What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the best mattress? (1 Viewer)

My piece of crap mattress did my back in this weekend and now I can barely walk.Just read through all 12 pages of this thread this afternoon. Great info. Will take a closer look at the Sleep Innovations product at the local Costco.

It's been 2-1/2 years and I'm still real pleased with the Original Mattress Factory models we got. Mine in particular is one without springs and I won't trade it for anything. Al--you'd have to travel to Ohio to see them; Raiders 'fraid they're not out your way that I can tell.

Over a year now and still really happy with my Bed in a Box (queen, bamboo cover)Only addition I made was to cover it with a standard thinly padded cotton mattress pad...reduces the heat issue a bit since not sleeping right on top of the foam.

Hey Dawg-Costco is showing the model you have talked about under Novaform: Novaform® Serafina Gel King Memory Foam MattressThey also shows another similar priced Novaform: NovaForm® Pure Comfort™ King Mattress which says it has "NutraTemp™ memory foam allows you to sleep cooler".What is the big difference between these two? Is the NutraTemp some newer technology?
bumpyou out there dawg?
Sorry guys, been real busy at work. Will answer shortly.

Any suggestions on a decent pillow top king size mattress?I would like to keep it under $1k.....maybe under $800, if possible.

'DA RAIDERS said:
Hey Dawg-

Costco is showing the model you have talked about under Novaform: Novaform® Serafina Gel King Memory Foam Mattress

They also shows another similar priced Novaform: NovaForm® Pure Comfort™ King Mattress which says it has "NutraTemp™ memory foam allows you to sleep cooler".

What is the big difference between these two? Is the NutraTemp some newer technology?
bumpyou out there dawg?
The cover on the Serafina is much nicer and quilted. A quilted cover can help alleviate some of the issues that may come with the reputation that memory foam sleeps hot. This is gel foam, which pressure maps better than regular memory foam. I have a gel and it's super comfortable and doesn't sleep warm at all. Pressure mapping if you don't know will tell you how many pressure points on the body are hit during testing and is a good indicator for pain and comfort. The Nutrafoam isn't really a new technology, but it is a great foam (regular memory foam, not gel).Starting the 7th, our newest in store model, the Novaform 14" is on special at Costco for three weeks. This is the same price as the 12" and is an awesome deal.

'DA RAIDERS said:
Hey Dawg-

Costco is showing the model you have talked about under Novaform: Novaform® Serafina Gel King Memory Foam Mattress

They also shows another similar priced Novaform: NovaForm® Pure Comfort™ King Mattress which says it has "NutraTemp™ memory foam allows you to sleep cooler".

What is the big difference between these two? Is the NutraTemp some newer technology?
bumpyou out there dawg?
The cover on the Serafina is much nicer and quilted. A quilted cover can help alleviate some of the issues that may come with the reputation that memory foam sleeps hot. This is gel foam, which pressure maps better than regular memory foam. I have a gel and it's super comfortable and doesn't sleep warm at all. Pressure mapping if you don't know will tell you how many pressure points on the body are hit during testing and is a good indicator for pain and comfort. The Nutrafoam isn't really a new technology, but it is a great foam (regular memory foam, not gel).Starting the 7th, our newest in store model, the Novaform 14" is on special at Costco for three weeks. This is the same price as the 12" and is an awesome deal.
Excellent. Thanks!

'DA RAIDERS said:
Hey Dawg-

bumpyou out there dawg?
Thx dawg!! I'm pulling the trigger this week. Is this the newest one you speak of? http://t.costco.com/Novaform®-14%22-Gel-Memory-Foam-Cal-King-Mattress.product.100027014.html

Last edited by a moderator:
'DA RAIDERS said:
Hey Dawg-

bumpyou out there dawg?
Thx dawg!! I'm pulling the trigger this week. Is this the newest one you speak of? http://t.costco.com/Novaform®-14%22-Gel-Memory-Foam-Cal-King-Mattress.product.100027014.html
damn! thats alota foam i think i might get this one

I sleep on both a Dormia memory foam mattress and a regular mattress every night. I like them both, but the foam is definitely firmer. Maybe I am not that picky but they are both comfortable to me.

