What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 8 Waiver Wire (1 Viewer)

Just placed waiver claims for my 16-team, standard-scoring league. I went like this (FYI, Shoelace is already owned):

Mason

Brown

Taylor (I own Ellington, but until this week had assumed his handcuff wouldn't have much value)

Gray

Dixon

My rationale: Mason passes the eye test, and he's looked good against two (on paper) tough match-ups. Rode the Brown roller coaster a few years ago, and what I remember is he looked great right up until the point where he had to face competent rushing Ds. Gray is a total lottery ticket, but a) I don't think Thursday's game was necessarily typical of Pats' game flow going forward, and b) dude was signed off the practice squad THAT DAY, so the fact that he was barely used doesn't really tell us a whole lot. As for Dixon, I don't expect him to get the job, but who the hell knows?

Just placed waiver claims for my 16-team, standard-scoring league. I went like this (FYI, Shoelace is already owned):

Mason

Brown

Taylor (I own Ellington, but until this week had assumed his handcuff wouldn't have much value)

Gray

Dixon

My rationale: Mason passes the eye test, and he's looked good against two (on paper) tough match-ups. Rode the Brown roller coaster a few years ago, and what I remember is he looked great right up until the point where he had to face competent rushing Ds. Gray is a total lottery ticket, but a) I don't think Thursday's game was necessarily typical of Pats' game flow going forward, and b) dude was signed off the practice squad THAT DAY, so the fact that he was barely used doesn't really tell us a whole lot. As for Dixon, I don't expect him to get the job, but who the hell knows?
Out of curiosity, where would you have put Shoelace on the list if he was available?

Mason

Brown

Gray

Dixon

Out of curiosity, where would you have put Shoelace on the list if he was available?
Here's how Rotoworld ranks Shoelace and why:

[SIZE=small]3. Denard Robinson, Jaguars – Owned in 9 percent of Yahoo leagues[/SIZE]

Toby Gerhart failed and Storm Johnson failed, leaving “offensive weapon” Denard Robinson to start Sunday’s game against a Browns defense that was without two defensive line starters in Phil Taylor and Ahtyba Rubin. Note that this was already among the weakest run units in the league, getting hit for 5.07 YPC by Le’Veon Bell, Mark Ingram, Lorenzo Taliaferro, Shonn Greene and Bell again in their first five games. So I’ll be taking Robinson’s 22-127-1 with a grain of salt, especially considering this Jags offensive line is even worse than the Bills. That said, Robinson possesses some unique running skills with a similar frame to Chris Johnson, has wide receiver eligibility in Yahoo and has essentially been named the Jags’ starter by coach Gus Bradley. How many touches does that mean? Well, the Jags are averaging 18.0 RB carries per game so far and Robinson is a fair bet for 70 percent of them going forward. So 12.6 carries and 1-3 catches per game.

Recommendation: Should be owned in deeper 10-team leagues

Mason

Brown

Gray

Dixon

Here's how Rotoworld ranks Shoelace and why:

[SIZE=small]3. Denard Robinson, Jaguars – Owned in 9 percent of Yahoo leagues[/SIZE]

Toby Gerhart failed and Storm Johnson failed, leaving “offensive weapon” Denard Robinson to start Sunday’s game against a Browns defense that was without two defensive line starters in Phil Taylor and Ahtyba Rubin. Note that this was already among the weakest run units in the league, getting hit for 5.07 YPC by Le’Veon Bell, Mark Ingram, Lorenzo Taliaferro, Shonn Greene and Bell again in their first five games. So I’ll be taking Robinson’s 22-127-1 with a grain of salt, especially considering this Jags offensive line is even worse than the Bills. That said, Robinson possesses some unique running skills with a similar frame to Chris Johnson, has wide receiver eligibility in Yahoo and has essentially been named the Jags’ starter by coach Gus Bradley. How many touches does that mean? Well, the Jags are averaging 18.0 RB carries per game so far and Robinson is a fair bet for 70 percent of them going forward. So 12.6 carries and 1-3 catches per game.

Recommendation: Should be owned in deeper 10-team leagues
To play devil's advocate here, he seems to discount Robinson's performance since the Brown's running defense is so poor, but in the same game, with the same offensive and defensive lines, Storm Johnson carried 6 times for 16 yards (2.66 ypc) vs. Denard Robinson's 22 carries for 127 yards (5.77 ypc). I know a small sample size, but that is a big difference.

I really think that Gray will be more valuable than Brown and Denard in the long run. Call me crazy, but he's on a better offense and could potentially put up some really good numbers in the Ridley role. I know I know, a Bellichick RB, but Bolden is pretty much relegated to special teams, and White hasn't done anything all season or preseason for that matter. Plus they activated him off the practice squad on a short week, when they easily could've gone with White and Bolden. Just some food for thought.

So RW actually ranks Bryce Brown as the No. 1 RB WW add this week:

1. Bryce Brown, Bills Owned in 6 percent of Yahoo leagues

Lets start with talent. Brown has plenty of it, as he was the No. 1 overall high school running back in the country (ahead of Trent Richardson). He flashed that juice late in the 2012 season as an Eagle, taking the league by storm with a 43-347-4 line in his first two NFL starts. There are certainly warts, most notably a tendency to bump runs to the sideline and ball security issues. But this is a 60/222 back with 4.48 speed that is excellent in the pass game. OK, now lets move to opportunity. The only reason Anthony Dixon was ahead of Brown was because Dixon is a stud on special teams. The Bills, who traded a fourth-round pick (high compensation by NFL standards) for Brown, couldnt afford to dress him when they were already dressing Fred Jackson, C.J. Spiller and Dixon. Id expect Brown to start in an even timeshare at worst with Dixon and move ahead of him from there. Once Jackson returns from his groin injury (anywhere from 2-4 weeks), Brown will likely stick in the complementary, outside back, Spiller role. Note that the Bills have plus run matchups against the Packers and Raiders in Weeks 15 and 16, fantasys playoffs. I like Brown as a strong add, but hes not going to be Branden Oliver or Ronnie Hillman. The offensive line issues (PFFs No. 29 run-blocking unit) and short-term schedule (NYJ, Bye, KC, MIA, NYJ) are serious obstacles.
Mason is 2, Robinson is 3, Dixon is 4.

Re: Mason, in part:

... So why isnt he above Bryce Brown on this list? Game flow. Mason is a total zero in the pass game (especially in pass protection), leaving him as a strict two-down back. These kinds of runners need their team to have leads and get in the red zone so that they can gain volume and score touchdowns. When it doesnt happen, we have massive holes in our fantasy box scores Andre Williams, Alfred Morris and even Marshawn Lynch owners can attest to this. So will the Rams be getting leads in any of their next five games? You tell me: at KC, at SF, at ARZ, vs. DEN, at SD. Ill certainly be trying to add Mason as starting running backs dont grow on trees, but Im not going beserk.
- By Adam Levitan
Odd that Adam seemingly discounts his "warts" as fumbling (the easiest way for a RB to get benched) "tendency to bump runs outside" (the main reason why Spiller became a non-factor in the Bills offense).
:goodposting:

I am also skeptical of anyone wanting to denigrate mason for his lack of pass protection and game flow while not mentioning anything about brown's lack of football iq.

I'm bypassing Mason, Shoelace and the BUF guys and going for Cadet in PPR.

I've owned both Gerhart and Storm and while I realize Shoelace is not those guys, I just am tired of JAX RBs. I was impressed with Mason but honestly I can see this becoming a RBBC. I have to figure they still use Stacy somehow. The Buffalo backfield also has some confusion but my main issue with them is their bye is week 9 and I already have 5 players on bye that week - including 3 I usually start. So doesn't make much sense for me to add a RB with a bye that same week. I understand why others want these guys but I have my reasons for not pursuing them.

I probably won't use Cadet this week but he has a nice matchup in Week 9 when he might potentially be my only option at flex if Jennings isn't active.

I think Denard R runs a little soft for a high-usage back. I don't see that as a long-term fit. Obviously the team is pretty bad too.

Buffalo's backfield is officially a quagmire. I couldn't get either Brown or Dixon but both are worth a hold in redraft until things crystallize.

Tre is the guy to jump on for RBs. Cadet is a nice priority for PPRs with Pierre T down.

If I could get Beckham, I would. Solid gold.

Luckily I got Mason last week.

As an Ellington owner I had to pounce on Stepfan Taylor.

Also picked up Charles Sims (TB RB) and put him in the IR slot. The other 2 TB running backs look mediocre and they loved this guy before he got hurt. He could be a good long term play and might be ready in a couple weeks. Worth a stash if you can have him in the IR slot for a few weeks.

Also picked up Ryan Tannehill to start this week against the Jags. He's quietly had 3 good games in a row. And picked up Martavis Bryant as a Steelers fan. He got a handful of redzone looks in his very first game as well as some deep bombs. If he turns out to be the #2 behind Brown he could have value, especially with his height in the redzone. A lot of people don't expect much from that offense, but if you look at their high frequency of FGs in the redzone and some of those start turning into Martavis TDs, he could be a surprise play especially in deeper leagues or dynasty.

Darryl Talley said:
Darn. I wasn't able to land any of the RBs this week.

Does Sims have more potential than this week's RB hypes?
He's a must add in my opinion. Everything Ive read leads me to believe he'll get a crack at taking that starting job when he returns.

Darryl Talley said:
Darn. I wasn't able to land any of the RBs this week.

Does Sims have more potential than this week's RB hypes?
He's a must add in my opinion. Everything Ive read leads me to believe he'll get a crack at taking that starting job when he returns.
trying to add him tonight in the last league he's available. Martin is running BELOW 3 ypc...for all the crap that Richardson got last year, Martin's been worse. That spot is prime for the taking.

Also picked up Charles Sims (TB RB) and put him in the IR slot.
Hopefully not an A/C question. In an ESPN league, can a ww pickup bypass your bench and go immediately to IR? I ask because the comp is requiring me to drop a player, which I know I wouldn't get back, to pick up Sims.

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think that Gray will be more valuable than Brown and Denard in the long run. Call me crazy, but he's on a better offense and could potentially put up some really good numbers in the Ridley role. I know I know, a Bellichick RB, but Bolden is pretty much relegated to special teams, and White hasn't done anything all season or preseason for that matter. Plus they activated him off the practice squad on a short week, when they easily could've gone with White and Bolden. Just some food for thought.
im getting there. wish i had i pushed him a little more in this week's WW report in hindsight

Also picked up Charles Sims (TB RB) and put him in the IR slot. The other 2 TB running backs look mediocre and they loved this guy before he got hurt. He could be a good long term play and might be ready in a couple weeks. Worth a stash if you can have him in the IR slot for a few weeks.

Also picked up Ryan Tannehill to start this week against the Jags. He's quietly had 3 good games in a row. And picked up Martavis Bryant as a Steelers fan. He got a handful of redzone looks in his very first game as well as some deep bombs. If he turns out to be the #2 behind Brown he could have value, especially with his height in the redzone. A lot of people don't expect much from that offense, but if you look at their high frequency of FGs in the redzone and some of those start turning into Martavis TDs, he could be a surprise play especially in deeper leagues or dynasty.
How many redzone looks did Bryant get?

I was debating between Bryant and Jonas Gray. Went with Gray, but Bryant is still out there.

How many redzone looks did Bryant get?

I was debating between Bryant and Jonas Gray. Went with Gray, but Bryant is still out there.
They threw to Bryant twice in the endzone (officially outside the redzone). I picked him up for the upside, I saw flashes of Plaxico and dare I say Moss???? He is alot bigger/stronger looking than I thought. Excited to see how it pans out...

Thank you guys for the links. The funny part is that watching them has contributed to my confusion. One of my fantasy teams has been decimated at the running back position this season--and I'm at a point this week where literally I'm forced to start 2 rb's from my rb pool of low end rb2's and 3's. Two of the guys I own are bryce adn dixon--I'm wondering if starting both of them this week could be a feasible option.

Gotta figure out whether Brown will leapfrog Dixon for Buffalo. Are we automatically assuming the talented Brown comes in and takes over? The assumption has been Dixon is active over him for his ST value but is that all that's to it? Dixon is a good goalline runner as well...any chance he's the guy you really want in that backfield?
this is a key question.

Gotta figure out whether Brown will leapfrog Dixon for Buffalo. Are we automatically assuming the talented Brown comes in and takes over? The assumption has been Dixon is active over him for his ST value but is that all that's to it? Dixon is a good goalline runner as well...any chance he's the guy you really want in that backfield?
this is a key question.
That is the key - but Dixon's upside is much more limited. If I needed somebody short term, I might take Dixon. If I was set at RB and could wait a little, I would take Brown. Plus in PPR I would go Brown either way.

this is a key question.
That is the key - but Dixon's upside is much more limited. If I needed somebody short term, I might take Dixon. If I was set at RB and could wait a little, I would take Brown. Plus in PPR I would go Brown either way.
But people have been saying the same thing about spiller and Jackson for years.

this is a key question.
True - but that doesn't mean that when you swap both guys out for 2 new guys that the likely scenario is less likely because of the first 2 guys

this is a key question.
True - but that doesn't mean that when you swap both guys out for 2 new guys that the likely scenario is less likely because of the first 2 guys
I'm just talking about the staff and what they value. Some of the issues that were ports with the spiller seem to be issues with brown. Will be interesting. Gonna be at the bill jet game this weekend and looking forward to seeing them play.

Hopefully not an A/C question. In an ESPN league, can a ww pickup bypass your bench and go immediately to IR? I ask because the comp is requiring me to drop a player, which I know I wouldn't get back, to pick up Sims.TIA
Why not just drop your kicker in order to facilitate the move? Probably can get a nearly-equivalent replacement, assuming your leaguemates aren't hoarding kickers. May be able to re-acquire your original player once waivers run, because who's going to waste waiver position on a kicker anyway?

The problem is that unless you are Totally decimated you will have to either guess which weeks to play him (GL outguessing Belichick) or just ride him and take some zeroes along with some medium, occasionally good scores. Even in deep leagues I think most teams have better options or matchup plays

The problem is that unless you are Totally decimated you will have to either guess which weeks to play him (GL outguessing Belichick) or just ride him and take some zeroes along with some medium, occasionally good scores. Even in deep leagues I think most teams have better options or matchup plays
To be fair, once Belichick settled on Ridley as the pounder, he mainly stuck with him unless he fumbled or got hurt. Granted, Gray has a long way to get to that point, but it's not always a guessing game once a guy makes his mark with Belichick.

Charles Sims getting pumped by Rotoworld:

ESPN's Dan Graziano suggested on NFL Insiders Friday that rookie Charles Sims could play a big role down the stretch.

Eligible to return from I.R./recall in Week 9, Sims has resumed practicing after fracturing his ankle in August. "He may get a shot to get some serious carries in the second half (of the season)," were Graziano's words. Sims is worth stashing in 12- and 14-team leagues. Doug Martin has been ineffective for a sustained stretch, while Bobby Rainey has been prone to fumbles.

Hopefully not an A/C question. In an ESPN league, can a ww pickup bypass your bench and go immediately to IR? I ask because the comp is requiring me to drop a player, which I know I wouldn't get back, to pick up Sims.TIA
Why not just drop your kicker in order to facilitate the move? Probably can get a nearly-equivalent replacement, assuming your leaguemates aren't hoarding kickers. May be able to re-acquire your original player once waivers run, because who's going to waste waiver position on a kicker anyway?
Solved the space dilemma with a 2 for 1 trade, but thanks for the suggestion and your reply.

As a Hail Mary (my opponent this week started Peyton) should I pick up Mike Glennon and start him over Flacco or Ryan? No one in the assistant coach forum wants to touch this question--and can't say I blame them!

As a Hail Mary (my opponent this week started Peyton) should I pick up Mike Glennon and start him over Flacco or Ryan? No one in the assistant coach forum wants to touch this question--and can't say I blame them!
Kyle Orton...You'll thank me later...

Users who are viewing this thread