What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tristan Thompson is a moron (1 Viewer)

ghostguy123

Footballguy
As a Cavs fan (or any rational human) I can't help but think this guy and his agent have absolutely lost their minds.

A year ago this guy was left handed. Yes, left handed. He switched the dang hand he shoots with last year. He is NOT a very good offensive player, obviously. He can't even be in the game at the end cause of the hack-a-Tristan and his 50% free throw percentage. He is also no lock down defender. What is he? A good defender and an excellent rebounder.

However, the dude was offered 80 million over 5 years and rejected it, looking for more. How freaking stupid do you need to be?

This isn't even Thompson specific. I see guys do this all the time, though this is maybe the most dramatic of the bunch given his skillset and the monetary figures we are talking about here.

At this moment in time he is guaranteed NO money.

It's simple. I don't care how good you are. I don't care if he has a chance to make 150 million. When you are offered 80 million guaranteed, and by all accounts it is very fair value (probably a significant overpayment actually), sign the ### #### deal. Wow.

Pretty obvious his agent is playing a huge role in this, but still, I would pretty easily tell that idiot to get the deal done, ASAP.

Not much difference between 80 and 90 million, but a rather ginormous different between 80 million and a few million if he were to get seriously injured before a deal.

Sucks to have won the east and put up a fight in the finals with a depleted roster.

He'll sign this deal. The cavs will sweeten it to look like he will receive more than the 5/80 so his agent can save face. Probably add something like extra money for making the all-star team. This will be a non-issue once the season starts. Don't know why folks get all worked up every year with stuff like this and players rarely miss time.

Just to justify your argument, how many players have lost huge deals after rejecting guaranteed contracts?

Just to justify your argument, how many players have lost huge deals after rejecting guaranteed contracts?
Christian Laettner lost a huge one. I believe he turned down a rather large deal then tore his achilles a week later. Yeah it was a while ago, but why risk it? Is 90 million really that much more than 80 million when you have several months to get hurt or get in some accident, or come down with some disease? Makes...........no............sense. He would be set up for 15 lifetimes. Does he really need to be set up for 17 life times?

Last edited by a moderator:
GordonGekko said:
However, the dude was offered 80 million over 5 years and rejected it, looking for more. How freaking stupid do you need to be?
Thompson is a tweener who can't defend the rim and can't space the floor with a league average three point shot. He also lacks a back to the basket game and does not rate out as a plus defender.

The guy is a power forward, he would have no business even as a third string center, and his entire situation only illustrates two major problems for the Cavs.

1) If you are an NBA franchise and won the NBA Draft Lottery in 3 out of 4 consecutive years, with multiple first rounders in several of those years, and you don't not walk out of that with a starting center ( They traded two firsts for Mosgov last season), then what in the living hell are you doing?

2) If you let LeBron James run personnel for your franchise, like he did for the Cavs the first time around and like he did for Miami, he will run your franchise into the ground.

Kevin Love is a no defense power forward who is treading on injury prone labeling. He can't play center. He can't defend the rim. At least he can jack up a three ball.

LeBron James is essentially a point power forward at this point in his career. As time wanes on, it would be in his interests to stop having to be the primary wing defender at all times. A player can only burn so hard on both ends of the court for so long against so many minutes.

Both those guys are chewing up max money. So they want to pay Thompson, another power forward a crap ton of money to give you none of the essentials that Love and Mosgov can't provide.

This is factoring in Mosgov will be a value contract his year, but next year, will need to be paid, and will be paid, because there is no other real center on the roster.

Spending all this money on power forwards when you have traded away all your assets and burned out your cap space so you are relying on LBJ's aging friends or JR Smith or Iman Shumpert to solidify your wing play.

Crazy thought, if the Cavs had just kept Wiggins, they would have a young cheap cost controlled rookie with future upside who was an elite caliber NBA wing defender right from the start. Instead, they traded the Great Canadian Hope and kept Kyrie Irving, who is also injury prone and doesn't move well off the ball and isn't an elite lights out long range shooter, because if LBJ is on your team, LBJ is the distributor.

How do you win 3 out of 4 consecutive Draft Lotteries, then have one of the best players in the game come back to you, with no outgoing compensation, and still be this roster locked and capped out and draft asset poor?

If Thompson is betting on a rise in the soft cap without a smoothing option and that he'll get a big chunk just for being one of the few young guys available, I think he's overplaying his hand. ( The market for Greg Monroe wasn't robust, and Monroe can actually play center )

If Thompson is betting on the Cavs continuing to let LBJ and Rich Paul run this team into the ground, I don't know, he's got a 50/50 chance in my book.

You can only out talent other team for so long with a Top 2/Top 3 player, you still need a strong roster fit, team chemistry and a balance of how roles play out for the entire team concept.

If Tristan Thompson is a moron, sadly he fits right in with the rest of the Cavs braintrust.

I feel sorry for Cavs fans.
While a lot of what you said may be true, it makes sense to bring TT back. He fits well with this team because he doesnt need to be relied upon for creating his own offense, and he can score off the dirty work.

I think it was pretty clear the Cavs were a better team than Golden State had they not been missing their 2nd and 3rd best players, and I can completely understand why they have made the roster moves that they have.

There was a 2-3 year window here. Heading into year 2 of that now. 1 title would trump the next 30 years of garbage

That is all true. The problem he will likely find is that no one values him higher than the Cavs do. Without lebrons voice and the structure of that team, he's Terrance jones. I like him as a player but the idea that he should command the same money as guys like Aldridge or griffin on the open market is silly.

That is all true. The problem he will likely find is that no one values him higher than the Cavs do. Without lebrons voice and the structure of that team, he's Terrance jones. I like him as a player but the idea that he should command the same money as guys like Aldridge or griffin on the open market is silly.
I don't think him and his agent think someone will offer them more. I think that they think the Cavs will offer him more than the 80 million over 5 years because Cleveland is desperate for a title and Gilbert doesn't care about spending boatloads in luxury tax to get it.

Either way, it doesnt matter. Totally beside the points. Take the guaranteed 80 million bucks NOW rather than try and extract a few million more, all the while risking it all as time passes.

I dont care who you are. Crazy to turn down when you have no current deal and no endorsements

Right. Is there a 4th best player on any team in the league with a contract higher than even 50 million total? Passing on 80 is nuts.

Right. Is there a 4th best player on any team in the league with a contract higher than even 50 million total? Passing on 80 is nuts.
Yep. It is nuts is basically any circumstance.

If I was offered 80 million guaranteed knowing I COULD MAYBE get 200 million guaranteed in a couple months, I will take the 80 million.

In his case even if he got more it wouldnt be all that much more. So dumb. The thought process of some of these guys is beyond boTTling

It doesn't matter what thread, what topic, what theme. Your dumb ### is going to post some horrific 7000 word unreadable diatribe.

That my friend, is not cool.

When there is a better option available, then sure, it wouldnt make sense.

Who is available that is better suited for this team?

You are making it sound like Thompson is terrible, and he isn't. He is pretty decent on this team in his role. Is he worth 80 million? Of course not, but he doesnt need to be worth 80 million for it to make sense to sign him for 80 million, because he is the best option (that we know of), and Gilbert doesnt care about spending money on cap and the luxury tax.

It will look terrible in like 2-3 years, but so what? They arent concerned with 3 years from now, and thank god for that.

You didnt list any players by the way. Just a bunch of blahhhhhhh

And i did pick a side. You just seem to be too stupid to figure out what it is.

They pulled their 5 year 80 mill offer.

Good, now the Cavs will get him for less. No other team is going to offer that much.

You think hes stupid look at poor ian Desmond
No idea who that is and am not looking it up. Wanna elaborate?
He passed up a $107 mil deal a year ago in favor of a 2yr 17.5mil contract that would take him through his arbitration years. Since then his game has tanked. http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2015/6/30/8865493/ian-desmond-nationals-free-agency-contract-money-on-the-tableThe NBA cap will explode over the next few seasons so it makes sense (to some) for Thompson to wait. His agent has "won" in RFA the past two offseasons, so it's not a baseless case being made for Thompson. However, it seems prudent to lock up that life-changing money and enjoy being on LeBron's team for a while.

He passed up a $107 mil deal a year ago in favor of a 2yr 17.5mil contract that would take him through his arbitration years. Since then his game has tanked. http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2015/6/30/8865493/ian-desmond-nationals-free-agency-contract-money-on-the-tableThe NBA cap will explode over the next few seasons so it makes sense to some for him to wait. His agen has "won" in RFA the past two offseasonsso it's not a baseless case being made for Thompson, but it seems prudent to lock p that life-changing money and enjoy being on LeBron's team for a while.
I have no idea what Desmond will get this winter but I bet he still gets a pretty good contract. He's still a pretty good player and coming into his prime years.

He passed up a $107 mil deal a year ago in favor of a 2yr 17.5mil contract that would take him through his arbitration years. Since then his game has tanked. http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2015/6/30/8865493/ian-desmond-nationals-free-agency-contract-money-on-the-tableThe NBA cap will explode over the next few seasons so it makes sense (to some) for Thompson to wait. His agent has "won" in RFA the past two offseasons, so it's not a baseless case being made for Thompson. However, it seems prudent to lock up that life-changing money and enjoy being on LeBron's team for a while.
Lets see, take 80 million over 5 years when you are young and haven;t exactly made a TON of money yet, or risk everything for 94 million.

It's stupid for every reason imaginable, most notably risk/reward, but also he was never getting a max deal anyway, and now he might not even get the 80 million (probably wont actually), and could get jack squat if he got hurt before anything is signed.

Yeah turns out that Desmond guy sounds like a moron also.

I bet none of these guys bother to waste any money on that thing called insurance either.

Well, the moron signed for $82 million. Guess he's not that dumb after all.
Yes, he is. He risked 80 million dollars over the past couple months when sooooooooo many things could have gone wrong. Congrats.

He was one major injury, accident, or illness away from being broke in a few years.

Yes, he is. He risked 80 million dollars over the past couple months when sooooooooo many things could have gone wrong. Congrats.

He was one major injury, accident, or illness away from being broke in a few years.
That may happen anyway regardless. He will probably live a lifestyle like he has 200 million dollars not 82.

That may happen anyway regardless. He will probably live a lifestyle like he has 200 million dollars not 82.
Sure, but 80 million will last a lot longer than the 10 or so he has made so far.

82 million F'ing dollars. Geeze.

Anyone ever see Brewster's Millions? I forget how much he had to spend, but I know even TRYING to give all the money away it was tough, yet some of these guys manage to do it.

Sure, but 80 million will last a lot longer than the 10 or so he has made so far.

Anyone ever see Brewster's Millions? I forget how much he had to spend, but I know even TRYING to give all the money away it was tough, yet some of these guys manage to do it.
He's not going to pocket anywhere near $82 million. Take out taxes including the famous "jock tax" they pay in most states, the agent's cut, presumably other advisors, and he's taking home probably less than half of that.

I never begrudge a player for getting every penny they can. The money is coming out of the pockets of billionaires who are enriched far more by the players' efforts than the players themselves. Those billionaires have artificially capped the market on labor to make sure that balance stays totally out of whack. Their earning window is small. Good for them for getting what they can.

BTW the reason Brewster had trouble spending the money is the rule that he couldn't have any assets left after spending it. If he could have bought a big house for his mom and some nice cars it would have been easy. Also, it was just a movie ;)

Brewster had to spend $30 million in 30 days, FYI!

10 young ladies, fancy hotel suite for 2 weeks, some recreational party favors, 2 weeks in the ICU. Not seeing a problem. :shrug:

He's not going to pocket anywhere near $82 million. Take out taxes including the famous "jock tax" they pay in most states, the agent's cut, presumably other advisors, and he's taking home probably less than half of that.

I never begrudge a player for getting every penny they can. The money is coming out of the pockets of billionaires who are enriched far more by the players' efforts than the players themselves. Those billionaires have artificially capped the market on labor to make sure that balance stays totally out of whack. Their earning window is small. Good for them for getting what they can.

BTW the reason Brewster had trouble spending the money is the rule that he couldn't have any assets left after spending it. If he could have bought a big house for his mom and some nice cars it would have been easy. Also, it was just a movie ;)
i am aware of taxes and agent fees.

I am fine with Athletes getting what they can, but in this case it was incredibly moronic give all the details.

With no assetts at the end of 30 days.

I am fine with Athletes getting what they can, but in this case it was incredibly moronic give all the details.
How do you figure? He got an extra 2 million above what they were previously offering and he didn't have to play in a bunch of silly preseason games, which I'm sure was nice after playing into June last season. I don't think he or the team lost anything by his missing training camp since the coach and personnel are largely the same as last season and they're a lock for a high seed in the playoffs anyway so they have months to fine tune things. There was very little risk from his standpoint. I'm sure he was hoping for more but it's not like he cost himself any money, which plenty of other athletes have done by overestimating their worth.

How do you figure? He got an extra 2 million above what they were previously offering and he didn't have to play in a bunch of silly preseason games, which I'm sure was nice after playing into June last season. I don't think he or the team lost anything by his missing training camp since the coach and personnel are largely the same as last season and they're a lock for a high seed in the playoffs anyway so they have months to fine tune things. There was very little risk from his standpoint. I'm sure he was hoping for more but it's not like he cost himself any money, which plenty of other athletes have done by overestimating their worth.
You are not looking at this even the slightest bit the way I am. Basketball has zero to do with it.

He spent the last couple months risking getting NOTHING rather than take 80 million guaranteed. And its not like he was super rich beforehand.

Anyway, never mind, I guess I am crazy for accepting 80 million NOW rather than risk something terrible happening over a 2 month span when i don't have a ton of money, and MAYBE I get more more than 80 mill.

You are not looking at this even the slightest bit the way I am. Basketball has zero to do with it.

He spent the last couple months risking getting NOTHING rather than take 80 million guaranteed. And its not like he was super rich beforehand.

Anyway, never mind, I guess I am crazy for accepting 80 million NOW rather than risk something terrible happening over a 2 month span when i don't have a ton of money, and MAYBE I get more more than 80 mill.
You really thought the Cavs were not going to resign him? :excited: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You really thought the Cavs were not going to resign him? :excited: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
How on Earth did you come to that conclusion? That makes less than zero sense.

Users who are viewing this thread