What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 8 Waiver Wire (1 Viewer)

Witten played every snap this week. Escobar played about 40%, which is slightly more than his season average but not by much. I'll pass.

Mason, Robinson, and Baldwin are the obvious top tier of pickups, if they're available, with the Buf RBs right behind them.

Martavis if you need help at WR. The way Ben looked for him tonight in the red zone, especially his first game, makes me think as they build chemistry, he'll continue to look his way often during the rest of the season.

I like Mason but Fisher sounds like he will not give him the job. Brown is my top wire gem in Buffalo. I hope.

Donte Moncrief - Reggie Wayne has an elbow injury, and Moncrief out-snapped Hakeem Nicks 23-19 in week 7. The future could be now.

Bryant shows some nice potential and is a prime stash to be sure but something tells me the Steelers aren't ready to just toss Wheaton on the trash heap just yet. They invested an awful lot of time in the pre season trying to groom him for that # 2 role and there may still be some time for him to figure it out. Maybe this will be the kick in the pants he needs to step up his game. Next year of course all bets are off for Wheaton If he doesn't look significantly better by the end of this season.

Mason v Bryce v Denard is the real question this week. They all have holes in their game.

Mason could get benched in passing situations or generally for Cunningham or Stacy if they stick to "hot hand".

Brown fills the spiller role, which wasn't much. He has potential to stay on the field more, but he also has a penchant for fumbles and taking losses instead of pushing forward, which could lead to Dixon really eating into his time. Plus will Dixon be a vulture?

Denard plays for the Jags. I don't know that he will get 20 carries again, especially when gerhart returns (even in a reduced role) and I presume Gerhart is a goalline guy and there still is storm mixed in Im sure.

One of these guys could change your season though. I keep reordering them and cannot decide who is safest or has best upside.

I like Mason but Fisher sounds like he will not give him the job. Brown is my top wire gem in Buffalo. I hope.
Tre Mason

Tre Mason entered the national consciousness with a bang on Sunday, ripping off 85 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries in the Rams’ surprising victory of the defending champion Seahawks. Mason showed off the impressive skills that had scouts drooling this draft season. After this impressive a performance, it would be easy to proclaim Mason the next big thing, but it is important to pump the brakes a bit on his Canton enshrinement.

Earlier in the week OC Brian Schottenheimer made it clear the team would employ a “hot hand” approach at the running back position. In this game Mason had the hot hand, but that may not always be the case. Benny Cunninghamstarted and was as involved as Mason early on. If the “hot hand” philosophy continues, we could see a situation next week where Cunningham dominates the carries.

There is also the issue of Mason’s pass blocking. He was on the field for six passing downs against the Seahawks, and was not asked to pass block once according to Pro Football Focus. If the Rams get down big, it is safe to predict Mason’s inability to pass block would relegate him to the sidelines.

With Zac Stacy only given one snap, it is clear Mason has a role moving forward. The real question will be how much the coaching staff trusts the rookie – especially following a potentially costly late fumble – and how much of the field he will see if the Rams get down big. I would imagine not a lot, which will make him a risky play week to week. He is easily behind Bryce Brown as a waiver add, and may be behind Denard Robinson depending on needs.

Sigmund Bloom @SigmundBloom

Won't be surprised one bit if Jonas Gray has something like a 20-90-1 line this week. #patriots just chose to not challenge #jets run D.

Doug Kyed @DougKyedNESN

@SigmundBloom I wouldn't be surprised either. Patriots had 53 total plays. Belichick seemed pleased with Gray's performance.

Looking to add Tannehill and Stepfan Taylor this week. Tannehill has been playing surprisingly well and goes against the Jags next week. And I own Ellington and like an idiot didn't own Taylor... gotta get on that.

Escobar is my backup pick. Weak at TE and he's got 3 TDs in 2 weeks. TE is fairly TD dependent on most teams but if he's a main target then he could have value.

Might see Charles Sims for TB in Wk 10 or 11. TB is turrible but some were pretty high on Sims pre-injury. Martin and Rainey aren't lighting it up by any means.

Mason v Bryce v Denard is the real question this week. They all have holes in their game.

Mason could get benched in passing situations or generally for Cunningham or Stacy if they stick to "hot hand".

Brown fills the spiller role, which wasn't much. He has potential to stay on the field more, but he also has a penchant for fumbles and taking losses instead of pushing forward, which could lead to Dixon really eating into his time. Plus will Dixon be a vulture?

Denard plays for the Jags. I don't know that he will get 20 carries again, especially when gerhart returns (even in a reduced role) and I presume Gerhart is a goalline guy and there still is storm mixed in Im sure.

One of these guys could change your season though. I keep reordering them and cannot decide who is safest or has best upside.
I play Yahoo. They have Robinson as a wide receiver / running back. Being ableto play him as a wide receiver is very intriguing. Don't know why but that makes him more valuable than the other two guys in my opinion. Bryce Brown may well be good but he does fumble and buffalo is not exactly an offensive powerhouse. Mason was picked up two weeks ago in my leagues

Looking to add Tannehill and Stepfan Taylor this week. Tannehill has been playing surprisingly well and goes against the Jags next week. And I own Ellington and like an idiot didn't own Taylor... gotta get on that.

Escobar is my backup pick. Weak at TE and he's got 3 TDs in 2 weeks. TE is fairly TD dependent on most teams but if he's a main target then he could have value.
I was thinking about picking up Tannehill, and playing him over Matt Ryan this week

I don't think I am as high on Mason as everyone else seems to be. I can't trust St. Louis to give anyone a rational load at this point, and we are no more than 3 weeks removed from the major cry for Benny Cunningham. My guess is that everyone will get their share of good games, but it will be arbitrary who gets theirs when. I'd rather go for a Bryce Brown. who has control over that backfield right now. Pick him up, if he produces as he should then ride him, if not then Dixon becomes the new target.

I don't think I am as high on Mason as everyone else seems to be. I can't trust St. Louis to give anyone a rational load at this point, and we are no more than 3 weeks removed from the major cry for Benny Cunningham. My guess is that everyone will get their share of good games, but it will be arbitrary who gets theirs when. I'd rather go for a Bryce Brown. who has control over that backfield right now. Pick him up, if he produces as he should then ride him, if not then Dixon becomes the new target.
the way I walk through this minefield is that Fisher has done this almost a year ago to the day...they had a cloudy backfield and he gave one guy, Stacy, the shot and he was the man for the rest of the year so it wouldn't be the first time. Also, it comes down to production...Cunningham is running for 3.8 ypc, Stacy is running @ 3.9 ypc and Mason is running @ 5.4 ypc. There was a cry for Cunningham because Stacy wasn't doing anything special. So Cunningham was given a shot and what did he do with it? Nothing...so what do they do? They give the next man up a shot, Mason, and what did he do? He ran better than Stacy or Cunningham. In only a game and a couple carries he's had 2 longer runs than both Stacy or Cunningham on 1/4 of the carries. He's clearly more explosive and the offense needs a guy that can bring that.

As others have said, they beat the super bowl champs and he was a big part of that. If you're Fisher who's fighting for his job and his team is 3-3, do you go back to the guys that are running for less than 4 yards per clip or keep feeding the guy that's making plays? There are never guarantees but there are enough positive signs with potentially very good upside to throw your chips down on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
the way I walk through this minefield is that Fisher has done this almost a year ago to the day...they had a cloudy backfield and he gave one guy, Stacy, the shot and he was the man for the rest of the year so it wouldn't be the first time. Also, it comes down to production...Cunningham is running for 3.8 ypc, Stacy is running @ 3.9 ypc and Mason is running @ 5.4 ypc. There was a cry for Cunningham because Stacy wasn't doing anything special. So Cunningham was given a shot and what did he do with it? Nothing...so what do they do? They give the next man up a shot, Mason, and what did he do? He ran better than Stacy or Cunningham. In only a game and a couple carries he's had 2 longer runs than both Stacy or Cunningham on 1/4 of the carries. He's clearly more explosive and the offense needs a guy that can bring that.

As others have said, they beat the super bowl champs and he was a big part of that. If you're Fisher who's fighting for his job and his team is 3-3, do you go back to the guys that are running for less than 4 yards per clip or keep feeding the guy that's making plays? There are never guarantees but there are enough positive signs with potentially very good upside to throw your chips down on him.
Good points all. I own Mason but am still very concerned about that ridiculously stupid fumble of his when he could have ended the game by going down after getting the first down. Not sure if that will cost him snaps immediately, but he is now one fumble away from being on the bench (or so I assume).

Surprised there is not more Jonas Gray love. The Ridley role has been pretty productive this year.

Why does everyone assume Bryce Brown vaults over Dixon?

Good points all. I own Mason but am still very concerned about that ridiculously stupid fumble of his when he could have ended the game by going down after getting the first down. Not sure if that will cost him snaps immediately, but he is now one fumble away from being on the bench (or so I assume).

Surprised there is not more Jonas Gray love. The Ridley role has been pretty productive this year.

Why does everyone assume Bryce Brown vaults over Dixon?
I'm wrestling with the Brown vs. Dixon debate and every 5 minutes I seem to change my mind on who the best pickup will be.

Why are you saying a guy who has been inactive all year and Dixon playing even with a healthy fjax and spiller would "have control" of this backfield over Dixon?

Why are you saying a guy who has been inactive all year and Dixon playing even with a healthy fjax and spiller would "have control" of this backfield over Dixon?
Brown doesn't play special teams, unlike Dixon, so Brown really had no shot at being active until Spiller or Fred went down as they did.

Just because Dixon got the bulk of the workload on Sunday doesn't dictate that will continue. We don't know yet how it will play out.

Brown doesn't play special teams, unlike Dixon, so Brown really had no shot at being active until Spiller or Fred went down as they did.Just because Dixon got the bulk of the workload on Sunday doesn't dictate that will continue. We don't know yet how it will play out.
Sounds like cj anderson

What about Jonas Gray? With the whole Brown/Dixon saga, what's the thought on Gray? Worth trying to get him over Brown or Robinson? Already have Mason and wouldn't mind adding another wildcard.

Ok, let's summarize all the likely to be on the wire names (owned by say 50% or fewer owners), listed in no particular order, by position:

RB

Tre Mason

Brown

Dixon

Shoelace

Cadet

Jonas Gray

James White

Taylor

Rice

Randle

Sims

WR

Beckham

Baldwin

Hawkins

Adams

A Robinson

Martavis Bryant

Moncrief

Nicks

Jarvis Landry

Gordon? (if byes/injuries forced an owner's hand)

Tyms (nothing last game but nice debut and preseason)

QB

Tannehill

RGIII

TE

Escobar

Ertz (I'll add if released due to bye and so-so production until game before bye aside from Game 1 (44% owned in ESPN)

D/ST

Dolphins (@ JAX)

I wouldn't get too excited on Taylor. He should be owned already by the Ellington owner. I wish I had scooped up Baldwin as soon as the Harvin trade was announced. Had him last year and he was a solid flex option.
Baldwin was already owned in all my leagues (all 12 teams) before the Harvin trade

What about Jonas Gray? With the whole Brown/Dixon saga, what's the thought on Gray? Worth trying to get him over Brown or Robinson? Already have Mason and wouldn't mind adding another wildcard.
I didn't realize that Bolden played on one snap. If we are talking fliers, there's at least an outside chance that Gray becomes the Stevan Ridley role for 2nd half of season. Rather own him than Bolden or James White as of this moment.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4770536/mcdaniels-says-gray-will-get-more-chances

I didn't realize that Bolden played on one snap. If we are talking fliers, there's at least an outside chance that Gray becomes the Stevan Ridley role for 2nd half of season. Rather own him than Bolden or James White as of this moment.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4770536/mcdaniels-says-gray-will-get-more-chances
Gray is definitely intriguing. Seems like Bolden has had his chance in the past and wasn't very effective, and the fact that White was still inactive after Ridley's injury may show that he is not in favor and/or not ready.

Problem is, it's Belichick and outside of Vereen, it's going to be hard to rely on any of the complementary guys week-to-week.

Ryan Swope said:
Can't give anyone a rational load? What do you consider 18 carries? Also, as for arbitrary, Stacy has clearly been trending down since the beginning of the season and Mason has been trending up the past two weeks. It's pretty easy to see there is some clear trajectory for each player, and that's why many on the board are high on Mason.

Also, Bryce Brown has control over the backfield? It's interesting you're willing to jump to that conclusion when the guy hasn't had a single touch this year, but the guy who went 18-85-1 on SEA is in too murky of a situation.

zamboni said:
matuski said:
Ryan Swope said:
Brown doesn't play special teams, unlike Dixon, so Brown really had no shot at being active until Spiller or Fred went down as they did.Just because Dixon got the bulk of the workload on Sunday doesn't dictate that will continue. We don't know yet how it will play out.
In addition to this, the Bills staff were high enough on the kid to trade for him. If they felt Dixon was the answer, Brown wouldn't be on the roster IMO. Even assuming he enters as a Spiller type back for the first couple games, splitting with Dixon, I think the upside and chance to take it all vaults him far above Dixon until we see otherwise.

In leagues with short benches, it's time to pick up Josh Gordon if he's still out there.

In deep ppr leagues, have a look at Chris Hogan as a 1 week filler. 6 catches in each of the last two weeks. Plays against an atrocious Jets secondary this week.

In leagues with short benches, it's time to pick up Josh Gordon if he's still out there.

In deep ppr leagues, have a look at Chris Hogan as a 1 week filler. 6 catches in each of the last two weeks. Plays against an atrocious Jets secondary this week.
I suspect he's long gone even in short bench leagues.

I'm in a 10 team league with 6 bench spots and I picked him up as soon as it looked like he was going to play this year.

He's riding the pine just waiting to feast on ATL week 12. I also have Calvin sitting beside him. When both are in there for my stretch run and playoffs, I will be a happy camper. :yes:

I can see the Bills giving Brown a shot, but a very short leash. No doubt Brown has the talent, but no way to know if he has gotten over his propensity to bounce things to the outside instead of taking what is there. If I were an armchair coach, lol, I would jump at the chance to use the injuries as an excuse to try Brown.

zamboni said:
matuski said:
Ryan Swope said:
In addition to this, the Bills staff were high enough on the kid to trade for him. If they felt Dixon was the answer, Brown wouldn't be on the roster IMO. Even assuming he enters as a Spiller type back for the first couple games, splitting with Dixon, I think the upside and chance to take it all vaults him far above Dixon until we see otherwise.
you could also argue that the Rams spent a 3rd rounder on Mason when they already had Stacy and Cunningham on the roster.

Been looking at wr pretty hard

Baldwin and robinson really stand out. Robinson has been producing for weeks.

I just noticed in one league that somebody dropped mike evans. Would you put him over the guys above? Obviously, he should be rostered
I think it's close. Baldwin is a legitimate WR2 (and, at worst, a WR3) in most formats, in my opinion. I don't think he'll match last week's performance (100+ yards and a score) every week, but he'll be the Seahawks #1 target. And, given the way they're playing (particularly on defense), there's a good chance they'll be throwing more than last year. I think I would prefer Baldwin, but it's close enough that Evans will most likely be the better start some weeks.

Robinson is averaging 5/60 (and 8+ targets) since Week 1. He's the #1 option on a Jags team that will be trailing more often than not. But, again, I think it's very close (between him and Evans). If anything, I'd give Evans the slight nod because he's scored two games in a row, and he's done with his bye.

In a redraft, I think I'd go Baldwin/Evans/Robinson, if for no other reason than that's how I would rank their QB's. In other words, I'd rather rely on the guy with the better QB throwing to him (Baldwin), than a rookie throwing to a rookie. But, like I said, I think all three are close, and you could make an argument for (or against) any of them.

need2know said:
zamboni said:
matuski said:
Ryan Swope said:
Sounds like cj anderson
The main difference is that Buffalo lost its top 2 RB's where Denver lost just 1.

An inactive jumping the RB2 is a stretch, but a inactive jumping a RB3 does make sense due to special teams. Not saying Brown will be the guy, but I think Buf/Den are different situations.

need2know said:
zamboni said:
matuski said:
Ryan Swope said:
Sounds like cj anderson
Or Tre Mason...

Leeroy Jenkins said:

I'm having similar issues/questions.

For me, it's Mason and Robinson with Brown a "high upside" 3rd choice. I don't think he's been inactive all year because the Bills are "saving" him. Also, looking into the playoffs, Mason and/or Robinson could still have good value as starters where Jackson should be back for the fantasy playoffs according to the limited information we have.

So Mason vs. Robinson is a hard call for me.

Many think that Mason is the easy call but I'm not so sure. He plays on a better offense with a better defense so the RB has the potential to stay relevant longer, but being a rookie, and being Tre Mason, he's very poor in pass pro and runs very out of control. Robinson, being a second year player, I assume (and I could be wrong here) is better at pass protection and is better acquainted with the NFL game. I get that thought that a Jaguars starting RB may not have a ton of value, but I can see him having more sustained value than Mason with Cunningham taking a decent share and perhaps Stacey rotating in.

It seems Mason is the obvious call for some but it's a tough call for me vs. Robinson.

