What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

This class sure looks weak (1 Viewer)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
Going from the mocks, it looks like this fantasy draft class is going to be weak. It looks like a defensive draft with some offensive line talent. But there is no consensus top 5 skill player, maybe not even a guy in the top 15. Is Eifert the best one? Because that's pretty sad. I'm seeing quarterbacks like Geno Smith ranked as about the 25+ best player. Nobody know who is the top WR...Patterson sounds like he may be too dimwitted to excel, Tavon Austin is about as big as Michael J Fox, Hopkins is the next Najeh apparently. Lacy is a faster Shonn Greene,

Is there a player in this draft even worthy of drafting on a competing dynasty team? To be honest I'd rather have David Wilson or Lamar Miller than any of these running backs. Is there even a QB with Christian Ponder like ability? Let along Tannhill or Wilson? These wideouts seems like a bunch of also-ran's.

Is it all doom and gloom or is there some potential here. I am considering dumping the #1 overall pick for an unknown first rounder next year and a second rounder. I think this might be the season to throw a lot of #### at the wall and see if anything sticks, because it seems like there isn't much here. Now I'd assume somebody will be good...but figuring out who is proving especially difficult.

If you like them late, do you really like them at all? You know what I mean? I think multiple middle picks would be ideal, but you are going to clog up your roster with crappy players in hopes of finding a gem.

I traded 1.01 away for 1.08, 1.09 and 1.11 this year.

So, I'll be drafting at 1.04, and 1.06 thru 1.12 (rebuild team).

I agree that there is talent, but higher than usual bust risk with the top prospects.

Seems to me many concur that the value is in the mid 1st into the mid 2nd round.

Going from the mocks, it looks like this fantasy draft class is going to be weak. It looks like a defensive draft with some offensive line talent. But there is no consensus top 5 skill player, maybe not even a guy in the top 15. Is Eifert the best one? Because that's pretty sad. I'm seeing quarterbacks like Geno Smith ranked as about the 25+ best player. Nobody know who is the top WR...Patterson sounds like he may be too dimwitted to excel, Tavon Austin is about as big as Michael J Fox, Hopkins is the next Najeh apparently. Lacy is a faster Shonn Greene,

Is there a player in this draft even worthy of drafting on a competing dynasty team? To be honest I'd rather have David Wilson or Lamar Miller than any of these running backs. Is there even a QB with Christian Ponder like ability? Let along Tannhill or Wilson? These wideouts seems like a bunch of also-ran's.

Is it all doom and gloom or is there some potential here. I am considering dumping the #1 overall pick for an unknown first rounder next year and a second rounder. I think this might be the season to throw a lot of #### at the wall and see if anything sticks, because it seems like there isn't much here. Now I'd assume somebody will be good...but figuring out who is proving especially difficult.
I think you're jumping the gun with a post like this (considering the draft is 2 days away). There's plenty of talented skill position players that can and likely will have an impact.

The dynasty roster worthy players in my eyes (even without knowing the situation they'll end up in):

Hunter, Allen, Austin, Patterson, Hopkins, Rogers, Patton

Lacy, Franklin, Lattimore, Ball, Bell, Michael, Bernard, Stacy

Eifert, Kelce, Ertz, Escobar

The only position I don't really value at all would be QB, but there will be QB's drafted who will have a chance to compete immediately.

Shoot for the moon types seem to be EJ Manuel, Cordarelle Patterson, and Jonathan Franklin. But they could easily be Kyle Boller, Devin Hester, and Leshon Johnson respectively. I don't like any as a top pick.

Injuries have taken the shine off many of these prospects that they would have otherwise. Hunter may just be getting back completely to form from his knee injury.

Every draft has risk, we've never seen any of these guys play a down in the NFL. But IMO, you have to hold onto your 1st's until we see where these guys end up. The value of the picks will only go up once we know where they land.

Some of these prospect that go later are gonna be great picks, just not #1 overall. Yes the #1 pick this year is pretty meh but that might change after the weekend.

You don't compete in one of these leagues where they start drafting before the draft is even over do you?

Last edited by a moderator:

There is the problem. Some of the most talented players are not being touted by the media. Because of this smart NFL teams will have a field day with this draft. To me, this is a good thing.Back during bowl season I noticed all of the top QB's in the draft were sketchy after doing my best evaluation. I can find RB/WR all throughout the year, so that told me I need to take different action to improve the bad dynasty team I took over. I literally said #### it and traded a top 2 pick this year for a late 1st and two 2nds this year to a real contender. My leaguemates talked a lot of trash, being a new owner didn’t help, but I can guarantee that the three players I take will be as talented or better gambles than his one pick at a much cheaper price. After the draft situation will become clearer. Sometimes situation trumps talent, in the short-term, so I wouldn’t completely freakout if I held 1.1 this year. Something like Lacy to the Rams or Geno to the Jags could change your thinking in a heartbeat. Even if you’re forced to make the pick you’ll have a tradable asset for a few years at the worse.

There are a lot of very interesting WR prospects. Nobody of a caliber of the usual top-tier prospects, but there might be a dozen+ guys who would be worthy of the #6 overall ranking in most years. It's a terrible year to own early firsts, but not a bad year at all to own late firsts or early seconds.

There are a lot of very interesting WR prospects. Nobody of a caliber of the usual top-tier prospects, but there might be a dozen+ guys who would be worthy of the #6 overall ranking in most years. It's a terrible year to own early firsts, but not a bad year at all to own late firsts or early seconds.
Great year to own picks in the 8-18 range. May even be some good value in the 20-30 range depending on who falls.

Deep WR class. Only one can't-miss TE, but several guys who could go 2nd-3rd round.

Not THAT bad of a draft. Just really thin in terms of first round caliber QB and RB.

Blue chip talent at OT, OG, OLB, and DT.

Strong depth at S and WR.

The fantasy prospects of this class may be a little limited only due to the lack of truly elite talent at RB/WR, but I think there are more draftable players with a likelihood to be productive FF contributors this year than last year.

I don't think it's a "weak" class at all.

Now this is the type of guy I need to find in my dynasty leagues. Crazy talk. No. You probably won't have a 1200 yard back or a 1k/10TD WR this year. But in 2-3 years, this class should blossom quite nicely. Guys like Lacy/Bernard should be solid to good pro's. There are about 12 WR's I like, only 4-5 I see as true #1 potential. I know. Its sad there isn't a sure-fire thing this year to make it easier on everyone. But for us guys that do our research heavily, its a great year b/c the lazy guys (not you, necessarily) will draft, well, lazily and the gems like Givens/Hilton who fell to me in the 3rd round last year will happen again this year. Cool.

Agreed with most here. I think it's somewhat deep in 'good' talent at RB and especially at WR. Not top heavy with any "can't miss" prospects and a definite lack of top tier QBs.

Overall, I don't think this is a horrible draft for teams with multiple mid 1sts to mid 2nds looking to rebuild. Maybe not much for immediate help, but that should help some teams finish low and pick early in what looks like a much more elite talent class in 2014.

The only problem with this draft class is that it is "media-weak". They haven't had a Stafford, Luck, Newton, type to talk up and serve with a side dish of TRICH.

But there are players coming in to the league this year that will absolutely mold the shape of NFL teams going forward. THe problem is they happen to be in the non-glory positions.

Its been said in fantasy circles for almost two years that this was going to be a terrible rookie draft year. I think we have created the news instead of just observing it. We have talked about it so much that we have talked the world into it.

But in every draft there are players that no one thought would be an impact (real life or fantasy) and they make up the foundations of great teams later. Why did we draft Hernandez and Gronk in the 3rd rounds of rookie drafts? Russell Wilson in the 4th and 5th? Jennings and Marshall in the late 2nds and 3rd? Didn't every league have Foster, Brady, Romo, Welker, and 50 other guys on waivers?

I think the issue in this draft is we can't look into a room of classic cars and see the Shelby Cobra that Kate Upton is sitting in. Instead we just all see a lot of new cars. Well, that might be a BMW car lot we are looking at at some of those cars might be 6-series and M3s. But just because none stand out from the pack doesn not mean that many are not above average.

We are frustrated because we can't seem to find that concensus gem to put on top and find a logical flow; to the point we are ignoring that there might be a lot to choose from.

Personally, I think this is a great year to invest a lot of picks into the draft because A)they are coming cheap because no one thinks they are worth much and B)since no one really knows where the diamonds are, you have a better chance of having one fall into your lap. In a pervious year, you probably couldn't get a guy that turns out to be Matt Forte fall to you at 1.11. This year, you might find him at 2.07.

I guarantee you that come Monday, there will be some players who fall into VERY intriguing situations and the value will be on the upswing. You might not think so today, but what if it just happens to fall that a guy like Jonathan Franklin goes to Green Bay or Denver or the Patriots draft Tavon Austin or Justin Hunter. What will people be saying Monday if the Colts suddenly have Hopkins or the Jags grab Geno Smith? I bet there will be some people who will suddenly wake up and say "Man, Geno with MJD and Blackmon and Shorts...I can see some possibilities here."

The only problem with this draft class is that it is "media-weak". They haven't had a Stafford, Luck, Newton, type to talk up and serve with a side dish of TRICH.

But there are players coming in to the league this year that will absolutely mold the shape of NFL teams going forward. THe problem is they happen to be in the non-glory positions.

Its been said in fantasy circles for almost two years that this was going to be a terrible rookie draft year. I think we have created the news instead of just observing it. We have talked about it so much that we have talked the world into it.

But in every draft there are players that no one thought would be an impact (real life or fantasy) and they make up the foundations of great teams later. Why did we draft Hernandez and Gronk in the 3rd rounds of rookie drafts? Russell Wilson in the 4th and 5th? Jennings and Marshall in the late 2nds and 3rd? Didn't every league have Foster, Brady, Romo, Welker, and 50 other guys on waivers?

I think the issue in this draft is we can't look into a room of classic cars and see the Shelby Cobra that Kate Upton is sitting in. Instead we just all see a lot of new cars. Well, that might be a BMW car lot we are looking at at some of those cars might be 6-series and M3s. But just because none stand out from the pack doesn not mean that many are not above average.

We are frustrated because we can't seem to find that concensus gem to put on top and find a logical flow; to the point we are ignoring that there might be a lot to choose from.

Personally, I think this is a great year to invest a lot of picks into the draft because A)they are coming cheap because no one thinks they are worth much and B)since no one really knows where the diamonds are, you have a better chance of having one fall into your lap. In a pervious year, you probably couldn't get a guy that turns out to be Matt Forte fall to you at 1.11. This year, you might find him at 2.07.

I guarantee you that come Monday, there will be some players who fall into VERY intriguing situations and the value will be on the upswing. You might not think so today, but what if it just happens to fall that a guy like Jonathan Franklin goes to Green Bay or Denver or the Patriots draft Tavon Austin or Justin Hunter. What will people be saying Monday if the Colts suddenly have Hopkins or the Jags grab Geno Smith? I bet there will be some people who will suddenly wake up and say "Man, Geno with MJD and Blackmon and Shorts...I can see some possibilities here."
:goodposting:

Blue chip talent at OT, OG, OLB, and DT. Strong depth at S and WR. The fantasy prospects of this class may be a little limited only due to the lack of truly elite talent at RB/WR, but I think there are more draftable players with a likelihood to be productive FF contributors this year than last year. I don't think it's a "weak" class at all.
Agree with this breakdown. For fantasy it stinks at QB, RB and ILB/MLB. Those are the premiere positions. Lattimore if he ever recovers fully could be a stud.

The only problem with this draft class is that it is "media-weak". They haven't had a Stafford, Luck, Newton, type to talk up and serve with a side dish of TRICH. But there are players coming in to the league this year that will absolutely mold the shape of NFL teams going forward. THe problem is they happen to be in the non-glory positions. Its been said in fantasy circles for almost two years that this was going to be a terrible rookie draft year. I think we have created the news instead of just observing it. We have talked about it so much that we have talked the world into it. But in every draft there are players that no one thought would be an impact (real life or fantasy) and they make up the foundations of great teams later. Why did we draft Hernandez and Gronk in the 3rd rounds of rookie drafts? Russell Wilson in the 4th and 5th? Jennings and Marshall in the late 2nds and 3rd? Didn't every league have Foster, Brady, Romo, Welker, and 50 other guys on waivers? I think the issue in this draft is we can't look into a room of classic cars and see the Shelby Cobra that Kate Upton is sitting in. Instead we just all see a lot of new cars. Well, that might be a BMW car lot we are looking at at some of those cars might be 6-series and M3s. But just because none stand out from the pack doesn not mean that many are not above average. We are frustrated because we can't seem to find that concensus gem to put on top and find a logical flow; to the point we are ignoring that there might be a lot to choose from. Personally, I think this is a great year to invest a lot of picks into the draft because A)they are coming cheap because no one thinks they are worth much and B)since no one really knows where the diamonds are, you have a better chance of having one fall into your lap. In a pervious year, you probably couldn't get a guy that turns out to be Matt Forte fall to you at 1.11. This year, you might find him at 2.07. I guarantee you that come Monday, there will be some players who fall into VERY intriguing situations and the value will be on the upswing. You might not think so today, but what if it just happens to fall that a guy like Jonathan Franklin goes to Green Bay or Denver or the Patriots draft Tavon Austin or Justin Hunter. What will people be saying Monday if the Colts suddenly have Hopkins or the Jags grab Geno Smith? I bet there will be some people who will suddenly wake up and say "Man, Geno with MJD and Blackmon and Shorts...I can see some possibilities here."
I disagree. Lacy, Franklin, etc; can go to any of the 32 teams and I wouldn't be very excited. Same goes for any QB or WR. The first 5 picks in last year rookie drafts look better than any player at any position on any team in this class.

I disagree. Lacy, Franklin, etc; can go to any of the 32 teams and I wouldn't be very excited. Same goes for any QB or WR. The first 5 picks in last year rookie drafts look better than any player at any position on any team in this class.
I agree, but that says more about last year than this year. Two QBs went top 5 in just about every dynasty rookie draft. That has never happened in the years that I have been playing. I don't remember a year in which is was common for a single QB to go top 5 with any regularity. Then, of course, Trent was a "once in X" prospect at RB who often went in the first round of start ups last year.

Not many classes are going to compare to last season, at this point in the process.

The only problem with this draft class is that it is "media-weak". They haven't had a Stafford, Luck, Newton, type to talk up and serve with a side dish of TRICH. But there are players coming in to the league this year that will absolutely mold the shape of NFL teams going forward. THe problem is they happen to be in the non-glory positions. Its been said in fantasy circles for almost two years that this was going to be a terrible rookie draft year. I think we have created the news instead of just observing it. We have talked about it so much that we have talked the world into it. But in every draft there are players that no one thought would be an impact (real life or fantasy) and they make up the foundations of great teams later. Why did we draft Hernandez and Gronk in the 3rd rounds of rookie drafts? Russell Wilson in the 4th and 5th? Jennings and Marshall in the late 2nds and 3rd? Didn't every league have Foster, Brady, Romo, Welker, and 50 other guys on waivers? I think the issue in this draft is we can't look into a room of classic cars and see the Shelby Cobra that Kate Upton is sitting in. Instead we just all see a lot of new cars. Well, that might be a BMW car lot we are looking at at some of those cars might be 6-series and M3s. But just because none stand out from the pack doesn not mean that many are not above average. We are frustrated because we can't seem to find that concensus gem to put on top and find a logical flow; to the point we are ignoring that there might be a lot to choose from. Personally, I think this is a great year to invest a lot of picks into the draft because A)they are coming cheap because no one thinks they are worth much and B)since no one really knows where the diamonds are, you have a better chance of having one fall into your lap. In a pervious year, you probably couldn't get a guy that turns out to be Matt Forte fall to you at 1.11. This year, you might find him at 2.07. I guarantee you that come Monday, there will be some players who fall into VERY intriguing situations and the value will be on the upswing. You might not think so today, but what if it just happens to fall that a guy like Jonathan Franklin goes to Green Bay or Denver or the Patriots draft Tavon Austin or Justin Hunter. What will people be saying Monday if the Colts suddenly have Hopkins or the Jags grab Geno Smith? I bet there will be some people who will suddenly wake up and say "Man, Geno with MJD and Blackmon and Shorts...I can see some possibilities here."
We knew this coming into this draft, Chachi. There is plenty of value to be found and if you're going to just ignore this class because the last class was better you'll be missing out.

Seems to me this class is good if you're in a relatively deep-roster dynasty league, where you can carry players and hope they develop. But for those of us in shallower (20-24 roster spot) leagues, it's going to be hard to carry some of question-mark talents in this draft for too long. They will get bumped early in the season as other waiver-wire players get grabbed.

Blue chip talent at OT, OG, OLB, and DT. Strong depth at S and WR. The fantasy prospects of this class may be a little limited only due to the lack of truly elite talent at RB/WR, but I think there are more draftable players with a likelihood to be productive FF contributors this year than last year. I don't think it's a "weak" class at all.
I don't play in any leagues that draft idp. Or linemen.

I don't see how you can be so high on 10 we'd. That tells me none have seperatwd themselves from the pack. Which by extension means they are somewhat mediocre. If they are truly good players, why can't the cream rise?

We knew this coming into this draft, Chachi. There is plenty of value to be found and if you're going to just ignore this class because the last class was better you'll be missing out.
It goes to the entire point of the thread which is this class looks weak. It also looks weak compared to 2010, 2009...... I can't recall such a weak draft for fantasy.

It goes to the entire point of the thread which is this class looks weak. It also looks weak compared to 2010, 2009...... I can't recall such a weak draft for fantasy.
Hindsight is 20/20 though, I think once we know what situations the class ends up in there could be some great value and great opportunities. I completely agree it appears weak now, but I don't think it's the time to be drawing conclusions. There are alot of teams with needs at WR, RB, and even QB. Lets see what it looks like post draft is all I'm suggesting.

ETA: Talent wise, pre draft, you're probably right. But I think post draft this class could be just fine.

Seems to me this class is good if you're in a relatively deep-roster dynasty league, where you can carry players and hope they develop. But for those of us in shallower (20-24 roster spot) leagues, it's going to be hard to carry some of question-mark talents in this draft for too long. They will get bumped early in the season as other waiver-wire players get grabbed.
This is very true. I had 12 picks or so in our rookie draft that finished last week in a 14 team league with 28 roster spots (offense only) as well as a 3 man taxi squad. We also have unlimited rosters in the offseason until after the third week of preseason, when we cut down. Drafting before the NFL draft and having unlimited roster spots in the offseason, we have a 7-round rookie draft. You'd be surprised how many people were trying to trade into the 6th and 7th rounds in this format as the draft was winding down, knowing that you could strike gold on a guy the NFL proves to value higher come NFL draft time. That obviously goes a bit further than you were saying, but these kinds of leagues are everywhere, and they afford owners the luxury of letting gems develop deep on their roster.

Now this is the type of guy I need to find in my dynasty leagues. Crazy talk. No. You probably won't have a 1200 yard back or a 1k/10TD WR this year. But in 2-3 years, this class should blossom quite nicely. Guys like Lacy/Bernard should be solid to good pro's. There are about 12 WR's I like, only 4-5 I see as true #1 potential. I know. Its sad there isn't a sure-fire thing this year to make it easier on everyone. But for us guys that do our research heavily, its a great year b/c the lazy guys (not you, necessarily) will draft, well, lazily and the gems like Givens/Hilton who fell to me in the 3rd round last year will happen again this year. Cool.

Deandre Hopkins is going to be a solid player. He has a great overall game and I think the pros make him a better player.

Someone will draft a Rookie RB that will find a starting gig somewhere.

Christine Michael might end up being relevant somewhere.

I was surprised to see on RW via Chris Mortensen that Ryan Griffin Tulane QB has "conducted more pre-draft workouts than any other quarterback in the draft."

I was surprised to see on RW via Chris Mortensen that Ryan Griffin Tulane QB has "conducted more pre-draft workouts than any other quarterback in the draft."
Sometimes the best prospects don't get any visits at all - teams don't want to show interest as someone may try to trade up to jump them! I read that Eifert didn't have a single pre-draft visit.

Hey, you two 'Heavy Researchers':

Be sure and post your slick rookie picks post-draft, so we can all marvel.

Counting on a good situation to generate value seems like a dicey proposition.
For real. Telling me to wait until after the draft, to see if the #1 pick gets sexier, you are telling me you agree with Sabertooth.

No one is saying there are no quality players. There are gems.

No stud RBs+No stud QB+No stud WR=Weak Fantasy Draft.

Pretty easy math.

Maybe. But doesn't something like Austin to the Rams, Lacy to the Broncos, etc. make them potential studs? Yes, situation would be part of it. But how far ahead are you planning? Three, four, or five years of a good situation + high draft pick investment by NFL team = consistent value, in the right spot.

A mid-late round RB in a great situation is a shaky long-term proposition unless he fell for non-talent reasons, or just absolutely pops on tape in the NFL. But a (hypothetically) 1st round RB who was considered a borderline stud prospect before a bad pre-draft process, in a good situation? That's the formula for an elite player.

Tell that to a previous can't miss prospect Jonathan Stewart.

I get what you're saying and I agree to an extent. It is a weak draft but not as weak as you're making it out to be.

For real. Telling me to wait until after the draft, to see if the #1 pick gets sexier, you are telling me you agree with Sabertooth.

Pretty easy math.
That math is easy. But it appears the definition of a Weak Draft differs greatly from person to person and league to league.

The problem isn't necessarily that guys don't have talent, it's that they present situations that make them riskier picks. That doesn't mean they don't have elite upside. Tavon Austin is so dynamic he could be a legit top 10 WR. He could be a mix of Percy Harvin and Wes Walker. But of course there are durability concerns due to his size. Patterson could be a stud, but he definitely needs some polish and his single year of production is somewhat scary. But he has elite talent. Same with Justin Hunter.

And people bag on Lacey, but he looks pretty darn good to me.

And while all the QBs have flaws, put them in the right system and they could be very very good. Or if Manuel can become more accurate, he could be a stud.

I think it's silly to hammer these guys for not being surefire studs. There are plenty of "surefire" guys that end up busting. Yeah, there is more risk in this draft, but that doesn't mean there isn't talent.

I like the middle of the 1st thru the middle of the 2nd in a 12 team dynasty format. Lot of guys I like late.
Which means you don't really like them much.

There is the problem. Some of the most talented players are not being touted by the media. Because of this smart NFL teams will have a field day with this draft. To me, this is a good thing.

Back during bowl season I noticed all of the top QB's in the draft were sketchy after doing my best evaluation. I can find RB/WR all throughout the year, so that told me I need to take different action to improve the bad dynasty team I took over. I literally said #### it and traded a top 2 pick this year for a late 1st and two 2nds this year to a real contender. My leaguemates talked a lot of trash, being a new owner didn’t help, but I can guarantee that the three players I take will be as talented or better gambles than his one pick at a much cheaper price. After the draft situation will become clearer. Sometimes situation trumps talent, in the short-term, so I wouldn’t completely freakout if I held 1.1 this year. Something like Lacy to the Rams or Geno to the Jags could change your thinking in a heartbeat. Even if you’re forced to make the pick you’ll have a tradable asset for a few years at the worse.
If you don't think Geno is very good, him going to the Jags isn't going to change a thing. I don't think Gabbert is much of a tradable asset.

ow this is the type of guy I need to find in my dynasty leagues. Crazy talk. No. You probably won't have a 1200 yard back or a 1k/10TD WR this year. But in 2-3 years, this class should blossom quite nicely. Guys like Lacy/Bernard should be solid to good pro's. There are about 12 WR's I like, only 4-5 I see as true #1 potential. I know. Its sad there isn't a sure-fire thing this year to make it easier on everyone. But for us guys that do our research heavily, its a great year b/c the lazy guys (not you, necessarily) will draft, well, lazily and the gems like Givens/Hilton who fell to me in the 3rd round last year will happen again this year. Cool.
I'm not following- are you purposely going to draft a dud in the 1st and 2nd round so a gem can fall to you in the 3rd? What does laziness have to do with it?

The problem isn't necessarily that guys don't have talent, it's that they present situations that make them riskier picks. That doesn't mean they don't have elite upside. Tavon Austin is so dynamic he could be a legit top 10 WR. He could be a mix of Percy Harvin and Wes Walker. But of course there are durability concerns due to his size. Patterson could be a stud, but he definitely needs some polish and his single year of production is somewhat scary. But he has elite talent. Same with Justin Hunter.And people bag on Lacey, but he looks pretty darn good to me.And while all the QBs have flaws, put them in the right system and they could be very very good. Or if Manuel can become more accurate, he could be a stud.I think it's silly to hammer these guys for not being surefire studs. There are plenty of "surefire" guys that end up busting. Yeah, there is more risk in this draft, but that doesn't mean there isn't talent.
:goodposting: come Thursday/Friday many of these guys are going to be a bit more shiny than they are now too.

Every draft has risk, we've never seen any of these guys play a down in the NFL. But IMO, you have to hold onto your 1st's until we see where these guys end up. The value of the picks will only go up once we know where they land.
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh... not necessarily. Right now we're projecting these guys as if they'll land in the best spot possible, but some will land behind established vets killing their value (Toby Gerhart anyone?)

There is the opposite effect that you're referring to also (Doug Martin anyone?) but the pendulum swings both ways.

Pretty easy math.
That math is easy. But it appears the definition of a Weak Draft differs greatly from person to person and league to league.
I guess.

But if this a strong draft, I'd sure like to hear the #######G NAMES of some of the players that make this a strong draft.

Lotta wind blowing through this thread, I don't see anyone making a strong case.

I like the middle of the 1st thru the middle of the 2nd in a 12 team dynasty format. Lot of guys I like late.
Which means you don't really like them much.

There is the problem. Some of the most talented players are not being touted by the media. Because of this smart NFL teams will have a field day with this draft. To me, this is a good thing.

Back during bowl season I noticed all of the top QB's in the draft were sketchy after doing my best evaluation. I can find RB/WR all throughout the year, so that told me I need to take different action to improve the bad dynasty team I took over. I literally said #### it and traded a top 2 pick this year for a late 1st and two 2nds this year to a real contender. My leaguemates talked a lot of trash, being a new owner didn’t help, but I can guarantee that the three players I take will be as talented or better gambles than his one pick at a much cheaper price. After the draft situation will become clearer. Sometimes situation trumps talent, in the short-term, so I wouldn’t completely freakout if I held 1.1 this year. Something like Lacy to the Rams or Geno to the Jags could change your thinking in a heartbeat. Even if you’re forced to make the pick you’ll have a tradable asset for a few years at the worse.
If you don't think Geno is very good, him going to the Jags isn't going to change a thing. I don't think Gabbert is much of a tradable asset.

ow this is the type of guy I need to find in my dynasty leagues. Crazy talk. No. You probably won't have a 1200 yard back or a 1k/10TD WR this year. But in 2-3 years, this class should blossom quite nicely. Guys like Lacy/Bernard should be solid to good pro's. There are about 12 WR's I like, only 4-5 I see as true #1 potential. I know. Its sad there isn't a sure-fire thing this year to make it easier on everyone. But for us guys that do our research heavily, its a great year b/c the lazy guys (not you, necessarily) will draft, well, lazily and the gems like Givens/Hilton who fell to me in the 3rd round last year will happen again this year. Cool.
I'm not following- are you purposely going to draft a dud in the 1st and 2nd round so a gem can fall to you in the 3rd? What does laziness have to do with it?
It's just an example. I'm not the greatest Lacy fan but if all he has to do I play better than Isiah Pead then count me in. As of now I'm not really thinking about fantasy relavance until after the draft, but I'm still doing my best to identify the "weak talent" in this class. I think everyone should do the same. Mock drafts and Todd McShay wont help me win any leagues.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh... not necessarily. Right now we're projecting these guys as if they'll land in the best spot possible, but some will land behind established vets killing their value (Toby Gerhart anyone?)

There is the opposite effect that you're referring to also (Doug Martin anyone?) but the pendulum swings both ways.
Absolutely. What if Eddie Lacy is drafted by the Bills or Jaguars? It's not always as clean as people think it will be.

I like that aspect of the draft. I actually hope that the players I don't like go to awesome situations and the players that I do like get buried on ugly depth charts. That creates good value in the rookie draft. I've got the 1.02 pick in one league and that's going to be tricky, but beyond that I just hope the players that I like don't get too much buzz between now and the time when I'll have a chance to add them.

It's just an example. I'm not the greatest Lacy fan but if all he has to do I play better than Isiah Pead then count me in. As of now I'm not really thinking about fantasy relavance until after the draft, but I'm still doing my best to identify the "weak talent" in this class. I think everyone should do the same. Mock drafts and Todd McShay wont help me win any leagues.
Sure, I just think it's a bad one. Worst case scenario is not that you'll have a tradable asset for a few years, worst case scenario is that he goes to the Jags and is awful, in which case he's pretty much worthless, just like the last QB they drafted.

We all know that situation matters when determining value, but I think most people still prefer talent over situation in a dynasty. The talent isn't going to change after the NFL draft, even if their short term FF value fluctuates (which can go both ways obviously).

True - but the people holding that 1.01 can usually get more from it post draft than before the draft... there's usually at least one of the top prospects who land in a juicy situation.

The only WR I feel strong about is Hopkins. Others will hit for sure, Hopkins is a lock to me.

Players at all positions will hit (although this could be a draft where not one QB does), just not sure on which ones.

Users who are viewing this thread