What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Shark Pool in Decline - What happened? (1 Viewer)

It would be nice to have a member's only forum.
What's the downside?
the downside is that, "Remember when the members only forum used to be good" thread is in its near future.
:lmao: :lmao:

I'd like a subscribers' forum if we could restrict them to posting there

o/u on this thread is 8 pages by this time tomorrow
Agreed. They'd have a great time congratulating each other on being "great posters" because they have on 03 reg date.

The mass exodus to the LarryGuys Forums pulled a lot of quality people away from this and other similar sites.

Been that way forever. There is still good info though. Just put certain users on ignore and you're good to go.
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43046

Something that needs to be said...Started by faede, Oct 23 2003 12:49 AM

This board is getting worse and worse as the days go on....
Funny that that thread was locked after 4 pages.
yeah, hopefully this one gets locked a lot sooner

Last edited by a moderator:
Been that way forever. There is still good info though. Just put certain users on ignore and you're good to go.

sometime after that Bored Stormtrooper was banned for 83 years, so if the boards still got worse moderation is not the answer

love ya BS

mourn ya till i join ya

:pourssomeout:

And here's Joe's response:

Hi Faede,Actually, I thought it was a good post. Shick! is right in that sometimes the old days get remembered a little more fondly than they really were, but I have to admit I've seen the attitude stray some from what made this board what it is. Every board has it's "niche" whether it be a place to trade insults or jokes or information. Our niche has always been a flame free zone where people can share information.Let's please make a move back toward that and save the attitude stuff for the FFA. Keep it Bill and Ted with the "be excellent to one another" and we'll be good.Let's see how it goes. It's a lot better to ask first. If that doesn't work, we'll start weeding out the guys that can't fit within the paramaters of what we're looking for. It's cool to have a ton of people on the board. But honestly, it'd save me a bunch of money if the board were 500 serious people trading good information and not being trolls vs having a ton of traffic and having to spend time dealing with it.Let's see how it goes.J

And maybe this needs to be said more often:

Shick!, on Sep 19 2003, 01:33 PM, said:

[SIZE=14pt]There is no pissing in the Shark Pool! [/SIZE]

Hi Faede,Actually, I thought it was a good post. Shick! is right in that sometimes the old days get remembered a little more fondly than they really were, but I have to admit I've seen the attitude stray some from what made this board what it is. Every board has it's "niche" whether it be a place to trade insults or jokes or information. Our niche has always been a flame free zone where people can share information.Let's please make a move back toward that and save the attitude stuff for the FFA. Keep it Bill and Ted with the "be excellent to one another" and we'll be good.Let's see how it goes. It's a lot better to ask first. If that doesn't work, we'll start weeding out the guys that can't fit within the paramaters of what we're looking for. It's cool to have a ton of people on the board. But honestly, it'd save me a bunch of money if the board were 500 serious people trading good information and not being trolls vs having a ton of traffic and having to spend time dealing with it.Let's see how it goes.J

Nice find.

I wonder what happened (not to Shick!...that's FBG lore).

Nice find.

They stopped weeding out the guys that can't fit within the paramaters of what they're looking for. :shrug:

Same as it ever was. There's always good info to be found here, and you've always had to dig sometimes to get it. I've been around long enough to know how to mentally filter, it's a key skill in getting the most out of this forum.
Agreed. Pretty much what I was going to say.
Could be the case. Seems worse every year - or I get older and less patient each year. Some moderation could help though.

I think there's something to be said for the "blame twitter" response.
This is where the biggest difference is imo. BS threads used to get shut down. Snarky responses weren't tolerated (remember Joe telling ppl to "turn the tool factor way down"?). Start a stupid fishing thread? Temp time out was coming. Mods packed it in.

And besides Adam and Greg, what mods do you see here anymore? MT occasionally. Has Wood posted anything since McNabb got traded from the Eagles? Pasquino?
This is why I pretty much stopped using the Shark Pool. Quality of the forums has gone way, way down. Despite all the "it's the same" responses, it's not. There used to be no tolerance for BS responses that are only posted to insult someone; now they're in almost every thread.

FBG's subscriber information has gotten steadily worse over the last decade as well. The amount of info has risen dramatically but the quality has become fairly terrible (compared to what it once was- I'm sure plenty still like it). For me, it's turned me from an almost decade long subscriber and 5 or 6 year poster to someone who will look elsewhere for fantasy info. :(

Nice find.

yeah

the most amazing thing in that thread is JB saying Shick! was right

lol

Nice find.

They stopped weeding out the guys that can't fit within the paramaters of what they're looking for. :shrug:
Right, buy why? Did JB have a volunteer staff that got burned out? Did JB pay a staff and decide that it cost too much? Is JB still in charge? It's almost like he sold the place.

I think part of the reason is that you can't start a topic about anything without a bunch of people #####ing that the topic didn't need to be started and should be posted some other existing thread about the player involved, often dating back to 2012 or earlier. It really limits discussion, and there are far fewer new threads these days compared to years past.
Actually, this is the opposite of the problem. There are often like 3 threads about the same player.

There are just way too many threads, most of them useless. If the front page had 50% useful FF talk, that would be great. Worst dynasty trade offers and stuff like that has no place here. Repeat threads should be deleted or merged. Anything remotely resembling AC material should be moved. Keeping the front page pertinent should be the main goal.

Pretty much, imo.

The majority of people who post are rookies or new to the game who are pining for as much information as humanly possible. Once people begin to get a better grasp of the game, they begin posting less.

Therefore, the majority of posts you see are from newbies.

Sounds like some fine group of posters need to make a rival site. ;) C'mon boys, let's get our share of the pie.

(PM me.)

Nice find.

Right, buy why? Did JB have a volunteer staff that got burned out? Did JB pay a staff and decide that it cost too much? Is JB still in charge? It's almost like he sold the place.
The reason can be found right here:

But honestly, it'd save me a bunch of money if the board were 500 serious people trading good information and not being trolls vs having a ton of traffic and having to spend time dealing with it.Let's see how it goes.J

This just isnt true LOL

Same as it ever was. There's always good info to be found here, and you've always had to dig sometimes to get it. I've been around long enough to know how to mentally filter, it's a key skill in getting the most out of this forum.
Agreed. Pretty much what I was going to say.
Could be the case. Seems worse every year - or I get older and less patient each year. Some moderation could help though.

I think there's something to be said for the "blame twitter" response.
This is where the biggest difference is imo. BS threads used to get shut down. Snarky responses weren't tolerated (remember Joe telling ppl to "turn the tool factor way down"?). Start a stupid fishing thread? Temp time out was coming. Mods packed it in.

And besides Adam and Greg, what mods do you see here anymore? MT occasionally. Has Wood posted anything since McNabb got traded from the Eagles? Pasquino?
This is why I pretty much stopped using the Shark Pool. Quality of the forums has gone way, way down. Despite all the "it's the same" responses, it's not. There used to be no tolerance for BS responses that are only posted to insult someone; now they're in almost every thread.

FBG's subscriber information has gotten steadily worse over the last decade as well. The amount of info has risen dramatically but the quality has become fairly terrible (compared to what it once was- I'm sure plenty still like it). For me, it's turned me from an almost decade long subscriber and 5 or 6 year poster to someone who will look elsewhere for fantasy info. :(
I completely agree on each account. Subscriber content seems to be about quantity, not quality (with some notable exceptions). Maybe some of that effort could be directed toward the forums, but who wants to moderate stuff?

Thing is, I bet many moderators read the boards and know exactly what we're talking about. After all, they're fantasy guys too.

I think part of the reason is that you can't start a topic about anything without a bunch of people #####ing that the topic didn't need to be started and should be posted some other existing thread about the player involved, often dating back to 2012 or earlier. It really limits discussion, and there are far fewer new threads these days compared to years past.
Actually, this is the opposite of the problem. There are often like 3 threads about the same player.

There are just way too many threads, most of them useless. If the front page had 50% useful FF talk, that would be great. Worst dynasty trade offers and stuff like that has no place here. Repeat threads should be deleted or merged. Anything remotely resembling AC material should be moved. Keeping the front page pertinent should be the main goal.
whats the problem with more lighthearted threads like the dynasty trade thing? sometimes its cool to just shoot the ####. this place isn't just for hardcore analysis. how can you build a community if that's all it is?

Pretty much, imo.

The majority of people who post are rookies or new to the game who are pining for as much information as humanly possible. Once people begin to get a better grasp of the game, they begin posting less.

Makes sense. 80% of my posts were probably in my first 2 or 3 seasons.

Pretty much, imo.

Lot of posters in that old thread that you just don't see here anymore.

Pretty much, imo.

the majority of posts are from young fun newbies and the rest are from jaded curmudgeons LOL

Pretty much, imo.

the majority of posts are from young fun newbies and the rest are from jaded curmudgeons LOL
This post speaks volumes.

Pretty much, imo.

It was a joke.... I understand both sides.

What in the hell happened to the Shark Pool? What was once probably the best single resource for fantasy football anywhere - and frankly the reason I pay for an annual subscription despite the fact that the forums are free - has now degraded into a forum full of bickering and sniping and an endless chain of associated replies. Between the bickering and sniping, we're inundated with people's team information (cool story bro), which is usually worthless (yes, trade information can be valuable, useful). Others attempt to disguise "who do I start/trade" better suited for the Assistant Coach forum.

Why doesn't FBG moderate anymore? Cost? Interest? Too great a task to moderate properly?

A degraded FBG forum is a degraded FBG. I presume FBG realizes that the forums are often a potential customer's first look at FBG as a fantasy service.

There's still a great deal of valuable information in the Shark Pool but man it's just not worth wading through the garbage to get there.

Maybe it's time for an FBG members Shark Pool but I'm not sure that's the answer.
All of the quality posters have moved onto hawkscreech.com where Coach Otis lays it all out for us.

oh and if anyone wonders where the moderation is, it's still here except with a different focus. instead of focusing on flame wars and keeping the shark tank on topic, they're giving people timeouts for using naughty words like peepee or weewee. I got a timeout just last week for saying #### only with a z instead of an s so that people could read it instead of seeing ##############################. God forbid anyone read that on their screen, right?

whats the problem with more lighthearted threads like the dynasty trade thing? sometimes its cool to just shoot the ####. this place isn't just for hardcore analysis. how can you build a community if that's all it is?
I wish it was just for hardcore analysis. I don't think it's ever cool to shoot the #### with random dudes on the internet, nor do I have time to do so. I just want news and analysis.

You build a community by attracting the right people. People who are smart and capable of analysis probably don't have a lot of time on their hands, as opposed to people who just want to chat and talk about their rosters. I mean, isn't the FFA where people are supposed to go to shoot the ####?

oh and if anyone wonders where the moderation is, it's still here except with a different focus. instead of focusing on flame wars and keeping the shark tank on topic, they're giving people timeouts for using naughty words like peepee or weewee. I got a timeout just last week for saying #### only with a z instead of an s so that people could read it instead of seeing ##############################. God forbid anyone read that on their screen, right?
Free For All FAQStarted by FBG Moderator, May 22 2007 10:12 PM

14. Language Filter

We have a language filter in place to help keep the boards acceptable for a home or workplace. Our members don't want their children or boss looking over their shoulder at profanity.

A said

That call by the ref was ####### horrible.
B said

Clayton is a ####### ##########.
C said

D said

The filter is doing its job in A, and the person is expressing an idea while swearing for emphasis. An account will probably not be suspended for this. The user may be warned. We would prefer you didn't curse on our boards at all as we're striving for a PG atmosphere. Admittedly, its a line we have a tough time defining. If you paint our boards with profanity-laced tirades you can be sure action will be taken against your account. In B the poster is making a personal attack that may result in a suspension. The fact that the insult is partially hidden doesn't forgive the fact that it's an insult. C and D are examples of circumventing the language filter that are not acceptable and may lead to a warning or suspension. Yes, I circumvented the filter in D and gave myself a warning.

I wish it was just for hardcore analysis. I don't think it's ever cool to shoot the #### with random dudes on the internet, nor do I have time to do so. I just want news and analysis.

You build a community by attracting the right people. People who are smart and capable of analysis probably don't have a lot of time on their hands, as opposed to people who just want to chat and talk about their rosters. I mean, isn't the FFA where people are supposed to go to shoot the ####?

I blame myself. For all of it. It's me.

But fear not. Self-flagellation will occur in an effor to correct the problem. Expect this place to pick back up in two days*.

* Maybe three, if I find I like it.

Pretty much, imo.

I understand it was a bit tongue in cheek. Still speaks volumes. Just different generations and perhaps there's a passing of the torch taking place.

I could be off but I sense you're probably in your early or mid-20s. You use phrases like "LOL" when you communicate on the Internet. You know social media. Facebook. Twitter. Tumblr. You know what a hashtag is and how to use it. You look to the internet for fun. You don't like censorship on the Internet.

I'm 41. Different generation. Still tech savvy but not keeping up with it as quickly as it's changing and have lost interest. We're married, have kids. We remember the yellow boards. We remember when JB was on these boards. We played fantasy football when we didn't know who won until after getting the Monday morning newspaper. We spent our 20s watching the NFL in bars on Sunday despite our hangovers from Saturday night so we could watch as many games as possible. Now we're like our dads, complaining about the new generation. The music sucks, they're lazy, they feel entitled, etc.

I see you post in the AC pretty frequently. Total respect for that. Not many people do.

I blame myself. For all of it. It's me.

But fear not. Self-flagellation will occur in an effor to correct the problem. Expect this place to pick back up in two days*.

* Maybe three, if I find I like it.
did you just say you are going to fart on yourself?

2,157 posts

just sayin'.....

Free For All FAQStarted by FBG Moderator, May 22 2007 10:12 PM

14. Language Filter

We have a language filter in place to help keep the boards acceptable for a home or workplace. Our members don't want their children or boss looking over their shoulder at profanity.

A said

That call by the ref was ####### horrible.
B said

Clayton is a ####### ##########.
C said

D said

The filter is doing its job in A, and the person is expressing an idea while swearing for emphasis. An account will probably not be suspended for this. The user may be warned. We would prefer you didn't curse on our boards at all as we're striving for a PG atmosphere. Admittedly, its a line we have a tough time defining. If you paint our boards with profanity-laced tirades you can be sure action will be taken against your account. In B the poster is making a personal attack that may result in a suspension. The fact that the insult is partially hidden doesn't forgive the fact that it's an insult. C and D are examples of circumventing the language filter that are not acceptable and may lead to a warning or suspension. Yes, I circumvented the filter in D and gave myself a warning.
it's just kind of weird, because every other thread in that forum is a "who's hotter" thread with half naked chicks in it, as if that's safe for work but seeing the word #### or #### on your screen is somehow on another level.

and if your swearing policy has to have 4 different examples to point itself out, your moderating focus is in the wrong place entirely. maybe that's why the shark pool turned to ####. the mods are all scouring posts looking for the scum of the earth who happen to circumvent the naughty word filter.

Pretty much, imo.

I understand it was a bit tongue in cheek. Still speaks volumes. Just different generations and perhaps there's a passing of the torch taking place.

I could be off but I sense you're probably in your early or mid-20s. You use phrases like "LOL" when you communicate on the Internet. You know social media. Facebook. Twitter. Tumblr. You know what a hashtag is and how to use it. You look to the internet for fun. You don't like censorship on the Internet.

I'm 41. Different generation. Still tech savvy but not keeping up with it as quickly as it's changing and have lost interest. We're married, have kids. We remember the yellow boards. We remember when JB was on these boards. We played fantasy football when we didn't know who won until after getting the Monday morning newspaper. We spent our 20s watching the NFL in bars on Sunday despite our hangovers from Saturday night so we could watch as many games as possible. Now we're like our dads, complaining about the new generation. The music sucks, they're lazy, they feel entitled, etc.

I see you post in the AC pretty frequently. Total respect for that. Not many people do.
Hey 41 is still young... the music cant suck that bad for you yet can it?

why don't you guys just add #### to the naughty word filter if you don't like it?

how do you feel about gfy?

waitaminute.....wut?

why does yours work?

and why isn't it st#u?

Pretty much, imo.

Very little good new music since Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

Pretty much, imo.

Very little good new music since Nirvana and Pearl Jam.
Just have to go off-the-grid for it. The good music is all indie now. Andrew Bird, The Mountain Goats, Slim Cessna's Auto Club (my personal favorite)....

An easy answer to this issue would be to let the thread creator mod their own thread; not with edit power, just deletion. That way you could start a thread and keep it clean by deleting any replies that don't contribute to the conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread