What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is something about life in 2024 that would completely astonish someone living in 1974? (1 Viewer)

Willie Neslon

Footballguy
Imagine you have the power to travel back in time to April 9th, 1974, and you're having dinner with some people from that era. Besides the time travel, what piece of information about life in 2024 would blow their minds the most? It could be something about a particular person, technology, everyday life, world events, or anything else, including something that ultimately didn’t happen. What would be the most unbelievable thing to them about how the world is 50 years in the future?

I sort of had this happen that I detailed in THIS THREAD about my wife's memory getting wiped out except for some childhood memories (60's ~70's). A couple of things that stand out were the changes to TVs. What was a big a** box are now flat screens hanging all over the place. The other thing is how large and overweight people are now compared to back then.

World events didn't hit her as anything astonishing. She didn't know about the Viet Nam war, nor 9/11.

Some of the world’s largest and most influential companies are Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Meta/Facebook and Alphabet/Google. They didn’t exist in 1974 and mostly do things that almost everyone in 1974 couldn’t conceive of.

That about 100 devices that were separate and distinct things or didn’t exist in 1974 are combined into one device that is called a “phone” but bears little resemblance to the telephones of 1974.

Also, Keith Richards is still alive but Charlie Watts isn’t.
The phone has to be the biggest mind blower. You can call someone from almost anywhere, you can take photos or videos, you can find out information with a computer that fits in your pocket.

Someone like @General Malaise can broadcast himself eating a Big Mac in 2 bites, and people will watch it.
I was watching a video of an Uber Eats bike delivery guy in London. The video had about 350k views which makes him about $500-$600 on Youtube (I think i read it's $1600 for the 1st million views). So we have entered an age where delivery guys can make more money from people watching them delivering food to other people than they can from actually delivering the food.

Nix 2.0, Me Too, and everyone buried in smart phones.
Me too? I get that maybe it went too far, but explaining to people in 1974 that women who are raped have some
sort of power seems like an interesting choice for the most astonishing thing

Interesting as 50 years ago today was Aaron’s 715th HR, and the hate letters he received.

What would shock people today from that time - the advancement of blacks, women, and gays in society.
On that note, a women's basketball game is the most watched non football game outside network tv (what's that) ever.

Nix 2.0, Me Too, and everyone buried in smart phones.
Me too? I get that maybe it went too far, but explaining to people in 1974 that women who are raped have some
sort of power seems like an interesting choice for the most astonishing thing
I more meant that they would have a hard time understanding how society changed so fast from their s.o.p. of that time. I wasn't talking about rape.

Phones. Probably the most ubiquitous and tangible change in our everyday lives. And so radical of a change, too.

Hip-hop’s ubiquity would be like a different world in music or art. The first hip-hop party is credited as deep in the NYC projects in ‘73.

I thought of a bunch of social movements and policy concerns, but almost all of them were in place or had large seeds already planted in ‘74. I don’t think any of them would be a shock to people, really. Nothing new under the sun.

That about 100 devices that were separate and distinct things or didn’t exist in 1974 are combined into one device that is called a “phone” but bears little resemblance to the telephones of 1974.
Jokes aside, this is obviously the correct answer. The whole concept of walking around with a "phone" that combines actual phone calls with social media, music and video streaming, GPS, apps that replace customer service drones, etc. would be hard to believe.

Self-driving cars might come close to the phone if they were all the way there. Since those are still incomplete, it's got to be the phones.

Users who are viewing this thread