What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BitGold - You in? (1 Viewer)

General Malaise

Footballguy
Full disclosure, I am a BitGold stockholder personally and it represents a large percentage of my company's portfolio, therefore, I am not only biased, but would acknowledge that this thread makes me look self serving.

That said, as of today, US Citizens can now open a BitGold account. I just did so this morning.

What is BitGold? We recently had an article published by Marc Faber's "The Gloom, Boom & Doom Report". From the article:

BitGold is electronically accessible ‎gold, bringing all the convenience and innovation that's happening in fiat or digital currencies to the one commodity money that's passed all tests of time. The online financial platform is elegantly designed by a technical team that has composed more than 100,000 lines of code to date. The gold is fully reserved, allocated, redeemable and stored on behalf of account holders in Brinks vaults around the globe. Storage and Lloyd’s of London insurance are free. Trades are settled nearly instantly. BitGold is not a bank, but rather, a third party internet based platform linking a user’s securely vaulted gold to global payment rails of every sort. The product is ideally suited as both a savings and transaction account. The online wallet is secure and fully fungible back and forth from fiat to gold and back again. BitGold’s service isn’t just limited to the digital world. The company is in the process of deploying hundreds of BitGold ATMs and the gold in one’s account can be spent with a BitGold MasterCard at any traditional point of sale or ATM.

There is a 1% transaction fee on purchases and sales when fiat is converted to gold, or gold to fiat which compares most favorably to the cost of buying, storing, and selling physical gold. One of the more disruptive, revolutionary features of the BitGold platform is that gold can be transferred from one account to another, anywhere around the world, for free. The remittance industry, or sending payment for goods and services, or as a gift, is a lucrative $500 Billion business worldwide and dominated by the likes of Western Union and MoneyGram. The BitGold product is particularly well suited for the 4 billion un-banked and under-banked as a means of remittance and wishing to save in gold, for citizens living in countries with depreciating currencies and dangerous political climates, and for everyone else who covet gold as a superior currency to fiat. Customers will be able to seamlessly and effortlessly now house their monetary assets in a safer jurisdiction of their choice on a platform host to 10 languages and 160 global currencies.
Are you in or are you out on BitGold? Thoughts? Opinions? Where art thou, BGP?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/06/25/uk-china-gold-icbc-idUKKBN0P50BO20150625

Seems like as good a place as any to stick this.

Some are speculating that China's price will be for physical delivery and if this price is pegged higher than London and COMEX, there's going to have to be upward movement.

ETA: IRA eligible?
Not sure how to answer that. Are you talking about opening a BitGold account or investing in the stock? If the former, I suppose it depends on your custodian and the flexibility you have with cash in the account.

I just opened an account with my debit card. I do not own BitGold stock in my IRA as is held at Charles Schwab and currently, there's not a listing for BitGold on Schwab's platform. It's coming, though.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/06/25/uk-china-gold-icbc-idUKKBN0P50BO20150625

Some are speculating that China's price will be for physical delivery and if this price is pegged higher than London and COMEX, there's going to have to be upward movement.

Not sure how to answer that. Are you talking about opening a BitGold account or investing in the stock? If the former, I suppose it depends on your custodian and the flexibility you have with cash in the account.

I just opened an account with my debit card. I do not own BitGold stock in my IRA as is held at Charles Schwab and currently, there's not a listing for BitGold on Schwab's platform. It's coming, though.
No, the actual gold in a PM IRA.

ETA: 1% over spot is a much better price than you can currently find on a PM IRA through APMEX or any other provider and you'd be talking about 10K purchases to get to 2% over spot. If you're allowing fractional possibilities to a self directed PM IRA at 1% over, this is very attractive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure I get the market. I don't think most consumers want their bank accounts in gold and the gold bugs sure seem like the kind that don't want their gold to be in London when the SHTF.

I'm definitely out.

Not sure I get the market. I don't think most consumers want their bank accounts in gold and the gold bugs sure seem like the kind that don't want their gold to be in London when the SHTF.

I'm definitely out.
Gold can be in any one of 7 or 8 locations of your choice. Mine is in Dubai. :shrug:

I want a bank account and a BitGold account. I also have a PayPal account. I also have a credit union account. I have accounts at Schwab and TD Ameritrade...it's okay to spread the love, baby.

No, the actual gold in a PM IRA.

ETA: 1% over spot is a much better price than you can currently find on a PM IRA through APMEX or any other provider and you'd be talking about 10K purchases to get to 2% over spot. If you're allowing fractional possibilities to a self directed PM IRA at 1% over, this is very attractive.
:thumbup:

The price of gold is not set. Gold that is 1500 an ounce today could be 1000 tomorrow. So then what? I just lost 33% of my savings? This seems like something only a savvy player should be messing with not the average Joe. And they seem to be targeting the unbanked in the stuff I read. Seems like a bad idea for them as even small losses would hurt even worse.

The price of gold is not set. Gold that is 1500 an ounce today could be 1000 tomorrow. So then what? I just lost 33% of my savings? This seems like something only a savvy player should be messing with not the average Joe. And they seem to be targeting the unbanked in the stuff I read. Seems like a bad idea for them as even small losses would hurt even worse.
Sure, that's a risk. The flip side is also in play. And though I agree to your point, I have a hard time believing gold will drop $500 in a day. Not impossible, but not likely.

You also have currency risk just keeping your savings in fiat...

2% over spot on credit card transactions is also interesting. Whenever you can buy "money" on a credit card so close to actual value, there's the potential to build miles. I'm still wondering if it was our beloved Mr. Pickles who racked up millions of frequent flier miles on the gov't dime when the $1 coin rollout occurred.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB126014168569179245

Are deposits 100% backed by physical gold?

Who audits the physical holdings, and how often?
Yes and...

Real-Time Audit of Gold
Our patent-pending Aurum technology is directly integrated with the Vault Custodian. This allows for real-time "audits" of the gold in all vaults enforcing a reconciliation of all corresponding account holders and the allocated physical gold holdings vaulted with the Vault Custodian. Aurum distributes these records in three ways:

Digital and physical copies are distributed to disaster recovery backups at randomized times each day.

Every 24 hours, an encrypted digital copy is sent to a third party auditor via an secure encrypted connection.

A third party auditor conducts planned and surprise audits at the Vault Custodian ensuring the reported gold holdings are reconciled through physical inspection.

BitGold Inc. financial statements are audited by PriceWaterhouseCoopers, one of the largest auditing firms in the world with its roots tracing back to 1849. BitGold Inc. financial statements are audited according to International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).

I'll bite, what is the symbol? In for 1,000 shares at $4.80.
Gonna have to find a Canadian broker to transact until there's a US symbol. Should be available soon.
I talked Scotrade and they said they could buy it for me but I had to call.

Oh and I'm in!!!!!!!
Yeah, most big houses have Canadian brokers who can buy Canadian stocks...just have to phone in and actually talk to somebody.

And damn right you're in! :hifive:

One day, we're going to celebrate this one. Not any day soon, mind you. But one day.

Unless of course this thing goes to zero and you hate me. Then we can just get drunk in a ditch.

Gonna have to find a Canadian broker to transact until there's a US symbol. Should be available soon.

Oh and I'm in!!!!!!!
Yeah, most big houses have Canadian brokers who can buy Canadian stocks...just have to phone in and actually talk to somebody.

One day, we're going to celebrate this one. Not any day soon, mind you. But one day.

Unless of course this thing goes to zero and you hate me. Then we can just get drunk in a ditch.
Love you so hard.

There's a possibility I'll be in your neck of the woods, nape of the way, soon. :thumbup:

I'm out for now. From what I read and heard, it's too unregulated and possibly corrupt for my tastes.

Maybe in a few years.

Eta: poop, thought this was about bitcoin.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's times like this when I wish I knew anything about stock. I don't even have a brokerage account.
stocks are for suckers. Real Estate is where its at. That's the real money maker, you need a piece of something that will bring in money. Make your money work for you. Now, just between you and me, I can get you a share of the Brooklyn Bridge if you are interested. Before you know it you will be on easy street.

Sure, that's a risk. The flip side is also in play. And though I agree to your point, I have a hard time believing gold will drop $500 in a day. Not impossible, but not likely.

Well yeah I was just doing easy math. This still seems way too much like speculation to really be what they say they want it to be.

Oh and I'm in!!!!!!!

Love you so hard.

There's a possibility I'll be in your neck of the woods, nape of the way, soon. :thumbup:
Oh yeah? Sweet!

Well yeah I was just doing easy math. This still seems way too much like speculation to really be what they say they want it to be.
Ummmm...it's happening already. You open an account, make a deposit, specify where you want your physical gold to be stored and now you own physical gold. Get a debit card linked to your account, spend it as you like. Or don't spend it.

Ummmm...it's happening already. You open an account, make a deposit, specify where you want your physical gold to be stored and now you own physical gold. Get a debit card linked to your account, spend it as you like. Or don't spend it.
I get that it is already happening. I mean their talk of this being a boon for the unbanked and a serious competitor for Western Union. Just not sure I see it my friend. But hey I can see why someone would get in and take a wait see position early.

I get that it is already happening. I mean their talk of this being a boon for the unbanked and a serious competitor for Western Union. Just not sure I see it my friend. But hey I can see why someone would get in and take a wait see position early.
At the very least, it might force Western Union to lower its ridiculous fees. 8.5% to send money is absurd.

We shall see....I'm in on this one.

I'll buy some. Hell, I bought WWE stock as a joke and it went up like 15% before I sold it. This place is always making me money!

If anything, I want gold to be physical and in my possession (9/10 of the law and all that stuff).
You can convert your BitGold to physical gold and take possession. A Brinks truck will roll into your driveway and deliver.
Yeah, I mean I want gold in my possession ASAP upon purchasing it. I don't view gold as an investment though, but rather insurance. Don't own much of it anyways.

If anything, I want gold to be physical and in my possession (9/10 of the law and all that stuff).
You can convert your BitGold to physical gold and take possession. A Brinks truck will roll into your driveway and deliver.
No schtick?
No schtick. Brinks will deliver these to you should you redeem and want physical gold. My boss had it done couple months back. Pretty cool if you're into gold and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread