What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is nobody talking about Dwyer? (1 Viewer)

Teezee

Footballguy
Why aren't the "sharks" on Jonathan Dwyer? I haven't seen much on him if at all. Brought in Todd Haley, and I will speculate that Pitt wants to be a little more balanced this year. Ike Redman, pedestrian talent, more like a bridge to something better... which leads me to Dwyer. Every-down back, prototypical running style - downhill. Can catch too. I love his enthusiasm for wanting to run everyone over but might want to tone that down a little bit for his sake. Only 23. This is my guy that is setup for the most success and opportunity without an injury needing to occur.

Dwyer doesn't have the "burst" of a top talent. I view both him and Redman as bridges to another replacement (healthy Mendenhall?). Dwyer is a lot like Brandon Jacobs in that when he gets a full head of steam he is hard to stop and picks up big gains. Unfortunately, he isn't a consistent chain mover so if the big play isn't there he looks pedestrian at best.

Because he is one piece of a RB puzzle with no clear answer anytime soon. Besides Dwyer, Mendenhall seems to be back earlier than expected (at least not on the regular season PUP list as was thought to be the outcome), Redman is still in the mix, and there's also Rainey to consider. Add in the perception by some that the Steelers could be more of a passing team, and you have a pie that could be split 4 ways or a situation where there is no clear cut primary back at the moment or in the foreseeable future.

Dwyer is not exactly proven . . . he had one 76-yard run, but other than that in his career he's had 24 carries for 75 yards. And he's caught 1 pass. Maybe they will use him more, and maybe you are on to something. But for now, the PIT running back situation appears to be as clear as mud.

Dwyer doesn't have the "burst" of a top talent. I view both him and Redman as bridges to another replacement (healthy Mendenhall?). Dwyer is a lot like Brandon Jacobs in that when he gets a full head of steam he is hard to stop and picks up big gains. Unfortunately, he isn't a consistent chain mover so if the big play isn't there he looks pedestrian at best.
While I agree burst is extremely important, I find that in Pitt's scheme it takes a backseat. I mean Bettis made a living on slow wheels, why can't this guy?

I picked up Dwyer very late in the draft as a 'wait and see' guy. My brother in law is a big GT fan and believes Dwyer finally has his head on straight and is taking the NFL seriously. He was a very good RB in college and the biggest problem IMO is that he didn't treat the NFL like a job. We'll see...

While I agree burst is extremely important, I find that in Pitt's scheme it takes a backseat. I mean Bettis made a living on slow wheels, why can't this guy?
Bettis is a candidate for the HOF so he was more than just slow. Dwyer is probably worth a punt but there's a lot of bodies hanging around and I don't even think the Steelers know what their plan is.

Bettis WAS a consistent chain mover. If Dwyer can't do that, then he "can't make a living on slow wheels."

I am picking up Dwyer in every league I'm in in the last round.

Dwyer was once considered a first round talent. He had a horrible combine and had generally shown up in years past out of shape. This year, he showed up in shape and every report I've read is that he's had his head on straight.

He has a huge opportunity here. Mendenhall is coming off an ACL tear and Redman, IMO is a lesser talent and is fighting through three different injuries.

Dwyer has an opportunity to get a lot of touches and you can get him for nothing. Buy buy buy.

Dwyer is nothing like Brandon Jacobs, HTH

One huge positive for Dwyer is that he will be a RFA next year while Mendenhall will be a UFA. Redman will be an a 28 year old RFA. Unless Mendenhall is clearly better, there probably won't be a reason to pay him more money than either Dwyer or Redman. When it comes time for new contracts, with all else being nearly equal, a 23 year old Dwyer has to look better than a 28 year old Redman.

Love him...actually all the Pittsburgh backs are value plays at this point.

My favorite combo is Dwyer/Mendenhall. Redman is the least talented based on the eyeball test IMHO but is on the radar mostly because he's penciled in as the week 1 start IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love him...actually all the Pittsburgh backs are value plays at this point.

My favorite combo is Dwyer/Mendenhall. Redman is the least talented based on the eyeball test IMHO.
Dont let yinzer nation hear you say that!!I agree though, they are all values right now. Redman is going in the same range as Stewart, Hillis, Helu, Ingram. Those guys are all in more of a RBBC than Redman, at least for the first 1/3 of the season.

His potential is tempting but you can't roster everybody. I'm more likely to lean Powell, but I won't be surprised if Dwyer does well.

Cut & Paste... (cbssports.com)

Dwyer helps in passing game: Pittsburgh running back Jonathan Dwyer finished with 49 total yards from scrimmage during the Steelers' 38-7 preseason win over Buffalo on Saturday night. Dwyer was more effective in the passing game as he finished second on the team behind Antonio Brown (seven catches for 108 yards) with 48 yards on three receptions. He produced a meager one yard on five carries as he netted a positive gain on only two rushing attempts.

(Updated 08/26/2012)

Injury Report

No information available at this time (Updated 8/29/12).

Fantasy Analysis

With Isaac Redman still dealing with an injury, Dwyer continues to assist the Steelers offense as he enters his third NFL season. However, the sturdy 23-year-old back struggled to find his footing against the Bills' stout defensive line and was unable to top 40 rushing yards for the first time during the postseason. After averaging just 12 carries in his first two seasons, Dwyer is expected to receive receive additional touches this year and could be worth a late-round selection in deeper Fantasy formats as Redman's backup.

(Updated 08/26/2012).

I think there is a solid potential there for someone to emerge as the lead back, but I'm not sure what that is going to get you. As of now, I'm not sold on the PIT O-line and think they might have a difficult time running the ball on a consistent basis. Add to this that I believe Mike Wallace will be inconsistent in the first half of the year and I think Pittsburgh is going to have a tough time sustaining drives early on. This will result in relying more heavily on the passing game.

I'm thinking it might be better to not guess now and then make a trade in the middle of the year instead.

My favorite combo is Dwyer/Mendenhall.
If I played redraft I'd own these two in every league. As it is I wish I owned Dwyer in the dynasty leagues where I have Mendenhall.Could end up being a 3-way cluster for the whole year, but I don't think Redman is very good so there's a pretty good chance (at least relative to the cost) that one of Mendenhall or Dwyer is startable over the second half of the year.

Could end up being a 3-way cluster for the whole year, but I don't think Redman is very good so there's a pretty good chance (at least relative to the cost) that one of Mendenhall or Dwyer is startable over the second half of the year.
Pitt rarely goest committee.I really think this is a huge value play, particularly in leagues with deep rosters.

Dwyer is nothing like Brandon Jacobs, HTH
No kidding. He made a sweet 33 yard grab down the sidelines the other day. Thought it was a WR. He also looks to have good burst to me.

Mendenhall was activated off PUP as a contingency. Redman's banged up, probably will be all year, Rainey is a role player, so all that's left is Dwyer. If Dwyer sucks or gets hurt the Steelers want the option to go to Mendenhall before week 6. Betting on a guy with fat, lazy, and weed problems and having no contingency plan isn't a good bet. Ideally, Dwyer plays well and they can take it slow with Mendenhall. Will Dwyer keep the job? Who knows, he could though, has the skills. I took a flier on him in a dyno, but have looked elsewhere in redraft. He's on my late draft list but behind Ryan Williams, LeShoure, Jennings, and Quizz. Those are the guys I ended up with on my benches. David Wilson too, but I have Bradshaw in that league.

Mendenhall was activated off PUP as a contingency. Redman's banged up, probably will be all year, Rainey is a role player, so all that's left is Dwyer. If Dwyer sucks or gets hurt the Steelers want the option to go to Mendenhall before week 6. Betting on a guy with fat, lazy, and weed problems and having no contingency plan isn't a good bet. Ideally, Dwyer plays well and they can take it slow with Mendenhall. Will Dwyer keep the job? Who knows, he could though, has the skills. I took a flier on him in a dyno, but have looked elsewhere in redraft. He's on my late draft list but behind Ryan Williams, LeShoure, Jennings, and Quizz. Those are the guys I ended up with on my benches. David Wilson too, but I have Bradshaw in that league.
Have no idea who this is, but he isnt a RB on the Steelers roster

My notes say tested positive for weed at the combine, plummeted during the predraft process in large part because he got fat between the end of college and the combine/pro day (weed test too), and he's shown up to camp out of shape each season.It's a trend, but at his current price and skill set I saw in college it's a worthwhile risk. There isn't much of one. Only potential reward.

