What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Stefon Diggs, HOU (1 Viewer)

Can anyone post Waldan's write up on him from the RSP? I'd love to see what he saw in him then.
got to respect his work and not give it away.

Ranked him #17 WR predraft. Concerns about his ball security and physicality. Praised his quick twitch, hand eye coordination and creativity.

Post draft, didn't really move the needle for Matt. Stated "enough talent to develop into an all around threat". Also warned he would be competing with Wright.

What concerned me having held him in a devy league for a few years was his draft round and the subsequent extension given to Wright (drafted him in the 3rd and 4th round of dynasty rookie drafts after the NFL draft)

Going forward, it would be ball security. I think the injury prone label is not fair, but YMMV

Bridgewater currently has a 64.4 completion percentage which is 16th overall in the NFL right now.

Accuracy as well as pocket presence are generally considered strengths of Teddy Bridgewater.

Two of Bridgewaters interceptions have been near the end zone and he hasn't thrown many TD but he is pretty accurate.

The Vikings run the ball a lot limiting volume in the passing game. The Vikings have also been playing well enough on defense that the offense doesn't need to push the envelope as much.

Would you have used your #1 WW on ODB last year?
Yah man. Rookie WR that went off for two weeks, with nothing scary in front of him (including Wallace). If Davante Parker was out there, and did this, people would be freaking. He's a true sleeper, and maybe a lot of people missed the boat. Go get him.

Bridgewater currently has a 64.4 completion percentage which is 16th overall in the NFL right now.

Accuracy as well as pocket presence are generally considered strengths of Teddy Bridgewater.

Two of Bridgewaters interceptions have been near the end zone and he hasn't thrown many TD but he is pretty accurate.

The Vikings run the ball a lot limiting volume in the passing game. The Vikings have also been playing well enough on defense that the offense doesn't need to push the envelope as much.
He's accurate because he's risk averse. He has a slow release & takes a lot of sacks. Doesn't really bail out & run unless there is an open lane. The Vikings are 32nd in net yards per attempt and 31st in attempts. The volume is limited in this offense.

Love Diggs ability to get separation in the short passing game. That's right in Teddys wheelhouse. His speed is decent but just average for an NFL WR. His other combine numbers are average - he's not a gifted athlete. But he's one of those guys who looks better in pads on game day with the ball in his hands.

Incidentally, that's the same description back in 2011 when he was the #2 WR recruit in the country. His college was a disappointment after his freshman year. He didn't "test well" after he came out. That's why he was a 5th rounder. But when you see him on the field, it's obvious he can lose people in a hurry.

Can anyone post Waldan's write up on him from the RSP? I'd love to see what he saw in him then.
got to respect his work and not give it away.

Ranked him #17 WR predraft. Concerns about his ball security and physicality. Praised his quick twitch, hand eye coordination and creativity.

Post draft, didn't really move the needle for Matt. Stated "enough talent to develop into an all around threat". Also warned he would be competing with Wright.

What concerned me having held him in a devy league for a few years was his draft round and the subsequent extension given to Wright (drafted him in the 3rd and 4th round of dynasty rookie drafts after the NFL draft)

Going forward, it would be ball security. I think the injury prone label is not fair, but YMMV
perfect! Thanks man

BobbyLayne said:
Biabreakable said:

He's accurate because he's risk averse. He has a slow release & takes a lot of sacks. Doesn't really bail out & run unless there is an open lane. The Vikings are 32nd in net yards per attempt and 31st in attempts. The volume is limited in this offense.

Love Diggs ability to get separation in the short passing game. That's right in Teddys wheelhouse. His speed is decent but just average for an NFL WR. His other combine numbers are average - he's not a gifted athlete. But he's one of those guys who looks better in pads on game day with the ball in his hands.

Incidentally, that's the same description back in 2011 when he was the #2 WR recruit in the country. His college was a disappointment after his freshman year. He didn't "test well" after he came out. That's why he was a 5th rounder. But when you see him on the field, it's obvious he can lose people in a hurry.
Yeah as long as the defense can keep playing well and limiting other teams from scoring I would expect the Vikings to keep slow rolling on offense and using up most of the play clock. There are a few times where Teddy will shift to a hurry up mode but I saw more of this last season than I have so far this season.

The Vikings are second only to the Jets in total points given up of 83 which is 16.6 points/game the most they have given up was 23 to Denver. So if the Vikings can continue to hold teams under 20 points the offense doesn't really need to pick up the pace.

I think your observation about Bridgewater having a slow release is an interesting one and something I will look for next time I watch him play.

I do not really follow college football much but even I have known about Diggs since he was a freshman, about as long as I have known about Gurley. Pretty sure my attention to him originated from something I read here in the SP due to Diggs having an outstanding freshman college season.

