What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger Woods (1 Viewer)

Jesus this thread really does attract the worst posters in the FFA. You can't even make one reasonable point to a decent poster like Nutter (one that he immediately recognized) without a couple haters seizing the opportunity to jump in with dumb and irrelevant comments.

What kind of person hates a golfer this much?
There are countless shots in tourney where "an inch either way" is a huge swing for the golfer. Yes, it had a big impact on Tiger's score but I'm sure every single golfer could make the same statement over the course of 72 holes.
Sure- although I think that four shot swings on a single bad bounce are unusual, 2 shot swings certainly are not.

But I wasn't saying he should have won or anything like that. What I said was that very unlucky shot cost him four strokes he would have saved if it was an inch off line, and four shots was exactly how much he trailed the leaders by when all was said and done. I don't consider one bad break to be a "significant distance" behind. That's all I said. It was a simple, not at all controversial point, one the guy I was addressing agreed with. It takes a significant amount of irrational hatred towards a golfer to see it any other way.
Especially when the bad bounce was a direct consequence of hitting a perfect shot. Most bad breaks happen on missed shots. Tiger's was not your garden variety bad break.
So he was trying to hit the stick?
There's a difference between aiming at the flagstick and wanting to hit the flagstick. Nobody expects to hit the centimeter they're aimed at from 100 yards, or whatever it was. I don't know what he was thinking, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't trying to make it, was aiming at the flag and was figuring on spinning the ball back under the hole for an uphill putt.
Pretty sure these pros look at an 85 yd wedge shot the way a low handicapper looks at a chip. They're trying to hole every single one.

Tigerbets:

John Bender = $500 when Tiger wins a major this year

gbacm = $200 when Tiger wins a major this year

zoonation = $200 when Tiger finishes ahead of Rory this year

zoonation = $1k when Tiger breaks Jack's record

I think one other maybe also with zoonation? Can't seem to find it in here...
John Bender and gbacm -- I'll let you both out of our bets for free, but that offer will expire at the end of the day this Sunday, August 4. Otherwise I'll need to collect. No way he doesn't win next weekend.

zoonation, sorry but our bets are still in play.
Oops.

Raider Nation said:
Tigerbets:

John Bender = $500 when Tiger wins a major this year

gbacm = $200 when Tiger wins a major this year

zoonation = $200 when Tiger finishes ahead of Rory this year

zoonation = $1k when Tiger breaks Jack's record

I think one other maybe also with zoonation? Can't seem to find it in here...
John Bender and gbacm -- I'll let you both out of our bets for free, but that offer will expire at the end of the day this Sunday, August 4. Otherwise I'll need to collect. No way he doesn't win next weekend.

zoonation, sorry but our bets are still in play.
Oops.
Brilliant right? Some of my best work here.

Set the controls for the heart of the Internet.

its weird how many hardcore conservatives from the political threads really dislike Tiger Woods in this thread.
Perhaps not so weird. One could imagine that a "conservative" would be more inclined to dislike the stupid "Get in the hole!" or "Mashed potatoes!" yells on the golf course. Additionally, one could imagine that a conservative might be more annoyed at Tiger's disrespect for the game, and his profanity on the golf course. And one could imagine that a conservative would like the better behaved crowds at the Master's than the raucous crowds at the U.S. Open.

I was a Tiger fan at one time, and thought he brought excitement and incredible skill to the game. Over the years, his arrogance, his disrespect for the game, and his profanity on the course gradually alienated me.

These are all questions of opinion, and I can readily see that some may have equally grounded and totally opposed opinions on these matters.

Glad to see we're still on course. Was there ever a doubt? "Tiger looks real good today" :fizzle:

Another season goes by - no majors - This thread is more meaningful today than it was when it was first posted.