NJ....or anyone for that matter....I bought the bed in a box off Amazon last December (15 months ago) and still love it! We just purchased a travel trailer with a pretty flimsy queen mattress, and wanted to get a 3 or 4" memory foam topper to stabilize it and make it more comfortable. Any suggestions? I have yet to measure it but I think it may be slightly shorter than a standard queen to save space. TIA.

'DA RAIDERS said:
Hey Dawg-

bumpyou out there dawg?
Yes sir!

Hey Dawg-

bumpyou out there dawg?
Yes sir!
Sorry to be a pain, but is it the Serrafina model you would prefer or the one I linked above? Serrafina model is currently $200 dollars more than the one I linked to above Serrafina Thx dawg

Hey Dawg-

bumpyou out there dawg?
Yes sir!
Sorry to be a pain, but is it the Serrafina model you would prefer or the one I linked above? Serrafina model is currently $200 dollars more than the one I linked to above Serrafina Thx dawg
To be honest with you, I've never sat or layed down on either one. I do know that Costco members and the Costco buyers are very pleased with both. Consumer Reports had awesome things to say about the Serafina and rated it 2nd best foam mattress right behind one of Tempurpedic's top (also expensive) models. I bought the previous Gel mattress that we had in the store, only 12 inches. This was about 3 years ago; it still feels new and we love it. I would think the 14" at the same price would be just as good as our foam is awesome.

Those with the memory foam beds. What did you put the mattress on? Box spring, bed with wood slat fram, floor, Metal frame with plywood or without?

Those with the memory foam beds. What did you put the mattress on? Box spring, bed with wood slat fram, floor, Metal frame with plywood or without?
bumpi'm in complete paralysis through analysis :wall:
We bought our foam mattress (King Size A.R.A 13" Sleep Science) from Costco just about about 1 year ago. Like most everyone else I had spent a small fortune on bad mattress's that didn't last very long. I bought the foam and I love it, but my wife thinks it is a little stiffer than needs to be some nights. The seceret will be if I still love in the next couple of years. But if not Costco will let me return it, so I'm not worried. The Sleep Science and Costco have a great warranty. Anyway we just custom cut and put one 3/4" plywood sheet over each the King Size split box springs after talking with the factory directly. It seems to work well and the manufacture says that it is an acceptable method. Also the bed doesn't sleep hot to me, but on ocassion during the spring when we get snow and cold one day and 70 degree temps the next, the heaters sometimes will keep blasting heat and the house heats up with the passive solar gain that day, and I will get too hot and have to kick the covers off those nights. But mainly I use a sheet and a light blanket in the winter and just a sheet in the summer. My back and shoulders feel much better over the last year. If I had to do over again, I might go to a lighter overall foam density bed for my wife, just to keep her happier. Sleep Science has some of the heaviest foam densities in the industry, similar to the tempur pedic foam weights and densities. I too used this same thread to start my research on the mattress's and it was helpful. I'm sure my questions and my various research I found and worried about is still listed in this thread somewhere. Hopefully this helps you with your base mattress question. I know we haven't regretted one minute spending less money and getting more bed when we bought our Sleep Science bed at Costco. Don't worry and take the plunge and start getting better sleep. You sound just like I did in this thread when I started looking for a new bed. It's all sleep depravation affecting your thought process. I know I was a lunatic last year until I got my bed and started sleeping better.

bumpi'm in complete paralysis through analysis :wall:
We put our foam mattress (Night Therapy Elite 13" from Sam's Club) directly on our old box spring. I though about installing a piece of plywood for some additional support between the box spring and the memory foam, but I never got around to it.

Probably hitting up Costco this week to make my purchase. Still trying to decide on the Novaform® 14" Gel Memory Foam King Mattress on sale for $699 after $100 off or spring for the Novaform 14" Serafina Gel King Memory Foam Mattress at $949.

