What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE JEEP THREAD > All Things Jeep (1 Viewer)

Between the BMW X7 I just bought recently (god I love this car so effing much) and the 1979 Scout I have in the garage, I don't have a need for a Jeep at this point.  Would love a totally tricked out and lifted Gladiator at some point, and may consider trading the Scout to do that, but the Scout is just so unique and fun, it's hard to get rid of.  That said, a Jeep would be a lot more practical, could take it on long drives, etc. etc.
I can say that I am amazed at the ride of the new Jeeps.  Not to say it’s a Cadillac, but I could see myself taking long trips in it.  My wife vetoed the Gladiator.  :no marriage:

Last edited by a moderator:
Still holding on to my 2000 Jeep Cherokee. First new car I ever owned. We have 3-cars in a two-driver family and no real place to store but damnit, it's mine and I love it!

Still the lowest maintenance car I ever owned. Only major work was replacing the radiator 4-5 years ago. The head gasket leaks a little oil, the AC has a small leak somewhere but overall, she's a beaut. Only about 140k miles on it. Not too bad for a 20-year old vehicle. I get an offer to buy it every couple of months as there aren't a whole lot of them still around in South Florida. If anything, I'll retire it up to my MIL garage in Illinois until I decide what to do with it. Maybe I'll give it to my son. He turns 16 next year.....hmmm.....
I had a 1999 Cherokee.  I loved that thing.  They are really hard to come by in decent shape now.

Still holding on to my 2000 Jeep Cherokee. First new car I ever owned. We have 3-cars in a two-driver family and no real place to store but damnit, it's mine and I love it!

Still the lowest maintenance car I ever owned. Only major work was replacing the radiator 4-5 years ago. The head gasket leaks a little oil, the AC has a small leak somewhere but overall, she's a beaut. Only about 140k miles on it. Not too bad for a 20-year old vehicle. I get an offer to buy it every couple of months as there aren't a whole lot of them still around in South Florida. If anything, I'll retire it up to my MIL garage in Illinois until I decide what to do with it. Maybe I'll give it to my son. He turns 16 next year.....hmmm.....
I had a 1999 Cherokee.  I loved that thing.  They are really hard to come by in decent shape now.
Had a 1993 and 2-door 1991.  No issues with either.  The '91 was pretty much reduced to a kayak hauler later in it's life.  I had it sold to a place that builds crawlers/mudders, but a tree fell on it before they could pick it up.  :(  

I can say that I am amazed at the ride of the new Jeeps.  Not to say it’s a Cadillac, but I could see myself taking long trips in it.  My wife vetoed the Gladiator.  :no marriage:
My wife loves her JL and I find the Gladiator super tempting but I'm not sure its big enough for my future towing needs. And I really want to go electric with my next truck. 

Does anyone have a set of Weathertech floor mats? The full set for my Liberty is $300 and the color match isn't the best..

But I think they will eliminate some of the where and tear this hunting season.

Thanks.

Does anyone have a set of Weathertech floor mats? The full set for my Liberty is $300 and the color match isn't the best..

Thanks.
Yes. I put them or Husky's in each of my vehicles.

anyone got any of the sweet if found flip over stuff those really tell the world how tough the jeep you never drive off of a paved surface could potentially be if you did not live in suburbia and use it for groceries and going back and forth to your horrible job every day primarily take that to the bank brohan 

anyone got any of the sweet if found flip over stuff those really tell the world how tough the jeep you never drive off of a paved surface could potentially be if you did not live in suburbia and use it for groceries and going back and forth to your horrible job every day primarily take that to the bank brohan 
I use mine for groceries and have come close to flipping one in the past so I dunno the answer.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC

Thanks.
Weather tech in my Wife’s.  I like them a lot.

I got weathertech mats for my wrangler and thought they seemed sort of flimsy compared to the ones purchased for wife’s  SUV. 

anyone planning any cool kc light additions to there kick butt grocery getters and never off road but could be if i wasnt going to another soccer game rides or what take that to the bank brohans 

I've had jeeps for most of my adult life. 2 CJ-7's, 2 wranglers, 1. cherokee. I now have a RZR. Sometimes I miss the jeep. I almost sold the RZR and bought a 90% restored 84 CJ-7 but I just couldnt pull the trigger. Ridiculous that my rzr is worth about $20K and the Jeep was kind of pricey at $8,500.

I wanted to like that Gladiator.  Really I did.  I was excited about it.  I think it’s kind of awful looking.
You can say the about any vehicle I suppose including the new Bronco. It's been great for me so far just a joy to have. I can haul what I need and the kids love it with the roof and doors off.  I would say see one in person if you haven't and t he Rubicon model has a much nicer looker.

My dad bought a '71 Jeep Wagoneer brand new. We took that on multiple family vacations throughout my childhood. My oldest brother was kind of a juvenile delinquent. There was a weekend where my dad and other brother went on a weekend hunting trip. We left the Jeep behind and took one of my dad's buddy's Suburban. As we pulled up to the house on Sunday evening, there sat the jeep with all the glass broke out? Turns out my older brother snuck out of the house on Saturday night and took the Jeep for a joyride with his friends. He was doing donuts on the infield at the baseball diamond a few blocks away and rolled it. Needless to say, my dad was beyond upset. But, he fixed the bodywork and had all the glass replaced. All of us used it as our first vehicle (well, except my oldest brother) when we got our licenses in the mid to late 80's. That thing was a tank. 

TL:DR, kids ruin all your nice vehicles.

The first vehicle I purchased for 600 dollars was a 78 Wagoneer with the 360 big block when i was 16. I worked at Burger King and it took me a month of saving up. It got awful fuel economy and the fuel gauge did not work. You had to write down the mileage every time you added gas and you had to guess at how much fuel was left. That was too much responsibility for a 16 year old and I ran out of gas a few times.

The locks did not work and you did not need a key to turn the ignition. Meaning anyone could jump in and drive it at any time. Even though people at the highschool parking lot knew that the vehicle was never stolen.

What a crappy vehicle.

The first vehicle I purchased for 600 dollars was a 78 Wagoneer with the 360 big block when i was 16. I worked at Burger King and it took me a month of saving up. It got awful fuel economy and the fuel gauge did not work. You had to write down the mileage every time you added gas and you had to guess at how much fuel was left. That was too much responsibility for a 16 year old and I ran out of gas a few times.

The locks did not work and you did not need a key to turn the ignition. Meaning anyone could jump in and drive it at any time. Even though people at the highschool parking lot knew that the vehicle was never stolen.

What a crappy vehicle.
Ha. I had a 77 Warlock that by the time I got it had that 360.  And a 10 gallon fuel tank so I had a range of maybe 100 miles if I didn't get into it.  The ignition just hung under the dash and no key either. I loved that truck. It was such a pain in the ###.

Ha. I had a 77 Warlock that by the time I got it had that 360.  And a 10 gallon fuel tank so I had a range of maybe 100 miles if I didn't get into it.  The ignition just hung under the dash and no key either. I loved that truck. It was such a pain in the ###.
You must have gotten that good of gas mileage because the truck was lighter than the wagoneer or maybe you had a better transmission. The wagoneer had a 3 speed and I only got 7 mpg, which I had to calculate every time i fueled up due to the broken fuel gauge.

Mine did have an awesome  8 track player though, which made up for some of the deficiencies.

I'm really considering getting back into the Jeep family.  Owned a '95 YJ until ~2007 or so.  Nicely modified.  It was my baby.  My 1st real car.  High-school, undergrad, and my party years.  It's the only car I've ever ultimately regretted selling.  Currently have 2 young kids...and my "fun" car is a Porsche Cayman that basically never gets driven due to car seats and almost never going anywhere sans kids.  Finally got my wife at least partially on-board for a fun car if I sell the Cayman - Wrangler Unlimited seems to fit the bill.

I'm looking at the new Wrangler Unlimited 4xe Rubicon - mainly because the government incentives make it a pretty dang good deal.  It'd be used probably 80% as a fun around-town car, maybe some very very mild trial rides with the family or something.  No major rock crawling.  I want the look of the bigger tires and aggressive feel - That's a jeep to me - but it's not going to get pushed the way I pushed my old YJ.  The other 20% would be to supplement my daily driver Volvo XC90 - either on vacation trips or visiting family.

Two questions -

#1 - any thoughts on the 4xe powertrain?  My other consideration would be the diesel - My main goal is better fuel efficiency, and longevity.  I'm not planning on selling this one.  If it makes it 10 years like my old one did, It'll be my son's 1st car when he turns 16.  

#2 - What's the best forum for Jeep stuff these days?  I want to see what's out there in terms of mild modifications - bumpers, light bars, etc.

Thanks all - just starting my re-initiation into the Jeep family - we'll see how it goes...

Back in the club with 2021 2 door Willys
I purchased 2021 Willy’s Unlimited in January as well. Upgraded from an Unlimited Sport. Love it. Retractable roof so I don’t have to mess with taking the hard top off. Only been on trails a couple times, but handles great. 

• Love
Reactions: KGB
I'm really considering getting back into the Jeep family.  Owned a '95 YJ until ~2007 or so.  Nicely modified.  It was my baby.  My 1st real car.  High-school, undergrad, and my party years.  It's the only car I've ever ultimately regretted selling.  Currently have 2 young kids...and my "fun" car is a Porsche Cayman that basically never gets driven due to car seats and almost never going anywhere sans kids.  Finally got my wife at least partially on-board for a fun car if I sell the Cayman - Wrangler Unlimited seems to fit the bill.

I'm looking at the new Wrangler Unlimited 4xe Rubicon - mainly because the government incentives make it a pretty dang good deal.  It'd be used probably 80% as a fun around-town car, maybe some very very mild trial rides with the family or something.  No major rock crawling.  I want the look of the bigger tires and aggressive feel - That's a jeep to me - but it's not going to get pushed the way I pushed my old YJ.  The other 20% would be to supplement my daily driver Volvo XC90 - either on vacation trips or visiting family.

Two questions -

#1 - any thoughts on the 4xe powertrain?  My other consideration would be the diesel - My main goal is better fuel efficiency, and longevity.  I'm not planning on selling this one.  If it makes it 10 years like my old one did, It'll be my son's 1st car when he turns 16.  

#2 - What's the best forum for Jeep stuff these days?  I want to see what's out there in terms of mild modifications - bumpers, light bars, etc.

Thanks all - just starting my re-initiation into the Jeep family - we'll see how it goes...
You know you really want the Rubicon 392!

I have no idea what timeframe dealer orders for new Jeeps are taking or what discounts dealers are offering on orders.  But I can tell you the used market and dealer stock is insane right now. We are actually in the process of unexpectedly selling our 2018 Rubicon because an online service offered us 5k over what we paid for it new 3 years ago!

You know you really want the Rubicon 392!

I have no idea what timeframe dealer orders for new Jeeps are taking or what discounts dealers are offering on orders.  But I can tell you the used market and dealer stock is insane right now. We are actually in the process of unexpectedly selling our 2018 Rubicon because an online service offered us 5k over what we paid for it new 3 years ago!
-I- want a 392...but I'm just happy to be hopefully getting back into anything at this point.

I looked briefly at used ones, and saw exactly what you are saying - there's basically no depreciation on lightly used ones.  A few grand more and you can get a new one.  To your point though - I have no clue how long it'd take to get what I want from the dealer.  Haven't gotten to that point yet.  

I'd classify Jeeps in the same way boats seem to be selling - Anything that helps you enjoy the outdoors is selling like hot cakes.

I know going in this is a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. What is "JK" model in the world of jeeps? I have a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sport. Is that JK model? Asking because I see a part made for JK models that I'm very interested in.

I know going in this is a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. What is "JK" model in the world of jeeps? I have a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sport. Is that JK model? Asking because I see a part made for JK models that I'm very interested in.
It's the body style indicator.  CJ is for earlier "pre-Wrangler" Jeeps.

Wrangler YJ. 1986 – 1995

Wrangler TJ. 1996 – 2006

Wrangler JK. 2006 – 2018

Wrangler JL. 2018 – Now

So I dont own a jeep, want one badly, maybe in 1.5 years when my truck is paid off and handed down to my oldest. 

But I have a question: I live in NY, so not perfect weather but we are in summer now. I see prob 10 or so jeeps a day. I maybe see 2 per week that actually have their top or doors off. 

So what gives? Why own one of these if you are not going to go topless? Is it a big PIA to do? Do people get these and not realize what it takes to convert it? It dives me crazy (as a wanna-be jeep owner) when it s a beautiful day and I see these awesome rides all covered up like a nun on the beach. It makes me want to revoke their Jeep card. 

glvsav37 said:
So I dont own a jeep, want one badly, maybe in 1.5 years when my truck is paid off and handed down to my oldest. 

But I have a question: I live in NY, so not perfect weather but we are in summer now. I see prob 10 or so jeeps a day. I maybe see 2 per week that actually have their top or doors off. 

So what gives? Why own one of these if you are not going to go topless? Is it a big PIA to do? Do people get these and not realize what it takes to convert it? It dives me crazy (as a wanna-be jeep owner) when it s a beautiful day and I see these awesome rides all covered up like a nun on the beach. It makes me want to revoke their Jeep card. 

Lol. We got a Jeep for my wife in December (luckily) because she always wanted a convertible and there really aren’t any good 4-5 seat convertible cars. She loves it, but we haven’t done the doors off yet. I think it’s a combo of rain, we’ve had a ton this winter, spring and even summer and the fact that we haven’t been home for a weekend for 2 months until this past weekend. Can’t go doorless and get rained on without a garage. I need to clean out the garage this weekend so I may figure out the doors. My main issue would be finding a place where they won’t get scratched up. We got the power top which is awesome and I’ve taken the back windows out a ton.

Lol. We got a Jeep for my wife in December (luckily) because she always wanted a convertible and there really aren’t any good 4-5 seat convertible cars. She loves it, but we haven’t done the doors off yet. I think it’s a combo of rain, we’ve had a ton this winter, spring and even summer and the fact that we haven’t been home for a weekend for 2 months until this past weekend. Can’t go doorless and get rained on without a garage. I need to clean out the garage this weekend so I may figure out the doors. My main issue would be finding a place where they won’t get scratched up. We got the power top which is awesome and I’ve taken the back windows out a ton.
I guess a garage is helpful. Many people around me don't have or don't use their garage for cars. 

I've fantasy researched a lot and saw people make lifts for the top and hangers in the garage for the doors. 

I guess a garage is helpful. Many people around me don't have or don't use their garage for cars. 

I've fantasy researched a lot and saw people make lifts for the top and hangers in the garage for the doors. 
Yeah, not doing the lift since we have the power top. We park two cars in the garage but we’ve got a full weight rack in the middle for my sons and a full fridge and storage racks so it’s really just the doors themselves. Taking the back windows out is easy with the storage bag and they fit in the back. I did find door hangars that looked decent so I’ll try it out and see if we want to go that route to make it much easier.

I purchased 2021 Willy’s Unlimited in January as well. Upgraded from an Unlimited Sport. Love it. Retractable roof so I don’t have to mess with taking the hard top off. Only been on trails a couple times, but handles great. 
I almost wish I got the 4 door, just for the convertable option!!!

So I'm going to be back in the market for a Jeep as soon as I sell my Cayman...My first car was a Wrangler 25 years ago....What I've noticed is most jeeps used to come with half-doors on the soft tops...now very very few Jeeps come with the half-doors.  When I had mine, the top was off pretty much all summer.  I relied on a bikini top and a tonneau and the soft door uppers.  If it rained, I put the uppers on and the bikini/tonneau kept 95% of the rain out.  I'm kind of surprised it's not like that anymore.  Now I'm pretty much resolved to get hard doors - which means even going topless means I have a full door frame/window right next to me.  

I'm still between a Wrangler 4-door and a Gladiator - leaning Gladiator.  I don't think it'll even fit in my very shallow/crowded garage, but whatever.  I can always get a cover if I leave it outside without the top.  If I get a hard-top, I'll build a hoist.  I have my 2-seater 14' fishing kayak up on my garage ceiling now via a Harbor Freight electric hoist.  It's amazing what you can put on your garage ceiling!

So I'm going to be back in the market for a Jeep as soon as I sell my Cayman...My first car was a Wrangler 25 years ago....What I've noticed is most jeeps used to come with half-doors on the soft tops...now very very few Jeeps come with the half-doors.  When I had mine, the top was off pretty much all summer.  I relied on a bikini top and a tonneau and the soft door uppers.  If it rained, I put the uppers on and the bikini/tonneau kept 95% of the rain out.  I'm kind of surprised it's not like that anymore.  Now I'm pretty much resolved to get hard doors - which means even going topless means I have a full door frame/window right next to me.  

I'm still between a Wrangler 4-door and a Gladiator - leaning Gladiator.  I don't think it'll even fit in my very shallow/crowded garage, but whatever.  I can always get a cover if I leave it outside without the top.  If I get a hard-top, I'll build a hoist.  I have my 2-seater 14' fishing kayak up on my garage ceiling now via a Harbor Freight electric hoist.  It's amazing what you can put on your garage ceiling!
You can order them with half doors.  

It's not jeep, but thinking about getting a first gen sequoia for family overland trips.  Problem is trying to find one.

No doubt a minor thing with the folks in this thread but did my first mod on my JK unlimited, making the rear seats more bucket with a spacer kit. Pretty exhausting getting necessary bolts out, but hopefully will get less feedback from back seat passengers. Sort of got me more willing to attempt other mods.

• Smile
Reactions: KGB
I am looking at possibly trading my 2016 Unlimited sport for a 2021 Unlimited Willy but it has the 4 cyl engine. Can anyone tell me if i would notice a drop groin from the 6 cly to the 4 cyl

thank you

Users who are viewing this thread