What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

xbox one vs ps4 (1 Viewer)

I'm always wary of used games at that level. My first job in highschool was at blockbuster and the used games were in very bad condition.

I'm always wary of used games at that level. My first job in highschool was at blockbuster and the used games were in very bad condition.
They're guaranteed and the BluRay-type coating on the newer games makes them nearly scratchproof - not like the DVD coating.

Black Friday and Cyber Monday are over and done with, but Sony is continuing to offer good deals on PlayStation 4 hardware. The company has announced that the Star Wars Battlefront standard edition and Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection PS4 bundles will sell for just $300 in the US from December 6 to December 19.
I haven't pulled the trigger on a PS4 yet, in part because I'm not really going to touch much else until I get sick of Fallout 4.

But I'm kind of hoping someone will throw in a few more extra games like that Newegg deal on the Xbox One had. Hopefully with this price drop there will be an extra sweet deal out there.

Another thread started up on PS4 but adding here too. Newegg has a $20 gift card on top of the $299 Star Wars PS4 bundle.

Think I'm pulling the trigger now Just pulled the trigger. Was hoping something like this would get added on.
Does the gift card only work at NewEgg? Or is it like a Visa gift card?
Only at NewEgg, yes. Terms say no expiration date on it.

I'll probably be picking up an external hard drive for the Xbone before too long, will probably put it towards that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need some quick help - for my son to play Destiny, Battlefront online, is this what I need --> EA Access? What's the difference between this and "Live Gold"?? We bought a 12 month online access through the console last winter, but I don't recall what exactly it was that we got.

I need some quick help - for my son to play Destiny, Battlefront online, is this what I need --> EA Access? What's the difference between this and "Live Gold"?? We bought a 12 month online access through the console last winter, but I don't recall what exactly it was that we got.
I can only speak to Battlefront. You need an EA account to play. It costs no money and its basically a username. The gold is what allows you to play online for a year.

Warning: If your kid is under 13 (I think), then change his birthday to 18 or something. EA will not allow young kids to play online. The only work around is to change their age

Xbox Live Gold is all you need.

EA Access is something entirely different. You get free digital versions of older EA games, you can play every EA game a week early, 10% off the purchase EA games, and free 10 hour trial of all EA games. Has nothing to do with online play.

AcerFC said:
CletiusMaximus said:
I can only speak to Battlefront. You need an EA account to play. It costs no money and its basically a username. The gold is what allows you to play online for a year.

Warning: If your kid is under 13 (I think), then change his birthday to 18 or something. EA will not allow young kids to play online. The only work around is to change their age
Thanks (and to you too FreeBaGel). I don't think we need this then, but will need another year of Gold in a couple months.

I already had that fun experience dealing with EA, as my son sat next to me for an hour or so waiting to play on his birthday a couple weeks ago while I was cursing and getting steadily more pissed off. I changed his age to 21 on his account, and it still would not let him play. That sucked. He now plays Battlefront under my online name / gamertag. Its nothing to me as I don't play at all, but kind of sucks for him as he's been playing Destiny under his gamertag for almost a year, and has connected with several buddies from school.

Just got the PS4 Battlefront (kids love Star Wars so they'll enjoy the extra SW games) for $299 at Target and got the extra 5% with my Target card and $100 off with my Christmas bonus from work. It's actually nice, they send $100 gift cards out to the people who work from home and don't get to the company Christmas parties, so not my real bonus. Walked out with it for $221 with taxes, not too bad. The New Egg was not interesting since I never order from there so a $20 GC is a pain in the neck and unlike in store, I haven't seen online places where you can split payments. Also, any issues or bigger sales next week mean an easy return.

I'm hoping a trade in deal comes out after this weekend or for this weekend. I just missed the Gamestop one before Thanksgiving and I'd rather not get GS credit for the Xbox 360 now. I am sure I'd use it for games later on, so no big deal, but you can't get anywhere near $100 for the console trade in without those trade in deals. If the bundle goes back to $349, then it is a wash anyway and I won't bother.

Just got the PS4 Battlefront (kids love Star Wars so they'll enjoy the extra SW games) for $299 at Target and got the extra 5% with my Target card and $100 off with my Christmas bonus from work. It's actually nice, they send $100 gift cards out to the people who work from home and don't get to the company Christmas parties, so not my real bonus. Walked out with it for $221 with taxes, not too bad. The New Egg was not interesting since I never order from there so a $20 GC is a pain in the neck and unlike in store, I haven't seen online places where you can split payments. Also, any issues or bigger sales next week mean an easy return.

I'm hoping a trade in deal comes out after this weekend or for this weekend. I just missed the Gamestop one before Thanksgiving and I'd rather not get GS credit for the Xbox 360 now. I am sure I'd use it for games later on, so no big deal, but you can't get anywhere near $100 for the console trade in without those trade in deals. If the bundle goes back to $349, then it is a wash anyway and I won't bother.
I'd gladly take $100 over this work dinner I've got tonight.

I'd gladly take $100 over this work dinner I've got tonight.
Yeah, I don't mind at all. I always had fun at my previous Christmas parties, but I'd rather have the $100 and just go watch a game with the people I like over the formal dinner. I usually have a couple company outings for managers/sales anyway and those are more fun because you usually can break off at night, again with the people you like more.

AcerFC said:
CletiusMaximus said:

Thanks (and to you too FreeBaGel). I don't think we need this then, but will need another year of Gold in a couple months.

I already had that fun experience dealing with EA, as my son sat next to me for an hour or so waiting to play on his birthday a couple weeks ago while I was cursing and getting steadily more pissed off. I changed his age to 21 on his account, and it still would not let him play. That sucked. He now plays Battlefront under my online name / gamertag. Its nothing to me as I don't play at all, but kind of sucks for him as he's been playing Destiny under his gamertag for almost a year, and has connected with several buddies from school.
Regarding your kid and Destiny: my kid is 14 (about to turn 15), and he is CRAZY with how much he wants to play Destiny. Every second of the day, he wants to get on it. It's driving me nuts. I think it's related to the leveling system the game has in place; kids need more more mor. Is your kid obsessive about this? I'm not sure how I want to handle this.

AcerFC said:
CletiusMaximus said:

Regarding your kid and Destiny: my kid is 14 (about to turn 15), and he is CRAZY with how much he wants to play Destiny. Every second of the day, he wants to get on it. It's driving me nuts. I think it's related to the leveling system the game has in place; kids need more more mor. Is your kid obsessive about this? I'm not sure how I want to handle this.
Destiny is hard for kids with limited days/hours because it is essentially a grinder game that rewards time in the chair. Its difficult having friends who get more time playing, so their characters are leveled up faster. My son is 11 and gets 2 hours per day, weekends and Wednesdays (so no gaming on Monday, Tuesday or Thursday). This is all subject to homework getting done, etc. and works around his school schedule and basketball/soccer practices. When he really got into it last spring/summer, he essentially dropped all other games and was totally obsessed. We would go on long bike rides and he'd describe weapons and gear to me non-stop for hours. He saved and bought the Taken King the day it came out. Now been playing about 10 months, and I think its starting to tail off a bit. He got the Star Wars Battlefront game on his birthday Dec. 4 and that's taken over a bit - now using his time about 50/50 on the two games.

So I basically got Gears of War, Black Ops and Final Fantasy with a pair of headphones for cheaper than I would have gotten just the console

Many thanks to Cold Dead Hands

I will probably never play Final Fantasy or Black Ops and not sure about Gears. I wonder if I will be able to trade them in for other games or a controller

ETA, Forgot about Assassins Creed. Will play that
So help me out here guys, I have boys 15 and 12, been bugging for an xbox one for a while.

I loved gaming back in the day,but the consoles I still have are SNES, N64 etc, never had an xbox or playstaion, last console I bought for the kids was the Wii.

Is this as good as it gets for them to jump on this deal for Christmas?
From the sound of Loan who is a die hard PS guy, jump on it
OK,

So I'm wrapping up this stuff last night (Finally opened the box and glad I received everything) and I'm looking at the games.

Gears of War, Black Ops, Assassins Creed Unity and Final Fantasy are all rated M for Mature.

Thoughts on these? Which ones are OK for a 12 year old? What could I expect to get for these if I sell them unopened?

Thanks for any opinions. I know my 12 year old would prefer to have NHL15 over any of these, he'll want to head to the store the day after Christmas.

Rick, the only one that will get you anything will be Blops. The other two combined was something like 7 bucks.

The gears of war are codes you put in and get the game.

For a 12 year old, you have to decide if tha language and violence in blops is ok. Watch some online vids

People in chat can be dooshes

Also, save a trip to store and buy digital
Rick, the only one that will get you anything will be Blops. The other two combined was something like 7 bucks.

The gears of war are codes you put in and get the game.

For a 12 year old, you have to decide if tha language and violence in blops is ok. Watch some online vids

People in chat can be dooshes
Thanks. Can I get a good deal on the digital version? Just download to the console? Is that how it works? It's all new to me.

Rick Gears of War has blood gore and language however its people vs. Aliens yes you can chainsaw guys and things like that for singleplayer there's a language but I think you can turn off all the blood I don't put it up as high as call of duty in terms of mature but I have so haven't played it in a long time

Is it cheaper? I like the discs so I can trade them in. Can you do that with digital?Also, glad I got The Battlefront version at Target last week. No more sales this week.
Physical discs are often cheaper, oddly enough. If you throw in the ability to resell it's unquestionably cheaper to buy physical copies. Slightly less of a convenience factor (have to go to store or order it online, have to get up and swap discs if you are changing games, etc).

Rick Gears of War has blood gore and language however its people vs. Aliens yes you can chainsaw guys and things like that for singleplayer there's a language but I think you can turn off all the blood I don't put it up as high as call of duty in terms of mature but I have so haven't played it in a long time
Thanks. This is all helpful, he's a mature 12 year old, violence up to a certain level can be tolerable and he understands it's just a game. Sex and Drugs are different animals.

I know some kids in his class at school have played all of these as well as GTA.

