What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is Romeo Crennel Considered Good Now? (1 Viewer)

Islander

Footballguy
I must ask why is Romeo Crennel suddenly considered a good coach while there were serious question marks not a long time ago? I mean, if he's so good as a coach, why did he not start Derek Anderson game #1? Why did he not see right away (early in camp) that Anderson was the starter and that he was much better than Frye? He even thought about flipping a coin to determine who would be the starter for a late preseason game. :pokey:

I believe good coaches know their players. It should have been clear to him that Anderson would give the Browns a much better chance to win than Frye. He did not.

I think Crennel is getting the benefits of Anderson having a good year, but he failed to recognize the talent himself. I guess it's good that he made the switch quickly, but I am scratching my head as to why he did not see this in camp.

Parcells knew last year that Romo would be good, and he thought about starting Romo over Bledsoe before the season even started, while several observers were surprised by this. Parcells saw the potential when others did not. That's what a good coach does.

Thoughts?

It takes time to identify and get rid of bad players. Maybe Romeo thought about starting Anderson over Frye at the beginning of the season, like Parcells in your example. Except Romeo made the decision after 1 game instead of half way through the season.

The Browns really need to hire a mathematician to stand next to Romeo on the sidelines.

Two weeks in a row, he calls for FGs in spots which are BEGGING for a TD. Very curious.

People doubted Belichick years ago too. How's he doing now?
Belichick actually built a very strong team by 1994. He went 11-5 in 1994 and opened 1995 at 3-1 which was when the move to Baltimore was announced and everyone quit trying.

0-2 in year 4. Just how long we are supposed to give someone to build a winner? Butch Davis actually MADE the playoffs once and was on the edge of getting fired at this point in his tenure.

The Browns really need to hire a mathematician to stand next to Romeo on the sidelines.Two weeks in a row, he calls for FGs in spots which are BEGGING for a TD. Very curious.
And both times the announcers (including old-school coach John Madden) agreed with the call.Which would you rather have:1) 4th-and-7 on Pittsburgh's 20-yard-line;or2) 1st-and-10 on their own 20-yard line with 2:30 remaining in the game? (which is the likely result of forcing Pittsburgh to punt)?

I didn't think he was math challenged when he kicked the FG, but I did when he took a TO with 2:42 left. Pitt only had to run one play before the warning either way. Maybe he was psychic and knew Parker would run out of bounds like a fool, but probably not.

The Browns really need to hire a mathematician to stand next to Romeo on the sidelines.Two weeks in a row, he calls for FGs in spots which are BEGGING for a TD. Very curious.
And both times the announcers (including old-school coach John Madden) agreed with the call.Which would you rather have:1) 4th-and-7 on Pittsburgh's 20-yard-line;or2) 1st-and-10 on their own 20-yard line with 2:30 remaining in the game? (which is the likely result of forcing Pittsburgh to punt)?
Those weren't the options available. You cannot assume they'd ever stop the Steelers after you kick the FG. Two options were:1. Go for 4th and 7 on the PIT 20.2. Attempt a FG, then force a stop to get the ball back, then score a TD.

Those weren't the options available. You cannot assume they'd ever stop the Steelers after you kick the FG. Two options were:1. Go for 4th and 7 on the PIT 20.2. Attempt a FG, then force a stop to get the ball back, then score a TD.
Obviously you can't predict when and how the Browns would get the ball back, but "their own 20 with 2:30 remaining" seemed like a safe call considering that there was 3:24 remaining when they kicked the FG.

Another factor to consider is that the weather was terrible and Dawson's chances of making the FG were probably in the 60-70% range.

I think he just had money on the game and wanted to cover the spread, because other than that there is absolutely NO reason to kick the FG there. Idiotic and I love it. Go Steelers! Keep Romeo Cleveland Clowns!

So let's see:

Billick is tabbed the offensive genius....goes to Baltimore and cannot produce one season where the O was even average at best

Marvin Lewis is tabbed the defensive genius.....goes to Cincy and cannot produce one season where the D was even average at best

Romeo Crennel is tabbed the defensive genius.....goes to Browns and cannot produce one season where the D was even average at best

When will this "genius" name tagging stop? It is not the coaches, it is the players stupid. :lmao:

+ Chan Gailey was fired by the Cowboys after two seasons - and made the playoffs both years.

+ Dave Campo was fired by the Cowboys after 3 losing seasons.

+ Tom Coughlin was on the hot seat in year 4 - after back-to-back playoff appearances and the very year he won the super bowl.

+ Wade Phillips was fired by the Bills after 3 years - two of which they went to the playoffs and in none did he have a losing record.

+ Gregg Williams was fired by the Bills after 3 years - all of which were losing seasons.

+ Butch Davis made the playoffs once but resigned before being fired in his 4th year.

+ Dave Shula had a losing record every year and was fired in year 5.

Its really hard to find a head coach that even MADE it to year 4 without ever making the playoffs in their first 3 years. I can't find ANY that weren't on the hot seat if they were struggling. Shula is the only one I can find in recent years to get a 4th year after missing in the first 3, and even he was on the hot seat by then. If Romeo isn't on the hot seat right now, I'd have to wonder if he has nude photos of the owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd reiterate my stance that Crennel is a lousy coach, but Bracie and the gang will just accuse me of Browns bashing if I do, so I'll let last night speak for itself.

I'd reiterate my stance that Crennel is a lousy coach, but Bracie and the gang will just accuse me of Browns bashing if I do, so I'll let last night speak for itself.
Based on last night I agree with you. We may disagree in that I don't think the Browns will stay as bad as they have performed in the first two games.Besides, I think Anderson would be sacrificed before Crennel if this thing spins out.The Browns need to be generating more pass rush for the money they've spent on the oline, and their secondary needs to stop doing a Saints secondary impersonation.Lots of blame on Winslow and Edwards is also due, imo.

Based on last night I agree with you. We may disagree in that I don't think the Browns will stay as bad as they have performed in the first two games.Besides, I think Anderson would be sacrificed before Crennel if this thing spins out.The Browns need to be generating more pass rush for the money they've spent on the oline, and their secondary needs to stop doing a Saints secondary impersonation.Lots of blame on Winslow and Edwards is also due, imo.
I also think Anderson is overrated and said many times that Cleveland would have been better off trading him for a 2nd round pick and turning the team over to Quinn than they were re-signing him. I have a feeling I'm going to be right about both of these things, even though some Browns fans here automatically take anything I say about their team as an attack.

At the end of last season I really did think the Browns were going to start this season off well, but wow....they can't get out of their own way. I will say that while Crennel did make some questionable calls last night, his team did not play well at all.

Why the blame for Winslow? He is the only guy with a strong desire to win in the entire organization.

At the end of last season I really did think the Browns were going to start this season off well, but wow....they can't get out of their own way. I will say that while Crennel did make some questionable calls last night, his team did not play well at all.
The team has not been prepared to compete let alone win. That falls on the HC. I'v said it about a thousand times before that Romeo is a horrible HC.

0-2 in year 4. Just how long we are supposed to give someone to build a winner? Butch Davis actually MADE the playoffs once and was on the edge of getting fired at this point in his tenure.
Dude, the Browns have played DAL and PIT. They only lost by 4 points to PIT. Calm downnn.

You must be reading the National Enquirer because nobody else thinks he's a good coach.

I think he's proven the last 2 games that he can't read the game clock or the scoreboard. He is not a closer and the only good thing I've seen from him is deciding to trade Frye and passing on Quinn and still getting him later in the round.

Otherwise he's average at best.

Irish said:
SeniorVBDStudent said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
Why the blame for Winslow? He is the only guy with a strong desire to win in the entire organization.
Plus, he's a souljah.

Dude, the Browns have played DAL and PIT. They only lost by 4 points to PIT. Calm downnn.
You have to consider the source. BGP has been claiming the sky is falling for years.

Users who are viewing this thread