What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Torrey Smith ranking this week (1 Viewer)

Jed

Footballguy
I won't give away subscriber content but wow is Torrey rated low. Coming off a huge game, @ home, against a not-so-great secondary. I know rankings change later in the week but obviously the game is tomorrow.

Thoughts?

Maybe they believe he's emotionally exhausted playing on a short week? I don't know. I usually want no part of Thursday night games. Also, if you're talking about Dodd's rankings, the whole world can see them here. He's also not going against the grain. Low-end WR2 status is exactly where most of the "experts" have him ranked.

I have to believe the rankings take into account the fact that he's the epitome of feast or famine as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting him over floyd, olsen, and l moore, but mostly because I was higher on him in the draft, so I kind of want to cash.

I've got mixed feelings about it, but there's certainly upside against a cle team with no haden.

last week was why i drafted him -- it hasn't made me any higher on him.

How is that low? I guess we all have different perceptions as to what is a low ranking but WR2 is pretty solid territory in my opinion.

I don't see a lot of opportunities for him this game against Cleveland. Ray Rice on the other hand....

I'm on the fence with Torrey this week. After what is sure to have been the longest, short week of his life I can see the emotional and physical toll beating him down tonight. Have to love that tasty Browns match-up though.

I'm on the fence with Torrey this week. After what is sure to have been the longest, short week of his life I can see the emotional and physical toll beating him down tonight. Have to love that tasty Browns match-up though.
Typically the Browns defense is pretty good against the pass, which is why many of the AFC North teams run all over them. The Browns ranked 2nd last year in pass defense. Coming off a short week and in one which his brother died, you would probably be wise to pass. Then again Joe Haden isn't covering him either because he is on suspension.

Torry's stats for the first 3 weeks:

Week 1: 3 targets, 2 receptions, 57 yards. 1 rush 13 yards

Week 2: 5 targets, 2 receptions, 51 yards

Week 3: 10 targets, 6 receptions, 127 yards, 2tds

What is the norm here? Personally I think from here on out he will get more targets than he got weeks 1 and 2, but for now week 3 has to be an anomally. Could he be a factor going forward? Absolutely. But after all the emotions, playing Sun night, then a short week, I can see a possible temporary regression.

2011: 95 targets, 50 receptions, 841yards, 7 tds....4 rushes for 39 yards

8 targets, 5 catches for 80 yards and maybe a TD wouldn't surprise me this week. Neither would 8 targets, 4 catches, 60 yards and no tds.

Torry's stats for the first 3 weeks:Week 1: 3 targets, 2 receptions, 57 yards. 1 rush 13 yardsWeek 2: 5 targets, 2 receptions, 51 yardsWeek 3: 10 targets, 6 receptions, 127 yards, 2tdsWhat is the norm here? Personally I think from here on out he will get more targets than he got weeks 1 and 2, but for now week 3 has to be an anomally. Could he be a factor going forward? Absolutely. But after all the emotions, playing Sun night, then a short week, I can see a possible temporary regression. 2011: 95 targets, 50 receptions, 841yards, 7 tds....4 rushes for 39 yards8 targets, 5 catches for 80 yards and maybe a TD wouldn't surprise me this week. Neither would 8 targets, 4 catches, 60 yards and no tds.
Just a simple eyeball test, death not being a factor here, but it seems like Torrey needs to be getting way more targets then the first 2 weeks if his production jumped like that with double the targets.

Weekly rankings are practically useless so there's no point in complaining about them.

The projections are so conservative and the margins are so narrow that they don't mean anything.

Week 4 WR projections:

WR1 = 6 rec. / 81 yards / 0.7 TD

WR30 = 5 rec. / 60 yards / 0.5 TD

WR62 = 4 rec. / 40 yards / 0.3 TD

No one owns every WR anyway, you probably just have 4 or 5.

I'd rather just look at matchup info vs. pass/rush. If there is a close call between my 5 guys I let the matchup decide, or just go with my gut. If you drafted Torrey you probably intended on starting him most weeks anyway. Some website giving him 0.2 less chance of a TD than the WR1 shouldn't make any difference in your decision.

Boldin and Pitta seem to be the guys getting the majority of the targets and even Jacoby Jones has gotten some love as well. Torrey looks like he'll continue to be a homerun/strikeout kind of player. Usually that kind of player will give you more strikeout games than homerun games.

Boldin and Pitta seem to be the guys getting the majority of the targets and even Jacoby Jones has gotten some love as well. Torrey looks like he'll continue to be a homerun/strikeout kind of player. Usually that kind of player will give you more strikeout games than homerun games.
Overall Smith has much better numbers than Boldin thru 3 games... with his limited targets.. I think we will continue to see this progress as Torrey will solidify himself as the true #1 WR on that team this year... which is why we all drafted him

Every year I have to explain this. Thursday rankings are the ones I really pay attention to. And it's still fluid even up to Saturday night. The early rankings are just that. They are early.

Every year I have to explain this. Thursday rankings are the ones I really pay attention to. And it's still fluid even up to Saturday night. The early rankings are just that. They are early.
True - I'll see what Torrey is ranked on Saturday night.

True - I'll see what Torrey is ranked on Saturday night.
I don't think that will help you very much
Yeah, I think by Friday the FBGs should be pretty solid in how they think Smith will perform this week. :)

Overall Smith has much better numbers than Boldin thru 3 games... with his limited targets.. I think we will continue to see this progress as Torrey will solidify himself as the true #1 WR on that team this year... which is why we all drafted him
Ah you guys, Smith has 18(2 in the RZ) targets to Boldin's 16(3 in the RZ). Pitta is the hog with 31(6 in he RZ).

He is definitely one of those boom or bust type guys but I'm rolling with him this week. The Browns have been giving up a ton of yards & think he will be able to make at least one long play.. Hoping for 75 & a TD..

Considering benching him for Jerome Simpson. This week feels like a dud. Last year the weeks following big games were brutal. Week two he followed 5 for 152 and 3 tds with 1 catch for 1 yard.http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/24845/gamelog?year=2011Might go with AlfMo at the flex instead. It's tempting to start him but I think it's not a wise move.
Interesting analysis, but I can't imagine that's enough to sit him for an unknown (Simpson). I think anyone talking themselves out of starting him @ home vs a Haden-less Browns team is overmanaging. Either that or I'm trying to talk myself into it.

The first 2 games it seemed like Flacco rarely even looked towards Smith's side of the field. When he did he was quick to check down if he didn't like what he saw. Week 3 was a completely different story. It seemed like Smith was his first read on the majority of pass plays and he even forced it to him a few times. Whether this was part of the game plan or they wanted to get him the ball due to his tragedy remains to be seen.

On a side note I think the return of the regular officials will help Torrey greatly, he was getting mugged getting off the well line for well beyond 10 yds quite often in the first couple of weeks.

In the two games without Haden the browns gave up 3 tds to opposing qbs and are ranked 27th in passing. I think owners would want a part of this action

You guys are starting to talk me into this one. Dwayne Bowe's injury status is also talking to me as well but now I'm thinking about rolling the dice with Torrey tonight.

I feel for the guy. My debate is whether to go with him or Bradshaw. I'm thinking the adrenaline and focus of the last game wears off and the emotional drain takes its toll this week.

Cleveland has a good pass defense. No Haden but Boldin, Pitta, Jones could all return to their roles from the two weeks before. Smith could get the long pass as has been his role generally but what are the chances he gets a TD off it? Two TNF games have been slow, plodding, and the other was a blowout.

Cleveland has a good pass defense. No Haden but Boldin, Pitta, Jones could all return to their roles from the two weeks before. Smith could get the long pass as has been his role generally but what are the chances he gets a TD off it? Two TNF games have been slow, plodding, and the other was a blowout.
They have given up the 6th most passing yards and 2nd most passing TDs on the season.Not sure how great of a pass defense that is right now with no Haden.

They have given up the 6th most passing yards and 2nd most passing TDs on the season.Not sure how great of a pass defense that is right now with no Haden.
Ok, you're right, good point. And a good matchup is a good matchup.

AAAAHHHHHH this is killing me. I know Alfred Morris is the safer play but man I am salivating. If I sit Torrey and he blows up again that will be two straight bench blowups on my team. I still feel like the likelihood of a stinker is stronger.

Im back and forth on a TD only team between Smith and Stevie Johnson.

Smith gives me the better shot for 2 TDs...but Johnson seems to just catch one a game.

Posted in another thread re:Flacco that this has all the makings of a 30-6 snoozefest. Balt D/ST gets a score ... or two ... couple for Rice on the ground ...

Just don't see how/why "Air Flacco" (by osmosis Smith) needs to go off under thrse circumstances.

Build the early lead, put the cue in the rack, call it a night ... 10 days til next game. Done.

Torrey is by nature a boom/bust up/down player, and I don't expect much due to 1) his emotiona state, and 2) I expect this to be a game that heavily features Ray Rice.

Also big on T. Smith this year pre-draft, but think tonight is a quiet night and a fairly low scoring game. T-storms expected in Baltimore at kick-off and throughout the game. Benching him to give Dez his final chance on MNF.

Uh last game heavily featured ray rice. This has got to be the toughest wdis thus Far this year. Keep going back and forth on it.

I'm in general area and not looking good weather-wise. Think this is what I needed to wuss out and stick with Morris.

Sitting Torrey this week is over-thinking. Flacco airs it out even with a decent lead IMO.

I really disagree. This is not a nobrainer:

Thunderstorms expected

Short week

Mental and emotional duress of losing a family member

Bad opponent with possibility of big early lead

Player who last season ALWAYS followed a big week with a dud

This will be BAL's fourth game in 18 days. Talk about being stretched thin. I really hope this isn't as ugly of a game as I'm expecting it to be.

2 targets first drive.... Flacco obviously wants to get him the ball but nothing yet.

I really disagree. This is not a nobrainer:Thunderstorms expectedShort weekMental and emotional duress of losing a family memberBad opponent with possibility of big early leadPlayer who last season ALWAYS followed a big week with a dud
Your thinking to hard

Users who are viewing this thread