What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (5 Viewers)

crazy how far Erik Silva has fallen. i think Magny has been under-rated for awhile too, but i remeber when Silva came in and the thought was he was going to rule the division because of his explosive stand-up

Erick's a phenomenal athlete, but has baffling moments. Wish he'd work more variety and combinations into his striking. Feels like he's too impatient. To be honest, Brazilian or not, I never got behind him. People were ready to crown way too soon.

On the other hand, I love watching Charles do Bronx, and that was a brutal loss. Dude was crazy emotional going into it, too. :(

Man, I didn't keep track because it was way too boring, but apparently Aubin-Mercier landed all of THREE significant strikes in his 3-round unanimous decision win. Oooooooooof.

Terrible, painful card to watch. The Cote match-up was good brawling with some heavy back and forth punches. Erik SiIva is looked terrible. The main event was garbage.

It definitely feels that these cards have become too watered-down.

Terrible, painful card to watch. The Cote match-up was good brawling with some heavy back and forth punches. Erik SiIva is looked terrible. The main event was garbage.

Just unfortunate on the main event, but a few of the other fights were snoozers.

Yeah, don't really blame them for the main event. On paper, that was a damn solid fight. Rest of the main card was meh, though, other than Massaranduba's cool quick win. Undercard at least had some exciting finishes.

Yeah, don't really blame them for the main event. On paper, that was a damn solid fight. Rest of the main card was meh, though, other than Massaranduba's cool quick win. Undercard at least had some exciting finishes.
i was upset with the main event a little too and thought Oliveira could have tried to tough it out, then i read this headline:

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/08/ufc-esophagus-tear-forced-charles-oliveiras-early-ufc-fight-night-74-exit

:shock: :shock: :shock: i have no idea what an esophagus tear feels like, but no way that it can be good

Should never expect anything good to come out of Saskatoon.

Lawler out of UFC 193. Can't wait for the "strip him because he got injured" shtick despite the amazing toughness he's displayed the past couple years.

Looks like Fedor is coming to UFC. I have no idea who you could match him with to make the fight competitive. Stefan Struve maybe?

Cliff Clavin said:
Yeah, you're allowed to pull out. Pull out of back-to-back and not fight for a year and you should "lose" your title IMO.
Tried that and still ended up with a kid. :mellow:

In other news, UFC signed the teenage phenom Sage Northcutt. If he can pull off a few wins they'll probably fast track him to a top ranked opponent and he'll be the male version of Rousey endorsement wise.

The rush to strip people of titles makes very little sense to me. I get the UFC's reasoning, even if I find it silly. "We've promoted the ever-loving crap out of this fight, and now it won't even have a title on the line? Screeeeeeew that." For us as fans, though? What's the point? If the guy's going to be on the shelf for a long while rehabbing something like an ACL injury, like Dominick Cruz, I can see it, but José Aldo pulled out of the Mendes fight, then came back and beat him decisively. Then he pulled out of the McGregor fight, and that was enough to strip his title? Seven months after his previous title defense? He won't have fought in a year because the UFC is setting aside months for fight promotion, not because he's been habitually skipping out of fights.

Then he pulled out of the McGregor fight, and that was enough to strip his title? Seven months after his previous title defense?
Yeah said it at the time it was ludicrous to have the joke of an interim belt because Dana was having one of his middle aged kid temper tantrums.

In the end, it'll give the fight an additional storyline to sell.

At least the fight is scheduled to happen.....while the fighters are in their primes. And not 5+ years after it.

Looks like Fedor is coming to UFC. I have no idea who you could match him with to make the fight competitive. Stefan Struve maybe?
This would have been awesome even three years ago -- have him fight CC and Nog again and tempt Randy to come back for one more big fight. Now I think it might just be ugly -- Fedor turns 39 this month and hasn't fought in > 3 years. Be interesting to see what they do with him at this point, but something tells me that he's just going to be used as a name to build up the mid-tier HWs, and that kind of sucks.

I'd bet Mir for his first fight. Best selling matchup they could make.
I could see that, depending on what Mir does against Arlovski. HW is so crappy that outside of the top few anything can happen realistically.Another fight with Hunt might be decent also.
Yep. I think he crushes Arlovski. I really don't think they'd give him a warm up fight or a non name fighter. So that eliminates Stipe, Struve and Rothwell. Cain and Werdum are tied up and Fedor won't get a title shot so I doubt either of them. That leaves Hunt, Mir, Bigfoot and JDS. Bigfoot and JDS don't sell fights. So down to Hunt and Mir and Mir is the bigger sell.

Reem and Barnett also maybe -- and IMO he loses badly to either. Fedor should really just probably be doing "Legends" type matches at this point -- but unfortunately with Nog's retirement (and Randy's a while back) there isn't anyone outside of maybe CC who fits that framework. I think outside of the total scrubs at the bottom of the roster, most of the UFC HWs are big trouble for him at this point.

Big name catchweight fights against fading stars like Anderson or Rampage would make more sense than say feeding him to Stipe or JDS. They'd probably sell more AND be more competitive fight-wise. I know that all of the internet fanbois on the MMA sites are going nuts and thinking he's coming for the UFC HW belt, but that's a complete pipedream at this point, given his age and the layoff, not to mention his recent results.

I can totally see Dana giving him a few brutal matchups like Cain, JDS, and Stipe just so he can give the old "told you all he wasn't that great."

Valerie Letourneau gets the next shot at Jedrzejczyk's title, at UFC 193. Oddest matchmaking. Not sure why Claudia Gadelha was shunned. She's not injured, and Letourneau hasn't been built up as a proper challenger at all - sort of like their flyweight matchmaking.

Valerie Letourneau gets the next shot at Jedrzejczyk's title, at UFC 193. Oddest matchmaking. Not sure why Claudia Gadelha was shunned. She's not injured, and Letourneau hasn't been built up as a proper challenger at all - sort of like their flyweight matchmaking.
I just can't believe Vili Fualaau agreed to let his woman step into the cage.

The UFC wants Joanna on the undercard for Rousey, and Gadelha is injured and won't be ready for Nov. 14th.

UFC probably doesn't think Joanna is enough of a draw to put on the Jan 2nd cards as a co-main to Lawler-Condit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then. Knew Gadelha had a hurt finger, but didn't imagine it would keep her out that long. Still disagree with the matchmaking, though.

Holiday weekend but probably not the best sign for buys tonight that not a single comment on tonight's card. I haven't watched a second of it and don't plan to (saw someone mention it on Twitter and had no idea there was even a card). I don't know about anyone else but I'm completely burned out on ufc right now. Unless it's rousey/mcgregor/jones I have no desire to watch

Holiday weekend but probably not the best sign for buys tonight that not a single comment on tonight's card. I haven't watched a second of it and don't plan to (saw someone mention it on Twitter and had no idea there was even a card). I don't know about anyone else but I'm completely burned out on ufc right now. Unless it's rousey/mcgregor/jones I have no desire to watch
Solid B- main card tonight, IMO. Manuwa v Rumble, Mir v Arlovski and DJ vs Dodson.

Main card was absolutely brutal. Only moment of actual note all night was Lineker/Rivera, which was, admittedly, phenomenal. Mighty Mouse, on the other hand, is still incredibly technical and incredibly boring to me. 25 minutes of slow cooking leading nowhere. Everything else was forgettable.

Main card was absolutely brutal. Only moment of actual note all night was Lineker/Rivera, which was, admittedly, phenomenal. Mighty Mouse, on the other hand, is still incredibly technical and incredibly boring to me. 25 minutes of slow cooking leading nowhere. Everything else was forgettable.
winner winner, chicken dinner

Mir - Arlovski was a bit of a disappointment. I like DJ's fights so I wasn't dissatisfied there. Really impressed with his domination of Dodson. He absolutely has cleaned out his division, basically beating anyone of note twice.

SacramentoBob said:
Mir - Arlovski was a bit of a disappointment. I like DJ's fights so I wasn't dissatisfied there. Really impressed with his domination of Dodson. He absolutely has cleaned out his division, basically beating anyone of note twice.
Totally agree. I am usually anti-littleguys, but Mighty Mouse is awesome to watch. That is one focused dude.

Not sure if any of you all caught the first episode of the new season of TUF, but I enjoyed it.

Seemed like nearly all of the guys fighting were really fighting like they wanted to be there and wanted to win. Some solid high energy guys.

If you have given up on the show, I think it would be worth taking a look at this first episode and seeing if you want to give it another shot.

Not sure if any of you all caught the first episode of the new season of TUF, but I enjoyed it.

Seemed like nearly all of the guys fighting were really fighting like they wanted to be there and wanted to win. Some solid high energy guys.

If you have given up on the show, I think it would be worth taking a look at this first episode and seeing if you want to give it another shot.
Faber was a riot ....he was nailing Conner left and right with smart ### remarks

I was reading a blog one of the TUF fighters is writing.

He said that when they get to the hotel, they are sequestered for 2 days with no training.

Then they got one day of light training before they fought.

Reading this made me wonder if or how the fighters make weight for the fight to get in the house.

Some great fights to get into the house.

I thought the prelim fights episode 1 were better than the entire last TUF season :2cents: The heel hook that Ryan Hall locked on and got the submission was pretty sweet.

Some great fights to get into the house. I thought the prelim fights episode 1 were better than the entire last TUF season :2cents: The heel hook that Ryan Hall locked on and got the submission was pretty sweet.
Totally agree with your comparison to last season.

Thanh Le was fun to watch though it sounds like his ground game is week.

There was a hint that the teams could save one of the guys that lost. I'm hoping if that is the case that mcgregor picks the French dude who lost the first fight.

Though I'm afraid he will pick the Russian fighting out of Ireland.

The European who won that first fight is a tough dude. He is my early pick to win it all.

Some great fights to get into the house. I thought the prelim fights episode 1 were better than the entire last TUF season :2cents: The heel hook that Ryan Hall locked on and got the submission was pretty sweet.
Totally agree with your comparison to last season.

Thanh Le was fun to watch though it sounds like his ground game is week.

There was a hint that the teams could save one of the guys that lost. I'm hoping if that is the case that mcgregor picks the French dude who lost the first fight.

Though I'm afraid he will pick the Russian fighting out of Ireland.

The European who won that first fight is a tough dude. He is my early pick to win it all.
the kickboxing guy? yeah, he was nails. the other guy looked more the part, but when it started, the kickboxer guy was just picking him apart.

I hope that Thanh Le guy makes it far, he's exciting. hopefully Faber can coach up his wrestling.

Brett Okamoto ESPN Staff Writer
Nevada State Athletic Commission suspends UFC welterweight Nick Diaz five years for third marijuana offense since 2007.

Nevada State Athletic Commission suspends UFC welterweight Nick Diaz five years for third marijuana offense since 2007.
Oooof.
i'm just amazed that NSAC is throwing all of these out there, and the boxers who come in get away with pretty much anything. just strange all around
Does this ruling mean he can't fight in Nevada or does it have implications else where?

Oooof.
i'm just amazed that NSAC is throwing all of these out there, and the boxers who come in get away with pretty much anything. just strange all around
Does this ruling mean he can't fight in Nevada or does it have implications else where?
pretty sure he can't fight anywhere, or at least that is the expectation, but guys have got around it before. i guess if there is a fighter who would Diaz is one of them. i mean the 5 year ban is dumb, i forget how old he is but that is pretty much his career

Oooof.
pretty sure he can't fight anywhere, or at least that is the expectation, but guys have got around it before. i guess if there is a fighter who would Diaz is one of them. i mean the 5 year ban is dumb, i forget how old he is but that is pretty much his career
How does a state run athletic commission have the power to say whether a fighter can fight in any other state or even in another country like Brazil?

Users who are viewing this thread