What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Tebow - 8.17.21 Waived By Jacksonville (1 Viewer)

Simple question.

Why is anyone labeled a hater because they say Tebow is not a good QB?
If you're not a Bronco fan, why even care how good/bad of a QB Tebow might be?
Because I enjoy scouting players. I do this with all the players in the league for my dynasty leagues.
No offense to you specifically, Tom - but I see this type of comment often and I find it hysterical.
So you choose to count on others for your opinions of players? If so I also find that hysterical.
What did Tebow run in the agility drill for you?
I count the combine as a very small piece of the puzzle in evaluating talent so I have no clue what you're getting at here.

Simple question.

Because I enjoy scouting players. I do this with all the players in the league for my dynasty leagues.
No offense to you specifically, Tom - but I see this type of comment often and I find it hysterical.
So you choose to count on others for your opinions of players? If so I also find that hysterical.
What did Tebow run in the agility drill for you?
I count the combine as a very small piece of the puzzle in evaluating talent so I have no clue what you're getting at here.
I would guess he doesn't play in a dynasty league. Although I don't scout every player. Didn't scout the Tebow. I was set with Manning/Ryan. Won't be scouting guys like Michael Floyd, Richardson, Blackmon. They will be gone. Actaully I wouldn't even want Floyd.

Last edited by a moderator:
People are acting like Tebow will continue to have a 50% completion rate. Absolutely no doubt he's going to improve. Also, the Broncos throw a lot of deep routes which by nature, get completed less often. They also don't throw many screens/bubble screens which inflate other QB's completion percentage. Tebows's completion rate will further improve as soon as the Broncos start throwing on 1st down more often (as they gain confidence in him). It's much easier for Ds to defend the pass when they know it's coming. This will be Tebow's first real season of offseason work, as well, & he'll continue to get better & better. Like I've said before, he's got a massive amount of headroom.

Tebow is inconsistent right now, but QB is the easiest position to improve at, simply because it's the hardest to master. Essentially, the reason I like Tebow as an NFL/FF QB is because of his combination of intangibles, running/athletic ability, arm strength, work ethic, character, smarts, & last but not least, the dude is a football player.
With Tebow's elongated throwing motion and very slow release bubble screens and quick outs wouldn't be effective. Throws to the sidelines, particularly to his right, isn't one of his strengths. Pittsburgh did not defend well against Tebow's strength as a QB which is the down field, slower developing throw. Even the crossing routes he hit to Thomas in OT and the non-catch by Decker were one read plays that allowed (with good blocking bby the offensive line) Tebow to see the play develop and throw to his called play. The OC did a great job of calling the right play and Tebow made some really nice throws. With McGhee hobbled the Bronco's weren't going to beat the Steelers with Lance Ball and Tebow running into the line. The coaching staff very wisely allowed Tebow to pass early, it was their only real chance.

The Wallace drop in the 2nd quarter and the Legursky bad snap were buzz kills for a Steelers offense that was struggling to do anything right in the first half. Denver's D played a physical/spirited game.

Denver put it all together on Sunday and deserved to win the game.
They run plenty of wide receiver bubble screens. They don't runs screens to the running back because those are built to counter an over-aggressive defense and defenses are the exact opposite against Tebow. The defensive line plays to contain him not to pressure him.

Everybody heard Tebow saying he jumped into the stands after the OT touchdown. Surprisingly, there is no video of it and one picture. You'd think since the camera never leaves him they'd have at least one on him after he threw the touchdown. Here's the picture: Tebow Jumps Into Stands

People are acting like Tebow will continue to have a 50% completion rate. Absolutely no doubt he's going to improve. Also, the Broncos throw a lot of deep routes which by nature, get completed less often. They also don't throw many screens/bubble screens which inflate other QB's completion percentage. Tebows's completion rate will further improve as soon as the Broncos start throwing on 1st down more often (as they gain confidence in him). It's much easier for Ds to defend the pass when they know it's coming. This will be Tebow's first real season of offseason work, as well, & he'll continue to get better & better. Like I've said before, he's got a massive amount of headroom.

Tebow is inconsistent right now, but QB is the easiest position to improve at, simply because it's the hardest to master. Essentially, the reason I like Tebow as an NFL/FF QB is because of his combination of intangibles, running/athletic ability, arm strength, work ethic, character, smarts, & last but not least, the dude is a football player.
With Tebow's elongated throwing motion and very slow release bubble screens and quick outs wouldn't be effective. Throws to the sidelines, particularly to his right, isn't one of his strengths. Pittsburgh did not defend well against Tebow's strength as a QB which is the down field, slower developing throw. Even the crossing routes he hit to Thomas in OT and the non-catch by Decker were one read plays that allowed (with good blocking bby the offensive line) Tebow to see the play develop and throw to his called play. The OC did a great job of calling the right play and Tebow made some really nice throws. With McGhee hobbled the Bronco's weren't going to beat the Steelers with Lance Ball and Tebow running into the line. The coaching staff very wisely allowed Tebow to pass early, it was their only real chance.

The Wallace drop in the 2nd quarter and the Legursky bad snap were buzz kills for a Steelers offense that was struggling to do anything right in the first half. Denver's D played a physical/spirited game.

They run plenty of wide receiver bubble screens. They don't runs screens to the running back because those are built to counter an over-aggressive defense and defenses are the exact opposite against Tebow. The defensive line plays to contain him not to pressure him.
I din't see them run any in the games I watched; Minny, Chicago, NE and Pittsburgh; none that were effective any way.His delivery is too slow.

I din't see them run any in the games I watched; Minny, Chicago, NE and Pittsburgh; none that were effective any way.His delivery is too slow.
they haven't run any lately, IMO because teams are playing bump and run on the WR's. Can't really throw a bubble screen unless DB's are 8-10 yards off of the LoS. If defenses ever get scared of Tebow's deep game, bubble screens will open.

they haven't run any lately, IMO because teams are playing bump and run on the WR's. Can't really throw a bubble screen unless DB's are 8-10 yards off of the LoS. If defenses ever get scared of Tebow's deep game, bubble screens will open.
I believe they ran three bubble screens to Royal on Sunday. One was called back for offensive PI on Willis near the goal line.

I believe they ran three bubble screens to Royal on Sunday. One was called back for offensive PI on Willis near the goal line.
They also had one early in the game to Decker that was recorded as a running play (backwards pass).

Everybody heard Tebow saying he jumped into the stands after the OT touchdown. Surprisingly, there is no video of it and one picture. You'd think since the camera never leaves him they'd have at least one on him after he threw the touchdown. Here's the picture: Tebow Jumps Into Stands
Holy smokes look at the chin on the old dude in the #30 jersey, that thing puts the Rock of Gibraltar to shame.

Denver's defense has some very good pieces but it also has a lot of holes. Sometimes guys like Miller and Dummervil can cover up those holes with big plays, but when they don't decent offenses go up and down the field on the Broncos.
The Broncos have a lot of holes. There is no way I would have predicted this team to make it to the playoffs, let alone win a round. WR, RB, TE, and OG all need to be addressed on offense. DT, CB, MLB, and S all need to be addressed on defense. The defense still isn't very good, but has improved greatly after being one of the worst ever. Elway has to consider Tebow is QBOF and build up the rest of the team through draft/FA.

I din't see them run any in the games I watched; Minny, Chicago, NE and Pittsburgh; none that were effective any way.

His delivery is too slow.
tebow vs brady release time... so you're saying brady has a slow release as well?

Perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote. Which playoff team was it that the Broncos (with Tebow) or the Bengals beat in the regular season?

If you look, the Bears (who didn't make the playoffs) beat Atlanta and the Lions with Cutler and Forte.
Funny thing about the Jets, Chargers, and Raiders. They all would have made the playoffs if they'd beaten Denver with Tebow.The other funny thing about them is they were all considered good teams who were going to put Tebow in his place until they lost to him, at which point they instantly became schmucks that anyone can beat.

It's not like it's unusual for a team to not rack up a bunch of wins against playoff teams. With the Broncos win over the Steelers this week it puts them right in the middle of the pack in good wins, really.

New England hasn't beaten a team with a winning record all year and they got a first round bye.

Atlanta has 1 win against a playoff team (Detroit)

Houston has 2 (Pittsburgh and a 1-point win vs Cincy)

NYG have 2 (New England and this week's game vs Atlanta)

Cinci has 0

Pitt has 2 (New England and Cinci)

Detroit has 1 (Denver)

Denver has 1 (Pittsburgh)
Technically Denver has a winning record so NE has 1 win over a team with a winning record right now. That will not be the case if they beat Denver again.
Not to mention the fact that the Broncos also beat Cincinatti (albeit with Orton) so technically they have 2 wins over playoff teams.

Simple question.

So then your sole purpose for coming to this forum is to bless us all with your expert analysis of each and every player? I almost feel like I should pay you for this great honor sir, do you have a website I can sign up at or how would I go about ensuring that I never miss your thoughts on any player?

Perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote. Which playoff team was it that the Broncos (with Tebow) or the Bengals beat in the regular season?

If you look, the Bears (who didn't make the playoffs) beat Atlanta and the Lions with Cutler and Forte.
Funny thing about the Jets, Chargers, and Raiders. They all would have made the playoffs if they'd beaten Denver with Tebow.The other funny thing about them is they were all considered good teams who were going to put Tebow in his place until they lost to him, at which point they instantly became schmucks that anyone can beat.

It's not like it's unusual for a team to not rack up a bunch of wins against playoff teams. With the Broncos win over the Steelers this week it puts them right in the middle of the pack in good wins, really.

New England hasn't beaten a team with a winning record all year and they got a first round bye.

Atlanta has 1 win against a playoff team (Detroit)

Houston has 2 (Pittsburgh and a 1-point win vs Cincy)

NYG have 2 (New England and this week's game vs Atlanta)

Cinci has 0

Pitt has 2 (New England and Cinci)

Detroit has 1 (Denver)

Denver has 1 (Pittsburgh)
Technically Denver has a winning record so NE has 1 win over a team with a winning record right now. That will not be the case if they beat Denver again.
Not to mention the fact that the Broncos also beat Cincinatti (albeit with Orton) so technically they have 2 wins over playoff teams.
And possibly 3-4 of the teams they beat would have been playoff teams had they not lost to the Broncos with Tebow as the starter - Chargers, Chiefs (the first game), Raiders, and possibly the Jets.

Speaking of talking heads, Merril Hoge, who has probably the loudest critic of Tebow's this year, has yet to tweet again since this gem Sunday morning:

At 12:20 Watch countdown on ESPN to see coaching tape of Tebow struggles and what the steeler D will do to him!!

:lmao:

That makes Sunday's win even sweeter. As if beating the Steelers isn't satisfying enough already, but them being Hoge's former team is just more icing on the cake. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Just curious - how much of the anti-Tebow is based in anti-Christianity?
It works both ways.
True - but IMO it's more acceptable to favor him for being like-minded than it is to hate him for thinking differently
Is it more acceptable to hate the Klan because you oppose it or love the Klan because you support it? You don't need to answer, the point is that your logic can be applied to pretty much any belief system.First of all I don't think the people you are talking about hate Tebow, I think they are put off by his overt religiosity. They want to watch a football game not be given a religious message (from any religion). Tebow, through his actions, seems to view it as his pulpit and IMO takes advantage of that opportunity. Using his patented one knee, head down with fist on forehead thing he is sending the message, intentionally or not, that his prayer will impact the outcome of the game. Some people eat that stuff up and ask for seconds, many others think the gridiron is not the place for that.But I don't think hate enters the picture for most of his detractors. Either way it's fun to watch.

It works both ways.
True - but IMO it's more acceptable to favor him for being like-minded than it is to hate him for thinking differently
Is it more acceptable to hate the Klan because you oppose it or love the Klan because you support it? You don't need to answer, the point is that your logic can be applied to pretty much any belief system.First of all I don't think the people you are talking about hate Tebow, I think they are put off by his overt religiosity. They want to watch a football game not be given a religious message (from any religion). Tebow, through his actions, seems to view it as his pulpit and IMO takes advantage of that opportunity. Using his patented one knee, head down with fist on forehead thing he is sending the message, intentionally or not, that his prayer will impact the outcome of the game. Some people eat that stuff up and ask for seconds, many others think the gridiron is not the place for that.But I don't think hate enters the picture for most of his detractors. Either way it's fun to watch.
The Klan is an extreme example - because they are practicing hate.Tebow is choosing to worship in his way - he is not posing for the camera's - the cameras are looking for him. I don't know for certain - but I suspect he is not praying directly for a win - just to allow him to play his best.

It works both ways.
And the people who complain about Tebow being "in your face" about his religion bring way more attention to religion than Tebow himself does. I'm not even religious, and I don't have a problem with Tebow and his religion because he really isn't "in your face" about it. The annoying thing is all the yahoos that think he is "in your face" about his religion and complain about him. Aside from him thanking his lord and savior at the beginning of interviews, he doesn't really talk religion at all. There are plenty of athletes who talk about religion more than Tebow who don't get any of the scrutiny that Tebow gets. The people who have a problem with Tebow and his religion need to look in the mirror because they have much bigger problems than what they are admitting to. (Edit to add: In my opinion to the end of all that)

It works both ways.
And the people who complain about Tebow being "in your face" about his religion bring way more attention to religion than Tebow himself does. I'm not even religious, and I don't have a problem with Tebow and his religion because he really isn't "in your face" about it. The annoying thing is all the yahoos that think he is "in your face" about his religion and complain about him. Aside from him thanking his lord and savior at the beginning of interviews, he doesn't really talk religion at all. There are plenty of athletes who talk about religion more than Tebow who don't get any of the scrutiny that Tebow gets. The people who have a problem with Tebow and his religion need to look in the mirror because they have much bigger problems than what they are admitting to. (Edit to add: In my opinion to the end of all that)
:goodposting: reggie white was the same way... he led prayers after games. everyone would gather in the middle of the field - players from both teams - and kneel down just like tebow does and pray. this isn't anything new. it's unfortunate that some can't just accept other people will have different beliefs and ideologies. the fact that tebow is ultra religious shouldn't have any bearing on the football player he is, but there are people in this world who cannot look beyond that. it makes him a bad person, a fool, or a bad quarterback. this issue goes beyond tebow, but that's for another thread. again, it's nothing new and it's something we should get used to because religion isn't going anywhere, beliefs are beliefs. lets move on.how about that slow release? :shrug:

'werdnoynek said:
'munchkin said:
I din't see them run any in the games I watched; Minny, Chicago, NE and Pittsburgh; none that were effective any way.

tebow vs brady release time... so you're saying brady has a slow release as well?
Do you know the difference between a down field pass and a screen pass? Brady does not wind up like that when he throws the quick screen/bubble pass; he has a much quicker release.

'werdnoynek said:
'shredhead said:
'Chaka said:
'The Dude said:
'Chaka said:
'The Dude said:
It works both ways.
Is it more acceptable to hate the Klan because you oppose it or love the Klan because you support it? You don't need to answer, the point is that your logic can be applied to pretty much any belief system.First of all I don't think the people you are talking about hate Tebow, I think they are put off by his overt religiosity. They want to watch a football game not be given a religious message (from any religion). Tebow, through his actions, seems to view it as his pulpit and IMO takes advantage of that opportunity. Using his patented one knee, head down with fist on forehead thing he is sending the message, intentionally or not, that his prayer will impact the outcome of the game. Some people eat that stuff up and ask for seconds, many others think the gridiron is not the place for that.

But I don't think hate enters the picture for most of his detractors. Either way it's fun to watch.
:goodposting: reggie white was the same way... he led prayers after games. everyone would gather in the middle of the field - players from both teams - and kneel down just like tebow does and pray. this isn't anything new.

it's unfortunate that some can't just accept other people will have different beliefs and ideologies. the fact that tebow is ultra religious shouldn't have any bearing on the football player he is, but there are people in this world who cannot look beyond that. it makes him a bad person, a fool, or a bad quarterback. this issue goes beyond tebow, but that's for another thread.

again, it's nothing new and it's something we should get used to because religion isn't going anywhere, beliefs are beliefs. lets move on.

how about that slow release? :shrug:
I 100% agree but you do realize that this is happening from both sides. It sounds like you and shredhead don't support the ones it bothers and give a pass to the ones who like it. It seems that most people have taken a stance on Tebow based solely upon something that isn't relevant to the game of football.He is an inconsistent QB with a lot of upside and some serious flaws that people seem to rush to make excuses for. Whether he turns into Vince Young or Steve Young or somewhere in between we don't know but it will be fun to watch.

'werdnoynek said:
'shredhead said:
'Chaka said:
'The Dude said:
'Chaka said:
'The Dude said:
It works both ways.
Is it more acceptable to hate the Klan because you oppose it or love the Klan because you support it? You don't need to answer, the point is that your logic can be applied to pretty much any belief system.First of all I don't think the people you are talking about hate Tebow, I think they are put off by his overt religiosity. They want to watch a football game not be given a religious message (from any religion). Tebow, through his actions, seems to view it as his pulpit and IMO takes advantage of that opportunity. Using his patented one knee, head down with fist on forehead thing he is sending the message, intentionally or not, that his prayer will impact the outcome of the game. Some people eat that stuff up and ask for seconds, many others think the gridiron is not the place for that.

But I don't think hate enters the picture for most of his detractors. Either way it's fun to watch.
:goodposting: reggie white was the same way... he led prayers after games. everyone would gather in the middle of the field - players from both teams - and kneel down just like tebow does and pray. this isn't anything new.

it's unfortunate that some can't just accept other people will have different beliefs and ideologies. the fact that tebow is ultra religious shouldn't have any bearing on the football player he is, but there are people in this world who cannot look beyond that. it makes him a bad person, a fool, or a bad quarterback. this issue goes beyond tebow, but that's for another thread.

again, it's nothing new and it's something we should get used to because religion isn't going anywhere, beliefs are beliefs. lets move on.

how about that slow release? :shrug:
I 100% agree but you do realize that this is happening from both sides. It sounds like you and shredhead don't support the ones it bothers and give a pass to the ones who like it. It seems that most people have taken a stance on Tebow based solely upon something that isn't relevant to the game of football.He is an inconsistent QB with a lot of upside and some serious flaws that people seem to rush to make excuses for. Whether he turns into Vince Young or Steve Young or somewhere in between we don't know but it will be fun to watch.
i think it's clear there are two sides and i thought it was clear i'm not siding with either of them. i think both sides need to learn to live with each other because throughout history it's been like this. i have my own beliefs (or lack there of) but i'm ok with other people having theirs... i really don't understand what the big deal is because i accept the fact that some people's beliefs are different than mine, and some people feel the need to express their's differently.

i was merely suggesting others do the same, but it's obviously a difficult concept to grasp for some.

ETA RE the bolded: i really disagree with this. most? are you serious? i'd say most people are fans of the game and this kid is putting on quite the show. i'm a fan because of the way he turned this team around and is winning playoff games. i'm a fan because he's a winner and a gamer. i'm a fan because he's changing the way we look at quarterbacks. i could care less if he worships christ, satan, or the flying spaghetti monster and spreads the good word of good, evil, or noodles. i'd really like to move on from the religious talk and start talking about football.

the time it takes to start and finish the pass is no different. mccoy doesn't call plays like that... but does it matter? no. because some talking head says he has a slow release, tebow has a slow release. making our own decisions on the matter is unfathomable.

I am amused at how some are still hung up on his completion percentage from last week, as if that is the only stat that matters. 15 YPA? 3 total touchdown and no turnovers? Over 300 passing yards against the best pass defense? Apparently, that all means nothing, but his 48% completion percentage IS relevant, and seemingly proves that he sucks. :lol:

I guess every time Tebow plays there will at least fifty (bad) jokes about his religion/faith on this board. I'm actually not a fan of Tebow and his holier than thou attitude. I'm a Christian and I think it sends the wrong message. It's like he's asking God to "please love me a little more than everybody else tonight so my team can win this game. amen" And what's with him getting on one knee "praising Jesus" every time he wins? I think it's great that he's a Christian, but it's extremely tacky to me how he exploits it.

I guess every time Tebow plays there will at least fifty (bad) jokes about his religion/faith on this board. I'm actually not a fan of Tebow and his holier than thou attitude. I'm a Christian and I think it sends the wrong message. It's like he's asking God to "please love me a little more than everybody else tonight so my team can win this game. amen" And what's with him getting on one knee "praising Jesus" every time he wins? I think it's great that he's a Christian, but it's extremely tacky to me how he exploits it.
He never says that. His prayer is always something about the lines of, "God, give me the strength to honor you in the best way possible, win or lose."

It's slow.
when/if you take your hate-blinders off let me know, maybe then we can have an educated discussion on the matter. until then, it's obvious to me your dislike for the kid has made you delusional. if we brought in a neutral party with no interest in tebow, brady, or football for that matter, they couldn't tell the difference between their releases. because there isn't an obvious difference other than their form... the timing difference is minute if anything.

exploits it? that's an odd choice of words.how you and others pick up on this "holier than thou attitude" and the "please love me a little more than everybody else tonight..." seems odd to me... i think it goes deeper than some kid on TV expressing his faith. perhaps you should consider speaking with a professional or your minister about it if it offends you so much. because he's never said that and to interpret it that way just seems a bit off... especially for a proclaimed christian.

ESPN did a study on Tebow and his release time

Not a huge difference in terms of time but every tenth of a second does count.

I am amused at how some are still hung up on his completion percentage from last week, as if that is the only stat that matters. 15 YPA? 3 total touchdown and no turnovers? Over 300 passing yards against the best pass defense? Apparently, that all means nothing, but his 48% completion percentage IS relevant, and seemingly proves that he sucks. :lol:
The completion percentage has been consistent in every game he started, his YPA on the season is 6.4 and 6.8 on his career. I don't imagine that you are arguing that 15 Y/A is somehow sustainable.I agree that completion % may be overrated to some degree but it is an indication of his ability to make the high % throws that sustain drives. It also seems that some of the supporters are forgiving it based on the logic that he is just throwing it away when there is nothing there, which ignores the fact that every QB does that, or he is being coached to make on read then run or throw it away but there are a lot of examples of QBs with similar athletic ability who were coached the same way and still managed to complete over 50% of their passes, with the same or better Y/A.I like the ability he shows a ton of ability and will end up being a much better QB than most of the "experts" believed, but there are some obvious flaws with his game that he needs to work on and increasing his completion % is one of them (throwing to his right and speeding up his throwing motion are others).

Users who are viewing this thread