model and an iChat client on the phone. Video chat would have been cool (and I would have loved it because it would have meant the end of that viewmymessage.com kludge) but I would have been happy with just a plain old AIM/Jabber iChat client built in. It sounds like it's a mortal lock that AOL will be releasing an AIM app, at least. But 3G and GPS have been so commonly cited for so long that their announcement carried no real weight with me. I just assumed they would be included.

The only pleasant surprise to me was the extent to which the battery life has apparently been improved. I wasn't expecting it to get any better with the introduction of 3G and GPS, so they surprised me there. And the third party apps were pretty cool, by and large. Again, though, I was expecting them to be cool.

But the lingering taste in my mouth following the keynote was irony. The idea that I'm clamoring for an AOL product to be released in order to make up for an Apple shortcoming is somewhat astonishing to me, and it *should* be quite embarrassing to AAPL. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is a great product. But there are already many ways that it could be a much better 1.1.x product if Apple were to spend less effort gerrymandering the capabilities of their own technology merely to avoid stepping on AT&T's monstrous toes.
Wouldnt count on this just yet. AAPL has a history of overstating battery life. I'll withhold judgment on this one until i see some RW results come in

Just seems to me that they added everything the other smart phones already have. :kicksrock: while at the same time not really accounting for the shady touch screen keyboard. If they're targeting biz users, they should've addressed the end user too. They focused on talking points for the decision makers instead of the end biz user. Perhaps the one addition that could sway me is the potential of the 3rd party Apps. But thats just potential and a fairly big leap of faith.

Trust me, i really REALLY want to convince myself that an iPhone is for me. Just not sure its really there yet
That's cool, I'm not trying to sell you. In fact, I think you should get a Blackberry. Remember, Apple has only been in the cell phone biz for one year. Let that sink in. One single year. So yeah, the new additions are things other phones have. And there's still kinks that haven't been worked out. The entire platform is still in it's infancy. The keyboard is here to stay. If you don't like it, this isn't the product for you. There's rumors of Apple adding tactile response to it, but the virtual keyboard isn't going anywhere any time soon.

This isn't a strictly biz product. It's not targeting high-end business users. The Enterprise support will sway some on the fence, but it's not meant to be the flagship phone for corporate users.

I agree the potential for 3rd-party apps is probably the most exciting part.

Yet. ;)
:kicksrock: The breakpoint I draw between iPhones and Blackberries is this: if you use email more than you browse the web, get a Blackberry. If you browse the web more than use email, get an iPhone.
what if they're equally as important? :popcorn:
I think the next important decision point is whether you need a physical keyboard or not. If you do, the Blackberry is your choice. If not, pick the iPhone because you get much more screen real estate. But if you choose the Blackberry, remember the slimmer Berries like the Pearl host multiple letters on a single physical key. So typing on those can still be somewhat of a hassle.

Wouldnt count on this just yet. AAPL has a history of overstating battery life. I'll withhold judgment on this one until i see some RW results come in
I agree. It's still in the "apparent" stage to me until I see some head-to-head reviews.

I was kinda underwhelmed, too, to be honest. Outside of the copy-paste omission, I was hoping for a 32GB model and an iChat client on the phone. Video chat would have been cool (and I would have loved it because it would have meant the end of that viewmymessage.com kludge) but I would have been happy with just a plain old AIM/Jabber iChat client built in. It sounds like it's a mortal lock that AOL will be releasing an AIM app, at least. But 3G and GPS have been so commonly cited for so long that their announcement carried no real weight with me. I just assumed they would be included. The only pleasant surprise to me was the extent to which the battery life has apparently been improved. I wasn't expecting it to get any better with the introduction of 3G and GPS, so they surprised me there. And the third party apps were pretty cool, by and large. Again, though, I was expecting them to be cool.But the lingering taste in my mouth following the keynote was irony. The idea that I'm clamoring for an AOL product to be released in order to make up for an Apple shortcoming is somewhat astonishing to me, and it *should* be quite embarrassing to AAPL. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is a great product. But there are already many ways that it could be a much better 1.1.x product if Apple were to spend less effort gerrymandering the capabilities of their own technology merely to avoid stepping on AT&T's monstrous toes.
I agree with you on the AOL/iChat issue, it just seems so obvious for AAPL. I just assume they made a list of priorities for 2.0 and some of these issues were down further on the list. Maybe I'm making excuses for them, but remember that in the year since they launched iPhone 1.0 they also launched Leopard. We know they share development teams (they delayed Leopard to pull programmers in for the first iPhone launch) could just be a simple juggling act. :confused:

Oh yeah, the 3rd party apps are ridiculously cool. I cannot wait until these are released. :confused:

And Goon, I agree. It's not even Apple setting the bar high, it's fanatics analyzing every patent and container that comes from overseas :unsure:

Any word on whether or not the keyboard will be able to be used in landscape mode all of the time?

I must add that I was a bit disappointed as well. Its not so much that I had huge expectations but I have had my iphone now for 8 months. I had a T mobile sidekick before my iphone for 4 years. Besides safari (which is huge) I would say that the sidekick was actually better. The main reason my wife bought me the iphone is because we have a Cingular plan. The sidekick was seperate so I was always carrying 2 devices.

I like that I have an ipod with video because I didnt have one but I never use the ipod function since I have a 60 gb model. I rarely use the video part but it will come in handy when my 1 year old gets a little older and we need to keep her occupied.

I guess my disappointment stems from the lack of flash and an announced slingbox player. I was so sure that this would be a definite. I really dont care about the games that are coming out. I need more real life applications. I like the iphone, please dont misunderstand but I understand knuckles not wanting to run out and get one, when in all honesty, if I had T mobile phone service and my sidekick all in one, I probably would have been very disappointed in switching to the iphone.

I also hate that if I want to have push mail I have to pay 99 bucks a month for it and get a new email address. I know yahoo is supposed to be push but I have experienced so many problems with it that I just look for my gmail mail manually.

Thinking a bit more about how i would use the device, and i came up with some random questions:

- For both the iPhone and Blackberry, can you use GMail? Is it push? Does it sync via mobileme (iPhone only obviously)? If i use the native email client on each phone, can i use an existing address? Or do i have to create a new one?

- I see emails from people that say "Sent from my Verizon Blackberry" OR "Sent from my iPhone". Are those footers automatically added, or are these people just being pretentious?

- Since there is no flash, does that mean slingbox wont work? How does the YouTube App work without Flash. I'm baffled by this. What if i want to view some clips on a news channel, i.e. FOxNews or MSNBC? Will their players work?

- Anyone with big fingers use the iPhone? How's the keyboard work for you? I'm 6'4" (you know, typical FBG) and small motor skills are not my forte` :X I'm not opposed to the touch keyboard, but i worry about looking like Homer in the episode where he gets fat and works from home ("The fingers you are using to dial this phone are too fat, please mash keypad with hand now for assistance")

- Does apple limit the types of bluetooth headsets you can use? I like the noise canceling ones. Cant go back now that i'm spoiled on those

- Do the browsers on these phones support SSL (https) connections?

That should be enough for now...thanks for all the info in previous posts. Part of the reason i want to be on board with the iPhone so badly is that my PC (home office) is in its "red Giant" phase. I will likely be switching to a MacBook as Vista was the last PC straw for me. Would love to have both my mobile and home devices be the same platform.

Thinking a bit more about how i would use the device, and i came up with some random questions:

- For both the iPhone and Blackberry, can you use GMail? Is it push? Does it sync via mobileme (iPhone only obviously)? If i use the native email client on each phone, can i use an existing address? Or do i have to create a new one?

I use gmail on the iphone right now and it is not push. From my understanding, mobilme is a seperate entity and one that has to be purchased for 99 bucks a year (that is my understanding but I could be wrong)

- I see emails from people that say "Sent from my Verizon Blackberry" OR "Sent from my iPhone". Are those footers automatically added, or are these people just being pretentious?

This is a a signature and I have mine set as my name so I dont have to type mine every time. You do not need it to say sent from my iphone

- Since there is no flash, does that mean slingbox wont work? How does the YouTube App work without Flash. I'm baffled by this. What if i want to view some clips on a news channel, i.e. FOxNews or MSNBC? Will their players work?

There is no flash. Youtube runs on quicktime. The only video I have ever been able to view is something from the apple site (although I have not really tried that often). I guess if something is posted thru youtube it will work. I would think that the news stations are flash. I was majorly disappointed by no flash and slingbox player announcement

- Anyone with big fingers use the iPhone? How's the keyboard work for you? I'm 6'4" (you know, typical FBG) and small motor skills are not my forte` :D I'm not opposed to the touch keyboard, but i worry about looking like Homer in the episode where he gets fat and works from home ("The fingers you are using to dial this phone are too fat, please mash keypad with hand now for assistance")

It takes a bit to get used to but I have no problems with it. I am much smaller then you though. I do not like the auto correct function. I have not turned it off because I have not taken the time to figure out how to do it.

