What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Wrong With Jay Cutler (1 Viewer)

Perhaps he smokes too much before a night game?

Is it just me or is Cutler exceedingly bad in night games? Would you be able to research Cutler's career record and relevant stats in day versus night games? I have a feeling that it will show significantly worse overall performance in night games. That might partially be because MNF and SNF games tend to be marquee matchups, but even controlling for that I suspect you would find Cutler to perform better in day games. -- Alex Maass, Evanston

Brad Biggs laid it out here http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-biggs-10-thoughts-after-bears-win-over-rams-20120924,0,2744916.story?page=4 in his "10 Thoughts" column. For the Bears, Cutler is 6-7 in prime time starts, compared to 20-11 in daytime starts. Biggs points out they are 3-7 if you take out victories over the Vikings. They are 3-6 on the road. Cutler at night for the Bears: 249-of-424 for 2,791 yards with 18 touchdowns and 21 interceptions. He has a 71.96 passer rating, a .587 completion percentage and a 6.58 average per attempt. Cutler during the day for the Bears: 579-of-970 for 7,110 yards with 48 touchdowns and 34 interceptions. He has an 84.3 passer rating, a .596 completion percentage and a 7.32 average per attempt.

Perhaps he smokes too much before a night game?

Is it just me or is Cutler exceedingly bad in night games? Would you be able to research Cutler's career record and relevant stats in day versus night games? I have a feeling that it will show significantly worse overall performance in night games. That might partially be because MNF and SNF games tend to be marquee matchups, but even controlling for that I suspect you would find Cutler to perform better in day games. -- Alex Maass, Evanston

Brad Biggs laid it out here http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-biggs-10-thoughts-after-bears-win-over-rams-20120924,0,2744916.story?page=4 in his "10 Thoughts" column. For the Bears, Cutler is 6-7 in prime time starts, compared to 20-11 in daytime starts. Biggs points out they are 3-7 if you take out victories over the Vikings. They are 3-6 on the road. Cutler at night for the Bears: 249-of-424 for 2,791 yards with 18 touchdowns and 21 interceptions. He has a 71.96 passer rating, a .587 completion percentage and a 6.58 average per attempt. Cutler during the day for the Bears: 579-of-970 for 7,110 yards with 48 touchdowns and 34 interceptions. He has an 84.3 passer rating, a .596 completion percentage and a 7.32 average per attempt.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7760/splits

Fantastic breakdown and read. Other than Waldman's blog is there anywhere else where I can get breakdowns like this? I've come to football late in life and hunger for this kind of KNOWLEDGE.

Fantastic breakdown and read. Other than Waldman's blog is there anywhere else where I can get breakdowns like this? I've come to football late in life and hunger for this kind of KNOWLEDGE.
You can check out smartfootball.comAlso, pat kirwan's book sounds pretty goodPatkirwan.comAnd if you pm me to remind me i'll link you to belichick's play breakdowns when i get home

What is he good at?

What i sthe Bears' alternative?
What is he good at?

Being a mediocre QB

What is the Bears' alternative?

Currently it would be Jason Campbell or we could bring Caleb Hanie or Josh McCown back...

Last edited by a moderator:
What is he good at? What i sthe Bears' alternative?
If he's given time in the pocket he can tear defenses apart with his pinpoint throws. The problem is once he gets rattled he very rarely is able to shake it off. When rattled he appears to completely lose pocket presence, stare guys down, and try to rifle the ball into whatever window is there rather than find the open man. That's bad enough, but he shortens his throwing motion by not worrying about where his feet are, not stepping into the throw, and thinking he can do it all with arm strength alone. The result is wildly inaccurate and late throws that defenses love to catch. He really is 2 different QB's in the pocket; when unpressured he's a Pro Bowler, once rattled he's Rex Grossman 2.0. There are no alternatives, the Bears will address the offensive line in the offseason/draft and hopefully keep the rattled Jay in the closet.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can check out smartfootball.comAlso, pat kirwan's book sounds pretty goodPatkirwan.comAnd if you pm me to remind me i'll link you to belichick's play breakdowns when i get home
Doug Farrar's Yahoo! blog articles on Shutdown Corner are good, too.

After four six years of Jay Cutler as the Bears quarterback, I’m beginning to hedge on my expectations. Cutler has fundamental issues that show up repeatedly on the field: bad footwork, questionable reads, poor pocket awareness, and inaccurate passes. Many of these issues are related, but they are costing Chicago negative plays, drives, points, and ultimately wins.

Users who are viewing this thread