NFL teams including the Vikings passed on him for 4 rounds of the draft. The Vikings who were familiar with him due to connection with Scott Turner they didn't draft him until they had taken 5 other players, including MyCole Pruitt who reportedly Norv Turner banged the table for. I did not hear much buzz about Diggs directly following the draft but once OTAs started he became one of the most exciting players the Vikings had on the field. The Vikings have a Mr. Mankato every year. Adam Theilen was one and Marcus Sherels was before him. Diggs was that guy this year.

Can't believe people are hesitant to use a #1 claim on him. You play to win, and if you're 2-4 and are waiting for "that guy", you don't pass up this opportunity. Don't wait for an RB to hit out of the blue when you can grab this guy.

Would you cut Hankerson to get Diggs in a PPR? (yeah, yeah, AC forum and all that...)
Or Snead, for that matter? Trying to get a sense of where people think Diggs season-long value nets out to other WRs who have shown flashes.

Downside, aside from Bridgewater's inconsistency, is that the offense runs through the ground, not through the air. Are targets and passing offense yardage as tasty on MIN, as opposed to ATL (or NO, at least at home...)?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/stefon-diggs?id=2552608

WEAKNESSES Most of his production came from slot or as outside receiver in space. Must prove he can win as route runner against quality cornerbacks. Play strength is below par. Gets muscled around by physical defenders. Very aware of oncoming traffic and will stop routes to avoid big hits. Gives moderate effort as a blocker, but rarely ends up getting his man blocked. Had season-ending injuries two years in a row (broken leg and lacerated kidney). Suspended one game for his actions in pregame dustup vs. Penn State.
Interesting to me that his NFL draft profile said he must prove he can win with route running, to me that looks like the best part of his game. Very encouraging that a predraft weakness seems to be a strength just two games into his career.

BobbyLayne said:
Love Diggs ability to get separation in the short passing game. That's right in Teddys wheelhouse. His speed is decent but just average for an NFL WR. His other combine numbers are average - he's not a gifted athlete. But he's one of those guys who looks better in pads on game day with the ball in his hands.Incidentally, that's the same description back in 2011 when he was the #2 WR recruit in the country. His college was a disappointment after his freshman year. He didn't "test well" after he came out. That's why he was a 5th rounder. But when you see him on the field, it's obvious he can lose people in a hurry.
I understand what you're saying as Diggs does not have the kind of measurables or freakish size/athleticism combo of many of the recent stars and prospects at the WR position.

And maybe it's a matter of semantics, but I've been watching Diggs since HS and his athleticism has always stood out on the field. His body control, quickness- especially getting in and out of his breaks, hip fluidity, ability to change direction at full speed, and ability to seperate from people with game speed are all exceptional IMO.

I think he is most certainly a gifted athlete whose abilities stand out, even in a league full of other gifted athletes.

Last edited by a moderator:
BobbyLayne said:
Love Diggs ability to get separation in the short passing game. That's right in Teddys wheelhouse. His speed is decent but just average for an NFL WR. His other combine numbers are average - he's not a gifted athlete. But he's one of those guys who looks better in pads on game day with the ball in his hands.Incidentally, that's the same description back in 2011 when he was the #2 WR recruit in the country. His college was a disappointment after his freshman year. He didn't "test well" after he came out. That's why he was a 5th rounder. But when you see him on the field, it's obvious he can lose people in a hurry.
I understand what you're saying as Diggs does not have the kind of measurables or freakish size/athleticism combo of many of the recent stars and prospects at the WR position.

And maybe it's a matter of semantics, but I've been watching Diggs since HS and his athleticism has always stood out on the field. His body control, quickness- especially getting in and out of his breaks, hip fluidity, ability to change direction at full speed, and ability to seperate from people with game speed are all exceptional IMO.

I think he is most certainly a gifted athlete whose abilities stand out, even in a league full of other gifted athletes.
I thought I was pretty clear since i prefaced the statement with "his combine numbers" and mentioned in the follow up paragraph he didn't "test well."

There's nothing exceptional about his natural ability. His 40 time was 17th among WRs at this year's combine - I'd imagine his track speed is middle of the pack league way. He's plenty quick in pads, and quickness and agility matter more than pure speed. He's not big, he's not super strong - benched 225 11x, decent but not eye popping. His other measurables like 35" vertical and 9'7" broad jump are OK but don't make him stand out from the crowd. His 4.32 shuttle time is a good 0.40 from being elite - if you believe in quantifying athletic ability, his agility should be average. But like I said upthread, he can lose people quick.

They compared Diggs to Harry Douglas after the combine. Actually, I think it's more like AB - and like AB, who was a 6th rounder, they mistook his stature and strength as detriments to being able to play outside. Every small guy gets pigeon holed as a slot receiver because the trend for years has been toward bigger, stronger physical receivers. But it's a bull#### argument because so many games are called tight. You don't need to be Megatron to get off the line.

FTR, got him off waivers last night. Not totally surprising my league mates slept on him - judging from the FBGs Top 200 going forward, a lot of people seem to view him as a WR5.

There's nothing exceptional about his natural ability.
I thought I was pretty clear as well in stating that I understood what you were saying and know that Diggs' combine measurables are not elite.

But I disagree with the above. Not all athleticism is captured in timed drills. Diggs body control, fluidity, and quickness in pads all display exceptional natural ability IMO.

As I said before I saw him play in HS in one of the more heavily recruited leagues in the country. I watched him play in college against future NFL players. And his athleticism on the field has always stood out.

I thought I was pretty clear as well in stating that I understood what you were saying and know that Diggs' combine measurables are not elite.But I disagree with the above. Not all athleticism is captured in timed drills. Diggs body control, fluidity, and quickness in pads all display exceptional natural ability IMO.

As I said before I saw him play in HS in one of the more heavily recruited leagues in the country. I watched him play in college against future NFL players. And his athleticism on the field has always stood out.
Similar things were said about Antonio Brown, which is why he was picked in the 6th. Body control and the ability to make all your routes look the same, prior to the stem, is what matters as a WR--as long as you have adequate speed, size, and quickness which he does.

In dynasty, I'm thinking of moving him for Thomas Rawls. I own Lynch and would really like the handcuff and as much as I like Diggs, I am stacked at wideout (Green, Edelman, Dez, James Jones, John Brown, Diggs, Sammy, and Devante Parker). Although this is an all-play league and I don't want to improve the other guy too much as I own his first round pick for next season (and it's looking like a top 2 or 3).

Decisions, Decisions

I thought I was pretty clear as well in stating that I understood what you were saying and know that Diggs' combine measurables are not elite.

But I disagree with the above. Not all athleticism is captured in timed drills. Diggs body control, fluidity, and quickness in pads all display exceptional natural ability IMO.

You were right it is semantics. Nothing worse than trying to argue from the same side, just a waste of calories.

I thought I was pretty clear as well in stating that I understood what you were saying and know that Diggs' combine measurables are not elite.But I disagree with the above. Not all athleticism is captured in timed drills. Diggs body control, fluidity, and quickness in pads all display exceptional natural ability IMO.

Similar things were said about Antonio Brown, which is why he was picked in the 6th. Body control and the ability to make all your routes look the same, prior to the stem, is what matters as a WR--as long as you have adequate speed, size, and quickness which he does.
When I saw AB as a Freshman in college, I was immediately impressed with his agility and explosive quickness. They tried to get his hands on the ball in any way possible - returns, reverses, bubble screens, quick slants.

But TBH nobody foresaw him becoming an All Pro. We thought he'd make it to the show but I've never run across anyone who got the call right when he was in college.

So dumb I cut him last week to claim Knile Davis, of course I wouldn't get him back. Winning bid for him was $31. Didn't think someone would go that high on him. Oh well

Amazing to see how low every site has him ranked this week and ROS. Still seeing low projections this week - EVERY X-spurt I've checked has Golden Tate ranked higher - while ROS he's listed as WR5/WR6, e.g., rosterable but not startable.

The herd is missing out on this one.

Amazing to see how low every site has him ranked this week and ROS. Still seeing low projections this week - EVERY X-spurt I've checked has Golden Tate ranked higher - while ROS he's listed as WR5/WR6, e.g., rosterable but not startable.

Just checked MyFBG section and Diggs is ranked in the 50s among WRs ROS in PPR. Not sure I understand that one.

Just checked MyFBG section and Diggs is ranked in the 50s among WRs ROS in PPR. Not sure I understand that one.
He has no touchdowns yet. That's a biggie in fantasy. He's definitely more valuable in PPR than in standard. He can have numerous 6 catch/100 yard games and he'll start inching up the rankings. But throw in a touchdown to that 6 for 100, and people will open their eyes. A 10 point game is nice. But 16 or more is a difference maker.

FBGs has these folks ranked ahead of him ROS:

Cole Beasley
Rueben Randle
Terrance Williams
Danny Amendola
Doug Baldwin
Ted Ginn

He should be higher than the 50s, I agree, but sustaining any kind of consistent production is a tall order given the offense he's in IMO. That said, I'm thrilled to have him as a last round flyer in a bunch of dynasty leagues -- future looks bright particularly given that Wallace should be gone after this year d/t his huge contract.

I think the main knock on Diggs right now is not anything to do with him - it's his QB. Doesn't matter how great a WR you are if your QB can't get you the ball.

Case in point, Antonio Brown. With Roeth, he's All-Pro. With Vick, he's pedestrian (by the numbers).

I wanted Diggs but didn't put a bid for him bc I think his value lies more in PPR and Dynasty than it does in Standard scoring.

Last edited by a moderator:

He has no touchdowns yet. That's a biggie in fantasy. He's definitely more valuable in PPR than in standard. He can have numerous 6 catch/100 yard games and he'll start inching up the rankings. But throw in a touchdown to that 6 for 100, and people will open their eyes. A 10 point game is nice. But 16 or more is a difference maker.
He scored 15.9 without a TD in my standard scoring league this week.

Waived Corey Brown for him in my PPR early this morning. Last on waiver priority, no one else made a claim...

Diggs scored an 11 week 4, and 15 last week in my leagues scoring. Couldn't pass him up even though I have Wallace on bench also.

Waived Corey Brown for him in my PPR early this morning. Last on waiver priority, no one else made a claim...

Diggs scored an 11 week 4, and 15 last week in my leagues scoring. Couldn't pass him up even though I have Wallace on bench also.
Do you expect him to outperform Wallace?

FBGs has these folks ranked ahead of him ROS:

Cole Beasley
Rueben Randle
Terrance Williams
Danny Amendola
Doug Baldwin
Ted Ginn
Yeah, I cut Baldwin to pick up Diggs in one league. I was surprised to see that FBG thinks I apparently made a bad decision.

If your bids for the guy haven't gone through, just a word of warning. I didn't think that anybody was nearly as high on this guy in my league as I am. I bid $9 thinking that I could sneak him through. The winner bid $45. FORTY FIVE.

Open your wallets if you want this guy. Or else. :(

He scored 15.9 without a TD in my standard scoring league this week.
12.9 in mine. And 8.7 the week before. Would like to see him find the end zone. Debating starting him over Jordan Matthews, but think JMatt has a better chance of scoring.

Do you expect him to outperform Wallace?
I kinda do, but not totally sure. Didn't want to miss this boat if it sails though. Brown was more expendable. I can drop Wallace for some other flavor later if Diggs takes over WR1 in Minny. (I hope...)

That's :moneybag: that he has no TD's yet in terms of acquisition timing/price consideration. Last week or two was the acquire cheap week. This week was the, "Oh thank goodness he didn't score so I can still possibly get him for a hopefully non-insane amount of FAAB" week. If he gets 5/75+ this week, the talking heads on ESPN/CBS will talk him up as a sleeper pickup, and you won't acquire before week 8 because some rube in every league will think it's "sharp" with TD's coming after the targets/yards. TD this week combined with targets/yards and every pundit on earth will proclaim him the second coming and you won't be able to get him.

This feels eerily similar to the Antonio Brown/Randall Cobb inch ups to potential bust through the bricks breakouts both had in years past before being considered locked-in WR1's. Not saying it will happen exactly the same for Diggs because both of those guys are elite WR1's since breakout, save the 2015 respective situations. But, what I think is similar is that in their respective inch-ups from the waiver wire/low draft round status you had talent target/reception/yardage creeps in both guys leading up to the every week start/must have status, and your window got progressively smaller over those weeks to acquire from a snake or FAAB FA perspective. I think Diggs is trending similarly from a price check perspective, this was my all-in week with these two as examples in hindsight across redraft/keeper leagues.

If your bids for the guy haven't gone through, just a word of warning. I didn't think that anybody was nearly as high on this guy in my league as I am. I bid $9 thinking that I could sneak him through. The winner bid $45. FORTY FIVE.

Open your wallets if you want this guy. Or else. :(
Same here man, except I bid $41 which I thought might be excessive relative to other bids. Happy to have him in the league I need him the most but bummed I missed out on him in the other. His story is out there widely at this point.

This feels eerily similar to the Antonio Brown/Randall Cobb inch ups to potential bust through the bricks breakouts both had in years past before being considered locked-in WR1's. Not saying it will happen exactly the same for Diggs because both of those guys are elite WR1's since breakout, save the 2015 respective situations. But, what I think is similar is that in their respective inch-ups from the waiver wire/low draft round status you had talent target/reception/yardage creeps in both guys leading up to the every week start/must have status, and your window got progressively smaller over those weeks to acquire from a snake or FAAB FA perspective. I think Diggs is trending similarly from a price check perspective, this was my all-in week with these two as examples in hindsight across redraft/keeper leagues.
The problem I have when mentioning Diggs with names like Brown and Cobb is that he isn't on a team that will give him opportunities like those guys. Now I realize you're not suggesting that he'll eventually be Brown-like studly, but even if he becomes the true number 1 on the Vikings, he's not going to have the same chance to score points as though he were in Pittsburgh or Green Bay. Yes, buying now or last week may still constitute a value purchase, but I'm not expecting this guy's stock to rise to uber-stud status anytime soon. Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread