What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (6 Viewers)

I mentioned it at halftime... as well as they play- their final touch/ball is consistently so frustrating, it's... frustrating.

except for Jedi!

every touch of his is frustrating. good lord was he awful/great today. sooooo much room for him and Dest to bomb the wings- but it was like watching a U10 players first game- every touch getting further and further away and out of control. just awful and killed so many attacks that should/could've done a lot more. but he's a freak- and covered so much ground... and defended really well- so great/awful job Jedi!

I had hoped that the subs would be about seeing the game out through control and possession... clearly not. Shaq must have some blackmail info to keep getting PT- he has been terrible (and again, I though despite his club lack of play, he was consistently decent for the US when he featured for them).

:CPboner:

Musah and Swag were great today- and Adams even better. Weah and Sarge were fantastic as well... outside of that final touch.

Aaronson... he's looked good- but even for Leeds, it feels like he's lost all desire to attack the goal... getting in and around the box and always looking to pass it off. he needs to find some of that basement magic and get selfish around the goal. like Gio. but Gio's terrible, so I guess doesn't deserve to play when the games scream out for him over and over. over rated and terrible. should've brought Nips instead. :wall:

screw it though- great fight for them today and VERY deserved 3 points. Iran's best hope was to fall down in the box over and over again.
Jedi has to be exhausted. He's been up and down non-stop for 270 minutes. Heavy legs produce heavy touches. I'm done fixating on his limitations. He does so many other things well and there's not another left back in the rotation that is near his league. Yeah, I wish his crossing was more precise, but that probably describes 30 of the left backs in the tournament.

Dest has games where his touch lets him down too. And then he has games like today where you can imagine him playing for literally anyone.

I think he is likely the fittest guy on the team, thankfully because we have nothing else, especially since GGG does not think that Dest can go 90. With out Jedi's iron man over there, our subbing pattern would be put to the test.

Last edited:
Ignoring Yedlin and Scally, I totally forgot Cannon did not make the team. It makes the Moore playing time seem even more of a poor decision.

When do the yellows reset?

at the round of 16. I am pretty sure if we get a win, no one will have to sit out the quarters if they get a yellow. If some one gets a red then they would have sit the quarter finals.
Unfortunately I don’t believe this is accurate. Everyone goes back to zero after the round of 16, but if you get your second yellow in the round of 16 you miss the quarters.

ahh I did not realize that. Thank you!
I think I was a round early after some more reading, but seeing lots of conflicting info. Most sources are saying it doesn’t reset until after the quarters. The thinking is they don’t want people to miss the final due to yellow card accumulation. Yahoo and nbc sports both have an article that says it resets after the rd of 16 though, so I’m not positive. I can’t find FIFA’s official rules online.

It’s funny to talk to people during this who don’t follow the sport. I am probably not even half as big of a fan as you all but the group chat going off today about “MORE EXTRA TIME????” after the 99th minute had me laughing (after the game, couldn’t move for those last 5 minutes).

I have a strange sense of calm right now. I think I put so much hope into advancing that I don't have strong feelings for Saturday because I picture it as a free roll in that the team accomplished the initial mission.

Maybe my anxiety will ramp as we get closer to the weekend but I don't think so.

How are you guys feeling?

Last edited:
I mentioned it at halftime... as well as they play- their final touch/ball is consistently so frustrating, it's... frustrating.

except for Jedi!

every touch of his is frustrating. good lord was he awful/great today. sooooo much room for him and Dest to bomb the wings- but it was like watching a U10 players first game- every touch getting further and further away and out of control. just awful and killed so many attacks that should/could've done a lot more. but he's a freak- and covered so much ground... and defended really well- so great/awful job Jedi!

I had hoped that the subs would be about seeing the game out through control and possession... clearly not. Shaq must have some blackmail info to keep getting PT- he has been terrible (and again, I though despite his club lack of play, he was consistently decent for the US when he featured for them).

Musah and Swag were great today- and Adams even better. Weah and Sarge were fantastic as well... outside of that final touch.

Aaronson... he's looked good- but even for Leeds, it feels like he's lost all desire to attack the goal... getting in and around the box and always looking to pass it off. he needs to find some of that basement magic and get selfish around the goal. like Gio. but Gio's terrible, so I guess doesn't deserve to play when the games scream out for him over and over. over rated and terrible. should've brought Nips instead. :wall:

screw it though- great fight for them today and VERY deserved 3 points. Iran's best hope was to fall down in the box over and over again.
Jedi has to be exhausted. He's been up and down non-stop for 270 minutes. Heavy legs produce heavy touches. I'm done fixating on his limitations. He does so many other things well and there's not another left back in the rotation that is near his league. Yeah, I wish his crossing was more precise, but that probably describes 30 of the left backs in the tournament.

