What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

World War Z (1 Viewer)

whats with the zombies climbing on each other ? The scenes coming down the stairs & over the falling truck look weird
Basically, it's dreck -- like somebody said above, it's a zombie movie for people with ADHD. I'd love to be proved wrong, but that's what the trailer is advertising.
Come on now, I'm not a fan of the direction they went with this either. But for what it is (something completely different) I like it.I like idea of there being so many zombies that our collective militaries struggle, climbing over each other to get at humanity.

whats with the zombies climbing on each other ? The scenes coming down the stairs & over the falling truck look weird
Basically, it's dreck -- like somebody said above, it's a zombie movie for people with ADHD. I'd love to be proved wrong, but that's what the trailer is advertising.
Come on now, I'm not a fan of the direction they went with this either. But for what it is (something completely different) I like it.I like idea of there being so many zombies that our collective militaries struggle, climbing over each other to get at humanity.
This looks like it might be fun. But why take the WWZ title if you're not going to take the WWZ story? You telling me audiences wouldn't be interested in some generic named Brad Pitt zombie movie?

This looks like it might be fun. But why take the WWZ title if you're not going to take the WWZ story? You telling me audiences wouldn't be interested in some generic named Brad Pitt zombie movie?
Brooks wanted to make a zombie movie, name it after his book to also sell more books.

Again, see, e.g., I, Robot.

I refuse to watch this on principle alone. Everything that made the book unique has basically been tossed aside. I hope they don't mess up The Passage trilogy when they make films / shows out of them.
I will go see it because I love zombie movies and support them in theaters whenever I get the chance. Yeah it looks nothing like the book and maybe we are all wrong but I'm going to give it a chance.

I refuse to watch this on principle alone. Everything that made the book unique has basically been tossed aside. I hope they don't mess up The Passage trilogy when they make films / shows out of them.
:goodposting: I feel the same way about I Am Legend.
What an absolute 100% total waste of a movie. It had so many unbelievable ways it could go and of course they choose the Hollywoodation of it. The book is amazing.

What an absolute 100% total waste of a movie. It had so many unbelievable ways it could go and of course they choose the Hollywoodation of it. The book is amazing.
Yeah...I thought that after the success of The Lord of the Rings movies; movies that were faithful to the subject matter, there wouldn't be any need for nothing more than slight Hollywood tweaks to good books.

I really liked the movie but have never read the book (didn't know there was one until about 5 minutes ago). Question, will seeing the movie 500 times ruin the book for me since I already have a concept in my head or is it completely different like this WWZ?

To be fair, the zombie piles are actually something Max Brooks talked about in one of the books, can't remember if its in WWZ or ZSG. Granted it was always "slow" zombies, but he did make the point that if a zombie horde is large enough they would eventually overcome an obstacle like a wall because the group would continually push forward, trampling the ones in front down and piling over them. So that part does have roots in Max Brooks "canon".

To be fair, the zombie piles are actually something Max Brooks talked about in one of the books, can't remember if its in WWZ or ZSG. Granted it was always "slow" zombies, but he did make the point that if a zombie horde is large enough they would eventually overcome an obstacle like a wall because the group would continually push forward, trampling the ones in front down and piling over them. So that part does have roots in Max Brooks "canon".
It was in WWZ at the Battle of Hope New Mexico

The Passage itself would be a trilogy of LoTR proportions. No way each of the three (third not released) could be just one movie for each book.
I think The Passage might benefit from a mini series / TV show format a la Walking Dead.

It was in WWZ at the Battle of Hope New Mexico
Awesome, thanks. I read the books years ago but that detail always stuck with me and I was pretty geeked to see it play out in the trailer. Granted, with the fast zombies the way it is portrayed on screen looks a bit comic-bookey, but it's something we have never really seen done in a zombie movie before. Sure, zombies have pushed over a fence or knocked down a door, but the idea of so many zombies piling over themselves like that is pretty sweet to see. The one thing I'm hoping to see from WWZ is a zombie infection on a scale never shown on screen before. Zombie movies always talk about world-wide infection but then limit the viewer to following a group of survivors baracaded in a house or mall. I want to finally see what thousands or millions of zombies can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
found this infohttp://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/08/brad-pitt-world-war-z-photo/

Visual effects supervisor John Nelson (Iron Man) said World War Z’s zombies lean more toward sci-fi transformation victims rather than supernatural resurrection subjects. That led to a lot of research into animal behavior, especially for creatures under the amok-time sway of predator appetite or spawning urge.“They are like predatory animals that can’t control themselves,” Nelson said. “I worked with tigers [while shooting Gladiator], and if you watch them when a horse goes by they go batty, even if they know they can’t reach it. When Zs see humans they do same thing, they activate. They launch themselves.”He went on to add: “There are a lot of things in nature we’re mining as references. They move like birds or school of fish, too, in reactive formations, and it’s not because they have a higher level of [shared] thinking or communication – it’s about their nature and the fact that their instinct to infect is so basic, efficient, and overpowering. They will go through anything. If they lose both legs, they will walk on their hands. They lock in and they’re like salmon going upstream or sperm swimming to be the first to egg.”Unlike most fresh-water fish or spermatozoa, the zombies in the movie are resourceful when it comes to helicopter attacks. At one point in the film, a surging crowd of Zs climb up and over each other to create a writhing, wobbling column of infected flesh. “Everyone has seen everything in this genre,” Nelson said. “So of course we looked to try to find something new. And we have some.”

