What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What the hell happened to Yahoo? (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
Not sure if this is just new to me, but my view of Yahoo is now horrible. I can tell they "upgraded" it to "make it better", but they failed miserably. It's pretty much unusable now.

:thumbdown:

Websites in general have a problem understanding that less is more.
It's really hard now finding a good news site that is easy on the eyes and makes for quick viewing.

I'm always constantly trying a new homepage to find something solid.

:goodposting:

Craigslist is still a great website because it just works and is easy to navigate.. it doesn't need flash or HTML 5 or craziness.

But maybe we're all getting old and just want "text" whereas in their market research younger people want style and "beauty" in their websites.

So what's a good homepage to use (for current world news)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta love the "______ is still around?" or the "People still use ______?" guy. Never gets old.
Right. If I'm the only person using Yahoo, you'd think they'd cater to my needs a little better.
It's my daily lunchtime browsing spot when the FFA is slow. I actually do like their news stories. It's just enough of a mix of CNN, E! and ESPN for me, with a little trash and stupidity thrown in for flavor. These gems keep me coming back as they are a Yahoo! staple:

-"10 tips to save money." Tips include "Don't carry a large credit card balance," and other gems

-"Amazing play on MNF last night." Article fails to include any video of the play because it's copywrited, and tries to explain it miserably.

-"Foods that you should avoid." News flash - Deep Fried Oreos are bad for you.

Gotta love the "______ is still around?" or the "People still use ______?" guy. Never gets old.
Right. If I'm the only person using Yahoo, you'd think they'd cater to my needs a little better.
It's my daily lunchtime browsing spot when the FFA is slow. I actually do like their news stories. It's just enough of a mix of CNN, E! and ESPN for me, with a little trash and stupidity thrown in for flavor. These gems keep me coming back as they are a Yahoo! staple:

-"10 tips to save money." Tips include "Don't carry a large credit card balance," and other gems

-"Amazing play on MNF last night." Article fails to include any video of the play because it's copywrited, and tries to explain it miserably.

:lmao:

Yup. That's the site I love.

Arizona Ron said:
CBSSports updated their fantasy sites for commissioner leagues. It is a cluster F of epic proportions. I can't believe someone may have been paid to persuade anyone into making so many incredibly idiotic changes to a site that beforehand was very user friendly.

Fat Nick said:
TheIronSheik said:
Payne said:

They had a couple gems posted somewhere here like:

"Save $25k this summer by not going on a European vacation!"

Fat Nick said:
TheIronSheik said:
Payne said:

[SIZE=medium]That’s sound advice, but I already saved $200K by not buying a Lamborghini Gallardo. [/SIZE]

I still use DrudgeReport as my home page. I like seeing both ends of the crazy spectrum (Reddit /r/politics representing the Left, most of the time).

Fat Nick said:
TheIronSheik said:
Payne said:

[SIZE=medium]That’s sound advice, but I already saved $200K by not buying a Lamborghini Gallardo. [/SIZE]
Here is one of the threads:

When my cell phone bill got ridiculously expensive, I changed my plan and cut down on my calls. I used to subscribe to a 1,400-minutes-per-month plan, and had four cell phones sharing this plan. I was paying $236 a month for this. However, when I downgraded to a 400-minutes-per-month plan, my new bill was $100, saving me $136 a month and $1,632 per year.

When Netflix decided to issue a 60 percent rate hike during a recession, I waved goodbye to Netflix and said hello to Redbox. My $62-per-month entertainment expense for six Blu-rays out at a time quickly became an $8-a-month Redbox expense for eight movies a month. My savings? $54 a month, or $648 per year.

I like my news like I like my women: light and easy. I usually have 4 tabs open (besides the FFA and work sites) that I skip around refreshing for time killers. They are CNN, Yahoo, ESPN and MSN. Looks like I need a replacement for Yahoo, because the new setup is stupid.

I liked scrolling the news box thingys there too. This blows. But I guess they weren't making much money off me before and now I might accidentally click on some sponsored content, assuming that's what some of these articles are or will be.

i still use Yahoo everyday. Still think yahoo has the best fantasy sports interface. Its by far the most user friendly.

I like my news like I like my women: light and easy. I usually have 4 tabs open (besides the FFA and work sites) that I skip around refreshing for time killers. They are CNN, Yahoo, ESPN and MSN. Looks like I need a replacement for Yahoo, because the new setup is stupid.
Could always join the Reddit train. The default "front page" will be young/nerd/liberal centric, but if you make an account you can adjust it to only show you the exact sections you want. I'll admit, that was too much work for me though. I'm a default front page sheeple.

I still use DrudgeReport as my home page. I like seeing both ends of the crazy spectrum (Reddit /r/politics representing the Left, most of the time).
Holy crap, he still exists. Page leads off with Ebola hysteria and Obama wasting taxpayer money on frivolous trips. Solid.

I liked scrolling the news box thingys there too. This blows. But I guess they weren't making much money off me before and now I might accidentally click on some sponsored content, assuming that's what some of these articles are or will be.
EXACTLY! That's what I loved! Simple. And if I hit refresh, there were usually new ones updated regularly. I don't want to have to scroll through hundreds of lines of headlines. I want pictures! Pictures and simple headlines about stupid things. :rant:

Could always join the Reddit train. The default "front page" will be young/nerd/liberal centric, but if you make an account you can adjust it to only show you the exact sections you want. I'll admit, that was too much work for me though. I'm a default front page sheeple.
I went to Reddit once and it was information overload. I think I'm too old to understand it. Plus, I'm not that fond of people commenting on stories. All people do is fight about how much they hate Obama or religion. No matter what the story is about. I'm a simple man. I like simple things. :shrug:

EXACTLY! That's what I loved! Simple. And if I hit refresh, there were usually new ones updated regularly. I don't want to have to scroll through hundreds of lines of headlines. I want pictures! Pictures and simple headlines about stupid things. :rant:
What am I missing...I went to Yahoo! and it looks just like it always does... ??

I went to Reddit once and it was information overload. I think I'm too old to understand it. Plus, I'm not that fond of people commenting on stories. All people do is fight about how much they hate Obama or religion. No matter what the story is about. I'm a simple man. I like simple things. :shrug:
Fair enough. The interface is ugly as #### and only really makes sense if you're used to it. Reddit comment fights tend to be more focused on the topic at hand, but it does get just as vicious as anywhere else that allows anonymous dialogue.

What am I missing...I went to Yahoo! and it looks just like it always does... ??
:popcorn:

I wonder if it's a slow rollout. I saw some people complaining about Yahoo a couple of weeks back and I thought the same thing as you. But today, I have a different Yahoo.

Instead of the top showing 4 or 5 stories with pictures that you can cycle through, they are gone. The headlines that used to be under those pictures are now the main site. So it's similar to the old setup, but they did away with the top stories that you could cycle through. They have something similar now on the right with about 6 pictures, now going down instead of across the top. But you can't cycle them. So instead of 60 different stories, you get 8.

That's my view, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread