What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vincent Jackson's Return (wk 12) (1 Viewer)

amazing. some ppl called this. not me, but there are gonna be some insufferable i told ya so's in the future in this place.
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until we hear more about the injury, but I wouldn't blame him if it was the plan from the beginning. Wouldn't a team doctor have to diagnose the injury and report to the coaching staff that he was out?

amazing. some ppl called this. not me, but there are gonna be some insufferable i told ya so's in the future in this place.
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until we hear more about the injury, but I wouldn't blame him if it was the plan from the beginning. Wouldn't a team doctor have to diagnose the injury and report to the coaching staff that he was out?
You wouldn't blame him? What about his teammates out there? What about Gates and what he's trying to fight through?If they found out he was faking that injury they should ban him from the league. That's the last thing any team needs who's fighting for a division title is a guy only thinking of himself.i'd be very said for Vincent Jackson if this was true.

wow.. i was tied with my opponent, had VJax to go and he had Fitz tomorrow.. Was jsut settling down to watch the game and this!! WTH? I guess you guys who said he would pull up lame were right.. He sure doesn't seem to have a problem walking around the sidelines.. while Gates can hardly stand but is toughing it out.. So much for the fluff stories from the chargers saying all was good with him now.... damn.. this puts me ouf of the playoffs.

I am actually torn on this. I have to choose 2 of the below (PPR):Dwayne BoweLarry FitzgeraldVincent JacksonSantonio HolmesLineup Dominator has me going Fitz/Jax so that's what I am doing. But I keep picking the wrong 2 receivers in this league. Last week I started Nicks/Fitz (who both had good games), but Bowe/Holmes blew up. Of course I am starting Bradshaw/Morris at RB, so the team has a few issues.
Did you really sit D.Bowe :lmao: The guy has been a machine since WEEK SIX!!! Does your league count TD's :pickle:

I'm as pissed as everyone else as this killed me in multiple leagues, but I don't think this would go well for him at all if he's faking an injury. There's no reason for the Chargers to go along with it, and it would add another huge negative to his resume when he's trying to get a big contract.

In fact, this would be 1000% bigger of a negative than his previous offenses if I'm a GM looking to sign him--making mistakes off the field or having a business dispute over a contract is one thing, but faking an injury and quitting on your teammates who welcomed you back with open arms would be a huge red flag.

Ok guys calm down, temper your expectations this week for VJ. You have been warned!

Its nice for the lack of depth right now for Rivers, but he could just as easily be used as a decoy, not be in on all the snaps, yada yada

And remember VJ could care less if the Chargers go to the playoffs/sb
Did he tell you this personally or do you have a link? No you dont because you are speculating because thats probably what you would do were you in his shoes but this line of thinking is flawed for the following reasons:1. He doesnt have a ring and sure could use one. Those rings sure are purtty

2. He is still good friends with all his team mates and coaches- The GM sucks but all the Chargers players know that.

3. There is no guarantee that the team he plays for next year or the next 10 years wins a super bowl so every year counts

4. The better he looks playing now the more interested other teams will be- see Michael Vick. Jackson wants those suspensions and driving under the influence chargers to be the last thing on GM's minds.

I could go on but you get the point.

Jackson this week will be huge considering him, T.O. and Harvin for my #3 WR position this week and VJ may get the gig.
You seriously going to bench TO for VJ this week? wtfAll your reasons are weak sauce, and Vick is staying in Philly he ain't going anywhere else
Now do you seriously see why I benched him? Get back to me now after VJ goes off Sunday. :)
I'm getting back to you, and yes you should have listened to me... jus sayin :) The Vincent Jackson drama continues... NOT staring him with confidence

There's always room for a mega-talented player, and Jackson has the advantage that the other GMs have dealt with AJ Smith as well.

Won't hurt him at all IMO.

I am having a hard time with this one. FBGs has VJ rated really high and I am wondering if that is just the hype or what. Other than he is in the right situation, what other rationale are people using to justify this? :popcorn:

How many players have we seen that come off a long, extended hold out and either have conditioning problems or pull something the minute they are back? If I had a dollar for how many times you have heard an announcer talk about, "Well so and so is going to have to get used to GAME SPEED vs just practice speed" when talking about a player post-hold out.

I have CJ, Austin, Tampa Mike, Hines Ward and VJ and can only start 2.

CJ will be in, but just don't know if I am willing to take a chance on benching Austin to take a gamble on VJ.
This guy knew what he was talking about and was summarily dismissed.

I am having a hard time with this one. FBGs has VJ rated really high and I am wondering if that is just the hype or what. Other than he is in the right situation, what other rationale are people using to justify this? :popcorn:

How many players have we seen that come off a long, extended hold out and either have conditioning problems or pull something the minute they are back? If I had a dollar for how many times you have heard an announcer talk about, "Well so and so is going to have to get used to GAME SPEED vs just practice speed" when talking about a player post-hold out.

CJ will be in, but just don't know if I am willing to take a chance on benching Austin to take a gamble on VJ.
ya but vjax had been practicing for 3-4 weeks with the team.

ya but vjax had been practicing for 3-4 weeks with the team.
Unless he's faking - wouldn't be surprised

There's always room for a mega-talented player, and Jackson has the advantage that the other GMs have dealt with AJ Smith as well.Won't hurt him at all IMO.
AgreedWas AJ so arrogant, that he couldn't see this coming? Many here could see it, why couldn't he?

You wouldn't blame him? What about his teammates out there? What about Gates and what he's trying to fight through?If they found out he was faking that injury they should ban him from the league. That's the last thing any team needs who's fighting for a division title is a guy only thinking of himself.i'd be very said for Vincent Jackson if this was true.
Difference is that if VJ gets hurt badly he has no contract for next year. That is why he held out to begin with, more money and security of a multiple year deal. Also the way the GM did him I wouldn't blame him the GM made it personal. I hate selfish me first athletes, but VJ's situation is one of the few times I can understand why things worked out how they have. I am getting screwed by this in one league big time but this stuff happens.

i guess there are 3 possibilities why he is on the sideline

a) legit injury

b) legit injury due to being out of shape/rusty

c) fake injury

id put c most likely, with a next.

i guess there are 3 possibilities why he is on the sideline

a) legit injury

b) legit injury due to being out of shape/rusty

c) fake injury

id put c most likely, with a next.
Yea, he faked the injury and screwed everyone who started him. I didn't see it coming but i should have expected this with the way AJ and VJax/agents have been feuding.

Should have listened to that little voice inside me, but I have no one to blame but myself. He cost me one league and probably another....

I just have to wonder if this is faked...I hope not. He is a home town guy here, but, if it is, I really hope this comes back to bite him come contract time with another team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should have listened to that little voice inside me, but I have no one to blame but myself. He cost me one league and probably another....

I just have to wonder if this is faked...I hope not. He is a home town guy here, but, if it is, I really hope this comes back to bite him come contract time with another team.
At least you had a voice. I 100% thought he was going to blow up today. I guess that's why people don't pay for nysportsfanguys.com.

There's always room for a mega-talented player, and Jackson has the advantage that the other GMs have dealt with AJ Smith as well.Won't hurt him at all IMO.
I don't know if this is a legit injury or not.However, IF AJ believes for one second that he's faking it, then I would guess AJ would be A LOT less likely to continue screwing with AJ by franchise tagging him during the offseason. Hence he would finally be free from AJ's manipulations and control.This may be why VJax would resort to such a bush league tactic. It would be maximum damage at the worst possible moment to a Chargers offense that has already suffered so many injuries and is so thin at the WR position. And it would be the final straw that ensures his relationship with SD is severed for good. I can't believe that AJ would franchise tag any player that screwed over the team like that. Especially after being actively rostered for a critical game against the Colts late in the season with tremendous playoff implications.And VJax and his agent probably believe as you do that it wouldn't keep him from getting the big FA contract from another team that they've been waiting for.Maybe that's what happened tonight, then again maybe not, but I wouldn't be shocked if that's the way it goes down.

i guess there are 3 possibilities why he is on the sidelinea) legit injuryb) legit injury due to being out of shape/rustyc) fake injuryid put c most likely, with a next.
The radio announcers said he had had his helmet on and wanted to go back in but the team wouldnt let him. He was limping pretty bad though. If he is faking it he is at least making it look like he wants to play.

I am having a hard time with this one. FBGs has VJ rated really high and I am wondering if that is just the hype or what. Other than he is in the right situation, what other rationale are people using to justify this? :thumbup:

Ridiculous.

Ugh!! Yes, I suck. Bloom's projection had them about even, and I thought the SD/Ind game could be a shootout. I think I should just pencil in Bowe/Fitzgerald for next week and the playoffs if I make them (Needed 1 win).

I know its after the fact but im kinda shocked reading this thread and some of the stud Wr's being sat for Vjax last night...you must remember how bad AJ Smith tortured him. He lowered is salary to what amounts to chump change NFL wise. there was no way IMO that VJ was going to play all out or risk getting a bad injury playing for that low figure and after all the BS that was gone on. he has one thing on his mind how fast could he go down and get himself on the IR list. He was saying all the right things to set himself up for what he was about to do. He knows his days in SD are over and why would he ever risk the injury while helping the organization lead by GM AJ Smith to a SB title playing for the minimum pay? Come on guys the chances of that were ZERO. I own ALOT of teams and have him on a few. I played him on two teams that I had just about no choices but him to use. Anyone who has been keeping very close tabs on his situation there with his Agent and AJ Smith had to have doubts, i know i did. Now how this will affect his negotiations for a new deal with is new team and how his friendship with his teammates in SD will be affected going forward i am not so sure. To see Gates limping around in agony trying to play decoy and help out as much as possible on one foot will not go over well in the locker room if it comes out that he was faking totally. Thats why I say he will force an IR spot and not be seen in the room or city again unless hes playing for another team...UGLY situation getting uglier by the minute.

I am also wondering is the SD doctors and there tests and mri's that are sure to come will reveal that he is playing games. For me it would be a shocking coincidence if he is truly that hurt that he cant play at all.

Some of these posts are ridiculous! Why would anyone bench a stud like Calvin Johnson or Dwayne Bowe for Vincent Jackson? There is no way I'm benching either of these two. VJax hasn't played all season, accruing the minimum salary, and with his history. If there are no legitimate alternatives, I guess, personally I'd go to the waiver wire. A phrase that has been ingrained in all of our heads since we started Fantasy Football comes to mind, "Never bench your studs!"

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports that Vincent Jackson has injuries to both of his calves after tweaking his left calf in Friday's practice and the right calf early in Sunday night's win.

The Union-Trib suggests that the latest calf strain resulted from Jackson "trying to be a team player," and overcompensating for the original injury. The initial, left calf injury never made it onto the Chargers' Week 12 injury report. His timetable for return is unclear. Prior to the injuries, V-Jax had reportedly been "a monstrous presence" on the practice field over the last month.

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

Last edited by a moderator:
Yuck! With Nicks out I'll be forced to start either VJax or also injured Mike X. Williams next week in the playoffs. Looks like it could be an early offseason...

Well that sucks. But at least those of us with Floyd and Jackson won't have tough decisions to make down the stretch.

DonnyT33 said:
I know its after the fact but im kinda shocked reading this thread and some of the stud Wr's being sat for Vjax last night...you must remember how bad AJ Smith tortured him. He lowered is salary to what amounts to chump change NFL wise. there was no way IMO that VJ was going to play all out or risk getting a bad injury playing for that low figure and after all the BS that was gone on. he has one thing on his mind how fast could he go down and get himself on the IR list. He was saying all the right things to set himself up for what he was about to do. He knows his days in SD are over and why would he ever risk the injury while helping the organization lead by GM AJ Smith to a SB title playing for the minimum pay? Come on guys the chances of that were ZERO. I own ALOT of teams and have him on a few. I played him on two teams that I had just about no choices but him to use. Anyone who has been keeping very close tabs on his situation there with his Agent and AJ Smith had to have doubts, i know i did. Now how this will affect his negotiations for a new deal with is new team and how his friendship with his teammates in SD will be affected going forward i am not so sure. To see Gates limping around in agony trying to play decoy and help out as much as possible on one foot will not go over well in the locker room if it comes out that he was faking totally. Thats why I say he will force an IR spot and not be seen in the room or city again unless hes playing for another team...UGLY situation getting uglier by the minute.

I am also wondering is the SD doctors and there tests and mri's that are sure to come will reveal that he is playing games. For me it would be a shocking coincidence if he is truly that hurt that he cant play at all.
It is after the fact :confused: Anyway, I started VJ over Maclin in two leagues and lost two games because of it. I didn't need the win in one of the leagues (I was 11-0) but wanted to blow the guy out and flex my arrogance :cry: and in the other I might not make the playoffs because I thought I needed VJ's considerable upside over Maclin's good reliability to beat the best team in the division. I also had AP on both teams, as well.

I suppose there's a lesson in this somewhere. But in fairness, it's the same lesson I "learned" last year when I started Arian Foster in week 14 of the playoffs (when he got benched after fumbling in the first series) - the lesson that caused me to pass on Foster in the early rounds, allowing someone else to grab him in round 4. These kinds of decisions are always made clear by the outcome in hindsight. Overall, I think there is a low probability of a player with sky-high upside leaving the game in the first series and netting you 0 points (even though it's happened to me twice in two years). I may have to rethink that concept, but until then, I'd probably take the same risk if it were offered to me again with a different player.

It is after the fact ;)Anyway, I started VJ over Maclin in two leagues and lost two games because of it. I didn't need the win in one of the leagues (I was 11-0) but wanted to blow the guy out and flex my arrogance :yawn: and in the other I might not make the playoffs because I thought I needed VJ's considerable upside over Maclin's good reliability to beat the best team in the division. I also had AP on both teams, as well.I suppose there's a lesson in this somewhere. But in fairness, it's the same lesson I "learned" last year when I started Arian Foster in week 14 of the playoffs (when he got benched after fumbling in the first series) - the lesson that caused me to pass on Foster in the early rounds, allowing someone else to grab him in round 4. These kinds of decisions are always made clear by the outcome in hindsight. Overall, I think there is a low probability of a player with sky-high upside leaving the game in the first series and netting you 0 points (even though it's happened to me twice in two years). I may have to rethink that concept, but until then, I'd probably take the same risk if it were offered to me again with a different player.
There was bound to be a lot of self-back-patting in this thread whichever way it turned out (there always is around here). The reason VJ looked different to me is that he had been practicing with the team for weeks, which is a lot different than your usual 'holdout immediately gets hurt' situation. Overall I think there was a mix of bad luck and the Chargers not properly reporting an injury that occurred on Friday.

Difference is that if VJ gets hurt badly he has no contract for next year. That is why he held out to begin with, more money and security of a multiple year deal. Also the way the GM did him I wouldn't blame him the GM made it personal. I hate selfish me first athletes, but VJ's situation is one of the few times I can understand why things worked out how they have. I am getting screwed by this in one league big time but this stuff happens.
Good post PapaGeorgio, This is very similar to the Eric Moulds situation a few years ago. Moulds was playing with a bad contract and his current team was running him into the ground and he faked injury to save himself for the next year and the team suspended him from their facilities for being a team cancer (like Philly did with TO) and saved a bunch of money if my memory serves correct. I don't know how they could kick him out and not pay him but it seems like that's what they did.I completely sympathize with VJax in this situation. He's getting royally screwed by SD. The reason he should do this is so that he stays healthy enough to get a multi year contract. If he gets hurt playing for peanuts while trying to get a ring then his family doesn't get paid.

Users who are viewing this thread