What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Uniforms which should never have been changed (3 Viewers)

Love those Quebec unis too but the "hidden H" in Hartford's sweater is genius.
I own both those jerseys.
Been dying to get a Nordiques jersey. As well as a Kansas City Scouts (either home or away) and my personal Holy Grail -- the always-fun teal California Golden Seals jersey, which seems impossible to find a non-knockoff version. I do have a Whalers green, Cleveland Barons white, a Neal Broten North Stars green.
Can I buy the Barons jersey from you?
Alright well think about it and let me know
Ha! Somehow missed this the first time around. Find me a Seals jersey I like and it's all yours!

The SAINTS uniform that was scrapped 1969

http://www.helmethut.com/feat.html
This is how the Saints used to be run:

In 1969 Saints owner John Mecom Jr. Wanted a new look for his team's third NFL season. Since their inception, the Saints had worn beautiful gold numerals on white or black jerseys, gold pants and gold helmets with a black fleur de lis symbol on each side. But they were about to make the most controversial and short-lived uniform change in their history. For the 1969 pre-season, Mecom sent his troops out wearing black helmets with a gold fleur de lis on each side. It was a mistake. To begin with, Mecom had failed to register the black helmets with NFL office. The league's entire line of merchandise represented the Saints with gold helmets, so the league wouldn't license the black helmets. Faced with pressure from the league office, and poor fan response, Mecom quickly decided to scrub the idea. He found himself with a locker room full of black Saints helmets. At the time, the NFL was still operating a type of farm system as feeders for NFL clubs. The Saints' farm team was the Richmond Roadrunners, coached by J.D. Roberts, who in 1970's would replace Tom Fears, becoming the Saints' second head coach. Mecom shipped the entire batch of black helmets to Richmond, and the Saints were back in their familiar gold helmets for the 1969 opener against Washington.

I don't know if it was already posted, but the Devils should go back to the red and green uniforms. Those look much better.

Love those Quebec unis too but the "hidden H" in Hartford's sweater is genius.
I own both those jerseys.
Been dying to get a Nordiques jersey. As well as a Kansas City Scouts (either home or away) and my personal Holy Grail -- the always-fun teal California Golden Seals jersey, which seems impossible to find a non-knockoff version. I do have a Whalers green, Cleveland Barons white, a Neal Broten North Stars green.
Can I buy the Barons jersey from you?
Alright well think about it and let me know
Ha! Somehow missed this the first time around. Find me a Seals jersey I like and it's all yours!
what size?

Most of you know how I feel about the hideous change the Rams made. (If you don't, it makes me homicidal).
St. Louis is honoring the 15th anniversary of the Super Bowl-champion Rams tonight (has it been 15 YEARS??? :topcat: ) and they are breaking out the sweet throwbacks.

You'll notice some subtle differences in the uniform that I love and this one. The stupid "collar" effect, no stripes on the socks, the shoulder stripes don't go all the way underneath the armpit anymore, due to the way the jerseys are cut, and they don't look as good indoors as they do in the sun.

But beggars can't be choosers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of you know how I feel about the hideous change the Rams made. (If you don't, it makes me homicidal).
St. Louis is honoring the 15th anniversary of the Super Bowl-champion Rams tonight (has it been 15 YEARS??? :topcat: ) and they are breaking out the sweet throwbacks.

You'll notice some subtle differences in the uniform that I love and this one. The stupid "collar" effect, no stripes on the socks, the shoulder stripes don't go all the way underneath the armpit anymore, due to the way the jerseys are cut, and they don't look as good indoors as they do in the sun.

Who is #42 in that first picture. Looks like a bull. Huge upper body.

Greg Bell.

ETA: he was an average-size back. Everyone just wore monster shoulder pads back in the day. Take a look at the pads a safety used to wear. They are way bigger than what defensive tackles wear today.

Last edited by a moderator:
So why are the blues different color between the rams helmets and jerseys? Never made sense to me

St. Louis is honoring the 15th anniversary of the Super Bowl-champion Rams tonight (has it been 15 YEARS??? :topcat: ) and they are breaking out the sweet throwbacks.You'll notice some subtle differences in the uniform that I love and this one. The stupid "collar" effect, no stripes on the socks, the shoulder stripes don't go all the way underneath the armpit anymore, due to the way the jerseys are cut, and they don't look as good indoors as they do in the sun.But beggars can't be choosers.
If you're going to throwback, you gotta go with Roman Gabriel blue and white threads.

The collars the last two years have been ####### awful.

I like the blue helmets not matching the blue jerseys. Reminds my of how the Vikings looked before they made theirs worse.

St. Louis is honoring the 15th anniversary of the Super Bowl-champion Rams tonight (has it been 15 YEARS??? :topcat: ) and they are breaking out the sweet throwbacks.You'll notice some subtle differences in the uniform that I love and this one. The stupid "collar" effect, no stripes on the socks, the shoulder stripes don't go all the way underneath the armpit anymore, due to the way the jerseys are cut, and they don't look as good indoors as they do in the sun.But beggars can't be choosers.
If you're going to throwback, you gotta go with Roman Gabriel blue and white threads.
I get nostalgia and everything, but man.... I don't see it. These uniforms got all magical and #### when they added the yellow.

NFL

NY GIANTS should have never changed their helmets.

Buffalo needs to stay with the white helmets, Chargers need to always wear powder blues and white helmets at home.

And people think I'm nuts, but my favorite all-time NFL uniform is this one.

MLB:

Brewers need to use these all the time, and use them with this hat on on the road.

The A's can't wear these enough.

Cleveland should just fold, I don't care about their uniforms.

Mariners need to go back to these or some sort of hybrid. Maybe get inspired by Arizona State?

NBA:

Warriors and the Kings need to use these but incorporate this.

NHL:

The best sport for jerseys/sweaters, so many good ones. I hate the new Dallas Stars sweaters, and the Ducks have a terrible mascot so their are gonna suck regardless. Ottawa needs to use these as much as possible, rulez.
I concur 100% about the Giants helmets. In my old NFL2K franchises I always used the throwback.

I get nostalgia and everything, but man.... I don't see it. These uniforms got all magical and #### when they added the yellow.
The Rams wore those blue jerseys very rarely in the fearsome foursome era.

I agree about the yellow though. It somehow made them look more LA.

The 70's pirates hats I always thought were sharp. .
Which ones? The Roberto Clemente mustard caps? Or the "We Are Family" pillbox caps (which looked weird with those no-button doubleknit jerseys).

The pillbox caps were sharp, but needed to be paired with more traditional buttoned-down-&-belted baseball unis.
The second mustard cap is kinda cool.

Also, the pillbox picture -- if you scroll down -- of Dave Parker smoking a cigarette in the dugout in full uniform in front of his teammates is special. What a great photo.
I was talking about the pillbox hats.
Not sure if you are from the Pittsburgh area, but these uniforms are hideous.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3399/4648943514_ef7be6f308_o.jpg

The funny thing about most of the thoughts on uniforms going back seem to be what we remember as a kid, I'm not so sure that they are better. However, some of the new uniforms being mentioned as hideous, are spot on and need to go back. Buccaneers are definitely tops in this regard. I also, think they should go back to the heavier wool uniforms for baseball and whatever material was used for football.

Users who are viewing this thread