What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Timdraft # 2 (1 Viewer)

Paul sucks to rank because he's so young. Even so, he ranks 3rd in apg, 6th in rpg, and 7th in ppg. In seven pro seasons he has 5 all-star games (more than KJ or Cheeks), 4 all-nba teams (more than Cheeks), 4 defensive team nods (more than 5 guys who played in the D-team era), has been in the top 10 in assists 7 times (more than Cheeks and Iverson and tied with KJ), and led the league in assists twice (more than Iverson, Frazier, Archibald, KJ, Payton, and Cheeks). Clearly if we do this draft in 5 years he's creeping into the top 5 if he has any postseason success at all, but I don't know if you know this but it's not five years from now. At least not yet. I'll put him ahead of Cheeks and KJ. I dinged compilers a bit in the ratings so I need to give Paul some credit for his awesome per year numbers, but can't give him too much since he's still in his prime. Seems fair to me.

Paul sucks to rank because he's so young. Even so, he ranks 3rd in apg, 6th in rpg, and 7th in ppg. In seven pro seasons he has 5 all-star games (more than KJ or Cheeks), 4 all-nba teams (more than Cheeks), 4 defensive team nods (more than 5 guys who played in the D-team era), has been in the top 10 in assists 7 times (more than Cheeks and Iverson and tied with KJ), and led the league in assists twice (more than Iverson, Frazier, Archibald, KJ, Payton, and Cheeks). Clearly if we do this draft in 5 years he's creeping into the top 5 if he has any postseason success at all, but I don't know if you know this but it's not five years from now. At least not yet. I'll put him ahead of Cheeks and KJ. I dinged compilers a bit in the ratings so I need to give Paul some credit for his awesome per year numbers, but can't give him too much since he's still in his prime. Seems fair to me.
That's fine. Please provide a final list, then. TIA

17 points- Bruno Sammartino

He was Lou Thesz perfected. In addition to being an accomplished mat wrestler, he also was a power guy that exuded a good amount of charisma for his time. Super popular with the fans in a time where the machismo that Gorgeous George invented wasn't quite yet being used yet. There were still a lot of stiffs in his time, and Bruno was the king for the late 60's and 70's. I mean, the guy held the WWWF Title for 8 years, and then when he regained the belt two years after he lost it, he held it for another four. Why? Because he's Bruno Sammartino dammit. He truly is the bridge between the Thesz era of mat wrestling and the era Hogan gave birth to where charisma was key. Oh, and speaking of Hogan...

14 points- Lou Thesz

Thesz was the first "The Man" of wrestling. I mean the guy was a monster back in his day. Guy worked his ### off and may be the best Greco-Roman wrestler of this draft. But much like Buddy Rogers, it's really hard to rank him any higher than here. Let's face it: who here has seen Lou Thesz wrestle? Anyone? Actually, HighBeams has and he says he's worthy of this spot, so there's one. His day was before anyone in this draft...in fact, he had to come out of retirement to beat Rogers for his 6th world title. Like wrestlers of his era, he wasn't asked to talk, so he was probably duller than dishwater there. But he was the first great wrestler and that definitely earns him a lot of credit.
Looking at the remainder of your list, I don't object to any of the modern giants being ranked above Thesz.I DO object, however, to Gorgeous George being ranked above Thesz. They are somewhat contemporaneous, and Thesz is roundly considered the greater, and more influential, wrestler.
Like I said in my write-up, George did more for modern wrestling than Thesz with his character. He set a mold. Thesz could outwrestle anyone in this draft in his sleep, I'll admit that. But George was no slouch either.
If that's the case, then Hulk Hogan had better be your 20. Because if you rank Hogan below the 20 due to his inability to wrestle as well as some of the other guys, then you are being mighty inconsistent here.
You talk like George was some bum. He wasn't. Most every wrestling fan would agree that George was no slouch in the ring and he's a MUCH better technical wrestler than Hogan.

14 points- Lou Thesz

Thesz was the first "The Man" of wrestling. I mean the guy was a monster back in his day. Guy worked his ### off and may be the best Greco-Roman wrestler of this draft. But much like Buddy Rogers, it's really hard to rank him any higher than here. Let's face it: who here has seen Lou Thesz wrestle? Anyone? Actually, HighBeams has and he says he's worthy of this spot, so there's one. His day was before anyone in this draft...in fact, he had to come out of retirement to beat Rogers for his 6th world title. Like wrestlers of his era, he wasn't asked to talk, so he was probably duller than dishwater there. But he was the first great wrestler and that definitely earns him a lot of credit.
Looking at the remainder of your list, I don't object to any of the modern giants being ranked above Thesz.I DO object, however, to Gorgeous George being ranked above Thesz. They are somewhat contemporaneous, and Thesz is roundly considered the greater, and more influential, wrestler.
Like I said in my write-up, George did more for modern wrestling than Thesz with his character. He set a mold. Thesz could outwrestle anyone in this draft in his sleep, I'll admit that. But George was no slouch either.
If that's the case, then Hulk Hogan had better be your 20. Because if you rank Hogan below the 20 due to his inability to wrestle as well as some of the other guys, then you are being mighty inconsistent here.
You talk like George was some bum. He wasn't. Most every wrestling fan would agree that George was no slouch in the ring and he's a MUCH better technical wrestler than Hogan.
He was a fine wrestler, but he wasn't in the same ballpark with Thesz. If you rank him above Thesz based on popularity, then you need to be consistent and rank Hogan at the top because Hogan was the most popular wrestler ever. If you rank Hogan behind others due to skill level, then there's no way George should be ranked above Thesz.

That's fine. Please provide a final list, then. TIA
I don't remember.

18 points- Hulk Hogan

Up until Hogan legdropped Iron Sheik for the WWF Title, wrestling hadn't seen an icon like Hogan. Not Thesz (sorry Tim), not George, not Bruno...no one. Hulk had it all. The look. They physique. The charisma. The mic ability (which some debate, but the guy was pretty good on the stick). He single-handedly spearheaded the biggest transitional era wrestling has ever seen. Gone were the days when mat work was the #1 requirement to be a superstar. Being able to captivate an audience became just as important, if not more over time. He was a merchandising machine. And when he started getting stale, he reinvented himself by going heel to help form the New World Order. It's that reinvention right there that put him ahead of Bruno and Rock in my rankings. Oh, and the fact that you cannot deny his ability to carry a company. But his poor ring work puts him behind the top two guys on this list.

Shuddup, tim. I'm learning about a subject I know nothing about, and you're an annoying distraction. We get it, you got robbed. Now take your 14 and go pout in the corner.

18 points- Hulk Hogan

Up until Hogan legdropped Iron Sheik for the WWF Title, wrestling hadn't seen an icon like Hogan. Not Thesz (sorry Tim), not George, not Bruno...no one. Hulk had it all. The look. They physique. The charisma. The mic ability (which some debate, but the guy was pretty good on the stick). He single-handedly spearheaded the biggest transitional era wrestling has ever seen. Gone were the days when mat work was the #1 requirement to be a superstar. Being able to captivate an audience became just as important, if not more over time. He was a merchandising machine. And when he started getting stale, he reinvented himself by going heel to help form the New World Order. It's that reinvention right there that put him ahead of Bruno and Rock in my rankings. Oh, and the fact that you cannot deny his ability to carry a company. But his poor ring work puts him behind the top two guys on this list.
:hot:

