What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (7 Viewers)

I worry having an aircraft carrier in the middle might just clog things up -- seems like there's going to be a lot of people in that space today. I'd like to see someone who can tie all the surrounding pieces together. But Berhalter seems to have resisted that idea so far, so maybe not very likely.

I worry having an aircraft carrier in the middle might just clog things up -- seems like there's going to be a lot of people in that space today. I'd like to see someone who can tie all the surrounding pieces together. But Berhalter seems to have resisted that idea so far, so maybe not very likely.
I think Ferreira is more likely to clog things up. Particularly if you're also playing Reyna. You have to assume Iran plays their fullbacks pretty narrow and let the US full backs have the overlap. So Pulisic and Reyna are not going to be hugging the touchline. They're going to be in the half-spaces. McKennie likes to drift into those areas too. If you play Ferriera, I think you just see a lot of side-to-side stuff at the top of the box.

In a vacuum, I like my 3 in the back formation best for this game as it gives Pulisic a kind of free role and lets Reyna and McKennie arrive late (which will be harder to track). But I don't know if Gregg has even trained the look. But in any case, I want my furthest forward striker occupying two CBs in either look. I don't want the CB's cheating to try to limit the space between them and the full-backs. I think Iran would be very unlikely to play two CBs tight on Jesus, because I don't think they'd feel that he could receive the ball with his back to goal and have the physicality to turn a single CB.

To me today is Shock and Ball time: get that damn ball in the box and take shots. We need shots on goal. The more we get the better our odds are at getting one in the net.

Enough of this move the ball around all day and hope we get a couple of shots. Be direct, flood the box, and make it happen. No more messing around.

Or maybe something like this tasty 3 at the back look:

-------------- Wright
--------------- Pulisic
--------McKennie-------Reyna
Jedi-----------Adams--------- Dest
-----Ream-----Zimm-------CCV
-----------------Turner
C'mon, there's no way we see 3 at the back. Furthermore, it takes an attacking player off the field in lieu of Dest and Jedi playing up higher. I'd rather have Aaronson, Gio, and CP on at the same time somehow.

-------------- Wright
--------------- Pulisic
-----------------Turner
C'mon, there's no way we see 3 at the back. Furthermore, it takes an attacking player off the field in lieu of Dest and Jedi playing up higher. I'd rather have Aaronson, Gio, and CP on at the same time somehow.
Aaronson's not really an attacking player. His G+A/90 and chances created/90 are below average for a Premiere League midfielder (Musah, for all his great ball progression, isn't the finished product as an attacker either). Aaronson's best trait is his pressing, but do you think Iran is going to try to play out of the press all that much? I think they'll be happy to play it long.

And, yeah, one big purpose of the formation is to allow Dest, in particular, to play higher up the field without worrying so much about his defensive responsibilities. If I had to bet on a guy to score from outside the box, Dest is my first bet. I don't think this formation sacrifices a bit of offense. I think it sacrifices some ball-winning in the middle of the field, but that's because I think Iran is going to bypass the midfield.

-------------- Wright
--------------- Pulisic
-----------------Turner
Aaronson's not really an attacking player. His G+A/90 and chances created/90 are below average for a Premiere League midfielder (Musah, for all his great ball progression, isn't the finished product as an attacker either). Aaronson's best trait is his pressing, but do you think Iran is going to try to play out of the press all that much? I think they'll be happy to play it long.

And, yeah, one big purpose of the formation is to allow Dest, in particular, to play higher up the field without worrying so much about his defensive responsibilities. If I had to bet on a guy to score from outside the box, Dest is my first bet. I don't think this formation sacrifices a bit of offense. I think it sacrifices some ball-winning in the middle of the field, but that's because I think Iran is going to bypass the midfield.
You might be right, but why not just play Dest higher anyway and ask Adams to cover his defensive role when he moves forward? That way you can keep another creative player on the field instead of another center back in CCV. Agreed that Dest (or maybe Gio) has the best chance to score from outside the box.

At least offensively, we have gotten nothing from the new set piece coach. We really could use one today, espcially if we can earn some corners again.

At least offensively, we have gotten nothing from the new set piece coach. We really could use one today, espcially if we can earn some corners again.

Would be really nice to see CCV or Swag get their head on a set piece.
Hell I wouldn’t be mad to see short corner to try something different. What they’ve been doing so far isn’t working

I am cautiously optimistic....

I am too but just started getting real nervous the last 30 minutes. Here's what I keep telling myself - if we win, and we should, we earned it and will have a fantastic chance in R16. If we draw or lose we don't deserve it - will be disappointed but there's zero chance we don't go for it today so either way I think I'll be ok with how we played over 3 games (unless something really unexpected happens today).

If we are up 1-0 at 75' I may not be able to watch the screen for the last 20 minutes.

I had to drive down on Friday to see my Mom, so I ended up having to listen to the England game in the car. I understand Zimmerman had some nervy passing moments, but that he also made the defensive play of the game with an early block on Kane. So I'm a bit surprised unless this is a load management thing.

I know CCV has been good for Celtic. I don't think he's ever been great for the US. And I think he's a downgrade on set pieces.

You folks familiar with CCV tell me what he's bringing over Zimm - I hate to say it but Zimm was probably our "worst" player of the first two matches so I get why he might get subbed but I hate messing up something that was working really well.

You folks familiar with CCV tell me what he's bringing over Zimm - I hate to say it but Zimm was probably our "worst" player of the first two matches so I get why he might get subbed but I hate messing up something that was working really well.

The one item that we talked about with Zimm was his field level passing in the last game, which was poor. Maybe GGG thinks we need to improve on that but I never really thought of CCV as a distribution type CB.

The one item that we talked about with Zimm was his field level passing in the last game, which was poor. Maybe GGG thinks we need to improve on that but I never really thought of CCV as a distribution type CB.
It's really easy to envision a match where Ream and the other CB have to distribute and distribute well.

Lineup is out. Sargent in at the 9. CCV in for Zimmerman. No Gio. No Aaronson.
Seems obvious now that Berhalter just plain believes this is our best lineup. Respect that he's rolling with what he thinks is best. It'd be easy to tinker to placate people, but he's willing to live or die with his choices.
The guy wears a child's medium t-shirt on the sideline at the World Cup. I'm not going to miss him.

I was so excited that Gio was finally healthy heading into the WC. What a disappointment it's been that he's been riding the pine the whole time.

Also I am a huge Zimmerman fan. I know he had the dumb penalty and some shaky passing at times but this dude was our rock all throughout qualifying. Maybe our most dependable player. And CCV has never impressed me in a US uniform.

Still optimistic, but scared.

Fine with the lineup. I like CCV and I don't think the moment will be too big for him.

Have to sub early if things aren't working. Can't wait until the 70th

In 2010 when the US played a WC game in S. Africa, trading volume fell 43% during the game. I expect that number to be much much higher today. I know a guy with two thumbs who won't be making a single trade between 11am PT and the close.....

Users who are viewing this thread