What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Timdraft # 2 (1 Viewer)

Really expected the Honeymooners to do better. All-time classic show, despite only having 39 "real" episodes (but arguably many more "lost" episodes that could fill several seasons.)

Edit: not complaining - I just expected better for an all-time classic. Carry on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rankings (after 16 categories)

245 wbaaoz

243 timschochet

242 rikishiboy

236 Mister CIA

229 BobbyLayne

229 Usual21

225 Tremendous Upside

224 DougB

219 jwb

219 Mrs. Rannous

204 tish156

199 AcerFC

191 DC Thunder

8 pts. - Nigella Lawson – Someone has to come in last, and in this case it’s the person who’s not actually a chef or cook. She’s a journalist who after many years of writing decided to host a cooking show. Scores lower on the celebrity scale than most on this list, and not being a chef places her in last place.
Blasphemy.

'simey said:
'Keerock said:
09 - Law and Order SVU

Does not truly qualify under the guidelines I set... specifically having a character(s) in the spinoff that was in the original.
:penalty: It does qualify under those guidelines. Captain Donald Cragen (played by Dann Florek) was the original captain on Law and Order. He played that role from 1990 to 1993. He got fired after season three, because NBC wanted more female cast members. He then reappeared as the same character in a Law and Order TV Movie in 1998. In 1999, he reprised his role as Captain Donald "Don" Cragen during the 1999 debut of Law and Order SVU. He has been a regular on SVU since.
Also, Detective John Munch from the great TV cop drama, Homicide.

This [first] season also featured a few crossovers with the original series. Angie Harmon portrayed ADA Abbie Carmichael for six episodes. Jerry Orbach (Det. Lennie Briscoe) and Jesse L. Martin (Det. Ed Green) also appeared in a few episodes. Almost the entire case of the original series also appeared in the crossover episode "Entitled".

Halfway through the season, Richard Belzer reprised his role of Munch in Homicide: The Movie, which briefly shows his character out on a case in his SVU context in New York.

'Keerock said:
Rankings for TV Half Hour Comedy:

20 - Seinfeld

19 - Friends

18 - King of Queens

17 - Modern Family

16 - The Daily Show with John Stewart

15 - That 70s Show

14 - Curb Your Enthusiasm

13 - Home Improvement

12 - 30 Rock

11 - Arrested Development

10 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

09 - Chappelle Show

08 - The Office (UK)

Will provide commentary later.
WOOF

'Keerock said:
Rankings for Best Junk Food:
How would Cheez-its or or Cheese Nips have ranked? I nearly went this direction, but I had a hunch either pick would have been devalued by the other brand. If not for that, I think it's a top 3.

'Keerock said:
Rankings for Best Junk Food:
How would Cheez-its or or Cheese Nips have ranked? I nearly went this direction, but I had a hunch either pick would have been devalued by the other brand. If not for that, I think it's a top 3.
I'm a big fan/eater of Cheez-its (many flavors)... it would have done well. Probably in the 15 pt range. Cheese Nips, not so much.

Great Actor / Bad Movie

8 points - Xanadu

Movie: Xanadu Actor: Gene Kelly

Movie: Rated 4.5/10.0 onimdb. 39%/58% Rotten Tomatoes

Highlights: Biggest Role– Don Lockwood in “Singin’ In The Rain” - 0 Oscars.

Role: Danny McGuire Quote:“Where Alph, the sacred river, ran throughcaverns measureless to man, down to a sunless sea. Yes, Xanadu

A child of the late 70s/80s, I never thought of this as a “horriblemovie” and based upon its relative Rotten Tomatoes ranking, it doesn’t fit wellwith the others nominated here.Maybe itis just the thing I had for Olivia Newton-John back in the day.Also, while Gene Kelly is a tremendousmusical actor, I think he falls at/near the bottom of the pile with the groupnominated here.

9 points - Jack and Jill

Movie: Jack and Jill Actor: Al Pacino

Movie: Rated 3.4/10.0 onimdb. 3%/39% Rotten Tomatoes

Highlights: Biggest Role– Michael in “The Godfather” / TonyMontana in “Scarface” - 1 Oscar.

Role: Himself. Quote: Referring to his broken Oscars andwhether he has others – “You'd thinkit, but oddly enough, I don't.

A piece of steaming dungof a movie, but this wasn’t a feature role for Pacino, it was a cameo of himplaying himself and poking some fun in that fashion. For those reasons, I can’t score this one toohigh.

10 points - Dungeons and Dragons

Movie: Dungeons and Dragons Actor: Jeremy Irons

Movie: Rated 3.6/10.0 onimdb. 10%/29% Rotten Tomatoes

Highlights: Biggest Role– Claus von Bulow in “Reversal of Fortune” - 1 Oscar.

Role: Profion Quote:“Let their blood rain from the sky! ”

A great actor, I placeJeremy Irons just below Kingsley and Whittaker. A bad movie, but let’s remember, he was also in Pink Panther 2 (the onewith Steve Martin). Not a lot to say, Ijust don’t think the good/bad dichotomy here is strong enough for a high score.

11 points - Battlefield Earth

Movie: Battlefield Earth Actor:Forrest Whitaker

Movie: Rated 2.4/10.0 onimdb. 2%/14% Rotten Tomatoes

Highlights: Biggest Role– Idi Amin in "The Last King of Scotland" - 1 Oscar.

Role: Ker. Quote: "Ooh. I can see that "

I think Forrest Whitakeris a tremendous actor. But I'm not surehe fits with the ranks of some others here. A truly terrible movie, with only 14% of non-critics liking it, itcertainly fits the bad movie mold. Andas an Oscar winner, he fits the great actor category. I just can't seem to put him with the likesof Olivier, Brando, or Hanks. Add tothat the lack of dialogue for the character, and that results in a middlingranking.

12 points - The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle

Movie: The Adventures ofRocky and Bullwinkle Actor: RobertDeNiro

Movie: Rated 4.1/10.0 onimdb. 43%/23% Rotten Tomatoes

Highlights: Biggest Role– Jake LaMotta in “Raging Bull” - 2Oscars.

Role: Fearless Leader Quote:“There has never been a way to actually destroya cartoon character until now.”

This film scored prettywell among critics and is the only film on the list to score higher fromcritics than viewers…and with good reason. The comedy here is pretty self-reflexive and sophisticated (for a comedybased upon an old cartoon). Certainly atop notch actor. Probably the largestquantity of really solid movies/roles of anyone on the list (particularlyearlier in his career). Later roles haveshown that he can take himself and his ‘persona’ a little less seriously, as hedoes here and in the DirectTV commercials.

13 points - On Deadly Ground

Movie: On Deadly Ground Actor: Michael Caine

Movie: Rated 3.9/10.0 onimdb. 0%/44% Rotten Tomatoes

Highlights: Biggest Role– Eliot in “Hannah & Her Sisters” -2 Oscars.

Role: Michael Jennings Quote:“Is this the one who's got you all concernedabout the dirty snow? Jesus, Forrest! You and me, we bought hookers better thanthis for five bucks in Bangkok! ”

The dialogue here is even worse than JawsIV, but the Stephen Segal fans must have turned out in droves as it scored awhopping 44% from non-critics. Big bonuspoints for the terrible, horrible, cheesy dialogue, but overall not a badenough movie for an actor that has quite a few bad movies on his resume.

14 points - Jaws IV

Movie: Jaws IV: The Revenge Actor: Michael Caine

Movie: Rated 2.7/10.0 onimdb. 0%/29% Rotten Tomatoes

Highlights: Biggest Role– Eliot in “Hannah & Her Sisters” -2 Oscars.

Role: HoagieNewcombe. Quote: “When I get back, remind to tell you about thetime I took 100 nuns to Nairobi! ”

Part of the Jawsfranchise, this one appears to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Cheesy and full of terrible dialogue, MichaelCaine certainly doesn’t seem to belong here. A two-time Oscar winning character actor, however, Caine is at noshortage for films in which he’s appeared…and while he doesn’t appear to belonghere, he also doesn’t appear to belong in Journey 2: The MysteriousIsland. Bonus points because he missedpicking up his Oscar for Hannah & Her Sisters because he was on setshooting Jaws IV.

15 points - Bloodrayne

Movie: BloodRayne Actor:Ben Kingsley

Movie: Rated 2.8/10.0 onimdb. 4%/30% Rotten Tomatoes

Highlights: Biggest Role– Ghandi in “Ghandi” - 1 Oscar.

Role: Kagan Quote: “Ungrateful #####

Kingsley is definitely a strong actor…somewhere just belowthe Oliver, Brando, Hanks…he’s not really a lead here, however…a solidly badmovie, but liked by almost a third of non-critics. Doesn’t help that he’s also in Prince ofPersia (Not terrible. Not great).

16 points - Caligula

Movie: Caligula Actor: Peter O’Toole

Movie: Rated 5.0/10.0 on imdb. 21% (critics)/39% audience on Rotten Tomatoes

Highlights: Biggest Role– T.E. Lawrence in “Lawrence of Arabia.” 0 Oscars.

Role: Tiberius Quote: “Do you prefernymphs to satyrs? “

Not the title role, but an important character in thisfamously bad story about the Roman emperor Caligula. No Oscars, O’Toole was avery good actor, but not of the caliber of some others nominated herein.

17 points - Christopher Columbus: The Discovery

Movie: ChristopherColumbus, the DiscoveryActor: MarlonBrandoMovie: Rated 4.3/10.0 onimdb. 8%/18% Rotten Tomatoes

Highlights: Biggest Role– Don Vito Corleone in “The Godfather” -2 Oscars.

Role: Tomas deTorquemada. Quote: None found.

I don’t even rememberthis movie, it was apparently THAT bad. Notthe title role. Brando is widelyconsidered one of the greatest actors of his era. What hurts him in this category is that hewasn’t in just one stinker. He was inquite a few.

18 points - The Island of Dr. Moreau

Movie: The Island of Dr.MoureauActor: Marlon BrandoMovie: Rated 4.2/10.0 onimdb. 23%/26% Rotten Tomatoes

Highlights: Biggest Role– Don Vito Corleone in “The Godfather” -2 Oscars.

Role: Dr. Moreau. Quote: “I have seen the devil in my microscope, and I have chained him.”

I saw this one in thetheater, really hoping it would be good. Alas, it was not. UnlikeChristopher Columbus, Brando plays the lead/title character. The fact that this is the second movie of histhat was nominated weighs against both of the movies.

19 points - Bonfire of the Vanities

Movie: The Bonfire ofthe Vanities Actor: Tom Hanks

Movie: Rated 5.2/10.0 onimdb. 23%/27% Rotten Tomatoes

Highlights: Biggest Role– Forrest Gump in “Forrest Gump” - 2Oscars.

Role: Sherman McCoy Quote: “I suppose we could still go to the police. We could get a very talentedlawyer...

According to therankings, this movie isn’t as bad as some of those listed here, but I’ve seenit…and trust me, it is BAD. Bonus pointsfor Hanks being the lead in this nightmare. Also, I’m a huge fan of Hanks, so I don’t think he’s been in manystinkers. Yes, I even liked “The ‘Burbs”and “Punchline” Heavily decorated andtwo Oscars. And a great book too…how didthis movie flop so badly.

20 points - Inchon

Movie: Inchon Actor: Sir Lawrence Olivier

Movie: Rated 2.9/10.0 onimdb. NR/23% Rotten Tomatoes

Highlights: Biggest Role– Ezra Lieberman in “The Boys From Brazil” - 1 Oscar.

Role: General DouglasMacArthur. Quote: None found.

Another clear stinker ofa movie…and if Brando was widely considered ONE of the greatest actors of hisera, Olivier was considered THE greatest actor of his. Much of Olivier’s brilliance, however, was inacting for the stage. Playing the leadin Inchon, however, did not seem to help this film at all.

Summary:

20 points - Inchon

19 points - Bonfire of the Vanities

18 points - The Island of Dr. Moreau

17 points - Christopher Columbus: The Discovery

16 points - Caligula

15 points - Bloodrayne

14 points - Jaws IV

13 points - On Deadly Ground

12 points - The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle

11 points - Battlefield Earth

10 points - Dungeons and Dragons

9 points - Jack and Jill

8 points - Xanadu

Much of Olivier's brilliance, however, was inacting for the stage.
Olivier was also nominated for the Best Actor Academy Award nine times, Best Supporting Actor once, and Best Director once (for 1948's Hamlet). He has four statuettes total -- Best Actor for Hamlet, Best Picture for Hamlet (Olivier was also the sole producer), and honorary awards in 1947 and 1978.

Much of Olivier's brilliance, however, was inacting for the stage.
Olivier was also nominated for the Best Actor Academy Award nine times, Best Supporting Actor once, and Best Director once (for 1948's Hamlet). He has four statuettes total -- Best Actor for Hamlet, Best Picture for Hamlet (Olivier was also the sole producer), and honorary awards in 1947 and 1978.
You're not arguing against the ranking....are you?

My old man took me to see Inchon in the theater. Early 80s? Think I had been out of the house for a few years and he was looking to bond. It was the first I walked out of a movie (dad's idea). Total epiphany - when something sucks really bad, cut your losses. Thank you, Pops.

My old man took me to see Inchon in the theater. Early 80s? Think I had been out of the house for a few years and he was looking to bond. It was the first I walked out of a movie (dad's idea). Total epiphany - when something sucks really bad, cut your losses. Thank you, Pops.
:thumbup:

This was the hardest category for me to rank, of the three I judged. Apologies for its tardiness and to anyone who feels slighted.

i can honestly say of this list i have only seen jack and jill (which is why i picked it)and bonfire of the vanities, but now i dont have any plans to see the rest!

Rankings (after 17 categories)

258 wbaaoz

254 timschochet

253 Mister CIA

252 rikishiboy

248 BobbyLayne

244 DougB

244 Usual21

237 Tremendous Upside

233 Mrs. Rannous

227 jwb

215 AcerFC

213 tish156

209 DC Thunder

:lmao: In what universe is King of Queens an 18 pointer. I hope that was a joke post.
This universe. No joke. Based on the criteria, it rated out and finished in the group with Modern Family and That 70's Show (nothing really could touch Seinfeld and Friends). It had a much longer run than Modern Family and was higher rated than 70's. To tip the scale, it's one of my favorite shows to watch in syndication. Not that I need to, but I'll defend that placement all day long.

Put out the velvet ropes, and spin up the disco ball. It's time for disco songs.

8pts - Super Freak - Rick James

I love this song, but it's a funk/soul song. Since the category is disco, I had to rank it last, even though it's way better than several of the other choices.

9pts - Turn the Beat Around - Vicki Sue Robinson

I also really like this song, but Vicki Sue just doesn't have the vocal chops to pull this off. Gloria Estefan made everyone forget about this version when she covered it in 1994. It reached #10 on the Billboard Top 100.

10pts - Disco Inferno - The Trammps

Now we're really into the groove. This reached 11 on the charts. The only reason this isn't higher is that it didn't do as well as the ones above it.

11pts - Heart of Glass - Blondie

The counter-intuitive New Wave/dicso entry. It went gold and reached #1 on the charts. "We could've made it cruising, yeah."

12pts - Dancing Queen - ABBA

I bet I get roasted for this one, but I really don't think much of this song. It reached #1 and was certified gold. I find the lyrics about as juvenile as a lot of ABBA's stuff. I really liked "Waterloo", but then they just made the same song over and over.

"You are the Dancing Queen, young and sweet, only seventeen

Dancing Queen, feel the beat from the tambourine."

Really? It sounds like a twelve-year-old wrote it. More importantly, it just isn't as iconic disco-wise as the songs above.

13pts - Knock on Wood - Amii Stewart

This was originally a soul song written by Eddie Floyd and Steve Cropper of Stax Records. It works a whole lot better as a disco song. It's musically and lyrically complex, but still remains very dancable. Charted #1.

14pts - Last Dance - Donna Summer

The only song on this list to win an Oscar. It appeared in one of the worst movies ever made, Thank God It's Friday. Yeuch. Charted #3, certified gold. The top disco song of 1978.

15pts - Le Freak - Chic

This hit #1 three separate times. Certified gold.

This song commemorates Studio 54 for its notoriously long customer waiting lines, exclusive clientele, and discourteous doormen. Concerning the history of the song, guitarist Nile Rodgers later stated that the song was devised during New Year's Eve of 1977, as a result of him and bassist Bernard Edwards being refused entrance to Studio 54, where they had been invited by Grace Jones, due to Jones' failure to notify the nightclub's staff. He said the lyrics of the refrain were originally "#### off!" rather than "Freak out!"
Out of such stuff is music history made.

16pts - Best of My Love - The Emotions

Charted #1, went platinum. This one I really didn't remember until I found

This one is a true anthem. And you can dance to it (assuming you can dance, of course.)

Disco songs

8pts - Superfreak

9pts - Turn the Beat Around

10pts - Disco Inferno

11pts - Heart of Glass

12pts - Dancing Queen

13pts - Knock on Wood

14pts - Last Dance

15pts - Le Freak

16pts - Best of My Love

17pts - YMCA

18pts - Stayin' Alive

19pts - Hot Stuff

20pts - I Will Survive

Other songs that I missed:

Don't Leave me This Way

Night Fever

That's the Way I Like it

Shake Your Booty

I Feel Love (I would have picked this because I love it, but it's really not lyrically complex.)

Funkytown

Love to Love You

Other songs that I missed:Don't Leave me This WayNight FeverThat's the Way I Like itShake Your BootyI Feel Love (I would have picked this because I love it, but it's really not lyrically complex.)FunkytownLove to Love You
At least nobody took "Hot Legs" or "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?"

Fun to discuss stuff like this on a morning like this one.

"We are Family" by Sister Sledge should have been selected. A classic, and it came to represent the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Rankings (after 18 categories)

273 wbaaoz

270 timschochet

267 BobbyLayne

267 Mister CIA

264 DougB

260 rikishiboy

256 Usual21

247 Tremendous Upside

246 Mrs. Rannous

244 jwb

231 tish156