What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Gates Conundrum (1 Viewer)

kyoun1e

Footballguy
The ongoing nightmare with A. Gates continues. The official injury report for SD isn't out until today. Most think Gates will be listed as doubtful.

Curious if your a Gates owner...AND you own McMichael...are you going to wait for Monday night and just plug either Gates or McMichael in there depending on Gates' status?

Or are you just avoiding the situation alltogether, bailing on those two, and trying to find a non-SD option?

V. Jackson out until next week. Looks like M. Floyd had a little setback with his hammy as well so I wonder if that gives Mr. Gates a little more motivation in a big division game under the Monday Night Football lights.

Thoughts?

KY

I own Gates in my PPR league. I had thought about picking up McMichael to just plug in at the last minute, but last week he had 2 receptions (of course both went for TD's). I'd feel a bit better if he had a stat line of 5/70/1 or something along those lines to indicate he is more involved. I picked up Cooley off the WW and I am rolling with him this week. Sucks, but what can you do?

hes staying on my bench but I have good options, I usually carry good multiple TEs since most of my leagues allow me to play 2 or even 3. One league I have Witten / Gates / Watson and another I have Gates / Cooley / Watson.

This is no brainteaser. Gates himself is admitting the injury is extremely painful and he only partially participated in Frinday's practice.

Per Rotoword: "According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Antonio Gates (feet) "would appear doubtful" for Week 11 against the Broncos.

Gates told reporters this week that the bye, in fact, did not help heal his torn plantar fascia, calling the lingering pain "brutal" and "frustrating." Gates might try to warm up before Monday night's game, but he's no longer worth counting on if you have alternatives like Dustin Keller, Zach Miller, or Visanthe Shiancoe in Sunday games. It looks like Randy McMichael will get another start, though he remains only a low-end TE1 in fantasy."

It's time for us Gates owners to let it go for this week. He's not playing. Roll with McMike if you have no other top 10 alternative.

I just traded for the Gates/McMichael combo with eyes wide open on this situation. Hoping he puts me over the top come playoff time.

Short-term he's clearly a problem...but I knew that.

I still have A. Hernandez who I could plug in over McMichael. After the Gronkowski explosion, a little nervous about putting Hernandez in there though.

KY

I've put Hernandez in but am not thrilled about it. However, I have this feeling that he has a good game this week...and I'm not an optimist when it comes to my team this year.

May regret it, but dropped Hernandez to pick up McMike. NE/BB is too unpredictable, much like Shanny with his RB's in Denver.

I had picked up McMichael as an emergency replacement for Gates on Monday night. Looks like I'm definitely going to be using him now. Hoping he gets more looks this time around!

I have Tony G but I was hoping to play Gates. I can still pick up McMichael if I wait. I also have Roddy White, so I try to avoid 2 players from the same team. Do u guys think Tony G is the best options this week? what about that kid from new orleans?

Going Hernandez over Gates. I just need some guarenteed points as my opponent had ronnie brown this thursday and only got 1pt.

I think you have to bench Gates. He is listed as doubtful, and based off everything I have read, I'd be shocked if he plays. It sucks, but it what it is. I am not starting him in either league I own him in.

Last edited by a moderator:
shotgun72 said:
I own Gates in my PPR league. I had thought about picking up McMichael to just plug in at the last minute, but last week he had 2 receptions (of course both went for TD's). I'd feel a bit better if he had a stat line of 5/70/1 or something along those lines to indicate he is more involved. I picked up Cooley off the WW and I am rolling with him this week. Sucks, but what can you do?
I'd rather have mcmichael going over Cooley. McMichael has had two weeks of practice now with the first team. Meanwhile Fred Davis is just as likely to put up the same if not better numbers than Cooley. Of course a 50% Gates is probably better. I am ready to start either gates or mcmichael over Gonzalez or gonkowski.

I have Tony G but I was hoping to play Gates. I can still pick up McMichael if I wait. I also have Roddy White, so I try to avoid 2 players from the same team. Do u guys think Tony G is the best options this week? what about that kid from new orleans?
Not me. Check my post above. I know at Houston mcmichael had 2 catches both for td. Some my look down on that. But I see it differently. Rivers trusts mcmichael and now several weeks of first team reps. I think mcmichael will be ready for more in this weeks shoot out.

shotgun72 said:
I'd rather have mcmichael going over Cooley. McMichael has had two weeks of practice now with the first team. Meanwhile Fred Davis is just as likely to put up the same if not better numbers than Cooley. Of course a 50% Gates is probably better. I am ready to start either gates or mcmichael over Gonzalez or gonkowski.
True. Others have commented on how McMichael only had 2 targets and it was lucky that they were both for TDs. I'd think with a full week of practice, and with M. FLoyd possibly still hobbled with his hammy and Nanee still limited, maybe McMichaels targets increase.My decision is either A. Hernandez or wait on Gates/McMichael. I'm not sure McMichael carries less risk than Hernandez. Since my opponent is starting M. Tolbert on Monday Night this may be the tie breaker for McMichael.KY

Malcom Floyd-WR- Chargers Nov. 20 - 2:34 pm et

WR Malcom Floyd (hamstring) practiced Saturday while TE Antonio Gates (feet) and RB Ryan Mathews (ankle) did not.

Source:

I'm thinking about playing Heap or the Saints te over McMichael...really doubt Gates plays.
I am starting to have concerns about Gates for the rest of the season.
If this injury puts Gates out for the rest of the season, I would be amazed. Healing time should only be about 3 weeks.
This injury is one of the painful injuries for an athlete. Don`t see how Gates will ever be near 100% again this season.

I've put Hernandez in but am not thrilled about it. However, I have this feeling that he has a good game this week...and I'm not an optimist when it comes to my team this year.
Indy is better than average against the pass. I'm starting Gresham over him.In the league where I have Gates, I picked up McMichael and waiting till Monday night to find out. I'd rather have Gates but if it's McMichael that's who I start, it's as easy as that.For those that don't have Gates/McMichael and just Gates, then you decide how good your backup TE is and how many points he'll get. Then you try and figure out is it worth taking a possible ZERO if Gates doesn't play or taking the points from the backup TE. Possibly looking at your opponent and seeing their strength for the week will help you with this decision as well.My gut tell me he plays but is semi limited.

For now I have Hernandez plugged in to start. I would have to hear something positive about Gates before the NE game starts to change my mind. It sounds like he needs at least another week. I'm hoping he can get back before my leagues playoff games start, week 14.

Im rolling with Kevin Boss, 69+ yards and a td in 3 of the last 4 games vs philly, they suck vs tight ends I'll get my elite TE production this week, regardless. Hopefully Gates is back soon tho, could definitely use him :thumbup:

If he had been listed as doubtful I'd cut McMichael to gamble with Boss of Graham. But I'll take a 50/50 shot. Despite missing one game, he's still scored 40 points more than the #2 te in my league.

Anyone else gambling with Gates?

R. Mathews meanwhile is doubtful. Same with Nanee.

Yet, Gates is questionable.

And per many twitter updates from various sources, Gates did some light running today, but didn't participate in practice.

I'm suddenly leaning a bit more towards the Gates/McMichael combo vs pulling the plug early and going Hernandez.

KY

I added Graham, but rolling with gates/mcmichael. Agree with posts about the questionable listing being good news.

I'm thinking about playing Heap or the Saints te over McMichael...really doubt Gates plays.
fwiw we're going to that game tomorrow so I played the game with my 5 yr old son in Madden '09. He had the Ravens and Heap finished with 13 catches, 157 yds and a TD.

Very deep league here (16 teams, 2 TE on each roster). No good options.

Picked up D Graham from DEN and will play Gates if active, Graham if not.

I added Graham, but rolling with gates/mcmichael. Agree with posts about the questionable listing being good news.
Does anyone remember if he was last listed doubtful when he was out or has it always been questionable?If he's gone from doubtful to questionable that would be promising. Not just for this game but the rest of the season.KY

San Diego Chargers tight end Antonio Gates has practiced once in five weeks but is listed as questionable for Monday's game against the Denver Broncos. That is an upgrade from the doubtful he was listed at prior to the Chargers' last game, Nov. 7 as Houston, for which Gates was inactive.

This is encouraging. This means improvement.

I just traded for this guy for the stretch run. Maybe Gates sits this week, but this is a sign things could be improving.

KY

i dont have gates but FWIW

It has been raining here nonstop for the last day or so. Unusual for San Diego

They are saying there is a 1/5 chance for rain tomorrow.