Also, the wife has different standards as to what is acceptable than I do, so that will be the biggest obstacle. Just didn't want to leave him with nothing to play on Christmas, but I did pick up Minecraft and Lego Dimensions as well.

rick6668 said:
So I basically got Gears of War, Black Ops and Final Fantasy with a pair of headphones for cheaper than I would have gotten just the console

I will probably never play Final Fantasy or Black Ops and not sure about Gears. I wonder if I will be able to trade them in for other games or a controller

So help me out here guys, I have boys 15 and 12, been bugging for an xbox one for a while.

I loved gaming back in the day,but the consoles I still have are SNES, N64 etc, never had an xbox or playstaion, last console I bought for the kids was the Wii.

OK,

So I'm wrapping up this stuff last night (Finally opened the box and glad I received everything) and I'm looking at the games.

Gears of War, Black Ops, Assassins Creed Unity and Final Fantasy are all rated M for Mature.

Thoughts on these? Which ones are OK for a 12 year old? What could I expect to get for these if I sell them unopened?

Thanks for any opinions. I know my 12 year old would prefer to have NHL15 over any of these, he'll want to head to the store the day after Christmas.
if he really wants nhl 15 (and not the latest nhl 16) you might just look into EA access, you get a bunch of EA games, NHL, Madden, Fifa... http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/see here under 'The Vault' i think it's something like $5 a month or $30 for the year

rick6668 said:

OK,

if he really wants nhl 15 (and not the latest nhl 16) you might just look into EA access, you get a bunch of EA games, NHL, Madden, Fifa... http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/see here under 'The Vault' i think it's something like $5 a month or $30 for the year
It's pretty awesome, and yep it's under vault.

Rick, or anyone else with a new console for xmas, might want to get that plugged in and connected to the internet before christmas morning so can get the updates done ahead of time. most games also require install time and need their own updates so may also be worth getting those going as well

Rick, or anyone else with a new console for xmas, might want to get that plugged in and connected to the internet before christmas morning so can get the updates done ahead of time. most games also require install time and need their own updates so may also be worth getting those going as well
Was toying with doing this..but not sure how I can pull it off and get them wrapped in time.

Went PS4 Battlefront bundle at Best Buy for $299. Initially got FIFA, but then decided I'd give PES a try.

Upgrading from a 360.

Thanks. Should have posted earlier, but all wrapped now. Guess we'll have to wait in the am.

How long will all that take?

How long will all that take?
i don't have a solid answer, i leave my system on standby so i get updates overnight.

internet says the latest xbox update is just over 1 GB http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-xbox-one-experience-update-install-size-reveal/1100-6432216/

games vary, some can be large, Halo MCC was 20 GB or something but most aren't that big

The problem with the Xmas morning updates is that these consoles are popular gifts and it's not all that uncommon for the update servers to have problems due to the load and take longer than normal. Holiday traffic, the digital version.

thecatch said:
stbugs said:
AcerFC said:
Is it cheaper? I like the discs so I can trade them in. Can you do that with digital?Also, glad I got The Battlefront version at Target last week. No more sales this week.
Physical discs are often cheaper, oddly enough. If you throw in the ability to resell it's unquestionably cheaper to buy physical copies. Slightly less of a convenience factor (have to go to store or order it online, have to get up and swap discs if you are changing games, etc).
Thanks. Since I tend to trade stuff in (might as well when they aren't being used), I'll keep going with the physical copies.

Went PS4 Battlefront bundle at Best Buy for $299. Initially got FIFA, but then decided I'd give PES a try.

Upgrading from a 360.
Have been thinking about pulling the trigger because I really want to play FO4. But all the places around here are back up to $349. Won't pay it now that I've seen so many people get it for $299.

Have and XBox one, which is great for Hulu, Netflix and other apps, but Ive always far preferred gameplay on the PS family. Worse yet, Im still a big fan of the sports games more than anything else, and cant find decent baseball with realistic gameplay and ability for stats, seasons etc.

So, couple questions...

What games from the last few months on XBox should I consider and/or do I say #### it, and before building a game library, suck it up and by the PS also, for gaming mostly and the xbox for everything else or exclusive games, if im ever interested.

Setting up the PS4 I got for my son. PS4 update took 15-20 minutes. Battlefront downloaded in an hour. Destiny still has 10 hours left. Probably going to be a lot worse tomorrow. And I think Lizard Squad has threatened to take down PSN and XBox Live again.

DallasDMac said:

Upgrading from a 360.
Have been thinking about pulling the trigger because I really want to play FO4. But all the places around here are back up to $349. Won't pay it now that I've seen so many people get it for $299.
It was Sony who lowered the price to $299 for 2 weeks. But the promotion is over. Hopefully they'll have something post-Xmas for ya.

We got everything updated and installed in about 45 minutes. I assume it helped that we did it at 5:30am E.T.

FYI, Lego Batman 3, Lego Marvel, and Lego Movie are $5-$6 with Xbox live gold, or $6-$8 without on Xbox live right now digitally. Very good price and kid friendly. They are fun games that adults play to FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread