What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom Brady's Record Breaking Year (1 Viewer)

Sweeper

Footballguy
This year Brady looks fantastic. Calm, cool collected and he has some serious support offensively.

I honestly think that Brady is going to have a career season this year. Yards/TD/Completions/Rating.

Everyone around him is going to benefit as well. I am willing to bet (barring injury) Moss has the best season of his career and Wes Welker (as a #2) puts up fantastic #'s all season long.

After 3 games he is 70/88, has 887 yards , 10 TD/ 1 INT. I'll revisit this thread from time to time to see just how well he can handle this pace.

:lmao:

Brady has a history of coming out shooting lights out - then the weather changes, the games intensify and the running game becomes more of a focal point. Enjoy it while it lasts... which is not to say Brady won't be a top 5-8 QB over the last half/third of the season, but expectations should be tempered a bit at least.

Agreed that he hasn't been tested all that much but I do believe that he is going to fight through and over all the obstacles and keep up this pace.

As far as changing weather, he is used to playing in New England, outdoors and don't see this as much of an obstacle.

This year Brady looks fantastic. Calm, cool collected and he has some serious support offensively. I honestly think that Brady is going to have a career season this year. Yards/TD/Completions/Rating. Everyone around him is going to benefit as well. I am willing to bet (barring injury) Moss has the best season of his career and Wes Welker (as a #2) puts up fantastic #'s all season long. After 3 games he is 70/88, has 887 yards , 10 TD/ 1 INT. I'll revisit this thread from time to time to see just how well he can handle this pace.
Not exactly going out on a limb here.Brady would need a 92.7 QBR to have the best QBR of his career. If Brady over the next thirteen games puts up the exact stats he did from his first season starting, he would have a 96.5 QBR for the season. So unless you think Brady is about to play worse for the rest of the season than he's ever played in a season before, he's automatically going to have the best year of his career.

The title was talking about breaking records, but then you didn't follow that up with any specific records you think will be broken.

Agreed that he hasn't been tested all that much but I do believe that he is going to fight through and over all the obstacles and keep up this pace. As far as changing weather, he is used to playing in New England, outdoors and don't see this as much of an obstacle.
Someone likely will have the stats to support or contradict my observation, but having owned him in the past it does seem that the end of the season is not like the beginning for Brady. Speaking from my own personal experience owning him or following him for trade purposes.

Probably have a career year, but dont expect 3+ TDs per game the rest of the way. Patriots traditionally have run the ball 50%+ more in the 2nd half of the season.

mbuehner said:
Probably have a career year, but dont expect 3+ TDs per game the rest of the way. Patriots traditionally have run the ball 50%+ more in the 2nd half of the season.
That was before Randy Moss. He'll change things as he already has so far this season. The Patriots are on rampage right now(might be due to Spygate). They're running up the score on people. Brady didn't need to throw a bomb to Moss when the Patriots were up 31-7 but he did anyway. That's the kind of team they are this year. And that's playing teams that can't fight back. Imagine if he's in a shootout.I don't know how he's going to do this season but outside of 5,000 yards I don't think there's any record that Tom Brady can't break in 07.

mbuehner said:
That was before Randy Moss. He'll change things as he already has so far this season. The Patriots are on rampage right now(might be due to Spygate). They're running up the score on people. Brady didn't need to throw a bomb to Moss when the Patriots were up 31-7 but he did anyway. That's the kind of team they are this year. And that's playing teams that can't fight back. Imagine if he's in a shootout.I don't know how he's going to do this season but outside of 5,000 yards I don't think there's any record that Tom Brady can't break in 07.
Boy, don't I wish I had Brady and you in my league. This is the exact type of overeaction without an eye to the past which makes for great deals.It was before Randy Moss but late season, north east games will still be late season north east games.

I expect the Pats to throw MORE than in the past, but I dont expect them to change from their strategy which has won them THREE super bowls (well, except for some of the cheating.)

You REALLY think he will get 50 TDs????? (he won't - if you would like to wager, name your price. Ill put a mortgage out for that bet).

If you have Brady, I would try to move him for Manning or Palmer. Those guys are going to throw all year for sure. Brady and the Pats will (presumably) return to the blueprint that has won them three already. He will be very very good, but I am not sure Brady will be great in the last few weeks.