Dest has games where his touch lets him down too. And then he has games like today where you can imagine him playing for literally anyone.
My eternal contrarian.

I love his positives. But his touch hasn't been good...really, ever? His heights are "just good enough" and it's Not just crosses. I felt like he was a solid championship FB, and he's playing past that so far for Fulham in the PL. It's just frustrating seeing the consistently loose touches from a top pro that squash too may US about to be a chance, chances.

Dest...Jedi...not even worth comparing when it comes to touch. Totally different FBs with different skill sets...but Jedis lows are more like today- where fortunately his losing the ball didn't get the US punished, but he's making all the rest of plays with his strengths. Dests lows...no plays are made. He's like Haji today in those games...and seems to hang the US D out to dry in the process. But his highs as you say- are world class. I'm hoping Jedi finds some kind of "good enough" touch, or Holland WILL punish them.

I have a strange sense of calm right now. I think I put so much hope into advancing that I don't have strong feelings for Saturday because I picture it as a free role in that the team accomplished the initial mission.

Maybe my anxiety will ramp as we get closer to the weekend but I don't think so.

Does feel a little like playing with house money. And normally I would say, “I just want us to play well”. But screw that - I expect us to play well - there’s no reason to expect otherwise - and I want us to win. Go out there and go for it.

I have a strange sense of calm right now. I think I put so much hope into advancing that I don't have strong feelings for Saturday because I picture it as a free role in that the team accomplished the initial mission.

I feel great. The US just accomplished something pretty amazing, and these guys are not even in their prime yet!

A great day for the men.

I feel great. The US just accomplished something pretty amazing, and these guys are not even in their prime yet!

A great day for the men.

having effectively two knock out round games (no matter how it goes on Friday) will be nice for the team's experience. It is hard to simulate knock out round games in qualifying.

exact same as you, gb.

Holland have looked a LOT better than I expected here (I didn't have them getting out of the group... completely wrong about them) and even though any team that starts Daly Blind can't be THAT deep or loaded, they have looked rock solid on both sides of the ball. It'll be interesting to see if our MMA MF can continue to control the game the way they have been... if they can, the US has a fighting shot at this provided Gakpo doesn't go off.

but yeah- I said I would've been ok with a performance like today's even leading to them crashing out, so this is definitely gravy for me. they are showing that they can take the game to people... if they can do that again vs holland? wow... whatever the result.

exact same as you, gb.

Holland have looked a LOT better than I expected here (I didn't have them getting out of the group... completely wrong about them) and even though any team that starts Daly Blind can't be THAT deep or loaded, they have looked rock solid on both sides of the ball. It'll be interesting to see if our MMA MF can continue to control the game the way they have been... if they can, the US has a fighting shot at this provided Gakpo doesn't go off.

but yeah- I said I would've been ok with a performance like today's even leading to them crashing out, so this is definitely gravy for me. they are showing that they can take the game to people... if they can do that again vs holland? wow... whatever the result.

I have been putting a stake in a ground saying that GGG should be replaced simply because I don't like two cycle coaches but I am going to have to seriously reconsider that position if we not only advance to qf's, but play well in advancing.

If we put together another game like against England and actually get one to go in and win it will be impossible to not consider how much the historic injuries during qualifying made us look poor at times.

I said it in the other thread but I doubt it is a coincidence between playing well and advancing and the fact that we finally have our best players playing together.

I should probably research this more but I have a feeling I am correct so I will just wing it.

I think we have gotten more minutes from players who barely effected (or did not play at all) in qualifying than in any other WC we have played in the modern era.

Ream, Sargent, CCV, Moore and Haji all have been logging minutes where they either never played or had very little playing time in qualifying.

Ironically, if his was to happen, I figured Gio was going to be prominent in that group.

exact same as you, gb.

I have been putting a stake in a ground saying that GGG should be replaced simply because I don't like two cycle coaches but I am going to have to seriously reconsider that position if we not only advance to qf's, but play well in advancing.

If we put together another game like against England and actually get one to go in and win it will be impossible to not consider how much the historic injuries during qualifying made us look poor at times.

I said it in the other thread but I doubt it is a coincidence between playing well and advancing and the fact that we finally have our best players playing together.
I think Sammy has altered my thinking a bit about GGG and how they look when they play well. for me, it's all about MMA and then the attacking players combining. is that something GGG brings or helps establish, or is something they just do because they're really good and know how to play in spite of GGG.

if they can put together a game like any of these 3 games AND get a couple of final touches right... my goodness, the possibilities.

but where are we expecting the goals to come from in how GGG sets these guys up? were they in a 4-4-2 again today? it seems to help their shape and getting at least an extra body around the box. I didn't even notice. But for me- when they move the ball quickly and do short, short, long- switching the play and point of attack- or get Swag or Musah beating the 1st man in the MF adn driving forward, they look lethal (until the final touch downs them or they find nobody in the box).

exact same as you, gb.

I think Sammy has altered my thinking a bit about GGG and how they look when they play well. for me, it's all about MMA and then the attacking players combining. is that something GGG brings or helps establish, or is something they just do because they're really good and know how to play in spite of GGG.

if they can put together a game like any of these 3 games AND get a couple of final touches right... my goodness, the possibilities.

but where are we expecting the goals to come from in how GGG sets these guys up? were they in a 4-4-2 again today? it seems to help their shape and getting at least an extra body around the box. I didn't even notice. But for me- when they move the ball quickly and do short, short, long- switching the play and point of attack- or get Swag or Musah beating the 1st man in the MF adn driving forward, they look lethal (until the final touch downs them or they find nobody in the box).

It felt more like the old 4-3-3 today with Pulisic pinching in to get in pockets and turn. He was not as wide as he was against England.

Of course I should acknowledge though, that the Pulisic width was defensive width against England and we did precious little defending until GGG closed up shop, epsecially in the first half.

couple more thoughts...

what on earth were Iran doing in the first half? for a team that I think was set up to bunker, with the occasional middle third block and be compact... they were wide open through the middle and especially the wings.

WHAT IN ****S NAME IS GOING ON WITH GIO. I didn't buy the Wynalda headline, and didn't bother even looking more into it tbh. but at this point, I have no idea what to think. I noticed a smiling Reyna gave GGG a hug after the game today- a good sign. but... wtf. Has GGG said anything with any clarity? I feel like we'll get the coach-speak "he's not ready, not the right situation, yadayada" when there has to be some other fundamental crossing of wires between the two.

We have had advanced a few times before out of the group. We even won a group before (with the same 5 points we go this year).

But I am trying to run back every cycle in my mind and I am unsure we have ever played 3 solid games in the same group stage before, at least to the level we played this year.

Can any one remember anything else as consistent? I feel like in the past we got points but were many times on the back foot for most of the game.

exact same as you, gb.

Definitely looked like we shifted to 4-4-2 at some point in 2nd half - definitely when Haji was in there.

As for goals - Weah has shown the speed and the finishing to run behind the backline. And that may be a better route against VVD than crosses.

couple more thoughts...

what on earth were Iran doing in the first half? for a team that I think was set up to bunker, with the occasional middle third block and be compact... they were wide open through the middle and especially the wings.

WHAT IN ****S NAME IS GOING ON WITH GIO. I didn't buy the Wynalda headline, and didn't bother even looking more into it tbh. but at this point, I have no idea what to think. I noticed a smiling Reyna gave GGG a hug after the game today- a good sign. but... wtf. Has GGG said anything with any clarity? I feel like we'll get the coach-speak "he's not ready, not the right situation, yadayada" when there has to be some other fundamental crossing of wires between the two.

in case you care, the Wynalda thing turned out to be a complete lie. Wynalda (I think at Claudio's behest) went back on the air today and recanted nearly everything saying he "mispoke"

As for why Gio is not playing, it comes down to non related items IMO

1) Weston and Dest can't seem to be counted on to go 90 and they are chewing up subs every game

2) GGG's refusal to try Weah at the 9. Had he been more flexible, every minute we have wasted on Haji should have been Weah at the 9 and Gio getting minutes in Weah's place.

exact same as you, gb.

Definitely looked like we shifted to 4-4-2 at some point in 2nd half - definitely when Haji was in there.

As for goals - Weah has shown the speed and the finishing to run behind the backline. And that may be a better route against VVD than crosses.

when we closed up shop, I think we even went 5-3-2 at one point although I am unsure Musah's corpse would agree that he was a field player at the end.

Genuinely happy for you and the rest of the gang. You all have endured a lot in recent years. Glad you guys are enjoying the payoff.

Careful though, shifting expectations can be a real *****.

couple more thoughts...

in case you care, the Wynalda thing turned out to be a complete lie. Wynalda (I think at Claudio's behest) went back on the air today and recanted nearly everything saying he "mispoke"

As for why Gio is not playing, it comes down to non related items

1) Weston and Dest can't seem to be counted on to go 90 and they are chewing up subs every game

2) GGG's refusal to try Weah at the 9. Had he been more flexible, every minute we have wasted on Haji should have been Weah at the 9 and Gio getting minutes in Weah's place.

I’ve been vocal about Gio needing minutes but it’s at least a little hard to fault GGG when the MMA midfield has been so good and the 3 wingers ahead of Gio are CP, Weah and Aaronson. I’d love to know if Gregg has at least considered Weah up top.

Genuinely happy for you and the rest of the gang. You all have endured a lot in recent years. Glad you guys are enjoying the payoff.

Careful though, shifting expectations can be a real *****.

at least we have 3.5 years to pretend before reality kicks in :)

I’ve been vocal about Gio needing minutes but it’s at least a little hard to fault GGG when the MMA midfield has been so good and the 3 wingers ahead of Gio are CP, Weah and Aaronson. I’d love to know if Gregg has at least considered Weah up top.

He publically stated in his press conference before the Iran game that he has not considered Weah (or anyone else) for the 9 outside of the 3 guys we already know.

He publically stated in his press conference before the Iran game that he has not considered Weah (or anyone else) for the 9 outside of the 3 guys we already know.

Interesting - it’s a tough call. Maybe Weah wants no part of it. Weah reminds me a little of Rashford who frequently disappears as a 9 but has speed to burn on the wing and can make runs in behind, just like Weah did against Wales and today.

And now it seems a given that Sargent will start if healthy.

Interesting - it’s a tough call. Maybe Weah wants no part of it. Weah reminds me a little of Rashford who frequently disappears as a 9 but has speed to burn on the wing and can make runs in behind, just like Weah did against Wales and today.

the side line reporter mentioned that Sargent came off in tears which I instantly assumed meant he knew he hurt himself bad and was done but I have heard nothing since then to make me think it is serious. Have you heard any updates on our favorite ginger?

the side line reporter mentioned that Sargent came off in tears which I instantly assumed meant he knew he hurt himself bad and was done but I have heard nothing since then to make me think it is serious. Have you heard any updates on our favorite ginger?

Heard nothing - it looked bad but I think maybe was more scary than impactful - assuming no ligament damage I would think he should be ready but I’m no doctor.

you know what I don't understand tactics wise?

Why is every single team giving Ream as much time as he wants on the ball when it is clear that the other CB or Adams are not great passers? Why not deny Ream the ball and force another player to start the attack? Is it the fear of getting too unbalanced which allows Ream 5 seconds at time on the ball?

I noticed he was walking, on his own, without a limp, off the field after the game and smiling.

Watching the replay now - we look damn sexy out there. This first 20 minutes is total domination.

If some one put together a compilation of all our offensive highlights right up to the final ball encompassing these three games, I think I would have predicted anywhere from 6-8 goals instead of the 2 we got.

And this excites me because we played really good defense with out having to bunker.

Heard nothing - it looked bad but I think maybe was more scary than impactful - assuming no ligament damage I would think he should be ready but I’m no doctor.

Sargent was walking around celebrating on the field at the end with a huge smile.
I took that as a good sign.

I look at our best players so far, of which there's actually been quite a few, and here's what's crazy to me

Turner -- We weren't even sure he was going to be our starting GK up until recently. That's just crazy to me. If Steffen was back there, I'm convinced there's no way we get out of this group. Turner has been fantastic.

Adams -- Boy was he putting in some dreadful performances for us not too long ago. So much talk of him regressing. And now, he's playing at an obscene level. World class level.

Ream -- I already posted about owing him an apology. He's simply been unreal. Not sure where we'd be without him right now, and that's crazy.

Dest -- See Adams. Another guy that was getting worse and worse, lost playing time, and now he's simply been spectacular.

because we played really good defense with out having to bunker
This is the most exciting thing of all to me. Our midfield three and CBs have been able to stifle the other teams while still attacking when we have the ball.

We've wasted a lot of dangerous positions and still don't have a true goal-scorer, but being able to do what we're doing right now is THE hallmark of a really good team IMO.

except for Jedi!

I Just finished watching and you summed up my feelings perfectly and I would add Ream to the stand out list.

I appreciate you. 👊

As much as I loved and appreciated Miles, I am convinced we may not have advanced if he stayed healthy and Ream was subsequently not rostered.

That being said, Gakpo scares the living hell out of me. We have not faced any striker in qualifying or at the WC with his combination of size, speed, and balance. I think only Miles had the physical tools to match him. Ream and CCV/Zimm are going to have to approach this carefully. Certainly he is not as good as Kane but Kane plays a much different style than Gakpo.

On a more positive note, I could probably only use one hand to count the amount of players in WC history who have scored in 4 straight games so there is a chance he cools off.

Users who are viewing this thread