What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What’s worse….a soccer match ending 0-0 or a twelve round boxing match going to decision? (1 Viewer)

More people in America just watched a relatively meaningless group stage soccer game than any World Series game this year (or last year, or the year before, or the year before that...)
If the World Series happened every 4 years then this statement wouldn't be true. You are comparing apples to oranges.

More people in America just watched a relatively meaningless group stage soccer game than any World Series game this year (or last year, or the year before, or the year before that...)
If the World Series happened every 4 years then this statement wouldn't be true. You are comparing apples to oranges.

I was not making a comparison. I was stating a cold hard fact to counter the "no one in America ever watches soccer" theory that was posted in this thread and subsequently deleted once the poster realized how silly the comment was.

That being said, I am not convinced you would see baseballs popularity go up if the World Series was held every 4 years. In fact my guess is that the opposite would happen as that would do nothing to fix their age demographic problem and would like exasperate it even more.

Last edited:
Watching guys fake injuries is worse to a lot of people than commercials because at least a commercial is intended to entertain while some Brazilian d-bag is simply trying to fool the refs by acting like a baby.

god bless DVR;s, because watching either sport delayed can allow fans to skip past both commercials and floppers.

Watching a full NFL game using a 30 second skip can be finished in very very little time. I use it for games I don't have the time or interest to sit for 3+ hours for.

I now watch a lot of games with the recap. They’re like 15 minutes long and they show every play.
“Aaron Rodgers lines up under center as the entire play clock winds down. He surveys the defense and doesn’t like what he sees and calls timeout. We’ll be back after these commercials.”

ED pill commercial
Car commercial
Taco Bell commercial
Papa Johns commercial

“And we’re back. Rodgers uses the entire play clock and we have some movement on the offensive line as flags fly. That will be a false start. We’ll use this pause in the action to remind you that tonight on CBS is the premier of NCIS:Boise starring that guy from Melrose Place, maybe? I dunno. Anyway. Rodgers back under center, play clock at 1 and the ball is snapped. Rodgers throws to Lazard and it’s incomplete. Lazard is pleading for an interference call even though nobody touched him to no avail. That was a scintillating 8 seconds of action! And that will bring us to the two minute warning. We’ll be back after this.”

ED pill commercial
Under Armour commercial
Nike commercial
Ford truck commercial

“We’re back. Play clock down to 1 and the defense calls timeout as they inexplicably have 12 men on the field. We’ll be back after this…”
I'm a fan of both sports, but this can easily go both ways.

Euro team has possession in their half.

Pass back, pass back, pass back to goalie. Pass forward, pass forward, pass back, pass back, pass back to goalie (do this 2-3x's) for roughly 3 minutes of game time.

Finally they press forward with a run down the sideline. Ball is misplayed out of bounds on sideline. 2 more minutes.

South American team passes it in from sideline after the thrower wanders forward about 10 yards. Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, turns it over in the midfield.

Euro team presses forward and has a nice look, but.....OHHHH he was offiside because his left pinky was beyond the hip of the last defender prior to the pass.

Goalie boots it to midfield where a series of headers are exchanged back and forth. Then a Euro player goes down like he was shot by a sniper on a minor foul and lays on the ground for 2 minutes with his hands covering his face even though the contact was to the lower back. Finally gets up while the SA team argues with the ref in 3 different languages with lots of gesturing and nothing comes of it other than a play on at midfield for the Euro team.

And we've played 20 minutes without a single attempt on goal and there is some unknown amount of time left in the half.

I'd rather watch any of this than seemingly endless commercials. The thing with soccer is that an opportunity can unfold at any time.

Of course there are going to be scoreless, boring clunkers. Every sport has their equivalent of Jets vs. Browns on a Thursday night. I have not seen a game come close to this in the World Cup so far though. The 1-1 tie between Spain/Germany yesterday was probably the most tense match so far. Such a great game with tons of great plays, and it was a tie!
Right, but the idea that the worst stretch of a viewing experience is somehow the crux of the entire experience is disingenuous. Futbol and American Football can both be very boring or very exciting depending on where you are in the game. Watching guys fake injuries is worse to a lot of people than commercials because at least a commercial is intended to entertain while some Brazilian d-bag is simply trying to fool everyone by acting like a baby.

Agreed, but the worst stretch in American sports regarding the almost endless commercial timeouts turns me off from watching completely. I understand that something like flopping may do the same for the non-soccer folks, but its not comparable. Commercials are guaranteed. Excessive flopping isn't and when it happens, it tends to not delay the game that long.

Flopping is an assault on the actual game. Commercials are awful but they don’t actuall effect the game. Pretending to be hurt is a bannable offense.

Anybody, including anybody reading this who has ever pretended to be hurt is a worthless human and should be publicity stoned to death.

That being said, I am not convinced you would see baseballs popularity go up if the World Series was held every 4 years. In fact my guess is that the opposite would happen as that would do nothing to fix their age demographic problem and would like exasperate it even more.
Overall popularity and viewership for a once every four year event is not necessarily the same thing. People will casually watch an event that is the pinnacle of a sport that happens infrequently.

For example, I enjoy watching soccer but it is hard for me to get into games in general. However, I watch a lot of the WC because you can feel the intensity of the games just by watching them. The overall importance and feel is palpable and really enjoyable to see (yes even 0-0 games). Other than WC I probably watch less than 1 game a year.

For the main topic of this thread the point many of the complainers have not grasped is that all 0-0 games are not created equal. Just like in any sport you can have a great 0-0 game and a garbage 0-0 game. The game play matters. Scoring does not equate to good game play or excitement. In fact too much scoring can sometimes diminish the importance of scoring which lessens the excitement of the game.

Flopping is an assault on the actual game. Commercials are awful but they don’t actuall effect the game. Pretending to be hurt is a bannable offense.

Anybody, including anybody reading this who has ever pretended to be hurt is a worthless human and should be publicity stoned to death.
The best way to eliminate flopping is to fine/suspend players heavily after the fact. You can see a flop on replay very easily. If that subjects the offender to a heavy fine and suspension it will stop it from happening.

The flopping happens because they are trying to draw a foul. It keeps happening because it works much of the time. You can't really stop that in real time but if that player gets suspended after the game for multiple games (and gets worse the more times you get caught) it will eventually stop it from happening in real time. The penalty for flopping has to hurt or it won't stop (especially if it keeps drawing fouls in game). So make the penalty strong for doing it.

If the world series happened only every four years even fewer people would care/watch. Could you imagine 648 regular season games determining who makes the playoffs? Or alternatively, baseball onyl being played one summer every four years?

Should be said here we aren't talking about a lot of people who think soccer sucks because of ties. Only one or two souls doing the heavy lifting.

Here's an unpopular opinion regarding the diving:
While I would love to never see another dive, the less popular antics, like diving and rough play, creates villains, and every sport is better with villains.

You don’t even need to suspend. If you are hurt enough to need the stretcher, you get to ride it over to the side lines. Then, since you looked like you were in a lot of pain, the ref can give the doctors lots and lots of time to make sure you are ok. A 10-20 minute stay on the sideline should do it. Meanwhile, your team plays a man down as the doc checks for injury. The refs wave these guys back on the field much too quickly. Cynical play should be met with cynical refs.

Another reason why that's a bad example is because in the World Series, you have teams from two US cities. If it's not a major city like New York or LA, a lot of fans don't bother watching. This obviously isn't the case when you are talking about soccer and TEAM USA.

Another reason why that's a bad example is because in the World Series, you have teams from two US cities. If it's not a major city like New York or LA, a lot of fans don't bother watching. This obviously isn't the case when you are talking about soccer and TEAM USA.

the most watched games of the 2022 WC, when it is all said and done, won't likely include the US.

Also LA was in the world series in 2020 and 2018 and none of those games outdrew the group stage soccer game.

Last edited:

The best way to eliminate flopping is to fine/suspend players heavily after the fact. You can see a flop on replay very easily. If that subjects the offender to a heavy fine and suspension it will stop it from happening.

The flopping happens because they are trying to draw a foul. It keeps happening because it works much of the time. You can't really stop that in real time but if that player gets suspended after the game for multiple games (and gets worse the more times you get caught) it will eventually stop it from happening in real time. The penalty for flopping has to hurt or it won't stop (especially if it keeps drawing fouls in game). So make the penalty strong for doing it.

Agree that flopping is super annoying. Another factor is that refs a lot of times don’t call legit fouls when they happen and the player DOESN’T go down. So it’s almost ingrained to go to ground at the slightest bit of contact. The gamesmanship of yellow/red cards play a big role as well.

That’s one of the great things about Messi btw. I won’t say he has never flopped in his career, but in general he has played through a ton of contact and as a result he has probably left a lot of free kicks on the table.

Also LA was in the world series in 2020 and 2018 and none of those games outdrew the group stage soccer game.
Again, this is an apples to oranges comparison. WC will dominate in viewership because of the nature of the tournament. A once every four year event will drive viewership especially of people that don't typically watch the sport. Throw in that it is also country based as opposed to a regional city based and it shouldn't be close.

Penalty shootouts serve the exact same purpose - to break a tie. In tournaments prior to 1970 or so, when a knockout game ended in a draw they would replay the entire game or decide the winner by “drawing lots.” 100% guaranteed there will be whining about this in the coming weeks, although it will likely be casuals and seasoned fans alike if history is a guide.

Thanks. For the seasoned fans, what is their complaint with this way to break the tie?
Imagine how football fans would feel if tie games were decided with an extra point kicking contest. And like 25% of games ended in a tie and were decided that way.

Good to see less talking past each other and hot takes in the recent back and forth. While I now probably watch more soccer than any other sport, I do think the 0-0 comments, while trite, touch on a valid drawback of soccer currently. If a sport has too little or too much scoring, it can have the effect of decoupling the skill from the result as random lucky or unlucky moments can have an undue influence. To take a dumb example, if you played a golf tournament where you played 72 holes but the only way to score was a hole in one, it would be a pretty dumb setup. The best golfers would be slightly more likely to win, but result to result would be pretty random and luck based. I actually think American football is rapidly careening towards too much scoring – games like the KC-Buffalo playoff game where it becomes last team with the ball/whoever wins the coin toss suffer from the same problem from the other direction.

If one could somehow magically increase xG in soccer games by like 25-50%, that would probably be the sweet spot. The problem is I’m not sure anyone would know how to do so without making the game worse. I know I can’t think of anything that wouldn’t change the game dramatically, and has been repeatedly pointed out, it is insanely popular, so the first rule of a proposed rule change should be “do no harm.” I suspect the answer would actually be in somehow reducing the amount of cynical fouls to break up promising scoring opportunities, but I’m not sure how one would do so. Football ironically has a similar problem with DBs tackling receivers who are about to torch them (or OLs tackling guys about to sack the QB), but it’s a little less consequential because one moment is rarely backbreaking to a team in the way a soccer goal can be.

Again, this is an apples to oranges comparison. WC will dominate in viewership because of the nature of the tournament. A once every four year event will drive viewership especially of people that don't typically watch the sport. Throw in that it is also country based as opposed to a regional city based and it shouldn't be close.

again, I am not comparing. I was countering his point where he inferred that if the baseball game involved LA or NY it would draw more than the soccer game and was countering his point that the game only drew because the US was involved, neither of which is true.

I never would have brought any of this up had some one not said no one watches soccer in America. If that point has been conceded, I won't bother giving any more data or faulty comparisons.

