What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 2: Waiver Wire Fodder (1 Viewer)

• Rule 103 of the Fantasy Primer
Do not overreact to week 1
The counterpoint to this is that sometimes we screw up when we draft and sometimes the writing is on the wall Week 1. If you don't strike while the iron is hot, you miss out on players like Chris Ivory or Isaiah Crowell, who, while even though they are second or third options at RB on their own respective teams have higher upside than MJD is likely to have the rest of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
The counterpoint to this is that sometimes we screw up when we draft and sometimes the writing is on the wall Week 1. If you don't strike while the iron is hot, you miss out on players like Chris Ivory or Isaiah Crowell, who, while even though they are second or third options at RB on their own respective teams have higher upside than MJD is likely to have the rest of the season.
Yeah, there's a fine line here.

Especially since we are talking about a "small sample size game" all around.

Overreacting to one game is silly of course, but the number of games we had to base the original assessment on is a small one too. This isn't baseball, where you often have a 600 game sample to work on before a player ever even hits the majors.

In football, you get a tiny 16 game sample followed by an off-season of change on the team.

Eddie Lacy, for example, became a Top 5 RB pick based on 15 games. About half of which were played without his team's most important player. I'm not suggesting people adjust their opinion of Lacy in particular, he's just an example.

But in football, you have to be using each week's new information to adjust. One week of information is quite a bit, in the grand scheme of things.

Overreacting to one game is silly of course, but the number of games we had to base the original assessment on is a small one too. This isn't baseball, where you often have a 600 game sample to work on before a player ever even hits the majors.

In football, you get a tiny 16 game sample followed by an off-season of change on the team.

Eddie Lacy, for example, became a Top 5 RB pick based on 15 games. About half of which were played without his team's most important player. I'm not suggesting people adjust their opinion of Lacy in particular, he's just an example.

But in football, you have to be using each week's new information to adjust. One week of information is quite a bit, in the grand scheme of things.
The Point I am making is Eddie Lacy, MJD, and others who were duds on Sunday were picked with high or mid level picks because you liked them.

You have a player picked in the late rounds who you can cut to take flier Chris Ivory, Allen Hurns or others. There is always players who go undrafted and end up producing.

StL Defense...can't get a positive score vs Minny, then u are done!
I think you are underestimating Minnesota's offense with the weapons they have at RB and WR. Cassel is no world beater, but he's a veteran that knows how to move an offense down the field.

StL Defense...can't get a positive score vs Minny, then u are done!
I think you are underestimating Minnesota's offense with the weapons they have at RB and WR. Cassel is no world beater, but he's a veteran that knows how to move an offense down the field.
Not saying they (MIN) are the bottom of barrel. StL offense will struggle all year, which will hamper the Def for sure, but Minny is not a prolific type offense and clearly that means StL Def will see even worse days to come. That is all...

The Point I am making is Eddie Lacy, MJD, and others who were duds on Sunday were picked with high or mid level picks because you liked them.

You have a player picked in the late rounds who you can cut to take flier Chris Ivory, Allen Hurns or others. There is always players who go undrafted and end up producing.
I agree. Just pointing out that one week is a lot of info for fantasy football.

On MJD, in particular, I don't think it's a huge concern that he sucked. That happens. The bigger concern is that DMC didn't totally suck. Going into the year, we really had no clue how that split would go, with most assuming it would be rare for both to be healthy at the same time, I guess.

When a job is likely up for grabs, sucking is always going to be a concern, even if it's on the road against a good team. Not that I'd recommend dropping or trading him though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riley Cooper, I am cutting him can't wait. Didn't really want him on my team but didn't see anyone worth picking up.
Riley Cooper will likely outperform last year's numbers, but probably not by a wide margin. Only cut him if you for some reason expected more of that.

Users who are viewing this thread