What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things that you have won. Auction, raffle, lotto, etc. (1 Viewer)

At a Beef and beer my wife and I went to the 'big' raffle prize was a 'Big Green Egg grill'. Retail was about 1k, so we figured, what the heck, we'll throw a ticket in. Long story short, we won and didn't really want to lug this almost 200 pound thing back to the house. Guy offered us $800 cash, so we took it.
What the hell is a beef and beer?

About 20 years ago I split a 12 pack of Molson Ice with a buddy while watching a Red Wings game. Inside was a piece of paper stating we won Wings tickets. Had to have his brother claim the tickets as we were not "eligible". 2nd row from the top of the arena vs. The Oilers, but still cool for broke youngsters.

At a Beef and beer my wife and I went to the 'big' raffle prize was a 'Big Green Egg grill'. Retail was about 1k, so we figured, what the heck, we'll throw a ticket in. Long story short, we won and didn't really want to lug this almost 200 pound thing back to the house. Guy offered us $800 cash, so we took it.
Seriously, you never heard of a Beef and Beer event?

When a local charity/school/sports program wants to make some cash for their organization they throw a 'Beef and Beer'. A local venue will donate some space for the event and the organizer will see what else he can get donated for the cause. Usually it isn't hard to get a bunch of local businesses to sponsor food, door prizes, raffle items, etc. The organization makes money off the ticket sales (usually $30 per person), 50/50 raffles, prize raffles and what-not.

In my case, it was for my son's baseball league. Probably had 250 people and, IIRC, the league president said they made just short of 10k when all was said and done.

I won a $100 gift certificate at a baseball card convention when I was in grade school.

I won $100 on a $1 scratch ticket 10 years ago.

That's about it.

Woman I know won one of those $1000 a week for life scratch tickets, TWICE.

Seriously, you never heard of a Beef and Beer event?When a local charity/school/sports program wants to make some cash for their organization they throw a 'Beef and Beer'. A local venue will donate some space for the event and the organizer will see what else he can get donated for the cause. Usually it isn't hard to get a bunch of local businesses to sponsor food, door prizes, raffle items, etc. The organization makes money off the ticket sales (usually $30 per person), 50/50 raffles, prize raffles and what-not.

In my case, it was for my son's baseball league. Probably had 250 people and, IIRC, the league president said they made just short of 10k when all was said and done.
Where's the beef (& beer)?

Seriously, you never heard of a Beef and Beer event?When a local charity/school/sports program wants to make some cash for their organization they throw a 'Beef and Beer'. A local venue will donate some space for the event and the organizer will see what else he can get donated for the cause. Usually it isn't hard to get a bunch of local businesses to sponsor food, door prizes, raffle items, etc. The organization makes money off the ticket sales (usually $30 per person), 50/50 raffles, prize raffles and what-not.

Are you Canadian?

Are you Canadian?
I'm Canadian and have never heard of this.

Of course, they have "Stag and Does" in SW Ontario which draws the ire of my friends in Quebec.

Highest value for me would have been a scratch off for $100 when I was in my early 20's. Danced around the gas station like I won a million. :lol:

Are you Canadian?
Nope, live in Delaware. They're pretty common around here. My daughter's school is doing one next month for some music program starting next school year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife won 6000.00 at Bingo 6 months before our wedding.....that was 19 years ago.

I won the very very first poker tournament I ever entered online, via FBG. It was at Noble poker, and took down 1250.00. Sadly, that is the biggest score of my poker career.

Oh...and Fkin Chet, not "needing" a Mercedes SUV

I was the 106th caller on a radio morning show when I was in 6th grade. I got to go to the station and pick out an album. I got License to Ill on vinyl.

I was the 106th caller on a radio morning show when I was in 6th grade. I got to go to the station and pick out an album. I got License to Ill on vinyl.
I was the X caller to a late night radio program and won tickets to the Brand New Heavy's first ever US show (in NYC). one of the better shows I've seen.

I've also won a bunch of random gift cards at work events (put your business card in teh bowl kind of thing).

Master of Puppets album in some metal magazine...I think first place metallica played in your garage.

Someone I work with won a couple hundred thousand in the lottery not that long ago

I won my daughter an ipod back about 12-13yrs ago,

We were going through some rough times and the ipod was all the rage. Her being so into music broke my heart that we couldn't afford one.

I got lucky enough to attend my works insurance golf outing and they had a putting contest for an ipod. I sunk a 72 foot curving, rolling downhill putt that took a 45 degree turn at the the last 5 feet. Luckiest day of my life. No one else got within 10ft, and I sunk that *******.

I was so freaking happy, I didn't even stick around for the dinner. To see that look on her face was the best thing, and brought me to tears.
That's an awesome story.

