What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 5 dynasty backs if you drafted today (1 Viewer)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
1. Leveon Bell

2. Eddie Lacy

3. Demarco Murray

4. Jamaal Charles

5. Jeremy Hill???? Maybe

I think there is quite a dropoff after Lacy. But its crazy to me how quickly the landscape changes at RB.

1 LeVeon Bell
2 Eddie Lacy
3 Jamal Charles
4 Jeremy Hill
5 Demarco Murray

The dynasty RB landscape is pretty barren right now. Hopefully this draft class pumps some life into it.

I can't take a nearly 29 year old (at the start of next season) Jamaal Charles in the top 5 if I were drafting for a new dynasty.

Hill in the top five is overkill on hype i want a little more constancy before i take in my top five.

Bell

lacy

murray

charles

mccoy

Lynch

forte

miller

All those before i consider next group of young guys i know forte and lynch are oll but they are solid for two or three more years im alright with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you take it out farther it's pretty telling how scary the situation is right now:

[SIZE=small]1[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]LeVeon Bell[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]2[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Eddie Lacy[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]3[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Jamal Charles[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]4[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Jeremy Hill[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]5[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Demarco Murray[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]6[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]LeSean McCoy[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]7[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Carlos Hyde[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]8[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Mark Ingram[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]9[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Tre Mason[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]10[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Giovani Bernard[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]11[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Marshawn Lynch[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]12[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Arian Foster[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]13[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Andre Ellington[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]14[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]CJ Anderson[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]15[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Christine Michael[/SIZE]

Oh yeah, I also think that Andre Ellington (26) is primed to do big damage for a few years in Arizona.

He played with a foot hurt in the preseason and had no practice and was still top-10 after twelve weeks.

Don't get too scared when they draft another RB, because they have to add something at that position.

Ingram (25) is the free-agent wild card. :stalker:

Why is Hyde over CJ and Mason?
Well I had Hyde ahead of Mason in my rookie rankings because I thought he was the better prospect (although I did like Mason a lot as well) - and Hyde was stuck behind Gore so didn't get the same opportunities. I don't think Gore will be back, so Hyde should see feature back carries this year. I expect him to do well.

CJ Anderson, I admittedly may be too low on. I'm just not sure that Ball doesn't get another crack at the starting job at this point though. I know Anderson looked far better but that was later in the season against worn down defenses. Obviously I do think Anderson is ahead, since I have him ranked ahead of Ball, but the "doubt" creeps in a bit and can't fully commit yet.

What's the realistic time frame that you expect to own any starting RB (or NFL player for that matter)?

The burn rate on these guys is so fast that I wouldn't expect more than 2-3 years for anyone, no matter the situation. Yes, I know it's dynasty and you have to plan for the future, but I'd have a very hard time skipping over Lynch or even Adrian Peterson for a guy like Hill who has only had (part of?) one season of success, or Carlos ####### Hyde who hasn't done anything in two years.

What's the realistic time frame that you expect to own any starting RB (or NFL player for that matter)?

The burn rate on these guys is so fast that I wouldn't expect more than 2-3 years for anyone, no matter the situation. Yes, I know it's dynasty and you have to plan for the future, but I'd have a very hard time skipping over Lynch or even Adrian Peterson for a guy like Hill who has only had (part of?) one season of success, or Carlos ####### Hyde who hasn't done anything in two years.
Are you counting Hyde's last year in college?

Are you counting Hyde's last year in college?
My bad. I've been watching Gore and waiting for his wheels to fall off for too long.

Peterson and Lynch carry their own risks though of course. Power backs tend to fall off a cliff rather rapidly. I can understand your thought process though.

As of today:

- Le'veon

- Lacy

- Charles

- Demarco

and this is the hard one...

- CJ Anderson / Lynch / McCoy

CJ Anderson, I admittedly may be too low on. I'm just not sure that Ball doesn't get another crack at the starting job at this point though. I know Anderson looked far better but that was later in the season against worn down defenses. Obviously I do think Anderson is ahead, since I have him ranked ahead of Ball, but the "doubt" creeps in a bit and can't fully commit yet.
Was Ronnie Hillman playing against worn down defenses too? Hillman also looked a lot better than Ball, who was singularly unimpressive in every game I saw him in - although maybe he hadn't fully recovered from his appendectomy. And Anderson looks like a legitimate starting RB to me.

