What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Puka Nacua LAR (2 Viewers)

I like the kid a lot but over 50% of your budget?? There will be other players you want on waivers.

I talked myself up to bidding $27 of my $100. While he seems great, he can easily end up being a WR3\4\Flex kinda guy, which is helpful but not league winning helpful. I just can't do 50%+ like some of you are.
I got him at $27 FYI.

The league is over a decade old but this is the first year we did FAAB, so it might be an outlier to some extent.

Puka could struggle with more attention. He is NOT Cooper Kupp.

That said, getting a lot of targets is half the battle so you can definitely make a case for him, especially with Kupp out.

Good discussion as this is helpful.

For you folks bidding on him, please let us know what you paid by % of total budget you started with for FAAB. And whether it's redraft or dynasty.

I've bid $29 out of $100 for him today in redraft. Feels like a lot but I do have Kupp.

This is a good example of how this forum can be helpful.
Redraft or dynasty? :D

Sorry. Redraft.

My keeper league.

Puka went for $59. (Other bids were 41, 36, 33, 27, 10)
Jordan Love went for $50 (Guy lost Aaron Rodgers) (For reference no one has ever spent more than $10 on a QB, this was weird especially cause it's Jordan Love??? )
Joshua Kelley went for $41 (Other bids were 33, 24, 12, 10)
Kyren Williams $33 (Other bids were 28, 22, 21)
Gus Edwards $12
Justice Hill $12
Rasheed Shaheed $10
Matthew Stafford $5 (Same guy got him who lost Rodgers) This was a smart move IMO

Any players picked up off of waiver wires can be kept next year for $10 (RB/WR/TE) or ($5 for QB) in our auction league

Last edited:
I just watched the highlights. Like four slants and the others were free releases where he sat down in zones. He had that one nice catch.

I'm not in on this guy. Only in fantasy does this guy seem really relevant. Tutu Atwell had a monster day, too. I'm not buying that.

Nacua's athletic testing is so subpar that you'd win a golf tournament with how below par it is.

Watch me be totally wrong. McVay sure will force feed a guy and make him relevant, so there's also that.
I remember nearly identical comments about Anquan Boldin after his week 1.

Not all players do well on the athletic testing stuff, but that doesn't always mean they won't ball out in the league.

For you folks bidding on him, please let us know what you paid by % of total budget you started with for FAAB. And whether it's redraft or dynasty.

I've bid $29 out of $100 for him today in redraft. Feels like a lot but I do have Kupp.

Sorry. Redraft.

In my league Puka went for $59. It's a keeper league.

Joshua Kelley went for $41

Jordan Love went for $50 (Guy lost Aaron Rodgers) (For reference no one has ever spent more than $10 on a QB, this was weird especially cause it's Jordan Love??? )

Any players picked up off of waiver wires can be kept next year for $10 (RB/WR/TE) or ($5 for QB) in our auction league

What is the total budget for free agents to start the year?

Sorry. Redraft.

$100 FAAB

Very competitive league (12 team, 16 roster spots, 2 IR Spots)

QB
RB/RB
WR/WR
Flex/Flex
TE
DEF

Sorry. Redraft.

$100 FAAB

Very competitive league

Wow. 59% is a lot but that's a good data point to know. Thanks.

Sorry. Redraft.

$100 FAAB

Very competitive league

Wow. 59% is a lot but that's a good data point to know. Thanks.
Yea I think the Keeper aspect pumps up the price a little. Any "undrafted" waiver wire gem can be kept for $10 next year, and not to mention the trading is more complex because of potential keepers

Like I have Jonathan Taylor at $15 (Great keeper for next year at $25, and great trade material potential)

Last edited:
This seems exploitable. If you have the most faab in the league at the end of the year you could just drop mahomes and pick him back up off waivers for a 5 dollar keeper. Do you at least allow faab money to be traded? Or have any other guard rails?

This seems exploitable. If you have the most faab in the league at the end of the year you could just drop mahomes and pick him back up off waivers for a 5 dollar keeper. Do you at least allow faab money to be traded? Or have any other guard rails?
Not the OP, but in my auction league, the rule is that the keeper value is based on the player's highest price of the year. So if you draft Mahomes for $60, cut him, and reacquire him for $5, his keeper price is based on the $60.

That is only for "Undrafted" players

Mahomes was drafted for $35. He can be kept next year for $40 but probably won't be

This thread inspired me to spend big in my PPR redraft league!

Got Puka with $53 spent of my $100 season allotment. Second highest team only bid $26, but I have no regrets.

Also got Kyren Williams in the same league for $32 (beating a second highest bid of $15).

I’m broke and down to $2 FAAB bucks to my name in week 2, but excited I got all of my guys. My league is silly if they thought they were going to win those big gets with cheap bids.

Last edited:
I got him at 34% of budget last night in a redraft. The waivers are a waste land with the only other player to note was Justice Hill going for 23%. Bourne got picked up too for 7%.

Kyren Williams, Edwards, Roschon, and any other "hot" pickup for the week were already drafted and not available to bid on after week 1.

I just watched the highlights. Like four slants and the others were free releases where he sat down in zones. He had that one nice catch.

I'm not in on this guy. Only in fantasy does this guy seem really relevant. Tutu Atwell had a monster day, too. I'm not buying that.

Nacua's athletic testing is so subpar that you'd win a golf tournament with how below par it is.

Watch me be totally wrong. McVay sure will force feed a guy and make him relevant, so there's also that.

Not all players do well on the athletic testing stuff, but that doesn't always mean they won't ball out in the league.
Looked up Boldin's combine scores and he is a great comp. Really similar.

Anquan Boldin (combine):
Height: 72.6 inches
Weight: 216
BMI: 29.51
Arm Length: 30 inches
Hand Size: 9.88 inches
40 yard dash: 4.73 seconds
40 yard MPH: 17.3 MPH
20 yard split: 2.73 seconds
10 yard spilt: 1.63 seconds
Vertical Leap: 33.5
20 yard shuttle: 4.25 seconds
Three Cone: 7.35 seconds

Puka Nacua (pro day):
Height: 73.63 inches
Weight: 210
BMI: 27.89
Arm Length: 31.5 inches
Hand Size: 9.5 inches
40 yard dash: 4.57 seconds
40 yard MPH: 17.9 MPH
20 yard split: 2.64 seconds
10 yard spilt: 1.62 seconds
Vertical Leap: 33.0
20 yard shuttle: 4.36 seconds
Three Cone: 7.32 seconds

This thread inspired me to spend big in my PPR redraft league!

Got Puka with $53 spent of my $100 season allotment. Second highest team only bid $26, but I have no regrets.

Also got Kyren Williams in the same league for $32 (beating a second highest bid of $15).

I’m broke and down to $2 FAAB bucks to my name in week 2, but excited I got all of my guys. My league is silly if they thought they were going to win those big gets with cheap bids.
Good stuff. Got to take some risks to win big

i go him for 15%. It wasn't a serious bid, I just didn't want someone else to get him for 5-10%. If someone paid 20%, I would have been happy to let him go. But, I don't think anyone else in my league bid.

For reference, Gus Edwards went for 20%, Zay Flowers for 15%, Josh Kelly for 10%.

He went for 34% of the FAAB in my main league. There were several bids just below that, 32%, 30%, 25%, etc. I didn't bid for a few reasons. What he did vs a strong Seattle secondary should not be ignored, but in the end I just don't see how anything remotely close to that is sustainable. Tutu also had a great game FWIW. Game script, Seattle's and LA's played a huge role. If Nacua does it again vs the 49ers this weekend, y'all have something special, extremely special. I just don't see it, not after watching all his targets last week but TBH I fault no one for bidding this guy up on one performance. I had considered going 50% just to keep him off another team. I did come away from Sunday extremely impressed with how Stafford was slingin' it, so anything's possible. Nacua was obviously on the same page with Stafford the way he sat in zones and Stafford would throw him open. Both were making great reads. Nacua seems like an extremely intelligent receiver. Could most certainly become that missing piece they've been searching for to play aside Kupp.

If it helps - top 3 Puca bids (dynasty league / blind bids) - $45 / $30 / $20 Other WR for comparison - Rashid Shaheed went for $8 and Rashee Rice went for $0

Looked up Boldin's combine scores and he is a great comp. Really similar.

Anquan Boldin (combine):
Height: 72.6 inches
Weight: 216
BMI: 29.51
Arm Length: 30 inches
Hand Size: 9.88 inches
40 yard dash: 4.73 seconds
40 yard MPH: 17.3 MPH
20 yard split: 2.73 seconds
10 yard spilt: 1.63 seconds
Vertical Leap: 33.5
20 yard shuttle: 4.25 seconds
Three Cone: 7.35 seconds

Puka Nacua (pro day):
Height: 73.63 inches
Weight: 210
BMI: 27.89
Arm Length: 31.5 inches
Hand Size: 9.5 inches
40 yard dash: 4.57 seconds
40 yard MPH: 17.9 MPH
20 yard split: 2.64 seconds
10 yard spilt: 1.62 seconds
Vertical Leap: 33.0
20 yard shuttle: 4.36 seconds
Three Cone: 7.32 seconds
Just when I think I am out - you pull me back in. I had to bid on him as a Kupp owner. He doesn't seem to get the YAC that Cooper Kupp does but based on his measurables compared to Boldin... I'm impressed. I bought a guy with 15 targets. With targets comes opportunity. I landed him with 22% of FAAB and nobody else bid, which surprised me. I am new to the league and they all claim to be a bunch of big money sharks. I guess we will see if this is my stop gap until Kupp is back.

Nacua or Bourne? @Anarchy99
Straight up gotta be Puka by a lot for me
I think this one has to be evaluated on a team-by-team / league type basis. For example, Puka might have more short-term value until Kupp comes back. What people think of Kupp's heath and when he might return comes into play. No doubt 15 targets was a lot, but maybe that caught SEA by surprise. Maybe teams will adjust. Maybe it was just a good match up that week. I'd certainly want to see more of Puka before I dropped someone of value or blew a huge chunk of my FABB budget on him. My fear for Puka is Kupp comes back after 4 games and Puka reverts to being an afterthought in the offense.

As far as Bourne goes, I believe he will be the main WR for NE this year. What that amounts to and how good the NE offense will be is certainly debatable. Every game plan in NE is different, but Bourne played 73 snaps (Boutte subbing for Parker got 55, JJSS 43, and Douglas 33). My fear for Bourne is NE could have weeks where Bourne isn't part of the big picture (or the offense really struggles).

In the here and now (ie the next few weeks), Puka might see more targets (better in PPR leagues) while Bourne might see more TD opportunities (better in 0 PPR leagues). As far as my personal preference, I expected big things from Bourne and drafted him in my leagues, so I doubt I would move on from him in favor of Puka.

But every individual roster is constructed differently. Some people could already have 6 good WR and taking either Bourne of Puka might not make any sense. Similarly, dropping someone with more value for either of these two might not make sense either. But if it came down to having to make a large FAAB bid to be able to get Puka and a tiny bid to get Bourne, I would take Bourne.

In my flex spot: Should I roll my new shiny toy out Puka Nacua or Nico Collins...both are mysteries with possibly being their teams WR1 this week.

Winning bid in my 12-team deep bench league (QB, RB x2, WR x 2, TE, Flex x 2, DST, 7 Bench, 4 IR) was 63%. The rest were (in percentages): 2 in the 40s, 3 in the 20s, 1 in the teens, one single digits.

Other notable winning bids: Zack Moss and Justice Hill both over 30%. Jordan Love and ARob (LOL) both 20+. Bourne for high teens.

I got him for $27 today. Next highest bid was $16. I am the Kupp owner too.

I think Puka is more right time/right place than talent, but those targets (if they keep coming)…
Could be so, but again, Waldman was on this kid as a sleeper in the RSP before anyone.

Clearly his draft stock took a hit with his athleticism, but we all know teams miss the forest for the trees sometimes.

i go him for 15%. It wasn't a serious bid, I just didn't want someone else to get him for 5-10%. If someone paid 20%, I would have been happy to let him go. But, I don't think anyone else in my league bid.

For reference, Gus Edwards went for 20%, Zay Flowers for 15%, Josh Kelly for 10%.
This seems crazy, Flowers for 15 and no bids on Puka?

Yeah me personally I woulda bid more on flowers than Puka if given the chance.

It’s week one. Someone is going to blow 30%+. Happens every year. Not worth it imo. The Rams aren’t a good football team.
They don’t need to be for Puca to be a stud FF WR.

In fact one might argue the opposite.

Yea I am not understanding the "He is not fast" argument. He was targeted 15x and caught 10 of them in his first game as a pro. Numbers don't lie. Also he clearly gets enough seperation even on the deep routes that he ran. Sure he isn't a burner, but he is a great route runner. I love how he is always asking Kupp questions, learning from the best, is a grinder, and has a great attitude. It's no wonder the coaches love him.

Not to mention he almost had 2 TD catches for another 50+ yards. If that ball didn't get tipped on the first one, and Stafford didn't overthrow him on the 2nd.

Would 12 rec 150 yards 2 tds on 15 targets make you think different?

Of all the back and forth the last several pages, this post had me revise my bids to make sure I got Pukachoo in both of my leagues last night. Great info here, and after watching the highlight, I agree... He was inches from having the type of monster debut that would've brought out the 100% bids last night. Twice. Thanks for posting this.

It’s week one. Someone is going to blow 30%+. Happens every year. Not worth it imo. The Rams aren’t a good football team.
They don’t need to be for Puca to be a stud FF WR.

In fact one might argue the opposite.

Yea I am not understanding the "He is not fast" argument. He was targeted 15x and caught 10 of them in his first game as a pro. Numbers don't lie. Also he clearly gets enough seperation even on the deep routes that he ran. Sure he isn't a burner, but he is a great route runner. I love how he is always asking Kupp questions, learning from the best, is a grinder, and has a great attitude. It's no wonder the coaches love him.

Not to mention he almost had 2 TD catches for another 50+ yards. If that ball didn't get tipped on the first one, and Stafford didn't overthrow him on the 2nd.

Would 12 rec 150 yards 2 tds on 15 targets make you think different?

Of all the back and forth the last several pages, this post had me revise my bids to make sure I got Pukachoo in both of my leagues last night. Great info here, and after watching the highlight, I agree... He was inches from having the type of monster debut that would've brought out the 100% bids last night. Twice. Thanks for posting this.
No problem. Hope it works out for us both!

Well, after all the great back and forth on this last night I ended up putting a bid in on him. $18. And landed him.

Sorry. Redraft.

My keeper league.

Puka went for $59.
Kyren Williams $33
Gus Edwards $12
Justice Hill $12
Rasheed Shaheed $10
Matthew Stafford $5 (Same guy got him who lost Rodgers) This was a smart move IMO

These prices are bananas.

Sorry. Redraft.

My keeper league.

Puka went for $59. (Other bids were 41, 36, 33, 27, 10)
Joshua Kelley went for $41 (Other bids were 33, 24, 12, 10)
Kyren Williams $33 (Other bids were 28, 22, 21)
Gus Edwards $12
Justice Hill $12
Rasheed Shaheed $10

These prices are bananas.
Yea again there is very little on the waiver wire (Very Competitive League), and this is a keeper league. So the prices are inflated some because you can keep undrafted players for $10 next year, or undrafted QB's for $5 next year.

But yea the Jordan Love bid makes zero sense at all. I doubt anyone even wanted him lol

Last edited:

Well, after all the great back and forth on this last night I ended up putting a bid in on him. $18. And landed him.

Outstanding!

Users who are viewing this thread