Last edited:
Re: flopping. How about if you go down and stay down for more than 30 seconds you have to go off the field until the official lets you back in?

Re: flopping. How about if you go down and stay down for more than 30 seconds you have to go off the field until the official lets you back in?

I have seen so many solutions to fixing to flopping over the years and nearly every single one of them would help the sport but FIFA simply does not care.

I don't know what else to think. So many fans around the world hate it and yet I don't think I have ever seen FIFA even comment on it, much less put a committee in place to come up with a solution.

At least the NBA seems to care, even if they have yet to really fix it.

Penalty shootouts serve the exact same purpose - to break a tie. In tournaments prior to 1970 or so, when a knockout game ended in a draw they would replay the entire game or decide the winner by “drawing lots.” 100% guaranteed there will be whining about this in the coming weeks, although it will likely be casuals and seasoned fans alike if history is a guide.

Thanks. For the seasoned fans, what is their complaint with this way to break the tie?
Imagine how football fans would feel if tie games were decided with an extra point kicking contest. And like 25% of games ended in a tie and were decided that way.
That’s a bad analogy. The better would be decided by two point conversion attempts. A kicked extra point is barely part of the game while kicking from the penalty area is most certainly a large part of the game.

I don't think this eliminates the flopping. It may eliminate the prolonged writhing in pain but the initial flop to draw the foul will still occur. Suspending/fining players for clear flops after the fact (review on replay after the game) and make them significant penalties should start to deter the flopping to draw a foul.

I don't think the game needs saving, but these would improve it a little bit IMO...
  • Having the ref keep the scoreboard clock to kill timewasting (MLS used to do this, it was great)
  • Post-game action against dives and simulations (clutching face when shoulder was grazed, etc)
  • More yellows for tactically stopping a break (they've already gotten better at this)
  • Make offside feet only
  • Allow a team that's been fouled to restart immediately where they recover the ball, no closer to goal
  • Yellow for any player delaying a restart (kicking ball away after a foul, impeding the restart pass, etc)

Last edited:

That’s a bad analogy. The better would be decided by two point conversion attempts. A kicked extra point is barely part of the game while kicking from the penalty area is most certainly a large part of the game.

while the extra point is not a big part of the game, I think it would be unfair to say kicking is not a big part of the game in terms of scoring.

Unless I am mistaken, aren't many (not all but many) of the top scoring players in the NFL usually kickers due to extra points and field goals?

I don't think this eliminates the flopping. It may eliminate the prolonged writhing in pain but the initial flop to draw the foul will still occur. Suspending/fining players for clear flops after the fact (review on replay after the game) and make them significant penalties should start to deter the flopping to draw a foul.

this is an interesting point.

Do people more hate the initial flopping to draw the fouls, or the prolonged rolling on the ground like they have been shot (more hoping for the card than the actual foul)?

For me it is the second part but maybe for most it is the first?

Do people more hate the initial flopping to draw the fouls, or the prolonged rolling on the ground like they have been shot (more hoping for the card than the actual foul)?

If you get rid of the incentive for the first then the second goes away. For me they are tied to closely to say it's one over the other. I hate a game being turned on a terrible call created because a guy flopped when he was never touched and it just looking like a foul. Cameras will show all the acting taking place and if you punish it hard enough it will start to change because the risk isn't worth the reward.

If you get rid of the incentive for the first then the second goes away. For me they are tied to closely to say it's one over the other. I hate a game being turned on a terrible call created because a guy flopped when he was never touched and it just looking like a foul. Cameras will show all the acting taking place and if you punish it hard enough it will start to change because the risk isn't worth the reward.

from your lips to FIFA's ears.

Sadly, if it doesn't include a suitcase of money, it won't matter to them I fear :(

FTR - I never said nobody watches or it’s not a popular sport. I learned all that years ago.

I’d speculate that the biggest reason for the popularity is even the poorest of the poor can play soccer. Everything else requires either another person, equipment or both.

For me it’s the dishonesty as a whole. Pretending to be hurt tells me you’re a liar and a unscrupulous person. You’re dead to me. Completely worthless waste of flesh.

The other part that got me I trouble when I played in HS- if you elbow me, kick me and scratch me enough times I will eventually punch you in the face.

Now that VAR is implemented for so many things, it's kind of crazy that it's not used for simulation. You wouldn't even necessarily have to stop play - keep the game playing as normal, but view all of the angles after any foul call is made. Retroactively award a yellow card (or even a straight red for a particularly egregious case where there was no contact at all) and the cost benefit analysis changes. As long as you reward the behavior you'll get it. Dest got a yellow in the Wales game seemingly because the guy he fouled let out a blood curdling scream even though there was routine contact, and thus the cycle continues and you get more screaming and writhing.

For me it’s the dishonesty as a whole. Pretending to be hurt tells me you’re a liar and a unscrupulous person. You’re dead to me. Completely worthless waste of flesh.

you know who I fear is going to be next in taking advantage of simulation are NFL quarterbacks. Some are already acting like they have been destroyed when barely hit, all in the hopes of getting the flag thrown with all the new rules protecting the QB.

you know who I fear is going to be next in taking advantage of simulation are NFL quarterbacks. Some are already acting like they have been destroyed when barely hit, all in the hopes of getting the flag thrown with all the new rules protecting the QB.

I’ve seen a lot of flopping this year. Luckily the NFL hasn’t fell for it most of them and the refs sorta just look at them like they’re crazy.

Sadly, if it doesn't include a suitcase of money, it won't matter to them I fear :(
The other factor is that they likely don't want to suspend star players because that is who the fans pay to see. There would be an uproar if the top guys are suspended 3 or 4 games for continuous flopping by fans that won't be able to see them play. It is definitely a delicate balance but the game could be so much better.

The other factor is that they likely don't want to suspend star players because that is who the fans pay to see. There would be an uproar if the top guys are suspended 3 or 4 games for continuous flopping by fans that won't be able to see them play. It is definitely a delicate balance but the game could be so much better.
That’s a extremely short sighted and silly reason. If it stops that’s not an issue.

That’s like not disciplining your kid because it’s just easier to give in.

IMO that stuff fixes itself. Players flop because they can get away with it. Once they start missing game checks and their teammates get pissed at them, they would quickly change their habits.

It might take a few weeks/months to see a massive shift but it would happen eventually IMO.

you know who I fear is going to be next in taking advantage of simulation are NFL quarterbacks.
This is a good insight and spot on. Particularly with the proliferation of running quarterbacks it's going to put the defense in an impossible situation. The future is apparently the Big 12 and 49-42 games.

That’s a extremely short sighted and silly reason. If it stops that’s not an issue.

I totally agree. But as someone else said it's all about the money and since flopping isn't costing them money and sitting stars would likely cost them short term money the powers that be will turn a blind eye.

I totally agree. But as someone else said it's all about the money and since flopping isn't costing them money and sitting stars would likely cost them short term money the powers that be will turn a blind eye.

It would not cost FIFA a dime. They could put in a clear rule about this into the laws of the game and while it might effect the leagues in the short term, FIFA would not lose any money.

If the world series happened only every four years even fewer people would care/watch. Could you imagine 648 regular season games determining who makes the playoffs? Or alternatively, baseball onyl being played one summer every four years?
Obvious bad joke, but could the average MLB fan make it another 4 years?

It would not cost FIFA a dime. They could put in a clear rule about this into the laws of the game and while it might effect the leagues in the short term, FIFA would not lose any money.
Money may have been the wrong term. Negative publicity for stars missing games (although you could argue the positive publicity for less flopping may balance that or be better). At this point it is obvious that FIFA does not have incentive to come down on floppers otherwise they would have already done so.

If one could somehow magically increase xG in soccer games by like 25-50%, that would probably be the sweet spot.
There's a reason scoring is the hardest part if the game...

I think we're in the sweet spot for the most part. Goals are hard enough to come by that it's incredibly exciting when one goes in. If you increase the frequency of scoring by 25-50%, you begin to water down the experience.

Allow a team that's been fouled to restart immediately where they recover the ball, no closer to goal
Can't they do this now? I thought you could always restart further away from the goal than the foul if you wanted

Make offside feet only
Why not make it that it has to be the entire body? If any part is even then it's good to go. That should increase scoring chances

Having the ref keep the scoreboard clock to kill timewasting (MLS used to do this, it was great)
Not really sure what this means? It seems like just having a time keeper that starts and stops the clock when ball goes out of play/stops for injury/foul coordination/etc would solve much of this problem. Unless that is what you mean here.

If one could somehow magically increase xG in soccer games by like 25-50%, that would probably be the sweet spot.
There's a reason scoring is the hardest part if the game...

I think we're in the sweet spot for the most part. Goals are hard enough to come by that it's incredibly exciting when one goes in. If you increase the frequency of scoring by 25-50%, you begin to water down the experience.
Maybe?

I certainly wouldn't argue with the notion that the difficulty of scoring makes each goal special. I do think the 0-0 draws or, even worse, the 1-0 game where one team is clearly better than the other but for whatever reason just can't seem to get that goal feel a bit disappointing as a fan, and I think a slight increase in scoring makes those events statistically less likely. Soccer is not unique in the fluke result aspect (the football game where a team fumbles 5 times but somehow keeps recovering all of them come to mind, or a bunch of near miss INTs that a bad quarterback gets away with some games), but I feel it's a little more prevalent than in most of the other major sports. There's even a whole narrative post game as to whether it was a "fair" result or one team or the other would "feel hard done," which is very foreign to American sports. Of course, maybe Americans are more blindly accepting of results and less apt to focus on how often a team wins a game through a series of unlikely lucky outcomes.

Make offside feet only
Why not make it that it has to be the entire body? If any part is even then it's good to go. That should increase scoring chances

I am a BIG fan of making changes to offside that gives advantage to the offensive player, so I would love your rule change. However, I would bet that many fans would not like this.

It would be a massive advantage to the offensive guy because they will be taught to leave one arm hanging backwards. But IMO the sport favors defense so much, I would not mind a tweak to even things up.

Last edited:
However, I would bet that many fans would not like this.
Why would fans be against it? It's not much different than it is now as far as the application. It's just readjusting the timing for both the offense and defense. It seems like it would be clearer definition and increase scoring chances. Not sure why fans would not like it.

Why would fans be against it? It's not much different than it is now as far as the application. It's just readjusting the timing for both the offense and defense. It seems like it would be clearer definition and increase scoring chances. Not sure why fans would not like it.
Giving the offensive player a full yard head start over what they have now would blow the game up and most fans aren't interested in reinventing the game. Even a one foot head start is is an enormous advantage for an attacker -- so your idea probably just goes too far for most of us.

Last edited:
Ok, I've thought about this some more and...

1) shrink the field
2) limit the # of players to 3 attackers, 2 defenders and a GK
3) get rid of the offside rule once the ball crosses midfield
4) unlimited subs
5) your team plays short a player for two minutes if you get a yellow
6) ice everywhere

(stolen from the Internet)

Ok, I've thought about this some more and...

1) shrink the field
2) limit the # of players to 3 attackers, 2 defenders and a GK
3) get rid of the offside rule once the ball crosses midfield
4) unlimited subs
5) your team plays short a player for two minutes if you get a yellow
6) ice everywhere

(stolen from the Internet)

After 120, roll another ball out onto the field every five minutes so they are playing with multiple balls. One is a red ball that counts double.

Users who are viewing this thread