- Does apple limit the types of bluetooth headsets you can use? I like the noise canceling ones. Cant go back now that i'm spoiled on those

Dont know, I hate the bluetooth sets since I watched 24 a few seasons ago.

I dont know what that is but Safari is the closest thing to the real Internet that you will find in a phone. Only sites with flash do not work.

That should be enough for now...thanks for all the info in previous posts. Part of the reason i want to be on board with the iPhone so badly is that my PC (home office) is in its "red Giant" phase. I will likely be switching to a MacBook as Vista was the last PC straw for me. Would love to have both my mobile and home devices be the same platform.

I will not be upgrading, I like my iphone gen1, and I save 10 bucks a month, until the iphone gen3 shows up.

I expected 32GB, I expected release that day of 2.0 to at least get a lead in for the existing 1.0 users..

other things I would like to have once i upgrade

1) c/p

2) removal battery

3) at least 32GB

4) Stereo Bluetooth

5) Voice Dial

would like an SD Slot, for easy file transfers…

I will not be upgrading, I like my iphone gen1, and I save 10 bucks a month, until the iphone gen3 shows up.I expected 32GB, I expected release that day of 2.0 to at least get a lead in for the existing 1.0 users..other things I would like to have once i upgrade1) c/p2) removal battery3) at least 32GB4) Stereo Bluetooth5) Voice Dialwould like an SD Slot, for easy file transfers…
:pickle: And how about sending a picture through text? Geez, two tin cans and a string can do that these days. It's a better phone for new users than 1.0, but I don't think it's nearly good enough to make a 1.0 user switch for the money increase. I'm surprised by people selling their 1.0 phone as quickly as they can to get the 2.0. Seems like a bad move.

I will not be upgrading, I like my iphone gen1, and I save 10 bucks a month, until the iphone gen3 shows up.I expected 32GB, I expected release that day of 2.0 to at least get a lead in for the existing 1.0 users..other things I would like to have once i upgrade1) c/p2) removal battery3) at least 32GB4) Stereo Bluetooth5) Voice Dialwould like an SD Slot, for easy file transfers…
:excited: And how about sending a picture through text? Geez, two tin cans and a string can do that these days. It's a better phone for new users than 1.0, but I don't think it's nearly good enough to make a 1.0 user switch for the money increase. I'm surprised by people selling their 1.0 phone as quickly as they can to get the 2.0. Seems like a bad move.
Agreed...there's nothing that screams replace your old iPhone to me unless you live out of a city and don't have ready access to wifi. I also find it comical that Apple is waiting on AOL to do IMing.

I must add that I was a bit disappointed as well. Its not so much that I had huge expectations but I have had my iphone now for 8 months. I had a T mobile sidekick before my iphone for 4 years. Besides safari (which is huge) I would say that the sidekick was actually better. The main reason my wife bought me the iphone is because we have a Cingular plan. The sidekick was seperate so I was always carrying 2 devices.

I like that I have an ipod with video because I didnt have one but I never use the ipod function since I have a 60 gb model. I rarely use the video part but it will come in handy when my 1 year old gets a little older and we need to keep her occupied.

I guess my disappointment stems from the lack of flash and an announced slingbox player. I was so sure that this would be a definite. I really dont care about the games that are coming out. I need more real life applications. I like the iphone, please dont misunderstand but I understand knuckles not wanting to run out and get one, when in all honesty, if I had T mobile phone service and my sidekick all in one, I probably would have been very disappointed in switching to the iphone.

I also hate that if I want to have push mail I have to pay 99 bucks a month for it and get a new email address. I know yahoo is supposed to be push but I have experienced so many problems with it that I just look for my gmail mail manually.
Sling is working with the iPhone SDK and are targeting a fall/winter release. They have shown a proof of concept already.
Engadget and Gizmodo have posted videos and screenshots of a "Proof of concept" version of the SlingPlayer for the iPhone and iPod Touch. The included video demonstrates how to stream video from your Slingbox, though not all options are presently enabled.

Once you connect to your Slingbox, you control channels with an on-screen remote whose buttons scroll horizontally at the bottom of the screen. There's also a scrollbar full of channel icons that provide shortcuts to specific stations. Video ran pretty smooth and looked good over a wi-fi connection. And it goes without saying, but Sling also has their fingers crossed for a 3G iPhone.

Sling Media sells the Slingbox which allows you to stream video from your home television over the internet to any supported device (Mac, PC, Mobile Phone). This native SlingPlayer port would bring that functionality to the iPhone. Unfortunately, Sling Media has not yet been accepted into the iPhone developer program, but they are targeting a "fall or winter" release.

Apple is expected to detail more about the iPhone Developer Program and the iTunes App Store on Monday, June 9th. We are providing keynote coverage at MacRumorsLive.com.
Link

Sling is working with the iPhone SDK and are targeting a fall/winter release. They have shown a proof of concept already.
Engadget and Gizmodo have posted videos and screenshots of a "Proof of concept" version of the SlingPlayer for the iPhone and iPod Touch. The included video demonstrates how to stream video from your Slingbox, though not all options are presently enabled.

Once you connect to your Slingbox, you control channels with an on-screen remote whose buttons scroll horizontally at the bottom of the screen. There's also a scrollbar full of channel icons that provide shortcuts to specific stations. Video ran pretty smooth and looked good over a wi-fi connection. And it goes without saying, but Sling also has their fingers crossed for a 3G iPhone.

Sling Media sells the Slingbox which allows you to stream video from your home television over the internet to any supported device (Mac, PC, Mobile Phone). This native SlingPlayer port would bring that functionality to the iPhone. Unfortunately, Sling Media has not yet been accepted into the iPhone developer program, but they are targeting a "fall or winter" release.

Apple is expected to detail more about the iPhone Developer Program and the iTunes App Store on Monday, June 9th. We are providing keynote coverage at MacRumorsLive.com.
Link
Thanks Goon. Makes me a little happier. Although they did say they would touch on this topic Monday and I did not see it.

AcerFC said:
BuddyKnuckles said:

I use gmail on the iphone right now and it is not push. From my understanding, mobilme is a seperate entity and one that has to be purchased for 99 bucks a year (that is my understanding but I could be wrong)

This is a a signature and I have mine set as my name so I dont have to type mine every time. You do not need it to say sent from my iphone

There is no flash. Youtube runs on quicktime. The only video I have ever been able to view is something from the apple site (although I have not really tried that often). I guess if something is posted thru youtube it will work. I would think that the news stations are flash. I was majorly disappointed by no flash and slingbox player announcement

- Anyone with big fingers use the iPhone? How's the keyboard work for you? I'm 6'4" (you know, typical FBG) and small motor skills are not my forte` :bag: I'm not opposed to the touch keyboard, but i worry about looking like Homer in the episode where he gets fat and works from home ("The fingers you are using to dial this phone are too fat, please mash keypad with hand now for assistance")

It takes a bit to get used to but I have no problems with it. I am much smaller then you though. I do not like the auto correct function. I have not turned it off because I have not taken the time to figure out how to do it.

Dont know, I hate the bluetooth sets since I watched 24 a few seasons ago.

I dont know what that is but Safari is the closest thing to the real Internet that you will find in a phone. Only sites with flash do not work.

Thanks Acer. SSL just makes the site secure (basically) so you can do things like enter credit card #s. No SSL = No CCs = X for meahgrghgrhg, man so frustrating. When will some company realize that there IS actually a market for a $800, do everything smartphone? Initial price points and even monthly fees are not an obstacle when the phone becomes a revenue enhancing tool.

Here's a basic question...how do you listen to music on your iPhone? I keep hearing that it does not have stereo bluetooth. Does that mean you have to have a separate set of headphones to listen to the music? And then when a call comes in, you have to switch headphones to the bluetooth device?

please tell me thats not the case?

Thanks Acer. SSL just makes the site secure (basically) so you can do things like enter credit card #s. No SSL = No CCs = X for me
My iPod Touch has no problem with https connections. I just accessed my bank account on it a few minutes ago.

Thanks Acer. SSL just makes the site secure (basically) so you can do things like enter credit card #s. No SSL = No CCs = X for me
My iPod Touch has no problem with https connections. I just accessed my bank account on it a few minutes ago.
:thumbup" Thanks.ETA: My iPod just died the other day...making some weird clicking noise. Sooo, since i now need a new iPod, i see no reason to buy that AND a new phone. Looks like i will going with iPhone 3G, for better or for worse.

Users who are viewing this thread