So RW actually ranks Bryce Brown as the No. 1 RB WW add this week:

[SIZE=small]1. Bryce Brown, Bills – Owned in 6 percent of Yahoo leagues[/SIZE]
Let’s start with talent. Brown has plenty of it, as he was the No. 1 overall high school running back in the country (ahead of Trent Richardson). He flashed that juice late in the 2012 season as an Eagle, taking the league by storm with a 43-347-4 line in his first two NFL starts. There are certainly warts, most notably a tendency to bump runs to the sideline and ball security issues. But this is a 6’0/222 back with 4.48 speed that is excellent in the pass game. OK, now let’s move to opportunity. The only reason Anthony Dixon was “ahead” of Brown was because Dixon is a stud on special teams. The Bills, who traded a fourth-round pick (high compensation by NFL standards) for Brown, couldn’t afford to dress him when they were already dressing Fred Jackson, C.J. Spiller and Dixon. I’d expect Brown to start in an even timeshare at worst with Dixon and move ahead of him from there. Once Jackson returns from his groin injury (anywhere from 2-4 weeks), Brown will likely stick in the complementary, outside back, Spiller role. Note that the Bills have plus run matchups against the Packers and Raiders in Weeks 15 and 16, fantasy’s playoffs. I like Brown as a strong add, but he’s not going to be Branden Oliver or Ronnie Hillman. The offensive line issues (PFF’s No. 29 run-blocking unit) and short-term schedule (NYJ, Bye, KC, MIA, NYJ) are serious obstacles.
Mason is 2, Robinson is 3, Dixon is 4.

Re: Mason, in part:

... So why isn’t he above Bryce Brown on this list? Game flow. Mason is a total zero in the pass game (especially in pass protection), leaving him as a strict two-down back. These kinds of runners need their team to have leads and get in the red zone so that they can gain volume and score touchdowns. When it doesn’t happen, we have massive holes in our fantasy box scores – Andre Williams, Alfred Morris and even Marshawn Lynch owners can attest to this. So will the Rams be getting leads in any of their next five games? You tell me: at KC, at SF, at ARZ, vs. DEN, at SD. I’ll certainly be trying to add Mason as starting running backs don’t grow on trees, but I’m not going beserk.
- By Adam Levitan

So RW actually ranks Bryce Brown as the No. 1 RB WW add this week:

[SIZE=small]1. Bryce Brown, Bills – Owned in 6 percent of Yahoo leagues[/SIZE]

Let’s start with talent. Brown has plenty of it, as he was the No. 1 overall high school running back in the country (ahead of Trent Richardson). He flashed that juice late in the 2012 season as an Eagle, taking the league by storm with a 43-347-4 line in his first two NFL starts. There are certainly warts, most notably a tendency to bump runs to the sideline and ball security issues. But this is a 6’0/222 back with 4.48 speed that is excellent in the pass game. OK, now let’s move to opportunity. The only reason Anthony Dixon was “ahead” of Brown was because Dixon is a stud on special teams. The Bills, who traded a fourth-round pick (high compensation by NFL standards) for Brown, couldn’t afford to dress him when they were already dressing Fred Jackson, C.J. Spiller and Dixon. I’d expect Brown to start in an even timeshare at worst with Dixon and move ahead of him from there. Once Jackson returns from his groin injury (anywhere from 2-4 weeks), Brown will likely stick in the complementary, outside back, Spiller role. Note that the Bills have plus run matchups against the Packers and Raiders in Weeks 15 and 16, fantasy’s playoffs. I like Brown as a strong add, but he’s not going to be Branden Oliver or Ronnie Hillman. The offensive line issues (PFF’s No. 29 run-blocking unit) and short-term schedule (NYJ, Bye, KC, MIA, NYJ) are serious obstacles.
Mason is 2, Robinson is 3, Dixon is 4.

Re: Mason, in part:

... So why isn’t he above Bryce Brown on this list? Game flow. Mason is a total zero in the pass game (especially in pass protection), leaving him as a strict two-down back. These kinds of runners need their team to have leads and get in the red zone so that they can gain volume and score touchdowns. When it doesn’t happen, we have massive holes in our fantasy box scores – Andre Williams, Alfred Morris and even Marshawn Lynch owners can attest to this. So will the Rams be getting leads in any of their next five games? You tell me: at KC, at SF, at ARZ, vs. DEN, at SD. I’ll certainly be trying to add Mason as starting running backs don’t grow on trees, but I’m not going beserk.
- By Adam Levitan
Odd that Adam seemingly discounts his "warts" as fumbling (the easiest way for a RB to get benched) "tendency to bump runs outside" (the main reason why Spiller became a non-factor in the Bills offense).

Users who are viewing this thread