I dont remember any zombie tidal waves in the book.

It wasn't a tidal wave, but the big military battle in the desert that turned the tide ended up with a wall of dead zombies tens of feet high, with the last ones climbing over the whole pile.

It wasn't a tidal wave, but the big military battle in the desert that turned the tide ended up with a wall of dead zombies tens of feet high, with the last ones climbing over the whole pile.
Right but in the trailer there was clip of zombies (if they are even that in this movie) moving down steps like a swarm of nanobots.

Just what we needed. Another zombie movie.
What made World War Z good was that it was a historical/journalistic account in varied times/locations. This looks like I Am Legend 2, Electric Boogaloo.
:goodposting:eta: doubt I'll see it in the theater unless the reviews are smoking. Ever since I invested in a home theater, the prospect of paying $15 to see a crappy action movie just because it's big and loud has nearly evaporated. Just wait for cable or PPV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of people in here are saying the book is too expansive for a single film. The one I found on Amazon is 342 pages, that doesn't seem too ambitious for a single film is there an unabridged version?
It's not the length, it's the format. The book is a fictional government report chronicling first hand accounts from around the world. There is no core group of characters throughout the book.

Lots of people in here are saying the book is too expansive for a single film. The one I found on Amazon is 342 pages, that doesn't seem too ambitious for a single film is there an unabridged version?
It's not the length, it's the format. The book is a fictional government report chronicling first hand accounts from around the world. There is no core group of characters throughout the book.
Yes essentially ever chapter is a story unto itself all revolving around the zombie hordes.

Yes essentially ever chapter is a story unto itself all revolving around the zombie hordes.
Interesting.. maybe this is just the first of many to be made off the Book.. :popcorn:

most unrealistic thing about the movie looks like the girl playing brad pitts wife
She definitely overshot her coverage but we don't even blink when a doofus has a hot chick in a movie. I'm actually interested to see her in something other than The Killing. Granted, this won't be getting any acting Oscars (or any, unless it's got good sound editing or something), but I'm still curious.

Why World War Z scares me -- and not in the good way

Posted By Daniel W. Drezner Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 6:04 PM

We might live in an era of globalization, but its is nevertheless true that travel abroad leads to some odd news gaps when one returns. Last year I took a transatlantic flight and while I was incommunicado, Hosni Mubarak stepped down as the President of Egypt. During yesterday's trip, David Petraeus resigned after... after.... well, insert your own pun involving Petraeus and Paula Broadwell here, but only if you think you can top the New York Post.

Still, I think the biggest shock I encountered upon my return was the new trailer for World War Z, starring Brad Pitt and based on the best zombie novel ever written (by Max Brooks).

I once asked Max -- yeah, I know him, I get to call him Max, just f***ing deal with it -- how he was handling the movie version of his book, and he told me that his strategy was to simply sign over the rights and then not pay an iota of attention to what happened. Once it became clear that the producers weren't interested in his input, he figured that it was the only way to stay sane.

After watching the trailer, I think his strategy is sound, because it looks like what they're doing to World War Z is a travesty:

(trailer is here in the original article)

Now, let me preface my reaction to this trailer with the following caveats:

1) All movies that are inspired by books will deviate from their source material. That doesn't make the films bad (see my review of Argo, for example).

2) This is a trailer, and very often trailers are designed to misdirect your perceptions of how the film will play out. So maybe the movie will play out differently.

3) Even this trailer has hints of the book I love -- there are hints of the global canvas that made the book so great.

All that said, this looks pretty bad.

First off, there's the fast CGI zombies. One of the great pleasures of World War Z the novel was the way in which the degree of threat slowly creeped up, just like the walkers that Brooks used for his zombies. Switching to the 28 Days Later style of ghouls changes the nature of the threat in ways that undercut one of the central pleasures of Brooks' novel. The trailer looks like a globalized version of 28 Days Later. Which would be OK if the zombies in the movie version of World War Z were as scary as that movie's Infected. Which they ain't. You know a movie's Big Bad is in trouble when the Dark Seekers from I Am Legend look positively life-like.

Second, the trailer and the casting make it seem pretty clear that the movie is about how former government badass Brad Pitt reluctantly decides to leave his family for a spell to save the world. Which is pretty much the total friggin' opposite of what happens in the book.

Again, one of the pleasures of World War Z was the almost-pointillist way that Brooks told dozens of small stories about what happened across the world -- and how the sum of myriad small actions paved the way to victory. Indeed, the closest thing to a strategic savior in the book is a despised Afrikaaner who modified a decades-old plan to preserve the apartheid government into a ruthless strategy to retrench and then defeat the undead hordes. Brad Pitt ain't that guy. So instead this looks like your standard reluctant-hero-saves-the-day narrative.

Finally, over 90% of the trailer looks at the U.S. Again, the best thing about the book was how it started with a global perspective and how it managed to keep a global perspective (as opposed to, say, Contagion).

In the course of writing Theories of International Politics and Zombies, my admiration for what Brooks pulled off in his book only grew with time. I hope I'm wrong about how the movie version of World War Z turns out. At this point, however, I have more optimism about Star Wars Episode VII than this bastardization of Max Brooks' magnum opus.

Am I missing anything?

found this info

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/08/brad-pitt-world-war-z-photo/

Visual effects supervisor John Nelson (Iron Man) said World War Z’s zombies lean more toward sci-fi transformation victims rather than supernatural resurrection subjects. That led to a lot of research into animal behavior, especially for creatures under the amok-time sway of predator appetite or spawning urge.

They are like predatory animals that can’t control themselves,” Nelson said. “I worked with tigers [while shooting Gladiator], and if you watch them when a horse goes by they go batty, even if they know they can’t reach it. When Zs see humans they do same thing, they activate. They launch themselves.”

He went on to add: “There are a lot of things in nature we’re mining as references. They move like birds or school of fish, too, in reactive formations, and it’s not because they have a higher level of [shared] thinking or communication – it’s about their nature and the fact that their instinct to infect is so basic, efficient, and overpowering. They will go through anything. If they lose both legs, they will walk on their hands. They lock in and they’re like salmon going upstream or sperm swimming to be the first to egg.”

Unlike most fresh-water fish or spermatozoa, the zombies in the movie are resourceful when it comes to helicopter attacks. At one point in the film, a surging crowd of Zs climb up and over each other to create a writhing, wobbling column of infected flesh. “Everyone has seen everything in this genre,” Nelson said. “So of course we looked to try to find something new. And we have some.”
Sounds like the graphic novel Crossed, reader discretion is advised - its very graphic.

I think the global scope and social, political commentary should make the movie worth seeing.
You really think there is gonna be a lot of social or political commentary in this movie?
:shrug: The trailer could be to just get the A.D.D. people :excited: about the movie.. As we get closer to the actual release date there will be more trailers and those may show more than just action. Then again, they could be just going for the "2012" crowd knowing what kind of $$$ the :popcorn: movies bring in.

I shouldn't be so let down by this movie trailer for a great book, but still am. That looks like the suck. :thumbdown:

found this infohttp://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/08/brad-pitt-world-war-z-photo/

Visual effects supervisor John Nelson (Iron Man) said World War Z’s zombies lean more toward sci-fi transformation victims rather than supernatural resurrection subjects. That led to a lot of research into animal behavior, especially for creatures under the amok-time sway of predator appetite or spawning urge.“They are like predatory animals that can’t control themselves,” Nelson said. “I worked with tigers [while shooting Gladiator], and if you watch them when a horse goes by they go batty, even if they know they can’t reach it. When Zs see humans they do same thing, they activate. They launch themselves.”He went on to add: “There are a lot of things in nature we’re mining as references. They move like birds or school of fish, too, in reactive formations, and it’s not because they have a higher level of [shared] thinking or communication – it’s about their nature and the fact that their instinct to infect is so basic, efficient, and overpowering. They will go through anything. If they lose both legs, they will walk on their hands. They lock in and they’re like salmon going upstream or sperm swimming to be the first to egg.”Unlike most fresh-water fish or spermatozoa, the zombies in the movie are resourceful when it comes to helicopter attacks. At one point in the film, a surging crowd of Zs climb up and over each other to create a writhing, wobbling column of infected flesh. “Everyone has seen everything in this genre,” Nelson said. “So of course we looked to try to find something new. And we have some.”
"Let's try to make it more 'real'"....turned Godzilla into this bastardized US version.At least when Toho got back to making Godzilla movies, they

I think the global scope and social, political commentary should make the movie worth seeing.
Watching that trailer for the first time with the terrible looking CGI zombie hoards and this being a summer release - I am going to bet they didn't care much about social and political commentary. Was excited (at least interested) about seeing what they could do with that book, but now I am thinking this is a pass altogether or at least waiting to watch it for free.

Users who are viewing this thread