I dont know what its like to run on that foot with wet grass?

I am just rolling with my backup (Heap) and hoping Gates gets right for the playoffs.

If you have crap for a backup, McMichael is your only answer and wait till kickoff.

1. Chargers | Antonio Gates questionable for Week 11

(KFFL) San Diego Chargers TE Antonio Gates (foot) missed practice Saturday, Nov. 20, and is considered questionable for Week 11, reports the San Diego Union-Tribune's Kevin Acee. Gates did some running on the side this week, and it could come down to how he feels before the game Monday, Nov. 22, on whether he plays or not.

2. Antonio Gates

(RotoWire) Gates (foot) is listed as questionable for Monday night's game against the Broncos, the San Diego Union-Tribune's Kevin Acee reports. Analysis: Gates didn't practice Saturday and is looking like a very risky proposition for Monday night. The safe play is to bench him and go with someone healthy, but if you have Randy McMichael on hand as a replacement, you can afford to wait until Monday night and simply plug in McMichael if Gates doesn't play.

3. Gates Doesn't Practice

(FFChamps) Antonio Gates (feet) didn't practice with the Chargers Saturday, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

4. Antonio Gates does not practice Saturday

(Rotoworld) Antonio Gates (feet) did not practice Saturday and is listed as questionable. Analysis: It's looking less and less likely that Gates will play on Monday Night Football. Owners should pick up Randy McMichael as a handcuff if better options such as Dustin Keller or Zach Miller aren't available.

5. Antonio Gates uncertain to play

(TheHuddle) San Diego Chargers TE Antonio Gates (foot) did not practice Friday, Nov. 19, and according to Scott Bair, of the North County Times, Gates is pretty frustrated. It's uncertain if Gates will be able to play in the Week 11 game Monday, Nov. 22, against the Denver Broncos. Analysis: Gates has been one of the offensive constants on the Chargers team for many seasons and has been battling foot injuries off and on throughout. The star tight end will likely play in Week 11 against Denver but fantasy owners should temper their expectations as he could see his opportunities limited this week.

________________________________________________________________________________

This is everything I see listed in the last 24 hrs. Still don't sound good. If SD's special teams hadn't of cost them a couple of games, I would think Turner would sit him but, at 4-5 they\him will do everything possible to get Gates on the field. The Questionnable tag gives us a slight hope. My other option is Hernandez and that's the way I'm leaning. I have till 4:15 to plug in my TE starter and don't believe we will get anything more except gametime decision.

Warbird,

I have Hernandez as well. I'm wondering if he's any better than McMichael to be honest and if that's the case, why not wait on Gates?

I'm in NE and i'm going to be SHOCKED if Bill B. doesn't devise the game plan around running the football to take advantage of the Colts run D, keep Manning off the field, and slow down Freeney and company's pass rush. Add in the fact that Indy is statistically strong against TEs along with the Gronkowski factor and Hernandez upside just doesn't seem very high.

McMichael meanwhile could play more of a factor if Gates is out, Floyd is slowed and Rivers is looking at Crayton.

KY

Warbird,I have Hernandez as well. I'm wondering if he's any better than McMichael to be honest and if that's the case, why not wait on Gates?I'm in NE and i'm going to be SHOCKED if Bill B. doesn't devise the game plan around running the football to take advantage of the Colts run D, keep Manning off the field, and slow down Freeney and company's pass rush. Add in the fact that Indy is statistically strong against TEs along with the Gronkowski factor and Hernandez upside just doesn't seem very high.McMichael meanwhile could play more of a factor if Gates is out, Floyd is slowed and Rivers is looking at Crayton.KY
I wish I had the McMichael option. Agree with your thinking as far as NE's game plan. However, they will have to throw the ball to keep up in what should be a high scoring game. The "Gronkowski factor" is a worry. If I were you, I would wait on the news whether Gates is active or not instead of playing Hernandez. Let's face it with the way Rivers is playing, probably you and I could catch a TD pass from him....... For me, I'm still pondering.......

Looks like I'm going with Aaron Hernandez instead of Gates like so many others. We're playing 2 games this week and don't want to see McMichael running out there.

Going with Jimmy Graham, maybe it's because it would be a fun surprise, but I'm too tempted by the upside. Just not confident in McMichael and just doesn't sound good for Gates.

Users who are viewing this thread