19 points- Steve Austin

Steve Austin was a total freaking anomaly. He washed out of WCW after years of misuse, only to have a cup of coffee in ECW before becoming Ted DiBiase's Ringmaster in WWF. The first couple years of Austin's WWF run weren't anything to run home about. But when he beat Jake Roberts in the King of the Ring and introduced the wrestling world to Austin 3:16, the legend was born. He was still a heel even after that infamous promo, but he was so polarizing, he not only turned face in his infamous match with the stoic Bret Hart, he managed to turn Bret Hart, THE flagbearer of the company for the past five or so years, heel. Like how Hogan reinvented the business, Austin reinvented it again by making the anti-hero awesome. And Austin was every bit as good as The Rock on the mic. He connected with the audience unlike anyone else in this draft because they related to him. Austin was "one of them". Now, his run was a bit on the short side, but he was the top dog in the biggest money making era this business has ever seen. And where he beats Hogan is that he was a pretty good worker. He wasn't elite in the ring, but he combined ability with showmanship very well.

20 points- Ric Flair

"To be the man, you have to beat the man. WOOOO!" Those words were said so many times by Ric Flair, but they were so true for so long. From the moment he won his first NWA World Heavyweight Belt from Dusty Rhodes in 1981 until he won the WWF Title for the first time in 1992, Ric Flair was easily the most well-rounded wrestler in the business. Period. Flair WAS the NWA territorial system in the 80's. He took what George and Rogers created and absolutely perfected it. Great promo, great charisma, and a damn fine worker. Never had the best physique, but with his character, he never needed to. Fans HATED him and there was no better man in history that was able to make a crowd pop for losing. And Flair helped so many guys because he was great at selling and he was great at putting over his opponent. Flair understood the business and he worked his ### off to be the best. Sure, he hung around too long like so many wrestlers, but in his peak, there was no one that had it all like he did. As much as Hogan and Austin did for babyfaces in this business, Flair and Flair alone did for heels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some notable wrestlers that didn't get picked: "Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker, Harley Race, Andre The Giant, Ricky Steamboat (for you wrestling ability types), Triple H, Terry Funk, Antonio Inoki. There's probably others, but those are the ones that came off the top of my head. Granted, we're talking lower-half guys here (HBK and Taker might have been closer to middle...not really sure), so good job drafting!

20 - magic

19 - oscar

18 - Cousy

17 - Stockton

16 - Isiah

15 - Kidd

14 - Iverson

13 - Payton

12 - Frazier

10 - Tiny

9 - Paul

8 - KJ

7 - Cheeks

And I know I said I'd listen to arguments but I changed my mind, which is the best argument of all.

11 points- "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers

The Original Nature Boy. Heyday was really before many wrestlers drafted. Great looking guy and could wrestle. But he has limited mic work, which does make a difference...especially with the other wrestlers drafted. When he did pick up a mic during his WWF run in the 1980's, he was drier than burnt toast. It may not be fair to rank Rogers so low, because he's really an orange to most of the apples in this draft, but I'm viewing wrestlers on their overall work, and Rogers would have had trouble after Hogan broke out. Another thing that hurts Rogers is that he's not even the best Nature Boy. In fact, the better Nature Boy was far more entertaining and even beat him in the ring. How can you be ranked highly if you're known as the "Second Best Nature Boy"? But the fact that he did pave the way for a Flair and others puts him above Moolah, Hart, and Piper.
Ultimately it's your rankings, but I felt Rogers was a little low. Maybe it's in my interpretation but I felt his "influence" was remarkable. Shoot, your #1 is a direct clone of his. Without Buddy there is no Ric. And while you knocked him for his mic skills yet he's often the one credited with crafting the art of promos that we've been accustomed to. I would think those aspects coupled with his in-ring achievements would have made for a higher finish. Am I saying he should be #1? No. But I think a top 5 would have been more accurate.

It's all good though.

11 points- "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers

The Original Nature Boy. Heyday was really before many wrestlers drafted. Great looking guy and could wrestle. But he has limited mic work, which does make a difference...especially with the other wrestlers drafted. When he did pick up a mic during his WWF run in the 1980's, he was drier than burnt toast. It may not be fair to rank Rogers so low, because he's really an orange to most of the apples in this draft, but I'm viewing wrestlers on their overall work, and Rogers would have had trouble after Hogan broke out. Another thing that hurts Rogers is that he's not even the best Nature Boy. In fact, the better Nature Boy was far more entertaining and even beat him in the ring. How can you be ranked highly if you're known as the "Second Best Nature Boy"? But the fact that he did pave the way for a Flair and others puts him above Moolah, Hart, and Piper.
Ultimately it's your rankings, but I felt Rogers was a little low. Maybe it's in my interpretation but I felt his "influence" was remarkable. Shoot, your #1 is a direct clone of his. Without Buddy there is no Ric. And while you knocked him for his mic skills yet he's often the one credited with crafting the art of promos that we've been accustomed to. I would think those aspects coupled with his in-ring achievements would have made for a higher finish. Am I saying he should be #1? No. But I think a top 5 would have been more accurate.

It's all good though.
I can see him slotted above Savage and Cena, but no way is he better than Thesz. He wasn't as dominant as Thesz was. And I can't see Rogers above anyone above Thesz either.

Rankings (after 9 categories)

143 wbaaoz

139 jwb

136 rikishiboy

134 timschochet

134 Tremendous Upside

133 BobbyLayne

132 Mister CIA

120 DougB

128 Usual21

120 Mrs. Rannous

114 tish156

112 DC Thunder

94 AcerFC

Next draft has to include "classic" wrestlers who were not picked in this one. I mean the guys of the 1980s or earlier from the "Rock & Wrestling" era, and perhaps split it into heels, faces and managers/valets.

Who's hungry...

Disgusting Food Rankings coming soon.

A few notable omissions:

Madagascar HissingCockroaches, Tarantulas, Scorpion, Bats

Of all that were selected, I've only ever eaten one. So...for what it is worth, this is based upon reading and what I imagine to be disgusting...

8 points - Rocky Mountain oysters

Rocky Mountain Oysters are bull calf #### used for human consumption.Sometimes pig or sheep #### are used.They are often deep-fried after being peeled, coated in flour,pepper and salt, and sometimes pounded flat. This delicacy is most often servedas an appetizer witha cocktail sauce dip.

It is a well-known noveltydish in parts of the American West and Western Canada wherecattle ranching isprevalent and castration of young animals is common ("prairieoysters" is the preferred name in Canada, where they may be served in a demi-glace, not deep-fried). In Oklahoma and North Texas, they are sometimes called calf fries but only if taken from very young animals.
I understand why people would change the name of this food, as that is really probably the most disgusting aspect of it. Once you get past the fact you're eating a bull's nuts, there really isn't anything that disgusting about this food. And the preparation sounds delicious...I mean, hell, you can deep fry just about anything and I might eat it before a football game.

9 points - Chitterlings

Chitterlings (file:///C:UsersdhAppDataLocalTempmsohtmlclip11clip_image002.gif /ˈtʃɪtlɪnz/; spelled chitlins or chittlins in eye dialect) are the intestines of a pig,although cattle andother animals' intestines are similarly used, that have been prepared as food.In various countries across the world, such food is prepared and eaten eitheras part of a daily diet, or at special events, holidays or religiousfestivities.

In the United States, chitterlings are an African American culinary tradition and a Southern culinary tradition sometimes called"soul food" cooking. In vernacular terms,chitterlings are often pronounced as chit'lins.

Chitterlings are carefullycleaned and rinsed several times before they are boiled or stewed for severalhours. A common practice is to place a halved onion in the pot to mitigate whatmany regard as a pungent, very unpleasant odor that can be particularly strong whenthe chitterlings begin to cook. Chitterlings sometimes are battered and friedafter the stewing process and commonly are served with cider vinegar and hotsauce as condiments.

Pigs intestines are pretty much a food source world wide, with each and every culture having their own unique preparation for them. I have actually had the southern variation mentioned above, and aside from the smell, they are pretty tasty. Not going to be part of my regular diet, but nothing that turns my nose up.

10 points - Head Cheese

Head cheese(AmE), or brawn (BrE), is a cold cut thatoriginated in Europe. A version pickled with vinegar is known as souse. Head cheese is not a cheese but a terrine ormeat jelly made with flesh from the head of a calf or pig (sometimes a sheep or cow),and often set in aspic.Which parts of the head are used can vary, but the brain, eyes, and ears areusually removed. The tongue, and sometimes even the feet and heart,may be included.

Head cheese may be flavored with onion, black pepper, allspice, bay leaf, salt,and vinegar. It is usually eaten cold or at roomtemperature as a luncheon meat. It can also be made fromquality trimmings from pork and veal, adding gelatin to the stock as a binder.

Historically, meat jellies weremade of the cleaned (all organs removed) head of the animal, which was simmeredto produce stock, apeasant food made since the Middle Ages. When cooled, the stock congealsbecause of the natural gelatin found in the skull. The aspic may need additionalgelatin, or more often, reduction to set properly.

Jellied meats are pretty tame. Spam is sold on shelves in every grocery store in America and that's pretty much what we are dealing with here. The fact that eyes, ears and brain are typically removed make this even less disgusting.

11 points - Ox Penis

In Western countries, Ox Penis is usuallydried and sold as dog treats, but in many Oriental nations, they are commonlyeaten by humans. The penis is generally cooked by steaming or deep frying, andcan also be eaten raw. Some westerners compare the tastes of some penises withovercooked squid

Again. This one is probably more disgusting because you're coming to terms with the fact that your eating a bull's ####. Why is the twig more disgusting than the berries? Well, because it is. This meat tends to be a bit tougher than the nards. I like squid...but overcooked squid that is actually penis? Good enough for 11 points.

12 points - Rats

Rat meat is a food that, while taboo in some cultures, is a dietary staplein others. Taboos include fears of disease or religious prohibition, but inmany places, the high number of rats has led to their incorporation into thelocal diets.

Rats are disgusting creatures...which is probably what makes rats rate so high here. But beyond that, there is no reason to fear the rat. It is merely meat. There is no disgusting preparation of the animal or unusual circumstance which makes this more or less disgusting than any other.

Combining these next two in the writeups

13 points - Lutefisk

Lutefisk is made from driedwhitefish (normally cod in Norway, but ling isalso used) prepared with lye in a sequence of particular treatments. Thewatering steps of these treatments differ slightly for salted/dried whitefishbecause of its high salt content.

The first treatment is to soakthe stockfish in cold water for five to six days (with the water changeddaily). The saturated stockfish is then soaked in an unchanged solution of coldwater and lye for an additional two days. The fish swells during this soaking,and its proteincontent decreases by more than 50percent producing a jelly-like consistency. When this treatment isfinished, the fish (saturated with lye) has a pH value of 11–12 and is therefore caustic. To make the fish edible, a finaltreatment of yet another four to six days of soaking in cold water (alsochanged daily) is needed. Eventually, the lutefisk is ready to be cooked.

14 points - Alaskan Stink Heads

the heads of King salmon are buriedin the ground in fermentation pits, put into plastic or wooden barrels, evenplastic food storage bags, and left to let nature do its thing for a few weeksor more. The heads are then harvested and consumed as a putty-ish mash.

“Stink heads” as a distinct ethnic cuisinehave been covered in various mainstream media the latest of which is The FoodNetwork’s “Bizarre Foods” show. In and of themselves salmon heads are notrepulsive, whole fish dishes are a legitimate part of rustic AND haute cuisineeverywhere and King salmon is a real world delicacy. What has struck the“gross-out” nerve is the overriding fact that much of the stink head prepprocess is less about fermentation and more about rot and decomposition. Thedish, by modern culinary standards, is nothing but rotten salmon heads, albeittreasured tribal fare. Imagine, a bucket load of large King Salmon heads leftoutside during the warm summer months for a few weeks….Outside the nativeAlaskan culture the stink head topic is nothing but a novelty, but health-wisethe tradition of stink head consumption poses a real and continuedchallenge to regional Alaskan healthcare professionals faced withfrequent and, sometimes serious, totally avoidable botulism cases.

I went back and forth on whether or not it was more or less disgusting to bathe a food product in poisonous lye before consumption. In the end, I decided that soaking the fish in lye was disgusting, but it was done to kill off bacteria and whatnot and the fish was subsequently cleansed of the lye before consumption...and therefore, the lye made the dish LESS disgusting than the pure decomposition of the Stink Heads. Add to that the fact that the lutefisk isn't just the head of the fish, but the meatier portions and I had to give the nod to the Alaskan Stink Head here.

The next group are all severely disgusting...differentiating is pretty difficult...

15 points - Kiviak

Kiviakis a traditional wintertime Inuit food from Greenland that is made of auks preserved in the hollowed-out body ofa seal.

Around 500 auks are put into the seal skin intact, including beaks,feet and feathers, before as much air as possible is removed from the sealskin, which is then sewn up and sealed with grease, with a large rock placed ontop to keep the air content low. Over the course of several months, the birds ferment,and are then eaten during the Greenlandic winter, particularly on birthdays and weddings.

Reading about this one, I was pretty sure I was going to give it the 20 pointer early on. The preparation just sounds completely disgusting. But upon further reading, most people who have tried this from outside of the natives, have found it relatively palatable with the taste and consistency of a sharp cheese. I shudder to think about actually popping one of the heads off of one of the auks and sucking out the fermented insides...but supposedly...pretty good stuff.

16 points - Balut

A balut is a fertilizedduckembryothatis boiled and eaten in the shell. Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiacand considered a high-protein, hearty snack,balut are mostly sold by street vendors in the regions where they areavailable. It is commonly sold as streetfood in the Philippines. They are common, everyday food in countries in Southeast Asia, such as Laos, Cambodia(pong tia koon ពងទាកូន in Cambodian)[1]and Vietnam(trứng vịt lộn or hộtvịt lộn in Vietnamese). They are often served with beer.

In the Philippines, baluteaters prefer salt and/or a chili,garlic and vinegar (white or coconut sap) mixture to season their eggs. Theeggs are savored for their balance of textures and flavors; the brothsurrounding the embryo is sipped from the egg before the shell is peeled, and the yolkandyoung chick inside can be eaten. All of the contents of the egg may beconsumed, although the white may remain uneaten; depending on the age of thefertilized egg, the white may have an unappetizing cartilaginous toughness. Inthe Philippines, balut have recently entered haute cuisine by being served as appetizers inrestaurants, cooked adobostyle, fried in omelettesor even used as filling in baked pastries. InVietnam, balut are eaten with a pinch of salt,lemon juice, plus ground pepper and Vietnamesemintleaves (southern Vietnamese style). In Cambodia,balut are eaten while still warm in the shell and are served

If I can get past auks fermented inside a greased seal, I suppose I can eat a fertilized duck embryo. It isn't that I haven't had any of the individual parts of a balut before, it is just that I've never had them at this stage...and in this condition. I love egg. I love duck. This should be alright too...right? Plus, they're often served with beer (and I hope copious amounts of it.)

17 points - Escamoles

Escamoles are the larvae of ants ofthe genus Liometopum, harvested from the roots ofthe agave (tequila)or maguey (mezcal) plant in Mexico. In someforms of Mexican cuisine, escamoles are considered a delicacy and aresometimes referred to as "insect caviar". They have a cottagecheese-like consistency and taste buttery, yet slightly nutty.

Speaking of eggs....

Ugh. I know I just said I love egg. But ANT egg? I can't stand the consistency of cottage cheese and I'm not sure I get over the fact that I am consuming hundreds of poisonous ant larvae.

18 points - Sheep's Head

Smalahove(also called Smalehovud or Skjelte) is a Western Norwegiantraditional dish made from a sheep's head, originallyeaten before Christmas.The skin and fleece of the head is torched, thebrain removed, and the head is salted, sometimes smoked, and dried. The head is boiledor steamedforabout 3 hours and served with mashed rutabagaand potatoes. In some preparations, the brain is cooked insidethe skull and then eaten with a spoon or fried.One half of a head is oneserving. The ear and eye are normally eaten first, as they are the fattiestarea and are best eaten warm. The head is often eaten from the front to theback, working around the bones of the skull.
Not sure I want to eat a dish that looks back at me. The ear and the eye are normally eaten first...really? You start with those and people actually keep going? No thank you. I don't want any eye juice from a sheep. Sure...why not cook the brains in there to and spoon them out...

19 points - Casu Marzu

Casu marzu (also called casu modde, casucundídu, casu fràzigu in Sardinian language, or in Italian formaggiomarcio, "rotten cheese") is a traditional Sardinian sheep milk cheese, notable forcontaining live insect larvae. It is found mainly in Sardinia,Italy.Derived from Pecorino, casumarzu goes beyond typical fermentation to a stage most wouldconsider decomposition, brought about by the digestive actionof the larvae of the cheese fly Piophila casei. These larvae aredeliberately introduced to the cheese, promoting an advanced level offermentation and breaking down of the cheese's fats. Thetexture of the cheese becomes very soft, with some liquid (called lagrima,from Latin for"tear") seeping out. The larvae themselves appear as translucentwhite worms, about 8 millimetres (0.3 in) long. Whendisturbed, the larvae can launch themselves for distances up to 15 centimetres(6 in). Some people clear the larvae from the cheese before consumingwhile others do not

Casu marzu is created byleaving whole Pecorino cheesesoutside with part of the rindremovedto allow the eggs of thecheese flyPiophila caseito be laid in the cheese. A female Piophila casei can lay more than five hundred eggs atone time.The eggs hatch and the larvae begin to eatthrough the cheese.The acid from the maggots' digestive systembreaks down the cheese's fats,making the texture of the cheese very soft; bythe time it is ready for consumption, a typical casu marzu will containthousands of these maggots.
It's just cheese, right? Sorry. I don't ever want to have to worry about maggots jumping off of anything that I am presently eating. The fact that these larvae are deliberately introduced to the cheese to liquefy it pretty much insures that I will never be eating it.

20 pts- With a Little Help From My Friends (Joe Cocker, original version by the Beatles)

This gets the 20 because I consider it the perfect cover song- it is essentially the same song as the original, yet it is totally different. Cocker's vocals are magnificent, and the guitar work is exemplary. It's all subjective, but for me this is the top of the list.
my first 20 pointer? and for an awesome category

20 points - Hakarl

Hákarlor kæsturhákarl (Icelandicpronunciation: [ˈhauːkʰadl̥]) (Icelandic for "shark") is a food from Iceland consistingof a Greenland- orbasking shark which has been cured with a particular fermentation process and hung to dry for four tofive months. Hákarl is served as part of a þorramatur, a selection of traditional Icelandic food served at þorrablót in midwinter. Hákarl is, however,readily available in Icelandic stores all year round and is eaten all yearround.

The Greenland shark itself is poisonous when fresh due toa high content of urea and trimethylamine oxide,but may be consumed after being processed (see below). It has a particularammonia smell, similar to many cleaning products. It is often served in cubes ontoothpicks. Those new to it will usually gaginvoluntarily on the first attempt to eat it due to the high ammonia content. First-timersare sometimes advised to pinch their nose while taking the first bite as thesmell is much stronger than the taste. It is often eaten with a shot of thelocal spirit, atype of akvavit, called brennivín. Eating hákarl is often associatedwith hardiness and strength.

This one has it all...an unusual food (shark), which is inedible (due to high piss content) until a disgusting preparation (fermentation for five months) produces a food that most agree smells and tastes like cleaning products. The best thing this food has going for it is that it is consumed with a local spirit. I can appreciate the hunger that must have gripped the Icelandic people to the point where they developed this food, but haven't we grown enough as a society to put this one to bed?

16 points - Balut
:confused: I've had this and it's not bad at all. :mellow:
So I've heard. I've only every tried one of the 'disgusting foods'.Many of these may not ACTUALLY be disgusting in the consumption, but it there is a certain psychological barrier to consuming a duck fetus.

I think it's rated pretty accurately...
I'd eat this again, but would not eat the Kiviak, Alaskan Stink head or Lutefisk. I think 13 pts is more accurate as I hold it around the same spot as Lutefisk. I would rank Lutefisk higher, since there's absolutely no taste or purpose to eat it, while Balut can be quite tasty.

16 points - Balut
So I've heard. I've only every tried one of the 'disgusting foods'.Many of these may not ACTUALLY be disgusting in the consumption, but it there is a certain psychological barrier to consuming a duck fetus.

I'd eat this again, but would not eat the Kiviak, Alaskan Stink head or Lutefisk. I think 13 pts is more accurate as I hold it around the same spot as Lutefisk. I would rank Lutefisk higher, since there's absolutely no taste or purpose to eat it, while Balut can be quite tasty.
Fair enough. But you've had the benefit of eating them before. I forewarned everyone that these were my rankings based upon readings and perception. More people rate balut more disgusting than kiviak from what I've read.

16 points - Balut

Fair enough. But you've had the benefit of eating them before. I forewarned everyone that these were my rankings based upon readings and perception. More people rate balut more disgusting than kiviak from what I've read.
Gotcha... I'm just not a fan of the fermented food. Like I said before, I have had most of the dishes, and some aren't bad, once you get over any silly psychological barriers.

16 points - Balut

Gotcha... I'm just not a fan of the fermented food. Like I said before, I have had most of the dishes, and some aren't bad, once you get over any silly psychological barriers.
I'd be willing to try any of them for the experience, but the top 4 truly make my stomach turn.

14 points- Lou Thesz

I'm not the biggest wrestling guy and I'm sure the category isn't just based on popularity but I never heard of Lou Thesz, but I do know all about Gorgeous George.

I'd be willing to try any of them for the experience, but the top 4 truly make my stomach turn.
This would be my ranking, from least to most disgusting:Nothing against these really. I'd eat them again without worrying too much

12 points - Rats

8 points - Rocky Mountain oysters

11 points - Ox Penis

10 points - Head Cheese

16 points - Balut

17 points - Escamoles

18 points - Sheep's Head

----------------------------------

These are just tasteless and pointless to me, but nothing really against them

9 points - Chitterlings

13 points - Lutefisk

----------------------------------

Truly disgusting dishes to me...

19 points - Casu Marzu

14 points - Alaskan Stink Heads

15 points - Kiviak

20 points - Hakarl

I'd eat a sheep's face right off.Iverson ranked too high, imo. Unless you get extra points for being cancerous to your team.
Yeah, I don't really mind the sheep's head. Only dish I've ever turned away when put in front of me was dog. I just couldn't eat it. :mellow:
Have you had horse? I've always wanted to try horse.
Yeah, I've had a lot of that, both steaks, burgers and cold cuts. I much prefer cold cuts, but otherwise horse isn't anything special. So many other tasty meats to eat.

Rankings (after 10 categories)

159 wbaaoz

155 rikishiboy

150 BobbyLayne

150 Mister CIA

150 timschochet

149 jwb

148 Tremendous Upside

140 DougB

136 Usual21

133 Mrs. Rannous

126 tish156