What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Tea Party is back in business! (1 Viewer)

Is this another thread where the resident liberals get to tell us what's good for the GOP?
Yes, and as in the previous threads you won't listen.
Because listening to lefties tell us what's good for the GOP is NOT in their best interests? They're doing it out of the kindness of their own hearts?
Your defensiveness in political threads is truly odd.
I don't think this answered EITHER of my questions. Care to try?

Is this another thread where the resident liberals get to tell us what's good for the GOP?
Because listening to lefties tell us what's good for the GOP is NOT in their best interests? They're doing it out of the kindness of their own hearts?
I dunno, seems like some here are looking to conduct an objective political discourse about certain realities. Well, relatively objective at least.

And not all "lefties" at that.

Just keep doing-what-you're-doing Tea Baggers and GOP.

You guys have this stuff "nailed".
60% of state Governors are Republicans. I think the party is doing OK. But thanks for your "concern".
Why are so many seemingly (and let's be honest, perhaps actually in some cases) concerned more about party than country?
Since we have a two party system I assume most people want the party that they associate with to do well.

Just keep doing-what-you're-doing Tea Baggers and GOP. You guys have this stuff "nailed".
60% of state Governors are Republicans. I think the party is doing OK. But thanks for your "concern".
Hey, that's something to be proud of... good job.
Your governor has a more of a direct influence on your daily life than the president.
I'm concerned about the US far more then myself in the equation.

Just keep doing-what-you're-doing Tea Baggers and GOP. You guys have this stuff "nailed".
Your governor has a more of a direct influence on your daily life than the president.
Yep. And so does your county exec, town manager, and state senator. I've been voting since 1980 and have never once voted for a local candidate based on party affiliation. In fact, "party" seems almost meaningless at that level in terms of what a candidate will do or stand for.

Wanna make a difference in your quality of life? Stop sweating the national stuff and work at the local level.

I was just commenting on how defensive you are. You are very defensive.

Why are so many seemingly (and let's be honest, perhaps actually in some cases) concerned more about party than country?
Since we have a two party system I assume most people want the party that they associate with to do well.
To do well, fine. At the expense of talking about bettering our nation? Shortsighted, selfish and utterly unpatriotic. Not to mention disgusting. And it permeates the political dialogue more than I can ever remember, personally.

As a group, the 50 governors have more direct effect on Americans' lives than the president.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, this is where they tell us we need to run much more moderate candidates so they can still vote for the Democratic nominee; this doesn't apply to Tim, who hates every principle of the conservative platforms, while loving the principles and participants on the left, yet he votes Republican -
I do love a lot of the principles and participants on the left, but not usually when it comes to economics. I also have a real problem with recent progressive attitudes about moral equivalence, especially when it comes to Israel (which I am not ashamed to admit interests me greatly.)

But put aside my personal beliefs. Put aside the issue of which party will succeed or fail in the years to come. If the Tea Party movement were simply bad for the Republican party, that would be one thing. But it is my firm conviction that the Tea Party movement is bad for the country. I think that the weakening of moderates in either party is bad for the country. That's why I fight against them so hard.

Not really. Just pointing out how ironic it is that liberals know how to fix the GOP.

That would be like me saying, "Gee. The Democratic Party would be more viable if they just put up more republicans for office.". And then actually try to convince others that my opinion is not self-serving, but because I really care about the Democratic Party.

As a group, the 50 governors have more direct effect on Americans' lives than the president.
I don't know the answer to this question, but what percentage of the population has a governor from each party? Doesn't seem like "60% of states" is a very useful metric. In theory, Republicans could have the governors of the 30 smallest states, which probably contain like 25% of the country's population or less. In reality I realize it's more split (Republicans have Texas and Florida and some other sizable states).

Not really. Just pointing out how ironic it is that liberals know how to fix the GOP.

That would be like me saying, "Gee. The Democratic Party would be more viable if they just put up more republicans for office.".
Is it 2005?

... And then actually trying to convince others that my opinion is not self-serving, but because I really care about the Democratic Party.
So are you saying that the Democratic party doing exactly that back fired on you?

That would be like me saying, "Gee. The Democratic Party would be more viable if they just put up more republicans for office.". And then actually trying to convince others that my opinion is not self-serving, but because I really care about the Democratic Party.
Your defensiveness of your own partisanship causes you to attribute it to everyone else. You are so partisan you can't accept others are not or may not be. This is odd.

Amusing... but odd.

An amazing inability relate.

That would be like me saying, "Gee. The Democratic Party would be more viable if they just put up more republicans for office.". And then actually trying to convince others that my opinion is not self-serving, but because I really care about the Democratic Party.
Your defensiveness of your own partisanship causes you to attribute it to everyone else. You are so partisan you can't accept others are not or may not be. This is odd.

Amusing... but odd.

An amazing inability relate.
:lol:

You're so full of yourself you actually think you know me and you don't? Is that what you're trying to say?

Just keep doing-what-you're-doing Tea Baggers and GOP.

You guys have this stuff "nailed".
I don't know the answer to this question, but what percentage of the population has a governor from each party? Doesn't seem like "60% of states" is a very useful metric. In theory, Republicans could have the governors of the 30 smallest states, which probably contain like 25% of the country's population or less. In reality I realize it's more split (Republicans have Texas and Florida and some other sizable states).
This is not quite the same thing, but it's the quickest thing I could find without doing the math myself.
Starting next month, Americans in 25 states will have Republican governors and Republicans in control of both houses of the state legislatures. They aren't all small states, either. They include about 53 percent of the nation's population.

At the same time, Americans in 15 states will have Democratic governors and Democrats in control of both houses of the state legislatures. They include about 37 percent of the nation's population.

That leaves only 10 percent in states in which neither party is in control.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/11/26/states_choose_own_paths_with_one-party_governments_116238.html

Is this another thread where the resident liberals get to tell us what's good for the GOP? :lol:
Yes, this is where they tell us we need to run much more moderate candidates so they can still vote for the Democratic nominee; this doesn't apply to Tim, who hates every principle of the conservative platforms, while loving the principles and participants on the left, yet he votes Republican - :lmao:
I do love a lot of the principles and participants on the left, but not usually when it comes to economics. I also have a real problem with recent progressive attitudes about moral equivalence, especially when it comes to Israel (which I am not ashamed to admit interests me greatly.) But put aside my personal beliefs. Put aside the issue of which party will succeed or fail in the years to come. If the Tea Party movement were simply bad for the Republican party, that would be one thing. But it is my firm conviction that the Tea Party movement is bad for the country. I think that the weakening of moderates in either party is bad for the country. That's why I fight against them so hard.
I could even accept the POV, Tim, but I rarely ever hear you lash out at the Progressives; they will doom the country.

Given Obama will never run for anything ever again, the Dems will have to find a way to repeat the turnout of voters that show up to vote for Dems when he is on the ballot.

Because when Obama wasn't on the ballot in 2010, the Dems got smoked.

Given Obama will never run for anything ever again, the Dems will have to find a way to repeat the turnout of voters that show up to vote for Dems when he is on the ballot.

Because when Obama wasn't on the ballot in 2010, the Dems got smoked.
thats why they lost in 2000 and 2004. no obama.

Is this another thread where the resident liberals get to tell us what's good for the GOP? :lol:
Yes, this is where they tell us we need to run much more moderate candidates so they can still vote for the Democratic nominee; this doesn't apply to Tim, who hates every principle of the conservative platforms, while loving the principles and participants on the left, yet he votes Republican - :lmao:
I do love a lot of the principles and participants on the left, but not usually when it comes to economics. I also have a real problem with recent progressive attitudes about moral equivalence, especially when it comes to Israel (which I am not ashamed to admit interests me greatly.) But put aside my personal beliefs. Put aside the issue of which party will succeed or fail in the years to come. If the Tea Party movement were simply bad for the Republican party, that would be one thing. But it is my firm conviction that the Tea Party movement is bad for the country. I think that the weakening of moderates in either party is bad for the country. That's why I fight against them so hard.
I could even accept the POV, Tim, but I rarely ever hear you lash out at the Progressives; they will doom the country.
If the Occupy movement threatened to dominate Democratic politics, I would attack them just as much.

The irony that the Tea Party leadership is FAR more diverse in gender/color than either the Democrats or the Republicans is not lost on me. I guess if i look past some policies, i should be happy such a diverse group of Americans can come together.

Women such as Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann and Nikki Haley; hispanics such as Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz; African Americans such as Tim Scott and Allen West are all at the top of this movement with the Paul's and **** Armey's of the world.

The irony that the Tea Party leadership is FAR more diverse in gender/color than either the Democrats or the Republicans is not lost on me. I guess if i look past some policies, i should be happy such a diverse group of Americans can come together.

Women such as Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann and Nikki Haley; hispanics such as Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz; African Americans such as Tim Scott and Allen West are all at the top of this movement with the Paul's and **** Armey's of the world.
Don't kid yourself. The rank and file Tea Party membership is almost all white and old.

Don't kid yourself. The rank and file Tea Party membership is almost all white and old.
That is why I said "leadership", and part of the reason I am so surprised by it.

Link?

Link?
My Link

Link?
My Link
ooooh....that's a good one. However, white and old was the accusation. I fit only the first.

Link?
http://www.gallup.com/poll/127181/Tea-Partiers-Fairly-Mainstream-Demographics.aspx

79% white non-Hispanic

84% over 30

50% over 50

Link?
http://www.gallup.com/poll/127181/Tea-Partiers-Fairly-Mainstream-Demographics.aspx79% white non-Hispanic

84% over 30

50% over 50
In several other respects, however -- their age, educational background, employment status, and race -- Tea Partiers are quite representative of the public at large.
You serious Clark?

Link?
http://www.gallup.com/poll/127181/Tea-Partiers-Fairly-Mainstream-Demographics.aspx79% white non-Hispanic

84% over 30

50% over 50
>In several other respects, however -- their age, educational background, employment status, and race -- Tea Partiers are quite representative of the public at large.
You serious Clark?
The public at large is mostly white.

The public at large is mostly old.

Link?

84% over 30

50% over 50
>In several other respects, however -- their age, educational background, employment status, and race -- Tea Partiers are quite representative of the public at large.
You serious Clark?
The public at large is mostly white.The public at large is mostly old.
So, even though it's almost a perfect match to the general public, you dismiss them as just old and white.

It only seems more diverse because there are so few national leaders to begin with.

By the way I agree with the Tea Partiers when it comes to the White House. The GOP would be better off from strictly a winning and losing perspective if they stopped nominating "electable" and started nominating "crazy".

Epic fail on this one Tim. Why don't you just admit that the Tea-Party, is really no different from any other party; you just don't care for their message of smaller government.

By the way I agree with the Tea Partiers when it comes to the White House. The GOP would be better off from strictly a winning and losing perspective if they stopped nominating "electable" and started nominating "crazy".
There has always been a view in the Conservative party of giving a distinct view between the candidates; trying to run Republican/Democrat Lite has not been working.

Epic fail on this one Tim. Why don't you just admit that the Tea-Party, is really no different from any other party; you just don't care for their message of smaller government.
Are you of the opinion that the Tea Party isn't really having an effect on the GOP and that the way things are going for the GOP are the way they want them to go?

The Tea Party is extremist and populist, and what I don't like is their simplistic and nonsensical solutions for their professed goal of smaller government. The goal itself is admirable, though somewhat ill defined. In what way have I epically failed?

Are you of the opinion that the Tea Party isn't really having an effect on the GOP and that the way things are going for the GOP are the way they want them to go?
I am under the opinion the the Tea-Party is closer to what the GOP needs to get back to, rather than being a watered down version of the Democrat's candidate.

I am under the opinion the the Tea-Party is closer to what the GOP needs to get back to, rather than being a watered down version of the Democrat's candidate.
Get back to?? When was the GOP ever as extreme as the Tea Party is now? Keep in mind....I started voting just 20 years ago and had zero interest in politics as a kid.

Get back to?? When was the GOP ever as extreme as the Tea Party is now? Keep in mind....I started voting just 20 years ago and had zero interest in politics as a kid.
Extreme is rather funny word to use; to me they espouse the basis of the Conservative Party's platform.

Not really. Just pointing out how ironic it is that liberals know how to fix the GOP. That would be like me saying, "Gee. The Democratic Party would be more viable if they just put up more republicans for office.". And then actually trying to convince others that my opinion is not self-serving, but because I really care about the Democratic Party.
Your defensiveness of your own partisanship causes you to attribute it to everyone else. You are so partisan you can't accept others are not or may not be. This is odd. Amusing... but odd. An amazing inability relate.
I don't know about other threads, but I'm not getting a defensive vibe from his posts at all here. He seems to have a differing opinion and makes a good point about one party giving advice to the other party, when they don't really want the other party to be successful. It's cyclical. In 04 the D's were in trouble. In 12 the R's are. Pretty sure this will continue to rotate as the party in charge wears out its welcome.

Extreme is rather funny word to use; to me they espouse the basis of the Conservative Party's platform.
Use whatever word you want What I see in the Tea Party today, I don't remember ever seeing in the GOP back to the days of Reagan. I'm asking when the GOP was ever like the current Tea Party. Are we talking about the 50s or 60s?? 70s? When?

Users who are viewing this thread