What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

With the #1 Overall Pick, the Chicago Bears select… (1 Viewer)

You forgot 5 Indy. In fact now that they let Houston beat them, they might be most likely to pay the Price for Bryce
IMO that’s a really solid spot for Stroud.
I would like to see the Colts get Stroud staying put at 5
As a Lions fan, so do I.
I suppose that went over my head......why?
I think Stroud will bust. I don't want the Lions to even have the option at 6.
I’m not sure the Lions are in the qb market.
Quite a few folks are mocking Stroud to the Lions.
Read today that Goff is their guy long term

No time or energy to scroll through 5 pages, but as a Bears fan I will say that I hope they trade back a couple of spots and land Jalen Carter. He is a difference-maker that could be there between 3-5. Let these other QB-needy teams vie for 1.01 and gain some additional draft capital.

How about the Panthers sending 1.09, an early 2nd, 2024 1st, and either Burns or DJ Moore to Chicago?

If I’m the Chicago GM I jump on that. Panthers are desperate for a franchise QB. They’re the furthest back, so I’d think they’ll have to pay this much.

Colts as likely to trade down than up. It's just what they do.
It has been, but how has that worked out? Ballard looked clever when he traded down from 1.03 to 1.06, grabbed Nelson and some 2nd round picks (drafted Braden Smith and Rock Ya-Sin). But that approach was based on not needing a QB, though in hindsight that was clearly short-sighted.

I would think that if Ballard retains his job, he needs to make a splash. Unless he genuinely believes that none of this year's QB prospects are players he wants to rebuild the franchise around, he should do whatever it takes to draft the best player available. Letting the best player come off the board before his pick won't be an excuse.

My opinion (and hope as a Colts fan), Colts trade up to 1.01 and draft CJ Stroud. Arguably the only player that is worth consideration in this year's draft at this level. Young has too many limitations and others (Levis, Richardson etc.) are far too raw.

I would also love it if this resulted in the Texans drafting Young at 1.02.

Last edited:
They'd get more of a haul trading 1.1 vs. trading Justin Fields. People "love" the mystery box dilemma.

"A boats a boat...but a box...a box can be anything! It could even be a boat! You know how long we've wanted one of those."
Interesting. I think I'd prefer Fields to the 1.1 because we have a pretty good idea of what we're getting with Fields.

ETA: Great Family Guy reference!
Yes, we have a pretty good idea of what fields is, but his play doesn’t necessarily match what the coach wants. Young and Stroud probably meet most coaches plans better. I don’t think the 🐻 trade fields anyway.

No time or energy to scroll through 5 pages, but as a Bears fan I will say that I hope they trade back a couple of spots and land Jalen Carter. He is a difference-maker that could be there between 3-5. Let these other QB-needy teams vie for 1.01 and gain some additional draft capital.
It’s a great year to have a top 4 pick. Carter and Anderson are about equal imo.

What are they planning, then? Overpay for another washed 35+ year old vet and draft a guy in the 6th round again? That's REALLY worked out well for them the past few years. It's such a waste of defensive talent if they choose to do that...

What are they planning, then? Overpay for another washed 35+ year old vet and draft a guy in the 6th round again? That's REALLY worked out well for them the past few years. It's such a waste of defensive talent if they choose to do that...
I hope their days of washed up QBs are over.

Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski
Broke: #Bears consider the possibility of drafting a QB with the No. 1 overall pick to replace Justin Fields.
Woke: Chicago acts like it's considering the possibility to drive up value and maximize leverage in a trade-down scenario.
-----------------------
Bears Look Poised to Trade 2023 No. 1 Overall NFL Draft Pick; How Much Would It Cost?
No way they trade down below 4 because they want one of the two defensive players, so unless they are willing to lose out on both Anderson and Carter, they aren't getting 3 1st round picks. However, if they trade down to 9 or 10, or something similar, they could very well get 3 first round picks.

Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski
Broke: #Bears consider the possibility of drafting a QB with the No. 1 overall pick to replace Justin Fields.
Woke: Chicago acts like it's considering the possibility to drive up value and maximize leverage in a trade-down scenario.
-----------------------
Bears Look Poised to Trade 2023 No. 1 Overall NFL Draft Pick; How Much Would It Cost?
No way they trade down below 4 because they want one of the two defensive players, so unless they are willing to lose out on both Anderson and Carter, they aren't getting 3 1st round picks. However, if they trade down to 9 or 10, or something similar, they could very well get 3 first round picks.
The more I think about it, the more willing I’d be to give 3 firsts if I’m the titans or jets.

Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski
-----------------------
The more I think about it, the more willing I’d be to give 3 firsts if I’m the titans or jets.
I don't see the Jets going the rookie QB route again under this regime. I feel pretty certain they're bringing in a veteran like Jimmy G or a trade for Carr.

Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski
-----------------------
I don't see the Jets going the rookie QB route again under this regime. I feel pretty certain they're bringing in a veteran like Jimmy G or a trade for Carr.
Do the Jets have enough cap space to sign Carr or Jimmy G along with other free agents that they might have?

It has been, but how has that worked out? Ballard looked clever when he traded down from 1.03 to 1.06, grabbed Nelson and some 2nd round picks (drafted Braden Smith and Rock Ya-Sin). But that approach was based on not needing a QB, though in hindsight that was clearly short-sighted.

I would think that if Ballard retains his job, he needs to make a splash. Unless he genuinely believes that none of this year's QB prospects are players he wants to rebuild the franchise around, he should do whatever it takes to draft the best player available. Letting the best player come off the board before his pick won't be an excuse.

My opinion (and hope as a Colts fan), Colts trade up to 1.01 and draft CJ Stroud. Arguably the only player that is worth consideration in this year's draft at this level. Young has too many limitations and others (Levis, Richardson etc.) are far too raw.

I would also love it if this resulted in the Texans drafting Young at 1.02.
As a Colts fan, I hope we get CJ Stroud based on my limited knowledge of the quarterbacks in this draft.

However, unfortunately, I think it's just as likely if not more so that the Colts actually trade down rather then trade up. Chris Ballard has done a good job of picking up very good players in the 2nd round. Unfortunately, he's also been very conservative in free agency since being GM and seems to trade down more often then trade up.

I'm just not sure it's in his nature to make a big splash. The main reason why I could see him trading up is that I think it's less likely he's fired after the 2023-24 season if he's traded up i.e. it buys him one extra year of being GM. I'm guessing there's a lot of pressure from Irsay to find a franchise quarterback.

Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski
-----------------------

With their other young talent, the jets hitting on a QB in this draft puts them in the driver’s seat.
Well, maybe behind Buffalo still but in really good shape.

I hope their days of washed up QBs are over.
Derek Carr looking like a spring chicken these days.

As the hours tick by today and through to Monday the consideration that CJ Stroud hasn't actually declared himself eligible for the 2023 draft will grow.

As the hours tick by today and through to Monday the consideration that CJ Stroud hasn't actually declared himself eligible for the 2023 draft will grow.
If Stroud doesn't declare l think the Bears are in even a better position. They might get two firsts + to just flip picks with the Texans.

Just read that Marvin Harrison had tweeted 😊😉 then deleted it. We live in a world where that could be “My QB is staying” or “this girl looked at me” or any other thing. 🤷

f Stroud doesn't declare l think the Bears are in even a better position. They might get two firsts + to just flip picks with the Texans.
I don’t think there’s much of a question that he’s going to declare.

He’s either the 1st or 2nd QB off the board this year. All he can do is hurt his draft stock by waiting a year.

That said, we’ll know by the 16th.

Last edited:
f Stroud doesn't declare l think the Bears are in even a better position. They might get two firsts + to just flip picks with the Texans.
I don’t think there’s much of a question that he’s going to declare.

He’s either the 1st or 2nd QB off the board this year. All he can do is hurt his draft stock by waiting a year.

That said, we’ll know by the 19th.
*16th

And I agree, I’d be astonished if he stayed in school. His performance against Georgia cemented him as a top 5 pick.

Would love to see a trade down with Houston, then again with Indy or even Carolina to get a massive haul.
Would like Anderson but don't think they'll take him when they can collect a ton of draft capital. Especially after watching Poles last year wheel and deal to turn 6 picks into 11.

Bears have all the cap space in the world, but they are likely looking at 10+ new starters next year, and that isn't counting guys taking over jobs like Khalil Herbert.

I think staying at #1 would be the worst decision they could make. Unless they decided to deal Fields, which seems incredibly unlikely, as he's probably the best QB they've had in 30+ years.

Currently the picks of teams I could see trading for #1:
Texans(2), Seattle(3), Detroit(6), Vegas(7), Falcons(8), Panthers(9), Titans(11)

Panthers seem like a team that is drafting a QB for sure. I could see Seattle and Detroit staying put, but I think they both know their QBs are just ok, and not elite. Both guys are looking at 30+ million as well.

I'm getting the impression I'm a lot higher on Bryce Young than others. I see a cross between Wilson/Brees.
The only teams the Bears want to trade with are the Colts or Texans, because otherwise they won’t get who they want and that is either Anderson or Carter. Trading further down they will lose out on both.

Supply
Young
Stroud
Levis
Carr
Jimmy
Wentz

Demand
Texans - don't need a veteran but need a franchise QB
Colts- need a franchise qb and can't really settle for another washed up veteran
Falcons - have money and an early first
Raiders - have an empty locker ready for Jimmy g that says carr on it
Panthers - could go young or old but can they really go back to darnold?
Jets - one more year of Wilson could kill all of their momentum
Titans - preparing for life after Henry and life are Tannehill. Once more into the breech?
Commanders - I know that I know who they drafted. I think it's Howell? Without looking it up I'm not totally sure. Anyways they've already said they're building around him.

Demand >>> supply

Unless the NFL hates this year's class as much as they hated last year's- and gms are willing to bet their careers on it - somebody will overpay to move up.

Supply
Young
Stroud
Levis
Carr
Jimmy
Wentz

Demand
Colts- need a franchise qb and can't really settle for another washed up veteran
Titans - preparing for life after Henry and life are Tannehill. Once more into the breech?
Commanders - I know that I know who they drafted. I think it's Howell? Without looking it up I'm not totally sure. Anyways they've already said they're building around him.

Demand >>> supply

Unless the NFL hates this year's class as much as they hated last year's- and gms are willing to bet their careers on it - somebody will overpay to move up.
And that’s generous calling Jimmy and wentz supply. Although maybe between those 2 and maybe Rodgers and maaaaaaybe Brady you have 2 total

Supply
Young
Stroud
Levis
Carr
Jimmy
Wentz

Demand

Demand >>> supply

Right now I see the Colts as the clear favorite to trade with Chicago. They seem ready and willing to do what it takes to get their guy, whoever that might be.
I'd love to see the Houston trade, than drop back again to Indy to load up on picks/players, but I'm not sure that will be feasible. I think Indy already knows who they want and Houston might kill any trade if they take who Indy wants.

Bears have all the cap space in the world, but they are likely looking at 10+ new starters next year, and that isn't counting guys taking over jobs like Khalil Herbert.

I think staying at #1 would be the worst decision they could make. Unless they decided to deal Fields, which seems incredibly unlikely, as he's probably the best QB they've had in 30+ years.

Texans(2), Seattle(3), Detroit(6), Vegas(7), Falcons(8), Panthers(9), Titans(11)

Panthers seem like a team that is drafting a QB for sure. I could see Seattle and Detroit staying put, but I think they both know their QBs are just ok, and not elite. Both guys are looking at 30+ million as well.

I'm getting the impression I'm a lot higher on Bryce Young than others. I see a cross between Wilson/Brees.
The only teams the Bears want to trade with are the Colts or Texans, because otherwise they won’t get who they want and that is either Anderson or Carter. Trading further down they will lose out on both.
I don't think Carter or especially Anderson are must haves if the Bears trade down. The overall amount of picks has to be higher if they go lower than 4, but I don't think they have to stay in the top-4.

Somewhat hot take: I'm not sure Will Anderson is even the 1st edge rusher off the board. I could see teams being really nervous about him being 240 pounds.

I don't think Carter or especially Anderson are must haves if the Bears trade down. The overall amount of picks has to be higher if they go lower than 4, but I don't think they have to stay in the top-4.

Somewhat hot take: I'm not sure Will Anderson is even the 1st edge rusher off the board. I could see teams being really nervous about him being 240 pounds.
I think they are to the Bears.

Users who are viewing this thread