What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ruh Roh! Antonio Brown to hold out? (1 Viewer)

Shutout

Footballguy
Sources tell FOX Sports Antonio Brown is seeking a new contract and is mulling a holdout.

Brown signed a six-year, $43.04 million contract in July of 2012. Since then, he's been among the most productive wideouts in the league, racking up 305 catches for 3,984 yards with 26 touchdowns. But his average annual salary of $8.39 million ranks 13th among receivers, so Brown won't attend offseason workouts and is also considering a holdout from both mandatory minicamps and training camp. Brown is absolutely invaluable to the Steelers offense, and he'll likely get a raise if he really digs his heels in. It's now a question of how long the saga will drag out.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Apr 20 - 10:47 AM
As I remember, the Steelers are a team that has a way of getting rid of guys who want more money.

Talk about it!

He has absolutely zero leverage in this situation. Or maybe I am missing something?
I agree. I'm just interested form the standpoint that, over the years it seems every time a guy starts saying "pay me" in Pittsburgh, his future checks come in Miami, Arizona, Oakland, etc.

over the years it seems every time a guy starts saying "pay me" in Pittsburgh, his future checks come in Miami, Arizona, Oakland, etc.
Those types have typically been either non-productive/perpetually injured(Woodley) or not productive enough to justify their new asking price(Wallace). Brown doesn't have that problem at present.

Still not sure where he thinks the leverage is, other than "Well, they really can't afford to not have me on the field. May as well try this."

over the years it seems every time a guy starts saying "pay me" in Pittsburgh, his future checks come in Miami, Arizona, Oakland, etc.
Those types have typically been either non-productive/perpetually injured(Woodley) or not productive enough to justify their new asking price(Wallace). Brown doesn't have that problem at present.

Still not sure where he thinks the leverage is, other than "Well, they really can't afford to not have me on the field. May as well try this."
Sure. Give it a shot, then show up for training camp.

He's under contract til 2018 but he is super valuable to the team. I wouldn't be surprised with a slight "raise" but other than that he isn't getting a new contract. It's the Pittsburgh way.

He's under contract til 2018 but he is super valuable to the team. I wouldn't be surprised with a slight "raise" but other than that he isn't getting a new contract. It's the Pittsburgh way.
Yes. Throw him another mill bonus, and add some incentives.

Does PIT have money to toss around?

Yes. Throw him another mill bonus, and add some incentives.

Does PIT have money to toss around?
As far as I know they have a little bit of flexibility with their cap number and still have room for rookie contracts so adding 1-2mill bonus would be pretty easy.

Kind of funny that most folks thought he was overpaid when his last contract was signed. He GOT that money because Wallace wouldn't take it. Now look at Wallace. Maybe he should think about that a bit.

I doubt he gets even a penny more. His only shot at making more money is to negotiate an extension with more money guaranteed.

He has absolutely zero leverage in this situation. Or maybe I am missing something?
I agree. I'm just interested form the standpoint that, over the years it seems every time a guy starts saying "pay me" in Pittsburgh, his future checks come in Miami, Arizona, Oakland, etc.
the leverage is hes the best non-QB player on the team
Sure but is he willing to hold out until the 2018 season to get a raise? He has no option other than to eventually cave-in and report and hopefully negotiate a contract extension (assuming he wants to stay in Pittsburgh)

Here's hoping that Pittsburgh sticks to their guns on their team policy about holdouts, or show that they're a bunch of hypocrites.

the leverage is hes the best non-QB player on the team
Sure but is he willing to hold out until the 2018 season to get a raise? He has no option other than to eventually cave-in and report and hopefully negotiate a contract extension (assuming he wants to stay in Pittsburgh)
he's going to get an extension on a contract that runs through 2018?

ok

Last edited by a moderator:
10 mill a year seems fair for both sides. Holding out would be stupid honestly, not like hes on a rookie contract. Makin close to 8.5

Kind of funny that most folks thought he was overpaid when his last contract was signed. He GOT that money because Wallace wouldn't take it. Now look at Wallace. Maybe he should think about that a bit.
Now look at Wallace? Do you mean the 5 year contract for 60 million = 12MM a year? For comparison, AB got a 6 year, 43MM contract = 7.1MM per year. I agree, AB should "now look at Wallace" and think about that extra 5MM per year. Most of these guys look at it as a "game of money". When you look at it with a the proper perspective, you will see that no matter what the on-field statistics show, Wallace is the real winner here.

10 mill a year seems fair for both sides. Holding out would be stupid honestly, not like hes on a rookie contract. Makin close to 8.5
While I think the hold out is silly, he deserves to be paid more.
It's not silly - the career for an NFL player could end on any play. Players need to maximize their earning potential while they are still playing.

