What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Timdraft # 2 (1 Viewer)

Last pick. I owe a few write-ups, and aim to have them done by the end of the workday.

30.04:

, Jazz Recording
Selected links for listening pleasure.

1959 must've been a heckuva year for jazz -- Charles Mingus's Columbia debut came out the same year as the previously-drafted Time Out and Kind of Blue. Kinda hate to double up on an artist already taken, but it's hard to say Mingus's output isn't solid enough to lend two efforts to this draft a la Miles Davis.

the siege at the khe san- military defeat
Bobby Layne may need to make a call here as to whether this is separate from the Tet Offensive or not. Could be argued either way, I think.
I consider it separate prelude to Tet. I've always wondered if the NVA were hoping to achieve something on the order of the Battle of Điện Biên Phủ. There's an argument to be made General Giap never intended it as anything more than a feint, a diversion to tie up U.S. troops. The breakout from KSCB was a tactical victory for the Marines (as was the Tet Offensive), and when they abandoned the base months later it was perplexing to many back home.

Last edited by a moderator:
29.09 Margaret O'Brien - Child Star

Margaret O'Brien (born January 15, 1937) is an American film, television and stage actress. Beginning a prolific career as a child actress in feature films at the age of four, O'Brien became one of the most popular child stars in cinema history, and was honored with a Juvenile Academy Award as the outstanding child actress of 1944.
My mom grew up across the street from her and they played together as children, until my mom moved away in the 5th grade.

I consider it separate prelude to Tet.
Agreed. The Khe San siege started nine days before Tet, so that's the winning argument to me. I guess because the siege was going on when the Tet Offensive started in earnest, Khe San tends to get lumped in.

First 3 posts are updated, and ALL PICKS ARE NOW DUE.

The following still owe picks:

AcerFC

Mixed drink

TV Holiday Special

rikishiboy

American military victory

Disco song

Jazz Recording

Non-tragic News story of the last 20 years

Short novel

tish156

NBA point guard

Tremendous Upside

70's sports star

Disgusting food

Worst movie with great actor

Usual21

American military defeat

Choreographer

Country song

Disgusting food

Duet song

Non-tragic news story of the last 20 years

Sandwich

19.10: "A Visit From St. Nicholas", American Poem

(No worries, Krista -- I realize I owe a write-up here)
The reasons I selected Clement Moore's "A Visit from St. Nicholas" are two-fold -- one appeals to the evelasting child in all of us, while the other appeals to our intellectual side and to an interest in the origins of one of America's greatest native myths."Twas the night before Christmas ..." is a refrain I've heard as long as I can remember in association with the Christmas season. Therefore, "A Visit from St. Nicholas" is a comfortable, familiar refrain, and a reliable remnder of good times past and present. It is the Ur-story of the kindly gift-giver, the "true" account that made clear what St. Nick did early each Christmas morning, how he did it, what he acted like, and more -- Even the reindeer were spelled out by name (and, boy, did I know them all as a tyke ... except where was Rudolph?). And it was all told through the eyes of a gob-smacked eyewitness. And us kids could certainly understand that wonder. The poem is ever associated with good memories -- kindergarten readings, animated Christmas specials, grade-school plays, and much more. In the hear and now, I enjoy passing the poem down to my children, first through board books, later through lavishly illustrated hardbacks, and now -- well, there's an app for that (for real -- scroll to bottom).

And now, for my scholarly interest in the poem:

The prolific skeptic Martin Gardner wrote an introduction to the 1976 paperback edition of L. Frank Baum's The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus (pp145-150 of link). In it he gave an engrossing scholarly summary of the origins of the American Santa Claus legend. Gardner recounts the Dutch settlers of New Amsterdam and how they brought their legend of Sinterklaas to the New World. Gardner also cites Washington Irving's (of Sleepy Hollow fame) 1809 history of New York City, which described the Dutch-American tradition of hanging stockings by the fire so that Saint Nicholas could fly over in a wagon and drop goodies down the chimney and into the waiting stockings.

Anyway. What Gardner credits Moore's poem with doing is to tie together a few loose ends and firm up the St. Nicholas legend into a form we recognize today as Santa Claus. Moore seems to have created the idea of St. Nick descending the chimney himself. The reindeer may have been part of the Dutch-American folklore, but the few earlier accounts there are show St. Nicholas being drawn by one reindeer. Moore's innovation was to describe an entire team of eight reindeer, each individually and indelibly named. Finally, Moore dresses St. Nicholas in fur-lined apparel and thus gives a non-subtle hint regarding the saint having a place of residence in the far north (later the North Pole).

Moore first wrote "A Visit from St. Nicholas" for his children in 1822, and it was published anonymously in a Troy, NY newspaper the next year. From there, the poem spread far and wide as an anonymous piece. Moore only acknowledged authorship in 1837, and -- at his children's behest -- included it an anthology of his own poetry in 1844. To quote Gardner: "None of the serious poems in his 1844 book is now remembered, but the "Visit", which Moore dashed off so carelessly, has become the greatest Christmas poem in the English language"

New York Times poetry critic X.J. Kennedy wrote a review of "Visit" in 1993, which is well worth the brief read. I'd like to quote a bit here to conclude:

Delving into John Hollander's recent Library of America anthology "American Poetry: The Nine-teenth Century," I was glad to find "A Visit From St. Nicholas" right there along with works by Whitman, Emily Dickinson and Jones Very. Professional deconstructionists may sneer, but popular demand has fixed the poem securely in our national heritage. If Mr. Hollander had left it out, it would have been missed. Statistics are scarce, but it seems likely that Moore's masterwork has been reprinted, recited and learned by heart more often than any other American poem -- and that goes for "The Raven," [redacted] and [redacted].

To be sure, mere popularity doesn't make a work of art great. If it did, then "September Morn," that delicate tribute to skinny-dipping once reproduced on calendars hung in barbershops and pool halls galore, would be a better painting than "Nude Descending a Staircase" any day. And yet a poem like Moore's that has stuck around for 171 years has to have something going for it.

13.10: Margarita, Mixed Drink
Was thinking this might be the #1, despite all the love for the martini.
Could be a contender for sure. Unfortunately the absence of write-up might hurt.

Herewith the write-up:The old-school recipe for the margarita cocktail, from the "Drink of the Month" article in the Dec 1953 Esquire:

1 ounce tequila

Dash of Triple Sec

Juice of 1/2 lime or lemon

Pour over crushed ice, stir. Rub the rim of a stem glass with rind of lemon or lime, spin in salt—pour, and sip.

There are a few competing versions of the margarita's origins, although all have a connection with Mexico. Today, the margarita is the most commonly-ordered tequila cocktail in the U.S. Gourmet magazine goes further and calls it the most popular drink in America.

The margarita is at the root of a few cocktail-making innovations that have spread throughout the great American cocktail recipe book.

a) lining the rim of a glass with salt/sugar. Salt for margaritas, of course.

b) blending with pulverized ice. These days, when a lot of people think of margarita, they think only of the "frozen concoction" Jimmy Buffet sang about. Most have likely never tried or even seen the original version..

c) creating variants on a theme by varying the fruit mixture or adding colored liqueurs. A popular example is the strawberry margarita.

And now, to close with a little rah-rah -- quoth the That's the Spirit! website:

Born and raised in Mexico, the margarita's personality reflects the flavor of its native land. Its fate has also been inextricably bound with tequila, a spirit that until recently was known as a coarse and fiery spirit that needed to be combined with fruit juice and sugar in order to be palatable. Tequila has become respectable — and not just in the sunny states that border Mexico, but all over the world.

One reason for the margarita's ascent to stardom is that it is an exceptionally versatile cocktail. It lends itself to several methods of preparation, and variations in fruit flavorings. It blends easily with liqueurs, and marries well with the taste of different type of ingredients.

There's a classic FFA thread surprisingly not drafted yet.
If you're thinking of the same one as me, it's a contender for #1. I nearly picked it, but instead chose Stoner Claus.
:goodposting:
CBD?
Yep.
:thumbup:
After drafting is over, you will be telling us which thread you're talking about, right?RIGHT?
Of course, although it's pretty easy to find with Google (seriously, it is).
So how would I find this using Google without knowing what it is? My Google-fu is strong, but not that strong.

There's a classic FFA thread surprisingly not drafted yet.
If you're thinking of the same one as me, it's a contender for #1. I nearly picked it, but instead chose Stoner Claus.
:goodposting:
CBD?
Yep.
:thumbup:
After drafting is over, you will be telling us which thread you're talking about, right?RIGHT?
Of course, although it's pretty easy to find with Google (seriously, it is).
So how would I find this using Google without knowing what it is? My Google-fu is strong, but not that strong.
Ah Grasshopper, use the "site:" command in the google search bar. Like this:
site:footballguys.com best thread ever

Frozen Grasshoppet- Mixed Drink

Being straight edge, I don't really know any other drink besides this one. When my wife and I went on our honeymoon, we paid an astronomic amount to be able to drink all you want. I didnt want to waste so much money so i said i would have one drink a day She suggested this drink since it doesn't have a ton of alcohol. It tasted like a mint chocolate chip milkshake.

I can't decide on my holiday special. I'll sleep on it and pick sometime over the weekend.

My :2cents: on the mulligan thing. I agree that mulligans suck. I also hate when judges chime in with commentary. But what really sent these drafts downhill is the actual judging IMO. That's why at this point, most of us (I think), just pick stuff we like to have and don't care what score it gets.

Awesome poem write-ups the past few days. :thumbup:

Anyone want to judge mixed drinks? I'll do it if no one steps up, but having taken on celebrity chef I have enough and the mixed drinks are kind of meh to me (the picks are very good, it's just me who is meh). Also since I didn't post real criteria there would be no bait-and-switch. So if anyone loves the category, that would be great.

Awesome poem write-ups the past few days. :thumbup:Anyone want to judge mixed drinks?
I'm totally doing my poem writeup soon.K4, I'm sure you'd do a great job, but I think we should offer it up GMTAN. That place is full drunks & alkies, and I think it would be fun to have an "outsider" judge for a change.

Awesome poem write-ups the past few days. :thumbup:Anyone want to judge mixed drinks?
I'm totally doing my poem writeup soon.K4, I'm sure you'd do a great job, but I think we should offer it up GMTAN. That place is full drunks & alkies, and I think it would be fun to have an "outsider" judge for a change.
I can do mixed drinks, I have years of drinking and bar tending experience.

It's yours

As much as I wanted to pick my favorite Hanukkah special, I cant break away from this

Emmett Otters Jug Band Christmas- Holiday Special

The draft is now over. We have some late picks still coming in. However, if you are judging a category that has been filled with all 13 picks, you can post your results when you are ready. No more mulligans from this point forward.

The draft is now over. We have some late picks still coming in. However, if you are judging a category that has been filled with all 13 picks, you can post your results when you are ready. No more mulligans from this point forward.
Somehow these always end right when I'm leaving the country. Will be gone beginning tomorrow but should be able to post my judging next weekend.

Updated:

rikishiboy

tish156

NBA point guard

Tremendous Upside

70's sports star

Disgusting food

Usual21

American military defeat

Choreographer

Country song

Disgusting food

Duet song

Sandwich

'timschochet said:
Updated:

rikishiboy

Tremendous Upside

70's sports star

Disgusting food

Usual21

American military defeat

Choreographer

Country song

Disgusting food

Duet song

Sandwich
bump

'tish156 said:
kevin johnson-best point guard
I'm not sure exactly where he'll end up (I'm the judge) but you couldn't have made a better pick at this point. Big-time sentimental favorite, which can't hurt. I was watching this game live. I absolutely lost my ####. This was Hakeem ####### Olajuwon here.
Yeah. Too bad he turned into something of a tool. I picked Iverson because I didn't want Johnson on my team.

'tish156 said:
I'm not sure exactly where he'll end up (I'm the judge) but you couldn't have made a better pick at this point. Big-time sentimental favorite, which can't hurt. I was watching this game live. I absolutely lost my ####. This was Hakeem ####### Olajuwon here.
Yeah. Too bad he turned into something of a tool. I picked Iverson because I didn't want Johnson on my team.
Wait. You picked Iverson because you didn't want a tool to be on your team?

Awesome poem write-ups the past few days. :thumbup:

Anyone want to judge mixed drinks?
It's yours
One thing krista specified early on is that write-ups will be rewarded, that criteria is still in play.Other criteria:

* Taste - deliciousness

* How hard to make at home

* How likely a bartender can make it right

* Fun to drink?

* Value for money - how drunk do I get for my $$$

* Modern/Obsolete?

I will be employing other drunks/bartenders to evaluate selections and will mix all at home on the 3rd/4th to evaluate further.

I owe Krista poem/drink writeups, which I should be able to get to sometime today / tonight.

Yea, tough week - got stuff going on tomorrow, then a party the 4th - there's a chance my two categories will not be judged until later this week / the weekend. But I will get them done.

'tish156 said:
Wait. You picked Iverson because you didn't want a tool to be on your team?
:P :P :P :P Limiting the choice to non-tools was something of a chore.

150 years ago today...

Oh, sorry, can't judge any of my three categories because GBs U21, TU, et al, are holding the conclusion of the draft hostage.

;)

I will be judging the mixed drink category tonight. All ingredients are purchased (the ones I didn't have) and 4 additional judges are recruited. If someone wants to do a late minute change, feel free during the day, but after 5pm Central judging will commence. :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread