What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Accidental ATM Receipt Peeper... (1 Viewer)

Senor Schmutzig

Footballguy
Have you ever gone to an ATM and noticed that the receipt from the previous user was either sticking out of the machine or placed on top of the ATM?

A few years ago (edit, it was 8 years ago), I was taking money out of an ATM, noticed the receipt from the prior user and of course, I couldn't help but look at it.

The balance was $639,473.55. Baller! :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

Damn, I wish my bank account had that many numbers in it....

Anyone else?

Have you ever gone to an ATM and noticed that the receipt from the previous user was either sticking out of the machine or placed on top of the ATM?

A few years ago (edit, it was 8 years ago), I was taking money out of an ATM, noticed the receipt from the prior user and of course, I couldn't help but look at it.

Anyone else?
That's asinine...why you would leave that in a savings account blows my mind. Make that money work for you!

Anyone else?
That's asinine...why you would leave that in a savings account blows my mind. Make that money work for you!
Came here to post exactly that. We have significantly less in our checking, but still way too much, and I was thinking I needed to move it to something that gets higher returns

Anyone else?
Came here to post exactly that. We have significantly less in our checking, but still way too much, and I was thinking I needed to move it to something that gets higher returns
I love SoFi for that. 4.6 in their savings and 1.x in checking, just move it back and forth as necessary and only keep liquid what you need from a reserve perspective. I need to make the move to it from US Bank. Both of my kids are using SoFi as their primary account.

Anyone else?
It wasn't even in a savings, it was checking

Anyone else?
It wasn't even in a savings, it was checking
Maybe he/she/they/them just sold a house and the proceeds were in there, waiting to be put down on a new house?

Anyone else?
I've seen way more in checking accounts. For various reasons.
  • Individual home builders often keep more than that so they can buy lots. They can't risk it being in the market and dropping, then not having the funds to close on the lots they buy. And many do it from their personal accounts. So they buy 2-5 lots over time for $1M each, then after its bought they place it in an LLC and build a $3M house. Once the new home sells, they transfer the money from the addresses LLC back to their checking account to buy more lots. It results in very high bank accounts.
  • Foreign residents often can't do anything with their money. It takes forever to transfer it internationally so they need it on tap. You can't just take money in Korea and drop it into the US, or vice versa. There are restrictions.
  • I watched a teenager in Bev Hills use her debit card to buy a Chanel purse that was over $100K. Didn't even know it was possible to debt that much on a card. The store knew her obviously. If you have multiple millions, you don't care if it's FDIC insured and you need spending money. Making a few grand extra in better investments is zzz to them.
There is a side of the world with so much money it's pretty darn gross. I don't begrudge them. They found a way to earn/inherit it. But the wealth gap (moreso than income gap) is greatly expanding around the world. 1% of families in the US hold 40% of all wealth.

Last edited:

Anyone else?
I love SoFi for that. 4.6 in their savings and 1.x in checking, just move it back and forth as necessary and only keep liquid what you need from a reserve perspective. I need to make the move to it from US Bank. Both of my kids are using SoFi as their primary account.

Especially now with interest rates sky high, no reason to leave a nice sum in any non income generating account. It's not like it was 10 years ago when you were lucky to get a basis point out of a Savings Account.

Anyone else?
Exactly!

Anyone else?
We had a huge amount in our checking/savings account right after we sold our house. And then we moved it right into Vanguard. The amount in our account went up and down like a yoyo.

I watched a teenager in Bev Hills use her debit card to buy a Chanel purse that was over $100K. Didn't even know it was possible to debt that much on a card
There are unlimited card limits. I know a girl who had one tied to her dad's business that had no limit, it was an AMEX. I'm sure the other companies probably have the same thing for select customers.

I watched a teenager in Bev Hills use her debit card to buy a Chanel purse that was over $100K. Didn't even know it was possible to debt that much on a card
There are unlimited card limits. I know a girl who had one tied to her dad's business that had no limit, it was an AMEX. I'm sure the other companies probably have the same thing for select customers.
The AMEX Black card, I think.