Dwyer's failed drug test before the combine was for a prescription ADD medication he had already cleared ( http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2010/04/18/dwyers-failed-drug-test-a-result-of-approved-prescription-medication/ ).

His issues, even dating back to his time at GT, have always revolved around his weight. He was very explosive early in his career at GT, but steadily lost some quickness as he packed on pounds during his career - culminating in his disastrous combine

Fully fit, he's a mid-4.5 guy who runs very north south with great pad lean and finishes runs terrifically ... and could be a fantasy stud in a system that pounds the ball on the ground.

Fully fit, he's a mid-4.5 guy who runs very north south with great pad lean and finishes runs terrifically ... and could be a fantasy stud in a system that pounds the ball on the ground.
:thumbup: A fit and determined Dwyer has the ability to be a very effective runner for Pittsburgh. The backfield situation is murky at the moment; however, given the opportunity, I believe Dwyer could really endear himself to the Steelers as a no-nonsense runner who makes good decisions and protects the ball well. As a late-round pick, Dwyer could be a real gem.

Dwyer is a risk but he is likely a free agent in most leagues it is not like any of the other RBs in Pitt have looked unbeatable. If he is fit and motivated there is a small chance he could take that job. Considering the investment, I like the upside.

I like the idea of Dwyer on my draft board. I understand the Pitt regime want to be more balanced this year, but, this will also leave more opportunity for more checkdowns. I'm also selfish and my leagues are based on PPR systems. Dwyer isn't getting a ton of fandomonium and I can get him for a pauper's price. Seeing that the Steeler's backfield has succumb to injury Dwyer has ample time to prove himself worthy.

I know that he hasn't been proclaimed starter though he could very well be given a large sum of the carries. Again, where you will be able to draft Dwyer, you will be able to stash him on your bench for at least 2 weeks to find out how it plays out.

I love the thought of this kid breaking out this year. Wide-open backfield and he is the youngest of the 4 backs.

Took him as the last player drafted in a 12 team 16 roster league. Feel it was extremely good value.

Then, went to my other league draft and took him in the 14th round, still okay value IMO.

My notes say tested positive for weed at the combine, plummeted during the predraft process in large part because he got fat between the end of college and the combine/pro day (weed test too), and he's shown up to camp out of shape each season.It's a trend, but at his current price and skill set I saw in college it's a worthwhile risk. There isn't much of one. Only potential reward.
I take it you havent seen him this preseason, because he is in the best shape he's been as a Steeler (looks much more fit than Redman IMO...and guess who has the nagging injuries thus far), and better shape than I recall him being in his last year as at GT. As someone else said, the drug test was for a med, but he hasnt tested positive for anything for 3 yrs in the NFL anyway. You say those things are a trend, but his condition clearly tells me Dwyer is a different guy this season.

I cant think of the last time Ive drafted a guy at or near the end of my bench, and there is no way I drop him before week 6. I dont buy Mendenhall (who ironically went 10th rd in my draft tonight, I got Dwyer in the 17th) being close to game ready at all. Not putting him on PUP was clearly for emergency. Redman already has minor injuries, but I expect Dwyer to still see his share of touches regardless.

Dwyer has been on the roster for 2 years and barely had a sniff. If he was even close to being talented enough to be a bellcow back in the NFL he would have seen more than 25 touches in 2 years. With Mendenhall possibly back after the week 4 bye, Dwyer may start only 3 games.

And let's not forget that Mendenhall is still only 25 and by the end of his 2nd season, he already had a 1k rushing season under his belt. In his last 3 seasons Mendenhall has averaged 1100+ rushing on 265 carries for 10 TDs and about 200 yards receiving to boot. If Mendenhall is healthy he is the bellcow back and much more talented than Redman or Dwyer.

Dwyer has been on the roster for 2 years and barely had a sniff. If he was even close to being talented enough to be a bellcow back in the NFL he would have seen more than 25 touches in 2 years. With Mendenhall possibly back after the week 4 bye, Dwyer may start only 3 games. And let's not forget that Mendenhall is still only 25 and by the end of his 2nd season, he already had a 1k rushing season under his belt. In his last 3 seasons Mendenhall has averaged 1100+ rushing on 265 carries for 10 TDs and about 200 yards receiving to boot. If Mendenhall is healthy he is the bellcow back and much more talented than Redman or Dwyer.
He's talented enough to be carried on an NFL roster for several years while (apparently) not being very serious about being in the NFL. Those that are picking him up in the last round of the draft or off the waiver wire are hopeful that the light turned on for him. His recent comments and performance seem to indicate he's taking the whole thing a lot more seriously.Hopefully tonight gives us a better picture.

Bettis didn't have elite top end speed but had ridiculous feet and lateral movement. He was the exact opposite of a straight line runner and it allowed him to find those little holes for first downs. And for his size Bettis actually had good speed. The fact that you're comparing Dwyer to a possible Hall of Famer and asking 'If Bettis can do it, why not Dwyer?' is absurd.

I am picking up Dwyer in every league I'm in in the last round.

Dwyer was once considered a first round talent. He had a horrible combine and had generally shown up in years past out of shape. This year, he showed up in shape and every report I've read is that he's had his head on straight.

He has a huge opportunity here. Mendenhall is coming off an ACL tear and Redman, IMO is a lesser talent and is fighting through three different injuries.

Dwyer has an opportunity to get a lot of touches and you can get him for nothing. Buy buy buy.
I agree with the bolded. Redman is banged up and Mendy isn't ready. Dwyer is going get some carries and targets early on and if he makes the most of it he could be a big part of the offense. He is definitely a low risk with a potential high reward so there is no reason not to take a chance on him.

Dwyer has been on the roster for 2 years and barely had a sniff. If he was even close to being talented enough to be a bellcow back in the NFL he would have seen more than 25 touches in 2 years. With Mendenhall possibly back after the week 4 bye, Dwyer may start only 3 games.

And let's not forget that Mendenhall is still only 25 and by the end of his 2nd season, he already had a 1k rushing season under his belt. In his last 3 seasons Mendenhall has averaged 1100+ rushing on 265 carries for 10 TDs and about 200 yards receiving to boot. If Mendenhall is healthy he is the bellcow back and much more talented than Redman or Dwyer.
This guy only had about 60 carries his first 2 years and did ok in his career.

I take it you havent seen him this preseason, because he is in the best shape he's been as a Steeler (looks much more fit than Redman IMO...and guess who has the nagging injuries thus far), and better shape than I recall him being in his last year as at GT.
OTA report, Dwyer showed up out of shape. He did not show up out of shape to training camp, he did last year though. 3rd time he's reported to something out of shape. It's a trend. It may not mean anything this year because he fixed the problem between OTA's and camp (which is why I bought in), but it'd be a mistake to ignore it in the future.

I'm of the opinion that Dwyer is a good buy at this point. I don't have a lot of confidence but he is pretty cheap and I think we will have a good idea this year if he will ever amount to much.

I'm of the opinion that Dwyer is a good buy at this point. I don't have a lot of confidence but he is pretty cheap and I think we will have a good idea this year if he will ever amount to much.
If you are going to buy, now is the time. After tonight the market may shift drastically. And if he screws up you didn't give up much for him.

Well said. I have little confidence in Dwyer's likelihood to maintain the level of dedication necessary to perform as a starter in this league more than short term. However, the opportunity is there for Dwyer to make a run at the starting job early this season, and he could easily outperform his ADP.

As many have said previously, Dwyer is a late round flyer worth taking. In dynasty if I own Mendenhall/Redman, I'd be trying to make a move for Dwyer as well to secure whoever gets the call in Pittsburgh.

He is a good buy, but I'm not sure why Redman is being dismissed so quickly. He's not a burner by any stretch, but he's tough to bring down. I was always impressed by him in preseasons prior and he's put up some decent numbers when given the opportunity. Don't let the fact that he was an undrafted guy from a small school color your judgment. So was James Harrison.

4 games in his career to date have seen Redman get 10 or more carries in the game, that's the entire sample size we have to work with. Here are the results :

17-121-0 / 2-21 rec

10-49-1 / 1-6 rec

15-49-0 / 3-12 rec

19-92-1 / 3-18 rec

Averaged out and extrapolated over 16 games gives us totals of 244-1,244-8 with 36-228 receiving. As noted by the 244 carries, he wouldn't need to be the lone bell cow for 16 weeks to reach these numbers - if we figure 17 carries per game for the first three weeks until Mendenhall gets back (a safe estimate) - he needs only 193 carries for the rest of the season to hit that 244 number - less than 15 carries per game. Unless the running game is totally ineffective, the Steelers are planning on a near 50/50 run/pass split, so there should be around 30 carries a game to go around. Redman wouldn't even need to get half of those to get to 244 carries.

Bottom line, unless you think Mendenhall or Dwyer is going to take over as the Steelers' RB1 this season (and I doubt it) - the possibility to see Redman gain ~1,500 combined yards and score 6-10 TDs is very good. I think he represents value where he's being drafted right now (went in the 7th in my most recent draft.)

FYI for the young ones here - Jerome Bettis was not slow at all for the majority of his career.
Moreover, Bettis was a consummate professional. A better parallel may be drawn between Dwyer and Bam Morris. Like Morris, Dwyer has great potential but has not shown a dedication to his craft. Remember, however, when Barry Foster went down with an injury, Bam Morris had a fantastic season.

This guy only had about 60 carries his first 2 years and did ok in his career....after he switched teams.
FYP

I'm not sure why Redman is being dismissed so quickly.
He's hurt and there's reason to believe the injuries may effect him all season.
From everything I've read it was just a tweaked ankle and he's going to be the week 1 starter.
Redman has a hip injury that he says will linger all year. He says he can play through the pain all season, but that has to be a concern.
First of all, he said it MIGHT linger, it might not. He also said he had no pain after 3 days of practice leading up to the Bills game last weekend and I've seen no reports of any pain in the hip after seeing 12 carries in the first half of that game. I really am not particularly worried about it.

I'm not sure why Redman is being dismissed so quickly.
He's hurt and there's reason to believe the injuries may effect him all season.
From everything I've read it was just a tweaked ankle and he's going to be the week 1 starter.
Redman has a hip injury that he says will linger all year. He says he can play through the pain all season, but that has to be a concern.
First of all, he said it MIGHT linger, it might not. He also said he had no pain after 3 days of practice leading up to the Bills game last weekend and I've seen no reports of any pain in the hip after seeing 12 carries in the first half of that game. I really am not particularly worried about it.
I think the activation of Medenhall off the PUP despite him not being ready says more about Redman's health than Redman's mouth does. The Steelers want the option of using him before week 6 in case Dwyer can't handle the load because Rainey is a role player and they don't trust Redman's health. If Redman were healthy I think Mendenhall's still on the PUP.

This guy only had about 60 carries his first 2 years and did ok in his career....after he switched teams.
FYP
So for Dwyer, it sounds like you saying we need to add . . . after he switched Offensive Coordinators.

FYP
So for Dwyer, it sounds like you saying we need to add . . . after he switched Offensive Coordinators.
Be my guest. I'll pass for all the reasons that actually make sense. If you think changing OC's is magically going to transform Dwyer into Ahman Green and make Mendenhall disappear - fell free to draft accordingly.Have a great season.

FYP
Be my guest. I'll pass for all the reasons that actually make sense. If you think changing OC's is magically going to transform Dwyer into Ahman Green and make Mendenhall disappear - fell free to draft accordingly.Have a great season.
Why does Mendenhall have to disappear? He has been a serviceable RB but far from spectacular. Even if he comes back healthy if Dwyer (or Redman for that matter) is tearing it up he is easily benched. Mendy is a career 4.1 per carry guys, he is certainly vulnerable.

Users who are viewing this thread