Glad to see we're still on course. Was there ever a doubt? "Tiger looks real good today" :fizzle:

Another season goes by - no majors - This thread is more meaningful today than it was when it was first posted.
But, but, but...he won the Bridgestone going away. Dominated the field. That means he's back, right? Majors don't mean anything. :X

The fish think they're fishing the fisherman here, but this thread is for real. Tiger is a hot topic. A lot of the weekend golfers here (weekend golfing is for ham and eggers) can't let go of Tiger. They get so emotional which makes this thread a decent pond to drop a line in but the attempts are just poor...transparent.

What has Tiger done in the last 5 years? Nothing really, in comparison to what he had done. This thread shouldn't be bumped until he wins 2 in 4 weeks or a major. It's not like it's been a year - It's been nearly half a decade for Christ's sake. That's a wrap for middle school. People have started and finished college.

Agree with Escape Goat.

Hasn't it been 10+ years since Tigers last win at the Masters. That's not a dry spell... it's a ####### drought.

2014 sets up favorably for Tiger in terms of courses where the majors are being played. If he doesn't break the drought next year I think a lot of people will come around to thinking he has an uphill battle to pass Jack.

2014 sets up favorably for Tiger in terms of courses where the majors are being played. If he doesn't break the drought next year I think a lot of people will come around to thinking he has an uphill battle to pass Jack.
I think many already agree its an uphill battle.

Much of it appears completely mental as well...which is the surprising thing that Tiger lost from his previous form.

Was it the wife? Earl?...who knows...but with no prevailing physical issue right now...fixing the mind is much tougher than a swing fix for him it appears.

I'll buy into this. If he doesn't win one next year, there's good reason for concern. If he can fix his driver this offseason--and it strikes me that's what he should focus on--then I think he comes back with a vengeance next year, because he's otherwise playing better golf now than he's played in a very long time.

Majors don't mean anything. :X
And this is why people don't take your schtick all that serious...you are forced to make things up that nobody here has ever come close to saying in order to try arguing.
Not in those exact words, but it's the entire basis for the nuthugger's argument that he's "back". The Majors are indisputably the biggest, most important events of the year. The guy hasn't won a major in over five years. Yet, you clowns love to ignore that fact and still try to claim that 'he's back' and that Finless was wrong when he started this thread. When, in fact, no one has ever been more right.

As Jeremy Schapp so accurately stated on Monday, "Woods used to be the best when it mattered most. Now he's only great when it matters least"

And this is why people don't take your schtick all that serious...you are forced to make things up that nobody here has ever come close to saying in order to try arguing.
Not in those exact words, but it's the entire basis for the nuthugger's argument that he's "back". The Majors are indisputably the biggest, most important events of the year. The guy hasn't won a major in over five years. Yet, you clowns love to ignore that fact and still try to claim that 'he's back' and that Finless was wrong when he started this thread. When, in fact, no one has ever been more right.

As Jeremy Schapp so accurately stated on Monday, "Woods used to be the best when it mattered most. Now he's only great when it matters least"
Actually...not in those words...or anything close to it.

People are looking at his swing and consistency on the course when they claim "he is back".

And outside of Otis...have many really said much of a thing?

Much of what Finless has said is wrong. But you keep pumping it up and making things up to argue if that works for you I guess.

People are looking at his swing and consistency on the course when they claim "he is back".

Much of what Finless has said is wrong. But you keep pumping it up and making things up to argue if that works for you I guess.
Whatever helps you sleep at night. Better luck next year.

I sleep fine at night. Why wouldn't I?

Oh...thats right...you and fin have this ridiculous notion that the rest of us who have supported Tiger against your ignorance have some emotional attachment and actually get angry when he does not win a major.

Hah...

I sleep fine at night. Why wouldn't I?

Oh...thats right...you and fin have this ridiculous notion that the rest of us who have supported Tiger against your ignorance have some emotional attachment and actually get angry when he does not win a major.

Hah...
Oh come on. You guys get terribly disappointed when these majors come and go with Woods still choking every time. It's most evident when he really plays well in one of those rinky-dink non-majors leading up to them. Your mouth waters and you get fooled every time. It's like a permanent bait and switch and he hooks you guys every time. "No way he doesn't win the PGA". I love those posts. They happen every time he wins another Miracle Whip Classic or Samsonite Luggage Invitational.

Oh come on. You guys get terribly disappointed when these majors come and go with Woods still choking every time. It's most evident when he really plays well in one of those rinky-dink non-majors leading up to them. Your mouth waters and you get fooled every time. It's like a permanent bait and switch and he hooks you guys every time. "No way he doesn't win the PGA". I love those posts. They happen every time he wins another Miracle Whip Classic or Samsonite Luggage Invitational.
Sorry to disappoint you...but what a golfer does...doesn't affect my mood whatsoever.

But keep trying I guess.

Sorry to disappoint you...but what a golfer does...doesn't affect my mood whatsoever.

But keep trying I guess.
:lmao:

Like you aren't chomping at the bit for that 'I told you so' moment.

Your 'unaffected' facade is almost as pathetic as your insatiable urge to reply, reply and reply some more.

But keep trying I guess.

Like you aren't chomping at the bit for that 'I told you so' moment.

Your 'unaffected' facade is almost as pathetic as your insatiable urge to reply, reply and reply some more.
Not quite as pathetic as how you follow me around to post crap like this.

Sorry...internet trolls and golfers simply don't make me emotional.

Your schtick gets me to reply...oh no...that must mean I am pissed off.

Too funny that you think you have any actual affect on me personally.

Even more eye catching is how many different golfers have won majors since Wood's last.
THE LAst 21 majors have produced 18 different winners with only Phil, Ernie, and Justin winning twice in that span. To this I'm sure, Tiger will win another major. He will get hot at the right time and string 4 good rounds together at some point. He looked at one point like he would win 10 masters. He'll sneak in another one or two of those. He loves St. Andrews and could always win there. I don't know about the record, will be close in the end.

For someone to be "back," they have to leave or be down first. That's kind of how it works. So it doesn't matter that he hasn't won a major in X years or X tries. That's part of the whole equation. Arguing that Tiger isn't "back" because he hasn't won a major in five years would be like someone arguing that Michael Jordan wasn't "back" during the 95-96 season because he hadn't won a scoring title or led his team to the NBA championship since 1993. See the problem there?

If you want to argue that Tiger isn't back because he hasn't won any of the last 7-8 majors (the ones he played when he was healthy and playing a full schedule), go for it. That argument at least makes sense. But you can't say someone's not back and then include the time when they were down in your analysis. That makes zero sense. It makes sense if you're making a completely different argument that the last five years have been the worst 5 year stretch of his career, but nobody is really arguing the other side of that, are they?

Last edited by a moderator:
Even more eye catching is how many different golfers have won majors since Wood's last.
THE LAst 21 majors have produced 18 different winners with only Phil, Ernie, and Justin winning twice in that span. To this I'm sure, Tiger will win another major. He will get hot at the right time and string 4 good rounds together at some point. He looked at one point like he would win 10 masters. He'll sneak in another one or two of those. He loves St. Andrews and could always win there. I don't know about the record, will be close in the end.
I think Rory won twice

I dont know which Justin you are referring to and I dont think Ernie has won twice in the last 5-6 years.

I think its Phil and Rory

I think Rory won twice

I dont know which Justin you are referring to and I dont think Ernie has won twice in the last 5-6 years.

I think its Phil and Rory
It's Phil, Rory and Harrington, who won the British and PGA in '08 after Tiger wpn the U.S. Open.

When Schaap says 'matters least' that's pure hyperbole. Schtick aside, WGC and Players are not 'least'. Yes, Tiger cares less about those than the majors. So does every single tour player. But it's not the John Deere or some other minor tourney that Tiger has been winning.

I do believe he has some kind of mental block in the majors, but his game is good enough to win them. Just taking inventory of his game, even without a driver, he's got everything physically he needs to win a major. I can't speculate why he chokes in the big ones, or if its just coincidence or a trend. But he's by far the best golfer in the world right now. And he is winning very prestigious tournaments against top shelf fields. Only a troll or a fool could argue against those two assertions.

Being #1 in the World and on or near the top of the money list means something. If it didn't, then there is no need for the PGA Tour, US and International.

When you are quoting Jeremy Schaap, you've hit rock bottom.
This. Jeremy Schaap looks like he's never played a sport, and he probably can't break 100 on your local muni.

Look. Tiger is winning at a 40-50% clip. He's dominant. The folks that are saying he wins "lesser" or "rinky-dink" tournaments are just ignorant. You'll never see Tiger in a Reno-Tahoe Open. He only plays in the absolute, premier events. As an example, the World Golf Championship events. They had 48 out of the top 50 in the world there and he crushed 'em.

Tiger can't dominate every course. He's still not great off the tee, and on courses that are tight with deep rough I don't like him to win, unless he can hit irons all day (which he's done). The simple fact is Tiger is just trying too hard in Majors. He's pressing. The weight of history is on him every time he tees it up these 4 events a year. He'll win again. I'm sure of it. Majors are incredibly hard to win, as evidenced by history. The fact that he's made it look relatively easy in the past doesn't change that fact. You have to have your A game, be lucky (i.e. can't hit the flagstick into the water with a wedge), etc. If anything doesn't go your way you lose.

When Schaap says 'matters least' that's pure hyperbole. Schtick aside, WGC and Players are not 'least'. Yes, Tiger cares less about those than the majors. So does every single tour player. But it's not the John Deere or some other minor tourney that Tiger has been winning.
Schapp wasn't using shtick. He was doing a commentary on Tiger's five years of failures in the four tourney's a year that anyone actually gives a crap about. His closing line was dead on..Tiger is the best until he plays the biggest ones. That's Tony Romo territory. Not 'best ever' territory.

Schapp wasn't using shtick. He was doing a commentary on Tiger's five years of failures in the four tourney's a year that anyone actually gives a crap about. His closing line was dead on..Tiger is the best until he plays the biggest ones. That's Tony Romo territory. Not 'best ever' territory.
Tiger actually played golf professionally from 1996 to 2008 and amassed 14 major victories in that period. A lot of people aren't aware of that, but it's true, look it up.

Romo is a choke artist though, I agree with you there.

When Schaap says 'matters least' that's pure

hyperbole. Schtick aside, WGC and Players are not 'least'. Yes, Tiger cares less about those than the majors. So does every single tour player. But it's not the John Deere or some

other minor tourney that Tiger has been winning.
Romo comparison is bogus as Tiger has 14 Majors while Romo has never won a thing. Tom Brady is probably a better comparison seeing how he won 3 SBs and then has crapped out in the playoffs more recently.

Junior, it's time guy.

Tiger actually played golf professionally from 1996 to 2008 and amassed 14 major victories in that period. A lot of people aren't aware of that, but it's true, look it up.

No kidding!?? Wow, he was really great. Someone should start a thread about how he's not that guy anymore.

Junior, it's time guy.
Oh, did he win one? I missed that. Actually, drummer..it's time guy. Go cry to mommy for another eight months. Maybe next year.

A tweet David Feherty sent out :

"5 wins this season, 8 at Firestone. He's at no. 1 in the world for months, and I could care less about majors. He's the best, that's all."
I put more stock in his opinion than Schaap's

Junior, it's time guy.
Oh, did he win one? I missed that. Actually, drummer..it's time guy. Go cry to mommy for another eight months. Maybe next year.
Maybe you should try to mix it up by posting in other threads. Because if this is your FFA legacy, well, good luck with all that.

Junior, it's time guy.
Maybe you should try to mix it up by posting in other threads. Because if this is your FFA legacy, well, good luck with all that.
What is your legacy? Every time I see someone commenting to you, they're calling you a whiny baby. Nevermind, I answered my own question.

No kidding!?? Wow, he was really great. Someone should start a thread about how he's not that guy anymore.
You compared him to Romo. You're a ####### idiot. Go away.

Junior, it's time guy.
What is your legacy? Every time I see someone commenting to you, they're calling you a whiny baby. Nevermind, I answered my own question.
They talk a lot don't they?

Users who are viewing this thread