Was Ronnie Hillman playing against worn down defenses too? Hillman also looked a lot better than Ball, who was singularly unimpressive in every game I saw him in - although maybe he hadn't fully recovered from his appendectomy. And Anderson looks like a legitimate starting RB to me.
Hillman was much quicker for sure. Ball looked good as a rookie, not so much last year - but as you said he was recovering from a late preseason surgery. I didn't say the only reason Anderson looked better was because he was facing worn down defenses, but I've seen it happen before where a back looked great late in the season and then fell back to Earth once he didn't have "fresher" legs. It happens the other way as well, where a guys looks good down the stretch and comes back the next year without missing a beat (i.e. Arian Foster).

I have apprehensions - that's all I'm saying. I don't own any of those players and wouldn't be looking to acquire any of them because I wouldn't feel safe unless I had both (or even all three).

Hill in the top five is overkill on hype i want a little more constancy before i take in my top five.

Bell

lacy

murray

charles

mccoy

Lynch

forte

miller

All those before i consider next group of young guys i know forte and lynch are oll but they are solid for two or three more years im alright with that.
I can't take 30 year olds before Hill. Just can't.

If you guess wrong and Hiill sucks (which he pretty clearly showed he doesnt), you lose maybe 2 years at most of good RB play from Lynch/Forte.

If you guess right on Hill, you have a nice RB for a long long time.

I don't know if I have Hill in my top 5, but I know I dont have THOSE guys in my top 5. And I definitely take Hill over Lamar Miller.

Bell, Lacy, Mccoy, Murray....I don't know who else I have in my top 5.

When you take it out farther it's pretty telling how scary the situation is right now:

[SIZE=small]1[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]LeVeon Bell[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]2[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Eddie Lacy[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]3[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Jamal Charles[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]4[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Jeremy Hill[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]5[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Demarco Murray[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]6[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]LeSean McCoy[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]7[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Carlos Hyde[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]8[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Mark Ingram[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]9[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Tre Mason[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]10[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Giovani Bernard[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]11[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Marshawn Lynch[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]12[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Arian Foster[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]13[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Andre Ellington[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]14[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]CJ Anderson[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]15[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Christine Michael[/SIZE]
Doc, no AdP?

I think he rages back with a vengeance. He took no beating last year and the previous season he came back stronger and much sooner from his ACL.

I think Adrian Peterson is easily in the top five and may take be number one at the end of 2015.

My top five for next year.

1. LeVeon Bell

2. Adrian Peterson

3. CJ Anderson

4. Todd Gurley

5. Jeremy Hill

1 LeVeon Bell 2 Eddie Lacy 3 Jamal Charles 4 Jeremy Hill 5 Demarco Murray 6 LeSean McCoy 7 Carlos Hyde 8 Mark Ingram 9 Tre Mason 10 Giovani Bernard 11 Marshawn Lynch 12 Arian Foster 13 Andre Ellington 14 CJ Anderson 15 Christine Michael
Doc, no AdP?I think he rages back with a vengeance. He took no beating last year and the previous season he came back stronger and much sooner from his ACL.

I think Adrian Peterson is easily in the top five and may take be number one at the end of 2015.

1. LeVeon Bell

2. Adrian Peterson

3. CJ Anderson

4. Todd Gurley

5. Jeremy Hill
You're taking a 30 year old Peterson 2nd in a dynasty?

1 LeVeon Bell 2 Eddie Lacy 3 Jamal Charles 4 Jeremy Hill 5 Demarco Murray 6 LeSean McCoy 7 Carlos Hyde 8 Mark Ingram 9 Tre Mason 10 Giovani Bernard 11 Marshawn Lynch 12 Arian Foster 13 Andre Ellington 14 CJ Anderson 15 Christine Michael
Doc, no AdP?I think he rages back with a vengeance. He took no beating last year and the previous season he came back stronger and much sooner from his ACL.

1. LeVeon Bell

2. Adrian Peterson

3. CJ Anderson

4. Todd Gurley

5. Jeremy Hill
You're taking a 30 year old Peterson 2nd in a dynasty?
Short answer is yeah, long answer is HELL yeah.

Its Adrian F'ng Peterson. How many RBs in NFL history can say their worst (non-suspended) year was a combined 1,100 yards with 13 TDs?

Any list I see that doesn't have him as a top five fantasy RB in any format I disregard off the bat.

Doc, no AdP?

I think he rages back with a vengeance. He took no beating last year and the previous season he came back stronger and much sooner from his ACL.

1. LeVeon Bell

2. Adrian Peterson

3. CJ Anderson

4. Todd Gurley

5. Jeremy Hill
He's already 30 and has been getting banged up. I'm not sure if the year off is good or bad for him at this point of his career. I don't see anyway he's a top 5 dynasty RB (I have him at 20, which is probably too low I'll admit) - he may have a great year in 2015, but I'm not even seeing that necessarily.

Any list I see that doesn't have him as a top five fantasy RB in any format I disregard off the bat.
It's probably pointless for you to look at any dynasty rankings then.
Yeah no kidding. At some point even the greats need to be discounted due to shortened career.
I agree that 'at some point' his career will end but if LeVeon Bell has three AdP years he would be worth a top five pick and so would Gurley or Jeremy Hill. I think Adrian Peterson has three more solid years in him so why in the world would you draft a younger/unproven guy who 'might' have three AdP type years when you can have the genuine article?

He had virtually no mileage on his frame from 2014. He's healthy. I think he's going to have a monster 2015 and will be have another two highly productive years which would best any of the other younger backs listed.

Yeah no kidding. At some point even the greats need to be discounted due to shortened career.
I agree that 'at some point' his career will end but if LeVeon Bell has three AdP years he would be worth a top five pick and so would Gurley or Jeremy Hill. I think Adrian Peterson has three more solid years in him so why in the world would you draft a younger/unproven guy who 'might' have three AdP type years when you can have the genuine article?

He had virtually no mileage on his frame from 2014. He's healthy. I think he's going to have a monster 2015 and will be have another two highly productive years which would best any of the other younger backs listed.
That's a fair assessment. I just don't understand how you couldn't see the other side and "disregard" any dynasty ranking that doesn't have him in the top 5.

Guys can fall off a cliff fast (even the greats). There's just as much risk that injuries and age take their toll on Peterson as there is hat Bell or Hill regress. I will say that if Bell was to have a "down" year he'd hold onto his trade value much better than if Peterson has a "down" year - and that's something that needs to be considered as well.

1. Bell

2. Lacy

3. Gurley

4. Hill

5. Gordon

If we are talking start up, that's the way I'd rank them. I wouldn't even consider Charles/ADP/Lynch/Forte/Foster in the first 3 rounds. The list of players breaking down at 28+ is long and extensive. Sure they may play a few more years, but the odds are stacked against them being worth the pick. LT2, Faulk, MJD, SJax, Eddie George, Edgerrin James, Shaun Alexander. I could go on and on. Those guys were all awesome fantasy RBs. The combined number of high quality years after age 28? Roughly 2. If they have a bad year at 29, you are left holding air. If Gurley starts out slow? You probably still can get 2nd or 3rd round start up value for him.

That's a fair assessment. I just don't understand how you couldn't see the other side and "disregard" any dynasty ranking that doesn't have him in the top 5.

Guys can fall off a cliff fast (even the greats). There's just as much risk that injuries and age take their toll on Peterson as there is hat Bell or Hill regress. I will say that if Bell was to have a "down" year he'd hold onto his trade value much better than if Peterson has a "down" year - and that's something that needs to be considered as well.
I do so I use a mix of older proven RBs and young guys with upside but I've drafted too many young guys with upside to disregard the undeniable value of a guy like Adrian Peterson who is easily a top five RB in any format but in dynasty he holds a unique value IMHO.

You can readily get young guys with upside in any rookie dynasty draft but you can't get an AdP that easily.

No one has answered my earlier question. How many years do you expect to get out of a dynasty RB?

Are you expecting 3? 5? 7?

At what point does the reality of the NFL career length factor into your valuing of age vs talent/opportunity?

Dr. Octopus said:
1 LeVeon Bell

2 Eddie Lacy

3 Jamal Charles

4 Jeremy Hill

5 Demarco Murray

The dynasty RB landscape is pretty barren right now. Hopefully this draft class pumps some life into it.
If Seattle wouldn't have screed up so massively and handed the ball to Lynch for the win, the landscape could have changed away from RBBC.

tangfoot said:
No one has answered my earlier question. How many years do you expect to get out of a dynasty RB?

At what point does the reality of the NFL career length factor into your valuing of age vs talent/opportunity?
Great question and it dovetails into my Adrian Peterson argument.

I think you can only count on three 'good' years from a rookie RB prospect, if you get that. They may play for more or less but if you get three 'good' years you have to consider that pick a success.

First year, most rookies don't see the field as much because they are learning pass protections and the playbook etc. See LeVeon Bell and Jeremy Hill for the latest examples.

So if you could use a top rookie dynasty pick to get a veteran RB who can provide three 'good' years right off the bat then I think its easier to project how a veteran will produce if they consistently produced double digit TDs and an average of over 1,400 combined yards per year and where you feel they will perform solidly for three more years.

So if you can get a solid veteran proven RB it allows you the luxury of taking flyers on late round or waiver wire guys so if you have an AdP you can keep churning later round picks so you might wind up with a guy like DeMarco Murray who was a third round pick and apparently buried behind first round pick Felix Jones in Dallas when he came out and was not generally taken in the first round of most dynasty drafts. Or you can churn the waiver wire and find gems like C.J. Anderson.

So I want/expect three 'good' years from a rookie RB and not much the first year. I think that is acceptable and more accurate than to get carried away in potential that rarely lives up to hype.

In a mock I'm currently a part of:

1.07 LeVeon Bell

1.10 LeSean McCoy

2.02 Eddie Lacy

2.03 Jamaal Charles

2.12 Demarco Murray

tangfoot said:

3 years for RB. 5 or more for other skill players.

This isn't a hard-and-fast rule but generally works for me.

Hyde? Gurley? Gordon?

Oh please
I would rather have Gordon over a late 20s stud NFL RB in a DYNASTY format because I believe Gordon will be just as good or better than the late 20 something. RBs have such a short shelf life, so that is why I go with the young studs coming out of in the next draft. It's easy to play the "but he hasn't done anything in the NFL" card, but the wise choice is to take a Melvin Gordon over a McCoy, Murray, or Charles.

Hyde? Gurley? Gordon?

Oh please
Jamaal Charles will start the season 28.

DeMarco Murray will be 27, and just had 500 touches in a season. We don't know where he'll be playing either.

ADP will be 30, and we don't know where he will be playing.

Lynch will be 29, and we don't know where he will be playing.

McCoy will be 27, and has lost goal line duties.

Forte will be 29.

Any of those guys has a bad year next year, and you have lost all value. Gurley/Gordon are going to have a much longer leash with their value.

thriftyrocker said:
Gurley and Gordon are in the same tier as Lacy and Murray IMO.
As is Ki-Jana Carter and TRich. It's good to be proactive but we have to start remembering that the NFL game is very different at every position from college.

Hyde? Gurley? Gordon?

Oh please
I would rather have Gordon over a late 20s stud NFL RB in a DYNASTY format because I believe Gordon will be just as good or better than the late 20 something. RBs have such a short shelf life, so that is why I go with the young studs coming out of in the next draft. It's easy to play the "but he hasn't done anything in the NFL" card, but the wise choice is to take a Melvin Gordon over a McCoy, Murray, or Charles.
I don't get this line of thinking. There's nothing wrong with wanting a young roster, but even in drafting for dynasty, there's no way I'm taking these guys as my RB1. I still want a shot at the playoffs. These guys, more than likely, won't get you there. It's far too easy nowadays to trade for a young RB. I targeted Mason and Hill both this past year and was able to land both. While the future looks promising for both at this point, neither were a consistent starter this past year. Taking Gordon or Gurley as your RB1 is playing Russian roulette. Too much of a chance of your team being bottom of the barrel for a few years.

Hyde? Gurley? Gordon?

Oh please
Jamaal Charles will start the season 28.DeMarco Murray will be 27, and just had 500 touches in a season. We don't know where he'll be playing either.

Forte will be 29.

Any of those guys has a bad year next year, and you have lost all value. Gurley/Gordon are going to have a much longer leash with their value.
it's all relative on how you want to compete from the get go. I prefer to take a proven commodity. I'd rather play in a league that doesn't draft rookies in a startup. I'm not taking a guy who hasn't played a down as my first RB. To each his own.

Hyde? Gurley? Gordon?

Oh please
Jamaal Charles will start the season 28.DeMarco Murray will be 27, and just had 500 touches in a season. We don't know where he'll be playing either.

Forte will be 29.

it's all relative on how you want to compete from the get go. I prefer to take a proven commodity. I'd rather play in a league that doesn't draft rookies in a startup. I'm not taking a guy who hasn't played a down as my first RB. To each his on.
It sounds like you should want to play in a league that drafts rookies in the start-up, since people would be "wasting" picks on them leaving another player for you.

thriftyrocker said:
Gurley and Gordon are in the same tier as Lacy and Murray IMO.
As is Ki-Jana Carter and TRich. It's good to be proactive but we have to start remembering that the NFL game is very different at every position from college.
Part of this is the RB landscape. We don't have to think of Gurley and Gordon as generational talents to put them that high. We just have to think of them as more talented than Jeremy Hill, which I don't think is a huge stretch. In retrospect it was foolish to value Richardson above Forte, McCoy, Forte, and Charles going into his rookie year, but there are few parallels to those 2012 vets right now. In fact it's the same names +3y for the most part. Even if you rewind to 2012 RB rankings, you'll see guys like Mathews and DMC ranked pretty high. It's easy to account for known unknowns, but not so easy for unknown knowns. If Hill, McCoy, Charles, and CJ Anderson instill great confidence in you then you should rank them that high, but for many it is just trading one uncertainty for another. Personally I would prefer the uncertainty of inexperience because it provides youth as hedge.

Users who are viewing this thread