A shotgun and a few random raffle prize lots at benefit auctions was all I ever won until about a year ago.

I first won a tailgating spot at a local college football game back in the fall. A few months later, a local radio station was giving away a concert ticket package. To qualify for the big drawing, you had to be a certain number caller when they played a song by a particular artist. I get in my truck to go to lunch and said artist's song has just started. I called in and the DJ answered and said I had qualified for the big drawing on that Friday (and won free lunch too). Fast forward to Friday, and I'm driving to work listening for the big drawing winner. The DJ says let's try to call the winner and see if we can get them on the line. I hear him dial the number and then it starts ringing. Then my cell starts ringing. I won 4 tickets to a 3-day concert festival weekend. That concert event was a few weeks ago, and my kids and I had a blast. After all those wins, I kinda felt like my luck has changed and I expect to win stuff now :lol:

Nice! Lotsa people with good luck around here! :thumbup:

The dudes that won the luxury vehicles are winning this thread so far.

Are you Canadian?
I'm Canadian and have never heard of this.

Of course, they have "Stag and Does" in SW Ontario which draws the ire of my friends in Quebec.
Socials in Manitoba. Jack and Jills in Ontario/Saskatchewan.

Actually, now that I've read through the thread, draining a 72 foot putt to win an iPod for your daughter takes the lead. :thumbup:

We were going through some rough times and the ipod was all the rage. Her being so into music broke my heart that we couldn't afford one.

I got lucky enough to attend my works insurance golf outing and they had a putting contest for an ipod. I sunk a 72 foot curving, rolling downhill putt that took a 45 degree turn at the the last 5 feet. Luckiest day of my life. No one else got within 10ft, and I sunk that *******.

I was so freaking happy, I didn't even stick around for the dinner. To see that look on her face was the best thing, and brought me to tears.
That's an awesome story.
Thanks Ham, your comment made me tear up again, but not because of my story, but because of what you and your family went through and are still going through.

Always thinking of you and bb.

That's an awesome story.
Thanks Ham, your comment made me tear up again, but not because of my story, but because of what you and your family went through and are still going through.Always thinking of you and bb.
Thanks, friend. Anyone whose mind shifts more or less instantly from "holy ####, look what I just did!" to "OMG look how happy I can make my kid!!!!!" is okay in my book.

Nothing big for me. My aunt and uncle do alot of low stakes gambling, bingo and the like, and have won a few hundred a few times. Their big prize though was winning the Minnesota Gopher 5 lottery. I think they took home around $90k after taxes give or take.

Most exciting was when I was a kid. Maybe 8 or 10? Around the age when I could ride my bike up to the candy store with my buddies unsupervised. Bought some Bazooka gum for 5 cents and hit the jackpot: two free giant boxes of bazooka gum. I couldn't believe it until they actually showed up at my door.

Larry Lujack read my letter on "Clunk Letter of the Day" when I was in 7th grade.

Of course, that was skill, not luck.

Won a 3-point shooting tournament at halftime of the Oregon basketball games my senior year in college. A rack of balls refilled by cheerleaders, 45 seconds, head to head against someone at the other hoop in front of 10,000+ people. I had to win 4 times to take the whole thing, with the prize being air and hotel for 4 days in Puerto Vallarta. Pretty sweet for a broke college kid, and fun to be recognized on campus on occasion as "that 3-point guy".

biggest personal win was several thousand dollars at my kid's school fundraiser from a 50/50 ticket. used the cash to take kids to disney.

biggest family win growing up was we hit an instant winner for the orange properties in the McDonald's Monopoly game. that was a couple grand shopping spree. it was from my brother's milkshake, but my dad argued he bought it so his. ah, love family. anyway, my bro got something cool and my dad spent the rest on tv/sound system. pretty sure it was the 1st run of the monopoly game a few decades ago.

most recent win was my wife won an iPad mini at a charity event. happened about a month ago.

biggest personal win was several thousand dollars at my kid's school fundraiser from a 50/50 ticket. used the cash to take kids to disney.
My mom won ~$18k after taxes on a slot machine. Used the majority of the proceeds to take the whole family (20 of us) to Disney World. :thumbup:

I hit a straight flush at 3 card poker at the Golden Nugget which got me a free entry into a $400 3 card poker tourney, which I won for $25k.

I won tickets to the Pee Wee Herman Experience on the radio.

I won a Battlestar Galactica trivia contest and won a boxed set of all Battlestar Galactica DVDs.

I hit a straight flush at 3 card poker at the Golden Nugget which got me a free entry into a $400 3 card poker tourney, which I won for $25k.

I won tickets to the Pee Wee Herman Experience on the radio.

I won a Battlestar Galactica trivia contest and won a boxed set of all Battlestar Galactica DVDs.
This is my go to pick up line. :thumbup:

Not much, all I can think of is was the time I correctly identified the band name of a new song a radio station played (Filter).... won their CD.

I did hit a 10-game college hoops parlay once but was betting on my boss/buddy's account (of which I got to take 20% of at the end of the season).

Edit: this board has something against me double spacing.... :(

Re-edit: Oh wait, I got like 4th place in a contest on ESPN.com back in the early 00's.... where you pick all of the NBA playoffs, winners/# of games per series... I think I picked all the winners and was off by 2 games in terms of # of games. Won one of those orange Gatorade barrel cooler things stuffed full of Gatorade, t-shirts, squeeze bottles, etc.

20 tickets to my employer's suite at a minor league baseball game a few years back. Invited a bunch of friends. Some free (non-alcoholic) drinks and food. That was cool. Also a pair of tickets to the same employer's suite at a Buffalo Sabres game, where I think they scored like 7 goals.

A couple years ago at a Chinese auction for St. Baldrick's won a $1,000 gift certificate for Lasik surgery I bid on for $275. Still not sure if I can even get that procedure since my eyes are terrible, but I'm selling it for $300 to a friend who's getting it done later this month. I don't feel bad for making $25 on that. He's saving $700.

When I was about 8 years old we were at the local theme park and there was this dice game where you can put quarters on a certain month or color. I was with my grandma whom I told I wanted to play. She gave me $2 and I put all 8 quarters on January (my birth month). She explained that I could spread them out and improve my chances of winning. I told her I was good with January. Won a gigantic 6 ft tall Teddy Bear, super psyched.

A Wedding.

Local Long Island radio contest hooked up with the FL tourism board and was giving away a beach wedding in FL. Rings, Tuxes/Dresses, Fly family and wedding party down, reception and FL honeymoon all included. My mother entered my GF and I as a joke.

Flash forward 2 weeks and they call us to say we a re finalists and to come pick up our gift pack. OK, odd...so we go pick it up and its a huge beach bag stuffed with a bunch of FL beach towels, hats, shirts, yada-yada. There could not be more the 3 of these in the cabinet they pulled this out of.

That as Wednesday, drawing was to be on Friday. Me, GF, parents all talk it over. We are still in college, folks offer to build an apartment on the house for us, etc. Overall we decide to take our names out. I try calling to withdraw but at the same time the radio show is calling me to record the reaction to us winning this thing to be played the next morning.

So they get me...cheer, interview me, make some cheese radio morning show jokes and all along I think I'm live so I'm playing along...while ####ting my pants.

Once they say they were clear, I admitted that I was trying to back out and we didn't really want this. They said no biggie and went on to the 2nd place couple.

I call my GF and tell her that we won..."she's like "we won? we what? won? How, what?" So I calm her down and tell her that I turned it down. She was like "Oh, ok cool...yea we discussed it, turn it down...WAIT..what do you mean you TURNED IT DOWN!!!!" Unreal.

Anyway, I ended up marrying her a few years later, and I guess the real loser in it all was her father who could have had 1 daughter married off scott free. Sorry pops!!

A Wedding.

Local Long Island radio contest hooked up with the FL tourism board and was giving away a beach wedding in FL. Rings, Tuxes/Dresses, Fly family and wedding party down, reception and FL honeymoon all included. My mother entered my GF and I as a joke.

Flash forward 2 weeks and they call us to say we a re finalists and to come pick up our gift pack. OK, odd...so we go pick it up and its a huge beach bag stuffed with a bunch of FL beach towels, hats, shirts, yada-yada. There could not be more the 3 of these in the cabinet they pulled this out of.

That as Wednesday, drawing was to be on Friday. Me, GF, parents all talk it over. We are still in college, folks offer to build an apartment on the house for us, etc. Overall we decide to take our names out. I try calling to withdraw but at the same time the radio show is calling me to record the reaction to us winning this thing to be played the next morning.

So they get me...cheer, interview me, make some cheese radio morning show jokes and all along I think I'm live so I'm playing along...while ####ting my pants.

Once they say they were clear, I admitted that I was trying to back out and we didn't really want this. They said no biggie and went on to the 2nd place couple.

I call my GF and tell her that we won..."she's like "we won? we what? won? How, what?" So I calm her down and tell her that I turned it down. She was like "Oh, ok cool...yea we discussed it, turn it down...WAIT..what do you mean you TURNED IT DOWN!!!!" Unreal.

Anyway, I ended up marrying her a few years later, and I guess the real loser in it all was her father who could have had 1 daughter married off scott free. Sorry pops!!
Damn. Could you have faked the wedding and had a nice party?

Users who are viewing this thread