What sort of cover are you people putting on the SI mattress to prevent leakage of ahem, fluid...to the matress itself? The one I just got sucked ### and I returned it.

We put it on the old box springs. Still loving it, and I can't wait to get home to it tonight after sleeping on a ship for 10 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have had the Sleep Innovations 10" King memory foam from Amazon for about 6 months, great mattress at a great price. Also works well with a heated mattress pad on those cold Michigan winter nights.

Probably hitting up Costco this week to make my purchase. Still trying to decide on the Novaform® 14" Gel Memory Foam King Mattress on sale for $699 after $100 off or spring for the Novaform 14" Serafina Gel King Memory Foam Mattress at $949.
Went last night and got the Novaform® 14" Gel Memory Foam King Mattress. Turned out it was $599 after the $100 off. :hifive: I got the last one of these at the Costco I went to (made it easy to pick this model over the Serafina since it was the only one they had).

We have had the Sleep Innovations 10" King memory foam from Amazon for about 6 months, great mattress at a great price. Also works well with a heated mattress pad on those cold Michigan winter nights.
Heated mattress pads are the freakin bombdigity.

Dawg or any other mattress guru's- is the gel memory foam "better" than traditional memory foam, or is it just a personal preference thing? What would you say are the main differences between traditional, gel, and latex?

Serious question: I haven't bought a mattress in WHILE. I'm talking like at least 10 years. All these new foams and gels everyone is talking about...I'm kind of old fashioned, and something I think about every time I open this thread is: aren't all these new mattresses extremely flammable? Pretty much everything I own in my home is 'real' - Wood, Metal, Glass, Cotton, Wool, etc.. I love a rock hard mattress, personally, but I'll be buying this spring for my 85-year-old Mom, as well as my fiancée and step-son. Have learned a lot here about many important factors in buying a mattress, and thanks to everyone for the info. Putting comfort and everything else aside though, what's available in mattresses these days if I don't want to get immolated in seconds or have my mattress melt to me in a searing burst of some synthetic material, if there was an emergency involving a fire? Anything still made the old fashioned way with 'real' materials, and of the highest quality? I'm not very concerned with how much I spend. Does what I'm talking about even exist? TIA.

'Al Czervik said:
Went last night and got the Novaform® 14" Gel Memory Foam King Mattress. Turned out it was $599 after the $100 off. :hifive: I got the last one of these at the Costco I went to (made it easy to pick this model over the Serafina since it was the only one they had).
Thinking about picking this exact mattress up before the end of the month, so any feedback you can provide would be great.

'Al Czervik said:
i bought the exact same one. 1st night, so so. last few nights have been pretty good. i put it on 3/4 inch plywood on the metal bed frame. i think it will run a little warmer, but no issues so far.

Over a year now and still really happy with my Bed in a Box (queen, bamboo cover)Only addition I made was to cover it with a standard thinly padded cotton mattress pad...reduces the heat issue a bit since not sleeping right on top of the foam.
Almost 2 years for us. Still the best bed I ever owned. So comfortable.

Went last night and got the Novaform® 14" Gel Memory Foam King Mattress. Turned out it was $599 after the $100 off. :hifive:I got the last one of these at the Costco I went to (made it easy to pick this model over the Serafina since it was the only one they had).
i bought the exact same one. 1st night, so so. last few nights have been pretty good. i put it on 3/4 inch plywood on the metal bed frame.i think it will run a little warmer, but no issues so far.
Been meaning to check in and report that the mattress is working out great. Super firm support, yet very comfortable too.

Also, for those asking about the base, we put ours on our old box spring and it is working just fine (no plywood). In fact, instructions stated that I should place the mattress on my old box spring or support structure.

Hey Dawg-

bumpyou out there dawg?
Any updates on these beds from the guys that bought them recently? The newest one you talked about isn't listed on Costco website anymore, but http://www.costco.com/Novaform-14%22-Serafina-Gel-King-Memory-Foam-Mattress.product.100031199.html is on sale until the end of the month. If this is the way to go, I'm probably going to pull the trigger unless the newer model is still available in store and is just a better buy. Little help please?

i literally just returned the mattress. :( the one i got never became the correct shape. on one edge near a corner, there was a large dent that never expanded correctly. it was also a little too warm for me and even more so for my wife, which was a surprise. another thing that i didn't like at all, was that i could barely sit on the edge of the bed. it would collapse to the point that it felt as if i was going to fall off the bed. maybe i got a bad one, but my parents $2000+ foam bed is firm enough that you can sit on the edge. :shrug:

6 weeks in to our Sleep Innovations 12" Sure Temp memory foam mattress. Got it for $399 through Amazon.

The first few days, it took some getting used to. Now I love it. It seems to sleep warmer, but that honestly could be because (duh) its the warm time of year. Sex is still great.

Thanks NJDawg for your help. http://forumimages.footballguys.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/thumbup1.gif
I bought the 10" queen via Amazon based on the thread. Had it for almost 2 years now. Very good bed. My wife and I both love it.

6 weeks in to our Sleep Innovations 12" Sure Temp memory foam mattress. Got it for $399 through Amazon.

The first few days, it took some getting used to. Now I love it. It seems to sleep warmer, but that honestly could be because (duh) its the warm time of year. Sex is still great.

Thanks NJDawg for your help. http://forumimages.footballguys.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/thumbup1.gif
I bought the 10" queen via Amazon based on the thread. Had it for almost 2 years now. Very good bed. My wife and I both love it.
Exactly the same for me.

I have never seen so many people that like sleeping on a cheap mattress. I'm still a fan of the Simmons Beautyrest and those can be bought for around $1,000 or less.

My wife and I bought another bed along the way, paid twice the price and the thing started dipping in the middle. We went back to Simmons, had this one for 10+ years and we never have had a problem with it.

I don't think I could use the bed in a box, I tend to get very warm at night, I would be interested in a cool bed. I just wonder if some of you like the bed because it is inexpensive. I would be worried about long term back issues.

I have never seen so many people that like sleeping on a cheap mattress. I'm still a fan of the Simmons Beautyrest and those can be bought for around $1,000 or less. My wife and I bought another bed along the way, paid twice the price and the thing started dipping in the middle. We went back to Simmons, had this one for 10+ years and we never have had a problem with it. I don't think I could use the bed in a box, I tend to get very warm at night, I would be interested in a cool bed. I just wonder if some of you like the bed because it is inexpensive. I would be worried about long term back issues.
Not following. I paid about $900 for my Queen Bed in a Box. I like it because its comfortable, and has nothing to do with the price.

Ministry of Pain said:
I have never seen so many people that like sleeping on a cheap mattress. I'm still a fan of the Simmons Beautyrest and those can be bought for around $1,000 or less.

My wife and I bought another bed along the way, paid twice the price and the thing started dipping in the middle. We went back to Simmons, had this one for 10+ years and we never have had a problem with it.

I don't think I could use the bed in a box, I tend to get very warm at night, I would be interested in a cool bed. I just wonder if some of you like the bed because it is inexpensive. I would be worried about long term back issues.
A couple years ago we were planning to buy a memory foam mattress. Neither of us liked it (tried several different brands). We ended up going with a natural latex mattress which was over the $1,000 you mentioned. Wife sleeps on her stomach, I sleep on my side. Both of us find it very comfortable. Part of the comfort is it doesn't get "hot"

Ministry of Pain said:

A couple years ago we were planning to buy a memory foam mattress. Neither of us liked it (tried several different brands). We ended up going with a natural latex mattress which was over the $1,000 you mentioned. Wife sleeps on her stomach, I sleep on my side. Both of us find it very comfortable. Part of the comfort is it doesn't get "hot"
I'm with you, I also sleep on my side quite a bit during the night. Wife also tends to sleep on her stomach at times. What brand or mattress?

Users who are viewing this thread