What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the best mattress? (1 Viewer)

I got my mattress set up on Friday, and I dont know why I didn't buy one sooner. VERY comfortable. Not firm as concrete, but you wont feel like you are in quicksand either. Did not want to get out of bed the past few morning!
:thumbup: Awesome.Just a question PatriotJohn: We don't ship direct to the customer for Amazon; we ship to Amazon's warehouse first and they ship to you. How did the packaging hold up when it got to your house? Was it beat to crap or was it okay?
NJ: Box was in fantastic shape. It appeared to originate from their warehouse in Indiana, and got to Dayton in under 36 hours....impressive! Neighbor was so impressed she ordered a mattress for her boyfriend and it arrived today in flawless condition as well. Thanks!
We are going to need you to flesh this out a bit more. On a Friday would be best. If its a good story I may try it too.
LOL, good stuff.For what it's worth, the non-sleeping activities on the memory foam are awesome.
What about noise?
Definitely no squeaking. At least from the bed. :banned:

Hey guys, hate to see this thread get buried so deep. Just wondering if everyone could post a comment about how well their bed is holding up? Even if you have had it for 2 years, still report the condition it is in. I am bouncing between the Sleep Innovations, the Lucid by LinenSpa, and the Bed In a Box. Granted the first two are a heck of a lot cheaper by almost half for King size.Thanks guys
You may want to take my opinion with a grain of salt considering it's known that I work for the company, but I love mine and it's like new one year after I got it. And I'm a gentleman of the larger ilk. (Slp Innov.)

I have had mine for almost a week now and I love it thus far. Honestly, I had a sleep number and now switched to the 12" sleep innovations King from Amazon and am glad I switched. Every time I wake up in the morning I feel like I got a great deep sleep.

I have some decent sheets I got from Kohls but I want some better ones. Any suggestions?

I have had mine for almost a week now and I love it thus far. Honestly, I had a sleep number and now switched to the 12" sleep innovations King from Amazon and am glad I switched. Every time I wake up in the morning I feel like I got a great deep sleep.I have some decent sheets I got from Kohls but I want some better ones. Any suggestions?
Costco usually has some really good sheets with ridiculously high thread counts.

I have had mine for almost a week now and I love it thus far. Honestly, I had a sleep number and now switched to the 12" sleep innovations King from Amazon and am glad I switched. Every time I wake up in the morning I feel like I got a great deep sleep.I have some decent sheets I got from Kohls but I want some better ones. Any suggestions?
Costco usually has some really good sheets with ridiculously high thread counts.
Homegoods to. Just picked up some 500 thread count sheet ser for $40 (normally sold for $120)Its all about high thread count

I was advised NOT to get high thread counts for this type of mattress (it will sleep too hot), I think my thread count is 350 - Sateen I think - I live in South Florida so I definitely did not want heavy (and hot) sheets.

I was advised NOT to get high thread counts for this type of mattress (it will sleep too hot), I think my thread count is 350 - Sateen I think - I live in South Florida so I definitely did not want heavy (and hot) sheets.
why would thread count have anything at all to do with that. thread count is mostly a bull#### number anyways.

'culdeus said:
'Jojo the circus boy said:
why would thread count have anything at all to do with that. thread count is mostly a bull#### number anyways.
Higher thread count sheets are a little warmer, a little more durable, and drape differently.

Just ordered the 10" Sleep Innovations - I'll report back occasionally with my thoughts on it.

As an aside, I purchased the Sleep-Tite waterproof mattress cover since we have cats (one with diabetes who has bladder issues if not controlled.) Needless to say less than a week after putting the cover on, he decided to test our mattress cover not once, but twice in 3 days. The cover worked perfectly, with the new mattress not getting a drop. Other than washing our bedding twice over and a trip to the vet, it was the best thing we could have bought for the mattress, which is still a dream to sleep on.

I am going to order from Amazon today. Do you guys recommend the 10 inch (with 3 inc memory foam) or the 12 inch with 2.5 memory foam?
Ordered 12 inch today, payed $3.99 as a prime member for overnight delivery. Already got a text saying my order has been shipped. Will update next week!
I got a 12" king, about 4 months, and two 10" twins for my son's bunk bed about 2 weeks ago; they both sleep fine but, as other have said, the 10" is a little less firm (not a big difference). I had mentioned, earlier in this thread, about my back and that I used to sleep on the floor. Some of my back issues have returned but not to any level that would get me off of that mattress; it is a really good buy, the whole family is sleeping better than we have in years.

Homegoods to. Just picked up some 500 thread count sheet ser for $40 (normally sold for $120)Its all about high thread count
We had 1,000 count sheets for several years. I think it took a year to break them in.

I am going to order from Amazon today. Do you guys recommend the 10 inch (with 3 inc memory foam) or the 12 inch with 2.5 memory foam?
I read through a fair number of the reviews, and combined with the information in this thread, the key seems to be that there's 3" of memory foam/7" of base foam on the 10" mattress and 2.5" of memory foam/9.5" of base foam on the 12" mattress. So, the 10" is going to be softer, but the 12" is probably likely to last longer.The price is close enough that it's not much of a consideration when choosing, I thought. I went with the 10" because the reviews on it had some people mentioning that it was firmer than they expected, but not many people saying it was too firm. The 12" seemed to tip over that lin slightly for some people.

Ordered 12 inch today, payed $3.99 as a prime member for overnight delivery. Already got a text saying my order has been shipped. Will update next week!
So I ordered this Thursday and it was delivered Friday but I was out of town until Monday. I have had a bad back for awhile now and it was hurting all last week when I would wake up so thats what pushed me over the edge to buy. My bed being the problem was confirmed this weekend as I slept in a cheap hotel, snowboarded and drank my butt off all 3 days, and woke up with my back feeling better than it had over the past two weeks. Got home monday and carried the box up. As others have said, I was suprised it fit in the box. Opened it up and let it do its thing to get back to its shape. It says you can sleep on it right away, so I slept on it last night and slept like a baby. Super comfortable. Woke up well refreshed and no back pain. Smell was noticeable but not to bad, and should be gone in the next few days. Ill try to update again in the next few weeks, but after one night, I am very happy with the purchase.

My installation story...

The Amazon 10" mattress came during the day. My wife was industrious and managed to get it upstairs, on the bed, and unfurled, then she put sheets and covers on it and rested for 30 minutes. I got home and was really disappointed in how stiff it was, but many people have said it takes a couple of days to get used to it. However, I felt the bottom of the mattress and realized my wife had put it on upside down, with the memory foam on the bottom. Flipped it over and we're happy so far. I'm glad she wanted to like the mattress enough that she didn't commit to hating it even when she rested on the structural foam.

After a couple of nights, it's fine. We were replacing a pillow top Beautyrest that we loved for 15 years, but was finally sagging. I wouldn't call this replacement a spectacular improvement - it's pretty equivalent. But for the money, that's tremendous. We'll see how it does over time, but we're not disappointed so far.

Our next purchase will be the 12" Sleep Innovations from Amazon. Probably in about a month. This thread is going to save me about $500. Would have never considered going away from a traditional mattress before, but everybody loves these things so we're getting one.

Someone clarify this for me:

Why is a more thick mattress of foam firmer? This seems counter-intuitive.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a SI and I guess the 10" to ensure not too firm based on the reviews.

Someone clarify this for me:Why is a more thick mattress of foam firmer? This seems counter-intuitive.I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a SI and I guess the 10" to ensure not too firm based on the reviews.
It has nothing to do with the thickness. It's about the makeup of the foam. There usually are two layers of foam (unless you get a fancy three layer mattress). There is the base foam and then the memory foam on top. The bigger base foam/memory foam ratio, the firmer the mattress. Memory foam gives you the softness.

I have a Sealy Posture Pedic I got from a customer of our company (work for a trucking company)

Got an insane deal, $399 Queen including box and delivery.

Best sleep I've ever had.

NJDawgPound: regarding the shipping size of your product. What is the width of the 12" Queen before you open the vacuum seal? Is it much smaller than a normal Queen? I ask because I live in an old row home and a normal queen doesn't fit up my top staircase to the master suite. I had to bring up my current mattress over the 3rd floor deck and in through the deck door when I moved in which was a major PITA.

NJDawgPound: regarding the shipping size of your product. What is the width of the 12" Queen before you open the vacuum seal? Is it much smaller than a normal Queen? I ask because I live in an old row home and a normal queen doesn't fit up my top staircase to the master suite. I had to bring up my current mattress over the 3rd floor deck and in through the deck door when I moved in which was a major PITA.
It's folded like a "W" and looks somewhat like a large beer keg in its compressed form. It comes in a big box with side holes and it's not that hard lugging it up the stairs, but if you need to, you'll have no problem if you take the compressed mattress up the stairs without the box.

I was perilously close to pulling the trigger on a Tempurpedic Cloud a couple of weeks ago, but just couldn't quite justify the cost. I've considered BIB or the Amazon SI, but my wife isn't too keen on buying a "knock off" sight unseen despite the good reviews here. I appreciate the comments in this thread; too many reviews out there for mattresses seem to be from a manufacturer posing as a customer.

I did get a Tempurpedic pillow for Christmas and I've been a big fan so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was perilously close to pulling the trigger on a Tempurpedic Cloud a couple of weeks ago, but just couldn't quite justify the cost. I've considered BIB or the Amazon SI, but my wife isn't too keen on buying a "knock off" sight unseen despite the good reviews here. I appreciate the comments in this thread; too many reviews out there for mattresses seem to be from a manufacturer posing as a customer.I did get a Tempurpedic pillow for Christmas and I've been a big fan so far.
Amazon has a great return policy btw.We've had the 12" SI for about a year now......bought it sight unseenWill not look back, it's excellent.

I posted years ago in this thread about my hatred fro memopry Foam mattresses because I thought hey slept way too "hot."

Last week at a hotel, I spent every night on a Tempur-Pedic mattress and I must admit, I was wrong. Very wrong. This was the best sleep the wife and I experienced ever. It was incredible.

I am not going to buy one for the house, but obviously Tempur-Pedic is priced too ridiculously, compared to the Sleep Innovations listed here. I assume the quality of the two is close enough to go with SI?

What about a box spring? Can I use the one currently supporting my innerspring?

Any good, green things I can do with my old king innerspring? What if I collected about a hundred of them, covered them with dirt,, leveled them, planted grass on top and had god's own volleyball court?

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted years ago in this thread about my hatred fro memopry Foam mattresses because I thought hey slept way too "hot."

Last week at a hotel, I spent every night on a Tempur-Pedic mattress and I must admit, I was wrong. Very wrong. This was the best sleep the wife and I experienced ever. It was incredible.

I am not going to buy one for the house, but obviously Tempur-Pedic is priced too ridiculously, compared to the Sleep Innovations listed here. I assume the quality of the two is close enough to go with SI?

What about a box spring? Can I use the one currently supporting my innerspring?

Any good, green things I can do with my old king innerspring? What if I collected about a hundred of them, covered them with dirt,, leveled them, planted grass on top and had god's own volleyball court?

Damn, you put a lot of tags in that post. We gave our old mattress to a battered women's shelter. They came to pick it up, which was nice. Our SI doesn't seem to be sleeping hot, though the smell has taken longer to dissipate than other people have mentioned. We do take the sheets off on many days to let it air out, but it's taking some time. We just used the box spring we had for our Beautyrest and it's fine.

We got a twin SI to test out for my kid. She likes it but thinks it is funny that her bottom shape stays in when she sits on it.

My king arrived two days ago and i've been letting it air out. We are weighing whether to get a pillow top or not for it, but will wait a few weeks probably to make that call

i'll test it out with some :pickle: tomorrow.

That is a good tip about donating mattress. i will look into that.

Early thoughts on 10" SI

The first night I slept in it I had the night sweats fairly bad. Since then it hasn't happened nearly as bad, but it still sleeps a little warm. I've looked into pads and I think I'm going to top with a wool topper.

Bed is still changing quite a bit after letting it recover for 4 days of no use. I have started to adjust to it, but I really like the vibration isolation from the wife.

Smell took about 48hrs to recover.

I have a bad back and have had ZERO issues waking up after sleeping. I'd say on my old spring one about 15% of days I'd have some noticeable to severe pain, and half I'd at least be a little stiff.

The first night I slept in it I had the night sweats fairly bad. Since then it hasn't happened nearly as bad, but it still sleeps a little warm. I've looked into pads and I think I'm going to top with a wool topper.
A mattress pad/topper of some sort is needed IMO....I tried my BIAB one night without it and was hot as well, but put a simple cotton/padded mattress pad over the top and it seems to help alot.Not sure about a wool topper though...I'd think wool in itself would be a pretty heat trapping fabric, no?

A mattress pad/topper of some sort is needed IMO....I tried my BIAB one night without it and was hot as well, but put a simple cotton/padded mattress pad over the top and it seems to help alot.Not sure about a wool topper though...I'd think wool in itself would be a pretty heat trapping fabric, no?
Wool is the best for cooling of any material other than a few foam toppers, but you can wash the wool pads.

Thinking of going with a Sleep # bed when I get my tax returns. My mother has one, and I fell asleep on it after thanksgiving dinner this past year, and it felt amazing.

I know the price is ridiculous, but does anyone have any experiences with the brand?

Thinking of going with a Sleep # bed when I get my tax returns. My mother has one, and I fell asleep on it after thanksgiving dinner this past year, and it felt amazing.I know the price is ridiculous, but does anyone have any experiences with the brand?
Through research found out they always start out great, and then within a couple years start to drastically tail off. (air leaks, mechanical issues, bad customer service to replace anything, etc)Step back and think about it....do you really want something that has mechanical parts operating it for something you expect to use 7+ hours a day, everyday, for 10 years?

About to pull the trigger on the 12" SI but I'm definitely concerned about sleeping hot.

Occasionally I sleep in my son's bed with him and he's got a standard Serta bed but with waterproof liner that makes me sweat like hell. I need something under me that will breathe.

About to pull the trigger on the 12" SI but I'm definitely concerned about sleeping hot.Occasionally I sleep in my son's bed with him and he's got a standard Serta bed but with waterproof liner that makes me sweat like hell. I need something under me that will breathe.
I was worried about this too.I've found that initially it sleeps a little warm, but in time you'll find you don't notice it.Great bed, period.

Early thoughts on 10" SI

Bed is still changing quite a bit after letting it recover for 4 days of no use. I have started to adjust to it, but I really like the vibration isolation from the wife.

Smell took about 48hrs to recover.

I have a bad back and have had ZERO issues waking up after sleeping. I'd say on my old spring one about 15% of days I'd have some noticeable to severe pain, and half I'd at least be a little stiff.
Your wife must be using a huge vibrator to shake your side of the bed.

Everytime I see this thread, it reminds me of the tremendous life decision I made by buying Bed in the Box.

5 stars :thumbup:

I ordered the queen 12" SI today for the guest bedroom.

We'll see how good this is....the reviews seem to be nothing but positive

I am curious how delivery will work out as I might not be home when this thing gets delivered

How has that worked out for everyone that has ordered from amazon ?

Mattress arrived yesterday

Took two days....really fast shipping

UPS left it sitting in the rain in front of the garage at noon

It was out in the rain for 30 minutes :shock:

The box itself was wet and weighed 94 lbs

I manhandled that thing into the house and up the stairs.

The mattress itself was encased in plastic and was never in danger of getting wet :thumbup:

Mattress was taken out of plastic and exploded into regular size

Tried mattress a couple hours later and it seems very comfy

Still waiting on box spring and will get a full night sleep on this thing soon

Mrs Snapperhead approves also even though she was leery of buying a mattress on the Innerwebs

As of now....ZERO regrets of buying this mattress !!

My thanks to FBG for the most excellent recommendations/impressions

Users who are viewing this thread