That was before Randy Moss. He'll change things as he already has so far this season.
This organization isnt going to change the philosophy that has won it 3 SBs so that Randy Moss can put up big numbers for your fantasy team. They will run the ball in the second half of the season like they always have and take advantage of worn down defenses while protecting Brady for the postseason.

I never said that he would break those records but I definitely wouldn't rule it out either. The blueprint for the Patriots success is dominant defense (that hasn't changed) and Tom Brady beating teams through the passing game. That hasn't changed it's just now they're murdering teams with the passing game.

No way I trade Tom Brady for Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer straight up. That's a downgrade imho.

Koya said:
Sweeper said:
Agreed that he hasn't been tested all that much but I do believe that he is going to fight through and over all the obstacles and keep up this pace. As far as changing weather, he is used to playing in New England, outdoors and don't see this as much of an obstacle.
Someone likely will have the stats to support or contradict my observation, but having owned him in the past it does seem that the end of the season is not like the beginning for Brady. Speaking from my own personal experience owning him or following him for trade purposes.
A lot of people have said this in the past, but it's not true. 2002-2006:First 8 games: 67 TDs, 35 INTsLast 8 games: 67 TDs, 35 INTsThat's about as even as you're going to get. Brady averaged 17 FPPG in 2006. He scored 18 PPG during weeks 14-16. Over the seasons, he has averaged:2006: 18 PPG (17 for the year)2005: 24 PPG (19 for the year)2004: 19.7 PPG (17 for the year)2003: 14.3 PPG (17 for the year)2002: 14 PPG (19 for the year)You might be remembering earlier in his career, but things have changed since then.

Sweeper said:
This year Brady looks fantastic. Calm, cool collected and he has some serious support offensively. I honestly think that Brady is going to have a career season this year. Yards/TD/Completions/Rating. Everyone around him is going to benefit as well. I am willing to bet (barring injury) Moss has the best season of his career and Wes Welker (as a #2) puts up fantastic #'s all season long. After 3 games he is 70/88, has 887 yards , 10 TD/ 1 INT. I'll revisit this thread from time to time to see just how well he can handle this pace.
Sorry, maybe I misinterpreted this before. I thought you meant Brady would set career highs in Yards/TDs/Completions/Ratings, which seems like a lock and not even worth discussing. The responses in this thread make me think you mean he'll set NFL records in those categories, which seems so absurd as to make it not even worth discussing. :lol:

Brady is getting ready to play Cinci and Cleveland and then Dallas the next 3 weeks, 2 on ON THE ROAD, where he typically, and traditionally as I keep hearing brought up, he puts up better #s. Facing those 3 secondaries the next 3 games? Are you kidding me? Eli had 4 TDs at Dallas, Palmer had 6 TDs at Cleveland, and ANDERSON had 5 TDs vs Cinci. Those were 3 QBs NOT named Brady. I dont think this next 3 game stretch is going to hurt his chance at TD or completion percentage records. Heck, he may own every significant NFL passing record by week 7.

Im sure when it gets cold in November and December, his #s will fall off the pace a little, and theyll win some games cold-weather style. But Brady has a history of putting up #s late in the season in cold spots. And consider this. In '05, he had 9 TDs thru the end of OCTOBER, then threw 16TDs in Nov. and Dec. That was with Branch and Givens and co. Last year's receiving corps was so pititful Im not going to even draw any comparisons to that team, considering their best receiver in '06 wasnt even good enough to make this year's team. But his #s were bad later in the year. The evidence from '05 is enough to see he's capable with decent talent. Noteworthy enough, last season he did throw 4TDs @ Minnesota and 4TDs @ Green Bay. So, teams not accustomed to facing Brady can be a little vulnerable, to say the least. Even on the road.

For the 'record', here are some marks Brady will have a shot at setting on his current pace:

Completion Percentage, Season - Record, Ken Anderson 70.55% Brady thru 3 79.54%

Passing TDs, Season - Record, Peyton Manning 49TDs Brady's current pace, 53.3TDs

Passer Rating, Season - Record, Peyton Manning 121.1 Brady thru 3 141.8

Highest Average Gain, Season - Record Tommy O'Connell 11.17 Brady's current pace 12.67

Those are the significant marks he's got a shot at. Its only been 3 games, so his pace will likely change. But judging by how easy he's making it look right now, Im not gonna cut him short. I just wont be on a #s watch because it really doesnt matter. He's in for a great year no matter what #s he puts up.

The game that Im personally looking forward to the most, goes without saying, is the Colts game. These guys play every year, but its usually at Gillette. Last year, in the regular season, Brady had 0TDs and 4 picks. A QB rating of around 30. AT HOME. This time its in Indy where Brady left a small part of his soul on the field in the AFCC. He's going back to look for it. Both teams may be unbeaten, and it should be one of the biggest regular season games in the NFL in my lifetime. No exaggeration. The #s from both he and Manning will no doubt continue to fly.

Brady will never touch the single season TD record for the same reason Favre never could in his prime, cold weather. Favre (like Brady this year) was on pace to challenge the record a few times, but always slowed down in the winter months.

Brady's last warm weather/indoor game is Week 9 at Indy. Every single game after that is outdoor in the Northeast. The Nov/Dec wind in Foxboro is brutal. Buffalo, NY, & Baltimore are no better.

Sorry, but Brady will not throw 40+ TDs. He will probably win his 4th Superbowl though, which is a pretty nice consolation.

mbuehner said:
Patriots traditionally haven't had Randy Moss in the 2nd half of the year. Can we please stop bringing up any Patriots history? Obviously, with Moss in the fold, you can throw it all out. Unless you're still clinging to the "Patriots spread the ball around, so Moss won't be good" theory. In which case, you are crazy.I am absolutely amazed at Brady's Comp%. It's insane. The only reason for his numbers to come down are the fact that they are off the charts right now and to keep it up is impossible. They'll come down some, but I'm on the "career year" bandwagon as of now.

Anyone remember Culpepper's 2004 campaign? After three games he had almost 1000yds, 8 TDs and 1 int.

After five games he had 1700+ yards, 20 TDs and 3 ints.

I believe people were talking about the same thing back then as well...and he even plays in a dome for half his games. But in the end, defenses adjust and game plans change.

He ended up with 4700 yards, 39 TDs and 11 ints. A phenomenal season, to be sure, but not all-time record breaking.

Brady will have a great season, but I highly doubt it will break any records but his own.

Brady was a top 5 QB without Moss and Moss has made QBs like Jeff George play at elite levels before.

It's a pretty sick combination.

The game that Im personally looking forward to the most, goes without saying, is the Colts game. These guys play every year, but its usually at Gillette. Last year, in the regular season, Brady had 0TDs and 4 picks. A QB rating of around 30. AT HOME. This time its in Indy where Brady left a small part of his soul on the field in the AFCC. He's going back to look for it. Both teams may be unbeaten, and it should be one of the biggest regular season games in the NFL in my lifetime. No exaggeration. The #s from both he and Manning will no doubt continue to fly.
Love the bolded part.Damn straight :popcorn:

Anyone remember Culpepper's 2004 campaign? After three games he had almost 1000yds, 8 TDs and 1 int.After five games he had 1700+ yards, 20 TDs and 3 ints.I believe people were talking about the same thing back then as well...and he even plays in a dome for half his games. But in the end, defenses adjust and game plans change.He ended up with 4700 yards, 39 TDs and 11 ints. A phenomenal season, to be sure, but not all-time record breaking.Brady will have a great season, but I highly doubt it will break any records but his own.
Culpepper set the single season total yards record that year.

Love the bolded part.Damn straight :rolleyes:
Yea, you make Tom Brady sound like he's ready to star in an action movie. It's kinda weird.

Highest Average Gain, Season - Record Tommy O'Connell 11.17 Brady's current pace 12.67
The Packers have a better chance of going 16-0 than Brady does of averaging 11 yards per attempt.
the NFL record mentioned there is for yards/completion. (gained, not attempted) still very high and not likely to happen. And the Packers may just go undefeated....one of these years.