I understand his frustration; while the APY is still north of $8M (and ranks around 14th for the position) ... his contract is backloaded, so he's not going to see the bulk of the contract until after this season. For the first three years of his contract he is being grossly underpaid.

Actual cash flows to Brown:

2013: $9.15M ($8.5M of this was signing bonus received immediately)

2014: $0.73M

2015: $6.00M

2016: $8.25M

2017: $8.71M

Brown is looking at playing 2013 through 2015 while getting only $15.88M over that time period. Considering he was the most productive WR for the last two years and probably will remain at an elite level in 2015... that's being seriously underpaid. Like, Eddie Royal, Riley Cooper, Kenny Britt salary levels.

It is somewhat corrected in 2016/2017 as his base salary jumps ... but with the salary cap going up he could very well be 20th in WR contracts for those two years.

He should hold out; and Pittsburgh should pay him. At the end of the day, though, Brown has no leverage here.

I'm sure Brown would be happy with another $3-4M base this season and tack on $1M+ to 2016/2017. Pittsburgh could fit that into their cap while still having enough to sign the rookie class. It would be tight, though. Another possibility is only changing 2016/2017 base salaries slightly but making them guaranteed.

Like I said I think he deserves to be paid more, best wr in the league consecutive years imo.

If they are gonna back the truck up for Ben they should for Brown as well.

It's not silly - the career for an NFL player could end on any play. Players need to maximize their earning potential while they are still playing.

I understand his frustration; while the APY is still north of $8M (and ranks around 14th for the position) ... his contract is backloaded, so he's not going to see the bulk of the contract until after this season. For the first three years of his contract he is being grossly underpaid.

Brown is looking at playing 2013 through 2015 while getting only $15.88M over that time period. Considering he was the most productive WR for the last two years and probably will remain at an elite level in 2015... that's being seriously underpaid. Like, Eddie Royal, Riley Cooper, Kenny Britt salary levels.

It is somewhat corrected in 2016/2017 as his base salary jumps ... but with the salary cap going up he could very well be 20th in WR contracts for those two years.

He should hold out; and Pittsburgh should pay him. At the end of the day, though, Brown has no leverage here.

I'm sure Brown would be happy with another $3-4M base this season and tack on $1M+ to 2016/2017. Pittsburgh could fit that into their cap while still having enough to sign the rookie class. It would be tight, though. Another possibility is only changing 2016/2017 base salaries slightly but making them guaranteed.
Pointing out that players get hurt doesn't change anything.

The Steelers don't really have anything to gain by renegotiating. And, he has way more to lose by holding out than he'll get if he somehow coerces a new deal.

The most likely scenario is that some of his salary in later years get converted to signing bonuses. But, beyond that, I just don't see any reason for the Steelers to make a change.

Pointing out that players get hurt doesn't change anything.

The Steelers don't really have anything to gain by renegotiating. And, he has way more to lose by holding out than he'll get if he somehow coerces a new deal.

The most likely scenario is that some of his salary in later years get converted to signing bonuses. But, beyond that, I just don't see any reason for the Steelers to make a change.
Squeaky franchise wheels get the grease. Lynch got a $4M raise this year. I think Brown is as important to the Steelers as Lynch is to the Seahawks. Given the egregiously underpaid nature of the first three years of his extension, I think the Steelers tack on additional money somewhere.

Like I said I think he deserves to be paid more, best wr in the league consecutive years imo.

The big difference is that Ben was in the last year of his contract while Brown has three years remaining. The Steelers aren't just going to hand AB more money without something in return. If he wants more money he'll have to work out a contract extension.

The Steelers don't typically do extensions when there are three years left on a contract but they might make an exception for Brown. The one thing they won't do is negotiate with a hold out so he is eventually going to have to report.

My guess is that this is just a ploy during the voluntary workout period to plant the seed that he wants more $$$.

I'm sure the Steelers realize that Brown has outplayed his contract $$$, but how about all of the other players they paid $$$ who underperformed their contracts, do the Steelers get reimbursed? I know they can cut them, but the team is still eating a lot of $$$ from underperforming players and the $$$ is still counted against the team's salary cap. I hope Brown does get some additional $$$, just don't think the Steelers or any team is obligated to redo a player's contract.

Right. I think we can all agree that Brown is outplaying his contract and can understand why he feels he is worth more money now. That is the down side of signing a 6-year deal but at the time Brown wasn't considered one of the top receivers in the NFL. Heck at the time some people thought he was the 3rd best receiver on the team behind Wallace & Sanders.

The Steelers gambled a little bit with Brown and now it is paying off. Brown doesn't really have too many options, especially only 3 years into it.

I'm sure the Steelers realize that Brown has outplayed his contract $$$, but how about all of the other players they paid $$$ who underperformed their contracts, do the Steelers get reimbursed? I know they can cut them, but the team is still eating a lot of $$$ from underperforming players and the $$$ is still counted against the team's salary cap. I hope Brown does get some additional $$$, just don't think the Steelers or any team is obligated to redo a player's contract.
yeah, I'll be looking fwd to the day a player gives money back for underperforming, or a team holds back a guy's game check 'cuz he was 2/20 with a fumble and 2 drops.

Now look at Wallace? Do you mean the 5 year contract for 60 million = 12MM a year? For comparison, AB got a 6 year, 43MM contract = 7.1MM per year. I agree, AB should "now look at Wallace" and think about that extra 5MM per year. Most of these guys look at it as a "game of money". When you look at it with a the proper perspective, you will see that no matter what the on-field statistics show, Wallace is the real winner here.
Wallace, Brown, and Pittsburgh all won. Wallace got way more money than he's worth, Brown got a fat extension that he may not have gotten had Wallace re-signed, and the Steelers got the much better player for much less money. The only ones who lost are Miami. They paid almost $25 million for two seasons of Wallace, whose production over 2 years barely outstripped what Brown did last season alone (not to mention his being a locker room cancer while Brown has a legendary work ethic and provides an example to young players), and then had to essentially give Wallace away to Minnesota just to get him off their books. (insert "Price Is Right" losing horn here)

guaranteed money is the only thing players care about.....I blame AB and his agent for agreeing to the 6 year gig....they misplayed their hand before the flop and are now wanting to get bailed out.....sorry your recent production is not in line with market value and you are now underpaid....but thats the way it goes sometimes......we'd all like to think our boss would "make it right" but teams will get gun shy and the Wallace contract is a perfect example of why they are hesitant to redo things.....at what point are a player and his agent held accountable for misplaying their hand.....I bet when they signed that last contract there was a big ####### party.....and they were jumping around as happy as can be.....now they are going to try and make the people who gave them that joy, look like cheapskates....they knew the game when they pulled the trigger on a 6 year deal.....

That wasn't really my perspective, but that's an excellent point. Wallace got what he wanted. My points were on two other lines of thought.

One is that the Steelers are more than happy to let a guy walk rather than do what they think is a bad business deal or set a bad precedent. The other is that while you may feel what you do is irreplaceable, that isn't always as true as it appears to be. By all appearances, Brown is a fantastic receiver. Wallace looked fantastic too.

First of all, good info.

From the bolded, though, so is this about "only getting paid $8 million when his peers are making more or is it a pride thing where he's making awesome money but because the cap increases, he now "ranks" 20th? I mean $8 million is $8 million no matter what so I'm guessing he's looking at it like "if that shmuck over there is worth 7 and that dude is getting 10, my numbers say I'm worth 14.

Dangerous statements. He might be the best FANTASY WR in the past 2-3, but in the NFL, he's thought of as awesome and valuable, but not generally discussed as the BEST. That still goes to Calvin, Dez, Thomas, some of these guys.

And in real life, how does a WR make a case? Look at the two SB teams and their irreplaceable stud WRs...

guaranteed money is the only thing players care about.....I blame AB and his agent for agreeing to the 6 year gig....they misplayed their hand before the flop and are now wanting to get bailed out.....sorry your recent production is not in line with market value and you are now underpaid....but thats the way it goes sometimes......we'd all like to think our boss would "make it right" but teams will get gun shy and the Wallace contract is a perfect example of why they are hesitant to redo things.....at what point are a player and his agent held accountable for misplaying their hand.....I bet when they signed that last contract there was a big ####### party.....and they were jumping around as happy as can be.....now they are going to try and make the people who gave them that joy, look like cheapskates....they knew the game when they pulled the trigger on a 6 year deal.....
good post. That really is the reality of it. The Steelers stuck their neck out first. They caught some backlash by letting Wallace walk and took a chance on an unproven Brown. And at some point, the player said "okay" and signed a 6 year deal and said "I'll take your $43 Million".

kind of get tired of the idea that business owners (business being the key word) should feel bad when they get the better end of the deal.....

for every AB contract out there there also end up being dud ones like Wallace's that teams get crucified for.....yet when they look like they are getting a bargain, they don't get an "atta boy" pat on the back for closing a good deal.....instead they are expected to "back the truck up" and redo a deal.....

Shutout said:
Run It Up said:

Dangerous statements. He might be the best FANTASY WR in the past 2-3, but in the NFL, he's thought of as awesome and valuable, but not generally discussed as the BEST. That still goes to Calvin, Dez, Thomas, some of these guys.

And in real life, how does a WR make a case? Look at the two SB teams and their irreplaceable stud WRs...
I think he has been the best on the field WR the past two years. He does it all, hes on like a 35 game streak with 5 catches, 50 yards.

Shutout said:
Run It Up said:

Dangerous statements. He might be the best FANTASY WR in the past 2-3, but in the NFL, he's thought of as awesome and valuable, but not generally discussed as the BEST. That still goes to Calvin, Dez, Thomas, some of these guys. And in real life, how does a WR make a case? Look at the two SB teams and their irreplaceable stud WRs...
I think he has been the best on the field WR the past two years. He does it all, hes on like a 35 game streak with 5 catches, 50 yards.
I would imagine teams would rather have the productive guys that are also big and fast. Not saying Brown hasnt been great but give me the dez's of the world over him for my money

Shutout said:
Carter_Can_Fly said:
his production is his leverage. no the steelers can not just replace him.

kind of get tired of the idea that business owners (business being the key word) should feel bad when they get the better end of the deal.....

for every AB contract out there there also end up being dud ones like Wallace's that teams get crucified for.....yet when they look like they are getting a bargain, they don't get an "atta boy" pat on the back for closing a good deal.....instead they are expected to "back the truck up" and redo a deal.....
As long as owners can cut guys in the middle of contracts, I have no problem with players wanting to renegotiate either

As long as owners can cut guys in the middle of contracts, I have no problem with players wanting to renegotiate either
this is absolutely ridiculous nonsense and just shows pure ignorance about the sport of professional football.

if the money isn't guaranteed then the terms of the contract are that the guy gets paid $X if he makes the roster in week 1 of whatever given year --- there is no reason they should pay him if he doesn't make the club.

unless it's guaranteed, of course, then guaranteed $ is guaranteed $, and often gets paid out to guys for poor production, or possibly even no production.

I haven't seen any of that $ paid back.

Brown also got to play on a stable team with a QB who fed him the ball.

Would he be worth that money in Cleveland the last two years? Or Oakland?

He got the extension early, which is normally below market value. Only boneheads like the Dophins pay market rate a year early (Pouncey).

Again, no harm in making a little noise, it doesn't cost him money.

this is absolutely ridiculous nonsense and just shows pure ignorance about the sport of professional football.

if the money isn't guaranteed then the terms of the contract are that the guy gets paid $X if he makes the roster in week 1 of whatever given year --- there is no reason they should pay him if he doesn't make the club.

unless it's guaranteed, of course, then guaranteed $ is guaranteed $, and often gets paid out to guys for poor production, or possibly even no production.

I haven't seen any of that $ paid back.
You can throw out all the insults you want if it makes you feel cool. Having a player cut year 3 of a 6 year contract is no different than a player holding out year 3 of that same contract. NFL contracts aren't guaranteed so the players have no other recourse. Players are asked to take pay cuts all the time, what's the difference when a player asks for a pay increase? Good day to you.

He has become a massive Richard lately, moreso than normal. Not sure what the deal is. Maybe that's how he celebrates Super Bowl wins?

Kool-Aid Larry said:
Kevrunner said:
yeah, I'll be looking fwd to the day a player gives money back for underperforming, or a team holds back a guy's game check 'cuz he was 2/20 with a fumble and 2 drops.
Guys are asked to take pay cuts all the time.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
Kevrunner said:
Mercedes Lewis just gave back 4.5 million.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
Kevrunner said:
and...?

they aren't forced to take pay cuts, they agree to take pay cuts.

their alternative is to be cut and find a better deal on the open market, so they take the cut knowing they aren't worth any more than what the club is offering.

marcedes lewis hasn't given back a penny, as he was never paid that 4m, which is why these kind of comments are so ignorant.

I don't know what's so hard to understand about all this but as I've already pointed out, and as gets pointed out every single year in similar threads, the contract calls for a certain salary paid in a certain year if that player makes the roster --- he is not guaranteed a roster spot.

if brown makes the roster this year and refuses to play for said amount then he's not holding up his end of the deal.

if brown makes the roster and the steelers refuse to pay him, then the steelers are not holding up their end of the deal, but you have never even seen that happen once, as the player would sue the money out of them.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
Kevrunner said:
Mercedes Lewis just gave back 4.5 million.
no he didn't.....you think he actually wrote them a 4.5 million dollar check.....?

taking a pay cut is NOT giving money back.......kool aid is spot on here even if you think he is not saying it nicely to you

Brown and his agent knew what they were getting themselves into when they agreed to the deal.......they knew he could be cut after one year, after two years, after 3, after 4, after 5, .......and just because they can cut him, does not mean it's cool to threaten to hold out when you are under contract.......they knew that before they signed the contract.....nothing has changed

knowing you can be cut is factored in and something you consider before signing on the dotted line.....that is why players and their agents are mostly concerned about signing bonuses and guaranteed money.......

Users who are viewing this thread