What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (6 Viewers)

with out a board in place, I wonder if that could delay a transfer for Weston..

======================

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

Juventus board have decided to resign, including president Andrea Agnelli and vice president Pavel Nedved. It’s the end of Andrea Agnelli’s era as Juve president. #Juventus There will be new board and new club structure to be decided in the next months.

Florian Plettenberg

@Plettigoal

News #Pulisic: Rumors about Dortmund, United & Newcastle not hot. Been told that he wants to stay at #CFC in winter! He really tends to this plan. But: Talks could take place if he would receive a great and interesting offer after the World Cup. But it’s unlikely. @SkySportDE

Bummer. I personality think it's time for Pulisic to move somewhere else. We've talked before about how "somewhere else" is the tricky part as he seems to want both playing time and also a big club, which are of course in tension, but rightly or wrongly it just feels like he's not going to break out of the impact sub/spot starter role at Chelsea.

I want to win tomorrow for obvious reasons but I really want the chance to go against the Netherlands. After watching how we performed against the Brits I’m confident we can play with them and would be a great match to watch.

And yes, I’m getting ahead of things but I’m assuming the Dutch win the group and we would finish 2nd.

Reactions: Ned
we get the Spanish group of refs tomorrow. I have no idea if that is good or bad for Pulisic.
I'd sign up for that. Used to the biggest games, technical league with lots of skill players. Probably no dog in the fight. Could be worse.

You never know but I doubt they will let them get away with hacking down CP or Gio consistently without cards. One important aspect to matches like tomorrow is if we can be super aggressive and get some early cards it helps open up a parked bus a little. I still expect Iran to play it closer to how they did against Wales but some early yellow against their defenders would be welcome.

with out a board in place, I wonder if that could delay a transfer for Weston..

======================

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano

Juventus board have decided to resign, including president Andrea Agnelli and vice president Pavel Nedved. It’s the end of Andrea Agnelli’s era as Juve president. #Juventus There will be new board and new club structure to be decided in the next months.

ohh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Juventus is being investigated for financial irregularities which is why the entire board resigned. Rumor is they could be looking at relegation as a punishment, which happened to them in 2006 for another punishments.

Hopefully Weston can get out quickly.

All 26 players are present and participating in warmups at the USMNT’s final training session ahead of Tuesday’s must-win match vs. Iran.
What unbelievable good fortune. It's all you could ask for: healthy, no crazy bad luck, no wild-eyed refs. Just our team against yours for a spot in the next round. 100% of us would have signed up for that at the start of the tournament.

So take this for whatever you think it's worth...

Embrace the game tomorrow! Win or lose, moments like these are why we're fans. You might get kicked in the basement parts, but you'll always remember this game. So try to enjoy the emotions, whatever they are. Redemption stories require faltering. Opportunities for glory take risk of failure -- they all go together.

USA 2-1 Colombia, Leonardo putting Tab Ramos in the hospital, the Captain for Life implosion, the injustice of Torsten Frings and pushing Germany to the limit -- they'll all live with me forever. As will the blood-stained, 9-man defense of a point against Italy in 2006. Same with the ragged, exhausted, last-gasp surrender of points to Portugal in the Brazilian jungle -- I can still picture the whole team drenched, dripping and out on their feet. And of course Go Go USA, Dempsey and Brooks, and Lewis pinpointing a ball onto Donovan's head after Donovan won a 60-yard race. You can't get the good without the bad.

So be in the moment and expect nothing but raw emotion. And be not afraid! The whole of the story is the thing. No matter what happens you'll look back in 20 or, for some of you, 50, years and say "I saw that" and you'll be glad for it.

I don't think I've missed a game since @wet&bumpy because my kid was playing for NCState that night. Tomorrow I have surgery scheduled at 1:30 until 4:00 pm. Thank goodness my doc is a huge college basketball fan. When we first met he spent 10 minutes telling me about a WestVa/Duke game he attended in the 70's. I hope you guys enjoy it and the result is excellent. I guess I'll watch the replay if they win.

All 26 players are present and participating in warmups at the USMNT’s final training session ahead of Tuesday’s must-win match vs. Iran.
What unbelievable good fortune. It's all you could ask for: healthy, no crazy bad luck, no wild-eyed refs. Just our team against yours for a spot in the next round. 100% of us would have signed up for that at the start of the tournament.

I am looking forward to when this is done, to giving GGG a full cycle grade.

But if they make the second round and play a decent game there, I think it is going to make the grading difficult for the full cycle for while we are relatively healthy now, we had historic level injuries during qualifying which I assume was part of why it was so rocky the whole way.

giving GGG a full cycle grade
Barring some sort of whacked out lineup or nutty decision-making in game, IMO...

B- to B if we don't advance. He did most of the things in his control pretty well. Never embarrassed the players or the program. Stayed calm even when things weren't going our way. Pulled in a bunch of quality dual nats. Made nothing but good decisions as far as the first 23 players on the roster. Put them in position to win the Wales game. Got an absolutely outstanding performance vs England. I'd probably have it higher except for all the times the team just hasn't quite looked like a team.

If we advance I'd probably bump that to a B+. At the end of the day getting out of the group has to matter some.

If we get out of the group while gelling in attack, looking consistently dangerous, and put in an epic performance in the R16? A. The team hasn't played together much, so seeing them put it all together in the next 2 games would deserve real credit for me.

giving GGG a full cycle grade
Barring some sort of whacked out lineup or nutty decision-making in game, IMO...

B- to B if we don't advance. He did most of the things in his control pretty well. Never embarrassed the players or the program. Stayed calm even when things weren't going our way. Pulled in a bunch of quality dual nats. Made nothing but good decisions as far as the first 23 players on the roster. Put them in position to win the Wales game. Got an absolutely outstanding performance vs England. I'd probably have it higher except for all the times the team just hasn't quite looked like a team.

If we advance I'd probably bump that to a B+. At the end of the day getting out of the group has to matter some.

If we get out of the group while gelling in attack, looking consistently dangerous, and put in an epic performance in the R16? A. The team hasn't played together much, so seeing them put it all together in the next 2 games would deserve real credit for me.
I like all this, plus the building effect. For once in maybe ever I can see our program building toward something greater. The groundswell over the last several years appears more massive than anything I have felt in my lifetime for this team and program.

I’ve waited my entire 53 year life to see this in the US after being made fun of when I was 6 years old - all the kids at school calling me a sissy for playing a “sissy sport”.

GGG righted the ship and has moved it forward on a large scale. He will forever get credit from me for that.

I am looking forward to when this is done, to giving GGG a full cycle grade.

But if they make the second round and play a decent game there, I think it is going to make the grading difficult for the full cycle for while we are relatively healthy now, we had historic level injuries during qualifying which I assume was part of why it was so rocky the whole way.

Not to jump ahead but one of the things I already feel confident in grading him high on is his dual national gets. Despite what many (including me at times) think of him, the stats paint a very favorable picture of GGG. If he gets to the next round and we play well then I’m not sure how much more we could really have expected from the guy. Quarterfinals and a decent showing there and he really solidifies his spot in the top 3-5 all-time.

My question to you is - do you think there is anything he can do to stay in the job and do you think he would even want to?

My question to you is - do you think there is anything he can do to stay in the job and do you think he would even want to?

yes I think he would want to and I think if he gets to the quarterfinals, he will be given consideration to be extended another cycle. Any other result and I think he will be thanked for his work this cycle and they will interview new candidates to hopefully hire one to start next summer.

Ironically, the better the team does, the more coaches that would be interested in coaching this young team into a home World Cup, which is also the same situation that he might get rehired. Hopefully US Soccer thinks this through carefully.

I think if they're considering hiring him on for the next cycle they'd need to talk to the core leaders in the younger group (Adams, Aaronson, CP, McKennie, Reyna, etc) and get their collective input. Not necessarily each guy gets a veto or anything -- just, as a group, would you be happy if he came back or not?

GGG has several signficant flaws.

It's hard to have faith in him when we have so many players performing in top leagues but have inconsistent results as a side.

So many excuses being made by Federation-bias media sources such as "injuries" and "too young" and "CONCACAF is hard" etc. etc.

My primary criticisms include 1) Decision making - Way too many roster selection mishaps and 2) IMHO he is not a leader of men. I am pleased with the final WC roster selection although Moore and Morris would have not made my roster I can at least understand the why. I also believe he has been tactically sufficient and strong on organization where I would give him his highest mark.

There are certainly better leaders and better tacticians out there and I'm hopeful that with our roster pedigree we can attract a clear upgrade.

\
I think if they're considering hiring him on for the next cycle they'd need to talk to the core leaders in the younger group (Adams, Aaronson, CP, McKennie, Reyna, etc) and get their collective input. Not necessarily each guy gets a veto or anything -- just, as a group, would you be happy if he came back or not?

And I'm guessing they wouldn't be opposed to a change. But that's me reading between the lines.

Embrace the game tomorrow, win or lose moments like these are why we're fans. You might get kicked in the basement parts, but you'll always remember this game. So try to enjoy the emotions, whatever they are. Redemption stories require faltering. Opportunities for glory take risk of failure -- they all go together.

USA 2-1 Colombia, Leonardo putting Tab Ramos in the hospital, the Captain for Life implosion, the injustice of Torsten Frings and pushing Germany to the limit -- they'll all live with me forever. As will the blood-stained, 9-man defense of a point against Italy in 2006 in an already lost cause. Same with the ragged, exhausted, last-gasp surrender of points to Portugal in the Brazilian jungle -- I can still picture the whole team drenched, dripping and out on their feet. And of course Go Go USA, Dempsey and Brooks, and Lewis pinpointing a ball onto Donovan's head after Donovan won a 60-yard race. You can't get the good without the bad.

So be in the moment and expect nothing but raw emotion. And be not afraid! The whole of the story is the thing. No matter what happens you'll look back in 20 or, for some of you, 50 years and say "I saw that" and you'll be glad for it.
Very good post.

All we wanted for game three in this group is an opportunity to advance. And here it is. When it comes to World Cup soccer ANYTHING is possible.
good posts, guys.

I was locked out for so long, I don't remember if I said this earlier... I think I did.

I wanted the US to go into the WC and impose themselves- win, lose, draw- play their game and drive the action. If it had been 3 losses of them doing that, I'd be disappointed but will have been ok with it. But for 3 halves, they've done everythign I'd hoped except win. I hope they can continue that tomorrow. Of course I want them to get the result and get out of the group. But if they play well and continue to impose themselves... I'll have gotten what I wanted and a great step towards 2026

Toldja So

If Wynalda walked this back any further he'd be in yesterday. Doesn't even sound like Gio said much TBH.

Is it proof we've made it as a soccer nation of our players from the 1990s are all drama queens?

wow that is awful.

I wonder if Claudio himself told Wynalda to come clean and fix this. What an embarrassment for Wynalda.

Toldja So

If Wynalda walked this back any further he'd be in yesterday. Doesn't even sound like Gio said much TBH.

No matter what you think of GGG or the situation with Gio that’s a douchebag move by Wynalda.

that is a guy more desperate for attention and clicks than caring anything about the people involved.

And to think of how many people on twitter (the common "GGG is stoopid" crew) wanted to bury GGG over this.

And to think of how many people on twitter (the common "GGG is stoopid" crew) wanted to bury GGG over this.
I can sort of get being unhappy with Berhalter the coach. We all value different pieces of the job differently and there's a few areas where maybe he's not the greatest -- in particular he's not a great offensive mind (which is what a lot of people care about most, especially with a sexy, young, technically gifted squad).

But Berhalter the person has more than earned respect and a big benefit of the doubt IMO. Dude has been nothing but class. I thought that story was junk from the moment I heard it.

• Thanks

But Berhalter the person has more than earned respect and a big benefit of the doubt IMO. Dude has been nothing but class.

Class and USMNT twitter discussions unfortunately do not go hand and hand.

And sadly, people like Wynalda feed into these peoples worst instincts. It is a sewer that feeds into itself because negativity drives exposure in social media.

Here is my Gio take.

========================================

* If he stays healthy, IMO, he is a top 10 US player of all time with a ceiling of the best US player ever.

* The kid is clearly a handful, attitude wise. Ironically, his dad was one of the calmest and most pleasant teammates in US history. I don't think I have ever heard a bad word said about Claudio.

* Adams was born mature. Weston is just a fun loving dude. Pulisic is quiet and reserved. Musah is one of the happiest guys you will ever meet. Aaronson and Jedi seem like solid people and teammates etc etc

* International Soccer teams, historically, are not made up entirely of people with the traits listed in the previous bullet. The good and great teams always have players with either diva or just plain difficult attitudes

* I posit that the team needs Gio's edge to get to the next level. And while as fans we can look at players like Gio and realize how difficult he can be, soccer coaches (who are 95% of the time former players), know exactly how to deal with players like Gio since they were either Gio themselves or had teammates just like him.

* In this era of diversity, lets celebrate Gio's a-holeness :)

Embrace the game tomorrow! Win or lose, moments like these are why we're fans. You might get kicked in the basement parts, but you'll always remember this game. So try to enjoy the emotions, whatever they are. Redemption stories require faltering. Opportunities for glory take risk of failure -- they all go together.

USA 2-1 Colombia, Leonardo putting Tab Ramos in the hospital, the Captain for Life implosion, the injustice of Torsten Frings and pushing Germany to the limit -- they'll all live with me forever. As will the blood-stained, 9-man defense of a point against Italy in 2006. Same with the ragged, exhausted, last-gasp surrender of points to Portugal in the Brazilian jungle -- I can still picture the whole team drenched, dripping and out on their feet. And of course Go Go USA, Dempsey and Brooks, and Lewis pinpointing a ball onto Donovan's head after Donovan won a 60-yard race. You can't get the good without the bad.

So be in the moment and expect nothing but raw emotion. And be not afraid! The whole of the story is the thing. No matter what happens you'll look back in 20 or, for some of you, 50, years and say "I saw that" and you'll be glad for it.

I don't think I've missed a game since @wet&bumpy because my kid was playing for NCState that night. Tomorrow I have surgery scheduled at 1:30 until 4:00 pm. Thank goodness my doc is a huge college basketball fan. When we first met he spent 10 minutes telling me about a WestVa/Duke game he attended in the 70's. I hope you guys enjoy it and the result is excellent. I guess I'll watch the replay if they win.

@BassNBrew
Hope your surgery is successfully and your welcomed with news of a historic US victory when the anesthesia wears off.

@BassNBrew
Hope your surgery is successfully and your welcomed with news of a historic US victory when the anesthesia wears off.

Anesthesia? Bass? Nah man - he’ll be biting down on a stick telling the doc to hurry it up so he can go watch the match.

@BassNBrew

Anesthesia? Bass? Nah man - he’ll be biting down on a stick telling the doc to hurry it up so he can go watch the match.

Here is my Gio take.

========================================

* If he stays healthy, IMO, he is a top 10 US player of all time with a ceiling of the best US player ever.

* The kid is clearly a handful, attitude wise. Ironically, his dad was one of the calmest and most pleasant teammates in US history. I don't think I have ever heard a bad word said about Claudio.

* Adams was born mature. Weston is just a fun loving dude. Pulisic is quiet and reserved. Musah is one of the happiest guys you will ever meet. Aaronson and Jedi seem like solid people and teammates etc etc

* International Soccer teams, historically, are not made up entirely of people with the traits listed in the previous bullet. The good and great teams always have players with either diva or just plain difficult attitudes

* I posit that the team needs Gio's edge to get to the next level. And while as fans we can look at players like Gio and realize how difficult he can be, soccer coaches (who are 95% of the time former players), know exactly how to deal with players like Gio since they were either Gio themselves or had teammates just like him.

* In this era of diversity, lets celebrate Gio's a-holeness :)
I'd say Gio himself needs Gios edge/aholiness to get to the next level.

On this team, only Dest seems to come close. but from the waaaay outside looking in, his chip on the shoulder strikes me as more of a soccer aesthetic I'm gonna show I'm better than you one than Gios fu I'm better than you one.

@BassNBrew

And then running a 50k for recovery.

I do hope the US doesn't leave it too late, because I volunteered for my son's Lego Club without realizing the significance of this date back in September and I'll be lucky to see the last 20 minutes on my phone. Pulling for an improbable Yunus Musah first-half hattrick.

I do think Reyna starts today because of the type of game I expect this to be. But I think the ado over Gio is kind of silly. We've always known that it will be a struggle to get all of our best offensive players into the team. We know that, for whatever reason, Gregg hasn't really played Gio as a CM, and that the MMA midfield is pretty much the foundation of what Gregg wants this team to do. And we know that as a RW, Gio does not offer the ability to run in behind the defense the way Weah does.

So Gio is competing for playing time with McKennie, Musah, Weah, and Aaronson. Aaronson came in to protect a lead against Wales and in a tied game that the US could simply not afford to lose against England. I think it's easy to see where his brand of workrate would be the preferred option in those game states.

Weah is the team's best off-the-ball forward and the guy who keeps defenses that engage higher up the field honest. I think Gio is a better and more talented player, but he's just not as good a fit as a winger in many games. Today, I think he's the best fit. Iran should defend fairly deep and look to counter. Gio is more likely to be able to unlock the defense. He's another option to take a free-kick if Pulisic is struggling. I could also see Gio starting for Musah if we think that Iran is likely to largely concede the midfield, as Musah's ball-progression might not be needed and Gio is definitely better in the final third.

I would not expect McKennie to be subbed unless the US is ahead as the longer it goes on without a US advantage, the more important set pieces get.

• Love
I do hope the US doesn't leave it too late, because I volunteered for my son's Lego Club without realizing the significance of this date back in September and I'll be lucky to see the last 20 minutes on my phone. Pulling for an improbable Yunus Musah first-half hattrick.
Sorry, little scoob, Lego club is cancelled today.
Showing all the little rugrats how to make inaccurate Iranian flags.

Call your shot. How many of Pulisic, Weah, Aaronson, Reyna and Ferreira are in the starting lineup today? Could we see The Jesse Marsch Special (aka "Swarm of Gnats")?

CP -- Ferreira -- Weah
----Reyna---Aaronson

I'll go with...

CP -- Ferreira -- Weah
---McKennie--Reyna

Or maybe Weah doesn't make as much sense today -- with Iran (presumably) sitting deep there might not be room to run into?

CP -- Jesus -- Aaronson
---McKennie--Reyna

I think I talked myself into that last one.

Last edited:
I don't think Ferreira makes a lot of sense, because I don't think Iran's CBs will follow him. I think he'd just end up being allowed to float in Zone 14 and receive the ball. I think Haji starts again as I think he's probably the most likely to be able to do something on a set piece or get onto an early cross or something. My best guess is something like this.

--------------------Wright
Pulisic---------------------------------Reyna
---------McKennie-----------Musah
-----------------------Adams
Jedi-------- Ream-------Zimm-------Dest
-----------------------Turner

Or maybe something like this tasty 3 at the back look:

-------------- Wright
--------------- Pulisic
--------McKennie-------Reyna
Jedi-----------Adams--------- Dest
-----Ream-----Zimm-------CCV