What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 02 2023 who should I start thread **OFFICIALLY UNOFFICIAL** (1 Viewer)

Standard scoring, Starting Chubb and Olave, need 2 from the following:

Aiyuk @ Rams - was week 1 a mirage? A product of man vs zone as i've read a few times? or a huge breakout few saw coming?
K.Walker @ Lions - Ran quite well but will the OL injuries make things tough?
J.Williams @ Panthers - can he bounce back? Week 1 was poor but Titans are tough against the run and the volume should be there?
J.Kelley @ Titans - unexpected opportunity, ran well week one, very tough run DEF
T.Allegier vs Packers - Ran great week 1 but was that just a product of Atlanta being ahead throughout?

Thanks!!
I like your options enough to say no to Walker off the bat. I don't trust Seattle enough to risk them on the road against a good defensive front and down both tackles. He can ruin that call with one run but I don't like Seattle this week.

With Ekeler unlikely to travel with the team I think Kelley is an auto start. However remember the Titans are strong against the run. Also Kelley only received one target last week so we shouldn't assume that he will actually step into the full Ekeler role.

Last week wasn't a mirage for Aiyuk necessarily but you can't expect two receiving TDs per game. Eight high efficiency targets should be pretty reasonable though. 6-60 is a reasonable floor. And that defense is so good the offense actually gets tired of having so many possessions.

Allgeier & Javonte both look to be in line for about a dozen carries and 3 targets. They also both have reasonable home matchups. I guess I like Javonte more but that might not be the reasonable conclusion. If you don't like Aiyuk or Kelley I would pick one (or both) of these guys.

Kelley>Aiyuk>Javonte>Allgeier

Thank you but the Williams is Jamaal, not Javonte. Like his matchup this week a lot better than last week which is why i'm undecided
Definitely not Jamaal. Below Allgeier in that case.

Start 1 and drop 1 (can't believe I am carrying more than 1 TE)

Njoku at Pitt
Muskgrave at ATL
Ferguson home for NYJ
Not liking Ferguson until he actually does something.

Musgrave seems like one of the potential beneficiaries of Jones &/or Watson possibly being out.

But Njoku is probably the best player out of the bunch and should benefit from Cooper being limited.

Still a lot of pieces in motion but
Njoku>Musgrave>>Ferguson

Need one for flex. 12 team PPR:

* K. Herbert @TB - Tough matchup against TB run D. May lose touches.
* Z. Moss @HOU - Practiced in full. Sources indicating he could be the lead back. HOU run D is weak. Good spot.
* Kyren Williams vs SF - Terrible matchup. If LAR get behind it seems like he's the 3rd down back as well.
* R. Doubs @ATL -- C. Watson may be out? Not a great matchup against ATLs corners.
* E. Moore @PIT - Keep seeing all this talk about his usage. Potential breakout. Watson seems iffy.
* A. Robinson vs CLE -- D. Johnson out. CLE secondary not a great matchup. Could see PIT just running Harris/Warren a ton in a slugfest.
* J. McKinnon @Jax - Hard to play him after last week's no show. CEL a little ill I guess. In a high scorere, McKinnon could surprise and apparently JAX is terrible against RBs out of the backfield.

Which one?

Thanks
Come on man, help us out by eliminating at least a couple guys.

No interest in McKinnon, Moss or Kyren this week for various reasons.

It's also tough to trust that Chicago offense on the road after last week. I think I give them a small mulligan but... I'm also comfortable waiting a week.

Doubs seems like the right choice is Watson doesn't play so monitor that one closely. Even if he does play I think Doubs is closer to a 1b than a #2 and it seems Love trusts him near the goal line.

If Watson plays I start looking at Robinson & Moore.

Robinson is stepping into Diontae's role and should see a good number of targets. But I think (hope?) Pickens steps up and siphons some targets and I also think Freiremuth and Austin may factor in more. Mostly it's tough to trust Robinson after the past few seasons.

Moore seems like a clear #2 in Cleveland so 6-8 targets seems to be in the table. Not bad, not sure it's inspiring.

Even if Watson plays my feeling is

Doubs>Moore>Robinson
Ha. Lol. Apologies.

A. Cooper apparently aggravated his groin today and is now questionable. That could open up the door for E. Moore.

That bump Moore to the #1 spot?
Still depends on Watson's final status. He's not officially out. It also depends.on Aaron Jones status as the face of the run game changes a lot with Dillon.

Chubb could be the beneficiary this week particularly with Cam Heyward out.

I still probably lean Doubs but acknowledge I may be too high on him, even if I think others are not high enough.

Phrasing!

Packers just elevated P. Taylor RB from the practice squad. Could mean A. Jones out.

And now Pickens was limited in practice. Saturday updates coming fast and furious.
LOL also I forgot that Cooper's injury also bumps Njoku for me.

Still like Doubs more than Robinson.

Dotson apparently is looking at a nice matchup with Denver's #2CB
It's a great thread so not nitpicking...but you (and others) have mentioned this multiple times along with a belief that Surtain will "shadow" McLaurin. IMHO as a Broncos follower this belief is way overblown as an FF predictor.

Surtain doesn't typically shadow a #1 receiver around the field. The Broncos for the last several years have played a mix of man/zone coverages in a Wade Phillips-based 3-4 scheme. Vance Joseph is a direct disciple of Phillips. Specific DB coverages are based on specific play calls.

Last week was somewhat of an anomaly regarding how much Surtain matched up w/ Adams due to Adams' elite abilities and a specific VJ defensive game plan set up to try and shut down Jacobs and Adams. Even then, Surtain was the closest defender only 61% of the time (NextGen).

It is true that CB Mathis had an absolutely horrible game last week. But he's not a horrible CB and, in fact, was very impressive in his rookie year and had one of the better training camps of all Denver players.

-The 24-year-old is the current starter opposite All-Pro Patrick Surtain II, and through his rookie year and this year's camp, he has been extremely impressive.
-Mathis has continually stacked good performances on top of each other, and it has reinforced his status as a potential rising star on the Denver defense.
-Playing opposite a star player like Patrick Surtain II has made opposing quarterbacks more willing to challenge Mathis in pass coverage, but so far in his young career, Mathis has been up to the challenge. Going back to his rookie year, Mathis has displayed an ability to provide consistently tight coverage against opposing teams' starting wideouts. Source: Predominantly Orange.com

The only thing IMO that is predictable is that Surtain will play on the outside 99% of the time and rarely match up with a slot receiver. I watched all the Dotson targets from last week and he's just as likely to line up on the outside as anyone in Bienemy's KC scheme.

Bottom line: Make WAS WR decisions based on perceived overall Broncos defense and secondary strength...and not overthink beyond that.

$0.02

Dotson apparently is looking at a nice matchup with Denver's #2CB
It's a great thread so not nitpicking...but you (and others) have mentioned this multiple times along with a belief that Surtain will "shadow" McLaurin. IMHO as a Broncos follower this belief is way overblown as an FF predictor.

Surtain doesn't typically shadow a #1 receiver around the field. The Broncos for the last several years have played a mix of man/zone coverages in a Wade Phillips-based 3-4 scheme. Vance Joseph is a direct disciple of Phillips. Specific DB coverages are based on specific play calls.

Last week was somewhat of an anomaly regarding how much Surtain matched up w/ Adams due to Adams' elite abilities and a specific VJ defensive game plan set up to try and shut down Jacobs and Adams. Even then, Surtain was the closest defender only 61% of the time (NextGen).

It is true that CB Mathis had an absolutely horrible game last week. But he's not a horrible CB and, in fact, was very impressive in his rookie year and had one of the better training camps of all Denver players.

-The 24-year-old is the current starter opposite All-Pro Patrick Surtain II, and through his rookie year and this year's camp, he has been extremely impressive.
-Mathis has continually stacked good performances on top of each other, and it has reinforced his status as a potential rising star on the Denver defense.
-Playing opposite a star player like Patrick Surtain II has made opposing quarterbacks more willing to challenge Mathis in pass coverage, but so far in his young career, Mathis has been up to the challenge. Going back to his rookie year, Mathis has displayed an ability to provide consistently tight coverage against opposing teams' starting wideouts. Source: Predominantly Orange.com

The only thing IMO that is predictable is that Surtain will play on the outside 99% of the time and rarely match up with a slot receiver. I watched all the Dotson targets from last week and he's just as likely to line up on the outside as anyone in Bienemy's KC scheme.

Bottom line: Make WAS WR decisions based on perceived overall Broncos defense and secondary strength...and not overthink beyond that.

$0.02
Great post. I was only going on what I read in the game thread. Several posters feel strongly about Mathis's weakness in coverage. I don't recall them saying anything about scheme. It is certainly possible that McDaniels schemed plays to isolate Mathis and I would assume, if Mathis is the liability some say, that other OCs would try to do the same.

PPR one WR and one Flex

Jeudy vs WAS
Lockett at DET
R White vs CHI
Tough call. I don't like White as a talent so much which drops him for me.

I love Lockett but am worried about the Seattle offense ATM, probably too much so. But last week was so bad and it wasn't much better when both Lucas & Cross were in the game.

Jeudy is practicing without restrictions, which is great. Not 100% sold that the Denver offense is ready for prime time but they flashed a little last week. I think they could be an offense that gets better continually as the season progresses.

Tentatively
Jeudy>Lockett>White

Pittman or J. Kelley....1/2 point PPR

Leaning Kelley just because of volume.
It's hard to trust Richardson's accuracy long term but he sure seems locked into Pittman. A giant target with a large catch radius and good hands is definitely part of the cure for accuracy issues.

Kelley should have volume but I'm not sure he takes the full Ekeler pass catching role. It's been a liability for him. It's also a tough matchup.

Pittman>Kelley

0.5 ppr need a flex. I'm down to

C. Kirk vs KC
E. Moore @ PIT (Monday)

Also could use Brian Robinson @ DEN, although I'm not sure I like that after watching them slow down Jacobs. Feel like this game could be ugly and low scoring and not a lot of offense.

.5 PPR

Pick 2:

Herbert vs TB
Puka vs SF
Kelley vs TEN
You have three similar options IMO. Really tough call. I can make an argument for l three but...man.

To bad it's 0.5 PPR makes it tougher to choose Puka.

Kelley & Herbert have similarly difficult road matchups.

I like that Herbert was pretty clearly the lead back and Foreman pretty clearly the #2. I also like that Herbert saw 5 targets going 3-37. He's starting to look like a buy low candidate to me.

If Roschon makes a up I think Foreman is the odd man out. IOW I think Herbert's role is safe. Not sure how 14 opportunities translates against the Bucs unfortunately.

Kelley? Yeah, maybe. Probably. But, really? He's been a star in camp and he's apparently next man up in a potentially great offense.

There isn't anything wrong with choosing any of these guys.

Puka probably has the safest floor IMO.

But Kelley may have the highest ceiling and probably has a good floor too. I am perhaps overly concerned about his role in the passing game. I am sure he will get every opportunity to fill the whole role.

I'm going back and forth in my mind a lot but, with not much confidence

Kelley>Puka>Herbert

0.5 ppr need a flex. I'm down to

C. Kirk vs KC
E. Moore @ PIT (Monday)

Also could use Brian Robinson @ DEN, although I'm not sure I like that after watching them slow down Jacobs. Feel like this game could be ugly and low scoring and not a lot of offense.
Yeah, don't disagree about Robinson but he will probably be locked in to the most volume.

It's tough to get a proper feel for either team really but the Denver defense seems stout.

Choosing between Kirk & Moore is a wild guess.

Ridley is prime in Jacksonville and each game we are going to have to figure which other receiver is going to have a nice game (if any). This week I lean towards Kirk being that guy, but who knows.

Moore got solid usage last week and is in line for more this week with Amari now hib led somewhat. Last week was an ### kicking so I expect more than 150 pass yards from Cleveland. But they seem balanced, Njoku should also benefit and Chubb is always in line for taking control of any game.

Moore is probably the safe choice but I'm leaning

Kirk>Moore

Standard scoring.
Can I trust Amari Cooper to play?
Otherwise I have Puka vs SF or Kirk vs KC.

Then i have my flex
Kelley @ TN
BRobinson Jr @ Denver
Allgeier vs GB

Kelley’s history when Ek has missed isn’t very good and that Titans run D is really good.

Standard scoring.
Can I trust Amari Cooper to play?
Otherwise I have Puka vs SF or Kirk vs KC.

Then i have my flex
Kelley @ TN
BRobinson Jr @ Denver
Allgeier vs GB

Kelley’s history when Ek has missed isn’t very good and that Titans run D is really good.
I don't love waiting on Amari without a backup option for Monday.

I have been increasingly bearish on Kirk this week but it's based on nothing but a hunch. And he balled out in two games vs KC last year (16-157-3). Picking the receiver opposite Ridley each week is going to be lesson in frustration but I think Kirk is still the best of the rest.

I like Puka but less so in non-ppr. It's tough to bench Amari for spec particularly without an update on the severity of the injury before kickoff tomorrow.

Because it's standard I think I might roll
Kirk>Amari>Puka

Keeley is frustrating to figure out. He had good reports out of camp and played very well with meaningful snaps against the Dolphins. With Ekeler out it seems like he will get every opportunity to seize the job. I definitely have reservations about the matchup as well as his ability as a receiver but he's in a great offense and appears to be next man up.

I like Robinson for volume but his matchup is no better than Keeley's, His offensive line is probably worse and his quarterback is definitely more suspect.

Allgeier looks like a good bet for 12 caries and three targets most weeks, in close games but what happens if they're trailing? And this is a game where we might find out. But it is a home game and the matchup isn't prohibitive.

Safe play is probably Allgeier because I think He probably has the best shot at a touchdown by a very slim margin.

But Keeley is definitely the upside play.

Allgeier>Kelley>Robinson

Have already started AJ Br💩wn, but need 2 more WR. Lamb and G Wilson are probably the chalk call, but Godwin, Dotson, Q Johnston, and Bateman are also options. I could see starting Dotson or Godwin over Wilson. But I'm heavily leaning Lamb and Wilson. Convince me otherwise, O lineup oracle!

Have already started AJ Br💩wn, but need 2 more WR. Lamb and G Wilson are probably the chalk call, but Godwin, Dotson, Q Johnston, and Bateman are also options. I could see starting Dotson or Godwin over Wilson. But I'm heavily leaning Lamb and Wilson. Convince me otherwise, O lineup oracle!
Brutal defensive matchup, road game, highly suspect offensive line, Zach Wilson.

Great matchup at home, not Zach Wilson.

Lamb isn't even a question IMO

Godwin>Wilson

REVISION needed

Standard scoring w/ full PPR

My situation changed....had Amari Cooper plugged in at Flex but have little confidence to start him

RB (pick 1) M. Sanders, Raheem Mostert, B. Robinson
TE (pick 1) Musgrave or Kincaid
FLEX (pick 1) any other player from above or Allen Robinson who I picked up to hedge w/ Amari....(or wait on Amari and plug in Robinson?)

Thank You

REVISION needed

My situation changed....had Amari Cooper plugged in at Flex but have little confidence to start him

FLEX (pick 1) any other player from above or Allen Robinson who I picked up to hedge w/ Amari....(or wait on Amari and plug in Robinson?)

Thank You
Sanders, Kincaid, mostert. Players are all involved and are solid plays

Need 2 - NON PPR:
terry mclaurin
jerry jeudy
Elijah moore
Please try to remember to include matchups in the future.

I like Jeudy well enough this week. He's apparently unrestrictive in practice and the matchup seems pretty good. This doesn't have the feel of a very high scoring game but you never know.

It looks like McLaurin has exited the injury report so that should mean he's good to go. But for some reason, which means total guess, I don't buy it. He's also playing a tough road game IMO.

Moore had a solid game and may see more action with Amari dealing with a groin injury. Often though, what happens when a #1 WR can't play is the #2 WR (Moore) maintains his role and the void is filled elsewhere. The good news is Moore got plenty of looks last week and even one or two more looks elevates his upside.

Really you have three similar options and should go with your gut. For me that means
Jeudy>Moore>McLaurin

REVISION needed

Thank You
If you want more engagement on your questions in the future, please include the matchups.

Miles Sanders pretty clearly at RB. He is much more involved in Carolina's offense than the others.

I have zero interest in Mostert at New England, with Achane back and in a pass first, last and always offense.

Robinson is a flex option for you but his matchup is prohibitive to be your lead back.

Flip a coin on TEs. I'm thinking Musgrave is a bigger part of the offense but the Raiders haven't covered an opposing TE for over 20 years.
Musgrave>Kincaid

Nothing wrong with waiting on Amari with Robinson as a fall back. It's not ideal because we all feel burned by Robinson the last couple seasons but he looked solid enough in PPR format and if Amari is a full go you'll be happy you waited.

B.Robinson isn't an exciting enough option to change that plan IMO.

0.5 ppr

DJ Moore vs R Shaheed

And
Flex
Odell Beckham vs Gus Edwards
Please include the matchups in the future.

DJ Moore gets a mulligan IMO particularly for an out of nowhere, chasing points option like Shaheed who, IMO needs to do it again before I buy in too much.

DJ>Shaheed

I'll roll the dice on Gus this week. Hill got all the attention with two TDs but they saw the same number of carries and both weren't used in the passing game. It's anyone's guess if one emerges over the other but the likely outcome is they both get around 10 carries and neither will get pulled for the other at the goaline.

OBJ is in a crowded situation and Andrews is back.

Gus>OBJ

PPR

Aiyuk vs LAR
OR
Lockett vs Det?

Also presently have James cook vs LV in at flex . need two of these three?
Aiyuk & Cook seem like great choices here.

I love Lockett and the Seahawks probably deserve a mulligan but without both starting tackles I'm willing to wait a week. Even in a seemingly high scoring matchup (the Seahawks scored 48 & 51 points against Detroit the last two seasons).

Cook>Aiyuk>Lockett

Ugh. Another Amari Cooper Monday night dilemma. TE Premium.

I can bench him and plug in Schultz vs Indy or Ferguson vs Jets (or Rashee Rice @Jax). If Cooper then starts I can insert him *if* I bench Elijah Moore (nope).

Or, I can keep Cooper plugged in, and if he's ruled out I can insert Jerome Ford. Loved Ford's touch count last week, but not what he did with them.

Leaning towards using Ford as my backstop, but unsure of how good Schultz's match-up is against Indy, or what Mahomes can do for Rice.

Ugh. Another Amari Cooper Monday night dilemma. TE Premium.

I can bench him and plug in Schultz vs Indy or Ferguson vs Jets (or Rashee Rice @Jax). If Cooper then starts I can insert him *if* I bench Elijah Moore (nope).

Or, I can keep Cooper plugged in, and if he's ruled out I can insert Jerome Ford. Loved Ford's touch count last week, but not what he did with them.

Leaning towards using Ford as my backstop, but unsure of how good Schultz's match-up is against Indy, or what Mahomes can do for Rice.
I hate predicting non-premium TEs against real football players.

The downside of your strategy is you still don't know how Ford will be deployed if it's not a Browns blowout victory.

But I think I like your strategy a little more, barring some breaking news on Cooper before kickoff this morning.

If.wr so get news on Cooper I probably like [consults Magic 8 Ball] Rashee Rice as your next option. If you're going to roll the dice on an unknown might as well go with the one Mahomes is throwing to.

Josh Reynold vs SEA or Hollywood Brown vs NYG? Leaning to the #2 WR on a high scoring offense over the #1 on a bad offense.

There is absolutely no scenario where I would even think about benching Henry today. This is an A+ match-up for him.

Users who are viewing this thread