Anyone else?
I've seen way more in checking accounts. For various reasons.
  • Individual home builders often keep more than that so they can buy lots. They can't risk it being in the market and dropping, then not having the funds to close on the lots they buy. And many do it from their personal accounts. So they buy 2-5 lots over time for $1M each, then after its bought they place it in an LLC and build a $3M house. Once the new home sells, they transfer the money from the addresses LLC back to their checking account to buy more lots. It results in very high bank accounts.
  • Foreign residents often can't do anything with their money. It takes forever to transfer it internationally so they need it on tap. You can't just take money in Korea and drop it into the US, or vice versa. There are restrictions.
  • I watched a teenager in Bev Hills use her debit card to buy a Chanel purse that was over $100K. Didn't even know it was possible to debt that much on a card. The store knew her obviously. If you have multiple millions, you don't care if it's FDIC insured and you need spending money. Making a few grand extra in better investments is zzz to them.
There is a side of the world with so much money it's pretty darn gross. I don't begrudge them. They found a way to earn/inherit it. But the wealth gap (moreso than income gap) is greatly expanding around the world. 1% of families in the US hold 40% of all wealth.

I met with a client last month on a disputed trust issue and we were going through the probate and trust assets. My colleague was going through some records a few days later and found an old account that had $89k balance the client was unaware of. She’s very sharp, but it just slipped her mind.

Sometimes mine is like exactly the price of a new TV, like $899.99. If only there wasn't sales tax :kicksrock:

Somewhat related. Friend is a paralegal in an employment firm. She was working on a severance package for a dude. $122,000 which represents 12 weeks of pay.
LOL she was annoyed.

Somewhat related. Friend is a paralegal in an employment firm. She was working on a severance package for a dude. $122,000 which represents 12 weeks of pay.
LOL she was annoyed.
Why? Because the guy makes over $500k / year? That's really not THAT much for certain fields.

Maybe drug dealer or org crime type that is washing money? But more likely a wealthy foreigner that is stashing it there.

Also pulled $1200 in cash out. Maybe they're a big time gambler.

I like to transfer everything i have into savings now and again. Then go to an ATM take out 20 bucks and leave the receipt in the machine. I always pucture some dude being like OMG! What a baller.

Thanks for the validation. Makes that penalty i paid on my IRA totally worth it.

In the early 90s the ATM receipts usually came out on little cards instead of paper. My friend would comb through the trash at the ATM to find receipts that had really big balances on them, then save them as scratch paper he just happened to have on him to write down his phone number to give to a girl

In the early 90s the ATM receipts usually came out on little cards instead of paper. My friend would comb through the trash at the ATM to find receipts that had really big balances on them, then save them as scratch paper he just happened to have on him to write down his phone number to give to a girl
Now that's a shark move.

LOL she was annoyed.
Why? Because the guy makes over $500k / year? That's really not THAT much for certain fields.
Well 500K a year may not seem like a lot for this place. I realize that's just a couple weeks pay for everyone here, but yeah that's a lot compared to a paralegal making maybe 80.

Not quite the same, but many years ago on a youthful night out I grabbed someone else’s receipt out of the pile at the club ATM. Wow was that a sobering moment the next day when I saw the amount of the huge withdrawal. I don’t think the account balance was printed, so it wasn’t obvious that the receipt wasn’t mine. Somehow, and more than 24 miserable hours later, I realized that it was someone else’s account #.

And yes this was long enough ago that there wasn’t an option to immediately run to the online account to check the balance!

Not quite the same, but many years ago on a youthful night out I grabbed someone else’s receipt out of the pile at the club ATM. Wow was that a sobering moment the next day when I saw the amount of the huge withdrawal. I don’t think the account balance was printed, so it wasn’t obvious that the receipt wasn’t mine. Somehow, and more than 24 miserable hours later, I realized that it was someone else’s account #.

And yes this was long enough ago that there wasn’t an option to immediately run to the online account to check the balance!
Uh, what kind of club?

No, but I did once show the nice lady at the door at Costco my Chase Bank deposit receipt with balance on it.

Had 2 receipts in my pocket & forgot about the bank deposit. Got to the door & boy was that awkward.

Users who are viewing this thread