Koya said:
Sweeper said:
A lot of people have said this in the past, but it's not true. 2002-2006:First 8 games: 67 TDs, 35 INTsLast 8 games: 67 TDs, 35 INTsThat's about as even as you're going to get. Brady averaged 17 FPPG in 2006. He scored 18 PPG during weeks 14-16. Over the seasons, he has averaged:2006: 18 PPG (17 for the year)2005: 24 PPG (19 for the year)2004: 19.7 PPG (17 for the year)2003: 14.3 PPG (17 for the year)2002: 14 PPG (19 for the year)You might be remembering earlier in his career, but things have changed since then.
:thumbup: Just to add more evidence, here's Brady's per-game scores starting with week 1 in one of my leagues last year. Not much difference between the 1st half and the 2nd half of the season.15.4514.0020.7018.5015.000.0017.9533.707.35______________16.7528.8016.6516.153.9013.6519.5515.25

Last edited by a moderator:
Koya said:
Sweeper said:
Interesting stats - thanks for debunking the second myth in a week that I had believed in.

The Packers have a better chance of going 16-0 than Brady does of averaging 11 yards per attempt.
the NFL record mentioned there is for yards/completion. (gained, not attempted)
No, it isn't.
You are right, and I stand corrected. the guy with the record, Tommy O'Connell with the '57 Browns, had 110 attempts. That # was so low, Id assumed it was completions. And in that case, I'll take the Packers and the under. thanks for the insight, C.

The Pats are way too greedy this year & just looking to run up the score. Poor sportsmanship IMO

Go ahead, flame me...

The Pats are way too greedy this year & just looking to run up the score. Poor sportsmanship IMOGo ahead, flame me...
It's only the third qtr and there is plenty of football to play. You can call continuing to play a game when there is still 20+ minutes left in the game "running up the score" if you like. Just keep in mind that it doesn't do much for your credibility.

The Pats are way too greedy this year & just looking to run up the score. Poor sportsmanship IMOGo ahead, flame me...
It's only the third qtr and there is plenty of football to play. You can call continuing to play a game when there is still 20+ minutes left in the game "running up the score" if you like. Just keep in mind that it doesn't do much for your credibility.
When you are up by that much there's no need for these bombs to Moss. I don't see the rest of the NFL doing this kind of crapola. Now this is where you respond with "The others are not as good as the Pats." bs argument so save it.

The Pats are way too greedy this year & just looking to run up the score. Poor sportsmanship IMO

Go ahead, flame me...
When you are up by that much there's no need for these bombs to Moss. I don't see the rest of the NFL doing this kind of crapola. Now this is where you respond with "The others are not as good as the Pats." bs argument so save it.
:shrug: Weren't the bombs to Moss in the first half? Just how early do you propose they call off the dogs?

Maybe Moss shouldn't play at all... he's that good. Poor sportsmanship to let that guy even take the field.

that title is misleading. it needs to be changed to "QB season of ALL generations!". absolutely ridiculously off the charts.

So let me get this straight.

NE "only" wins by 14-21 against "bad" teams and there's no reason to say they're that good because they're not blowing out those "bad" teams....

Now NE Runs up the score a little (despite pulling their starting QB for a large chunk of the game) and they're jerks for winning by that much?

OK

:shrug:

So let me get this straight. NE "only" wins by 14-21 against "bad" teams and there's no reason to say they're that good because they're not blowing out those "bad" teams.... Now NE Runs up the score a little (despite pulling their starting QB for a large chunk of the game) and they're jerks for winning by that much? OK :lmao:
This is a little misleading, buddy.I don't really agree that they are running up the score. I think they are just playing football. They happen to be so good that they almost always score but still, playing the entire 60 minutes is not running up the score. They are not really a running team and with a depleted (or injured) RB, they throw the ball .... a lot. They stick to the game plan that put them in the lead ... pass, pass and pass again. Again, that's not running up the score, that is playing the game. People love to hate the Pats this year and are quick to point out that blowing out the teams they play is "having no class". Watch one team blow a huge lead this year then perhaps you will understand why they continue to play football for the full 60 minutes. When an opposing coach calls a TO to stop the clock so they can get the ball back, that means they fulling intend on playing till the last second. As the team that coach is playing against, why should the Pats STOP playing? I just don't understand your (the Shark Pool, collectively) expectations here. Should they keep the games intentionally close? Should they change their game plan so they are not as effective? It's not like they run the ball all day and then start going deep once they take the lead. They start with a game plan and execute that SAME game plan for 60 minutes. Plain and simple.

Wow.

:wall:

Look at my avatar... reread my post. You just used 300 words to tell me you completely missed the point of my post.

Users who are viewing this thread