What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What song are you listening to right now? (2 Viewers)

10cc - Life Is A Minestrone (1975)

🎶 Life is a minestrone
Served up with Parmesan cheese
Death is a cold Lasagna
Suspended in deep freeze🎶

Song was #7 in both the UK and Ireland. Didn't make the Billboard Hot 100 in US (Bubbled under at #104) and didn't chart at all in Canada.

I think the reason for lack of success on this side of the pond was that this was the single released right before their breakthrough stateside hit "I'm Not In Love"

New Radicals - Mother We Just Can't Get Enough (1998)

🎶 Yeah! Woo! Yeah! Woo!🎶

Missed this group and the song entirely (surprisingly since they were a hometown L.A. band).

For its time this was retro 70' throwback.

The vocalist and the band sound reminds me of Jimmy Hall and Wet Willie (with a touch of Mick Jagger).

Skydonkey - Moon Rabbit (2023)

A popular Bangkok, Thailand cover band (Nirvana, Incubus, The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys) who have started writing their own material and this is their first release which is in the Shoegaze, Jangle Pop category.

This would have been in my picks of the 2023 Year End Song Draft thread, but I ran across it too late to include it.

Picking up my lunch... Some country guy doing an almost exact replica cover of Tracy Chapmans Fast Car. Great song... Not sure what this is doing for it.

Picking up my lunch... Some country guy doing an almost exact replica cover of Tracy Chapmans Fast Car. Great song... Not sure what this is doing for it.

Luke Combs. It's apparently quite the hit. I wouldn't know what it would do for it, either. Seems like Tracy Chapman was the person to sing that song. Though I can see economic depression in the countryside, too.

I'm listening to "Less Than Zero" by Elvis Costello

J.P. Burr - Suffer (2019)

Not sure how to classify this tune as per genre. He is from Nashville but I wouldn't call this alt country exactly.

That said, an excellent production with the muddy heartbeat sound opening, then the jangly guitar along with his great vocals (which there are occasional echos of, that adds to the song).

Luke Combs. It's apparently quite the hit. I wouldn't know what it would do for it, either. Seems like Tracy Chapman was the person to sing that song. Though I can see economic depression in the countryside, too.

I'm listening to "Less Than Zero" by Elvis Costello

Yeah... It translates lyrically well to country. Just kept waiting for more of a unique take besides it being a country dude singing. I guess it's an old enough tune that it's a whole new generation getting to hear it for the first time. Hopefully lining Chapmans pockets a bit

Robin Trower - Lady Love (1975)

🎶
Maybe tomorrow, your fever will find me
Waiting for me now
Lady love

I'll find you waiting
Lady love
🎶

Vocals: James Dewar

The few times I got to ride alone in the car with my dad, he'd turn on the radio. He never did that with the rest of the family in the car, so it was kind of a magic time for me. This was in the late 1950's and early 1960's. I completely loved it, having never listened to radio music before. And I learned then that some music, good music, could get through all my defenses. All these years later I still remember the 3 songs that had the biggest impact on me ---- Muleskinner Blues, Ghost Riders in the Sky, and this one, which to 10-year-old me sounded like love. Like what a love song was. If you grew up then, you'd know.

Angel Baby
Rosie and the Originals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xm3qnh1sck

The few times I got to ride alone in the car with my dad, he'd turn on the radio. He never did that with the rest of the family in the car, so it was kind of a magic time for me. This was in the late 1950's and early 1960's. I completely loved it, having never listened to radio music before. And I learned then that some music, good music, could get through all my defenses. All these years later I still remember the 3 songs that had the biggest impact on me ---- Muleskinner Blues, Ghost Riders in the Sky, and this one, which to 10-year-old me sounded like love. Like what a love song was. If you grew up then, you'd know.

Angel Baby
Rosie and the Originals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xm3qnh1sck
The story behind Angel Baby is interesting:

Angel Baby (Rosie and the Originals song)​

"Angel Baby" was a 1960 single by Rosie and the Originals. The group recorded the song independently on a two-track machine, located in a facility in the small farming community of San Marcos, California. At the time, lead singer Rosie Hamlin was only 15 years old. She had written the lyrics for "Angel Baby" as a poem for "[her] very first boyfriend" when she was a 14-year-old student at Mission Bay High School in San Diego, California.[2]

Initially unable to find a label willing to distribute the song because of its unpolished sound, the group convinced a San Diego department store to pipe their master through the listening booths in the record department. The response from listeners prompted Highland Records to sign the band and promote the single. Since its release the song has become an oldies standard.

Rosie & The Originals​

The song debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 in December 1960 and remained on the charts for 13 weeks, reaching No. 5 on January 28, 1961. On the R&B charts, "Angel Baby" also peaked at #5 and remained on that chart for eight weeks. In 1961, "Angel Baby" was also released in Canada (#6) on the Zirkon label and in Australia and England on London Records. The British release slightly edited the intro.

Van Morrison - (Straight to Your Heart) Like a Cannonball (1971)

How could you not love a song with the lyrics Doodle Oodle Oodle Oo?

And listen to how he holds that note to end to finish the song. Wow.

Raspberries - Go All The Way (Mike Douglas 1974)

Holy crap! This is an original soundboard recording, not the dubbed over studio hit that we've seen on YouTube.

I have bad mouthed The Raspberries for years and have to eat my words. They were a great band live and Eric Carmen had a really nice voice.

This looks like all the music was a backing track and just added Carmen's live vocal feed. Sounds horrible to me.

Holy crap! This is an original soundboard recording, not the dubbed over studio hit that we've seen on YouTube.

I have bad mouthed The Raspberries for years and have to eat my words. They were a great band live and Eric Carmen had a really nice voice.

This looks like all the music was a backing track and just added Carmen's live vocal feed. Sounds horrible to me.

No it's all live. Not a good sound mix but not Carmen performing to a prerecorded track.

No it's all live. Not a good sound mix but not Carmen performing to a prerecorded track.

Dude, watch right when they pan to the band, guy on right is trying to get them to roll the music. Watch it four times, each looking at a different guy. They're way behind. And it's not a matter of the video not syncing to the sound, the rest of the video matches. Bands have been faking it on these shows for years, it's not some big secret.

Users who are viewing this thread