What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** OFFICIAL **** LOST - The TV Series (3 Viewers)

I think that maybe Libby has been stalking Hurley since they were in the nut house.
This is one of the things that gets me the most. If everything on this island, and the purpose for everyone being there, is competely manufactured, how in the hell do they get everyone on the same flight by that kind of manipulation of their lives. Most corporations and government agencies cant put together a proper gd company picnic, let alone this bull####. :hot:

I would chalk this up to another survivor's thoughts being read and the island/Others/Smoke Monster projected the thoughts into Hurley's head.
The mind reading angle just doesn't make sense to me. I haven't seen near enough evidence to conclude anything as I still believe the Ecko/smoke monster images to be his life flashing before his eyes as a way of showing him being in control of his life's short comings and thus exhibiting strength to Smokey. I think Hurley's guilt complex explains Dave and his hoarding of food combined with the constant nagging of the numbers "curse" brought about another episode. The guilt complex induced visions also goes for Jack seeing his dad and Claire seeing the horse (that horse wasn't real, right?).
Evidence, I think there is a ton of evidence.1. The images were inside of the smoke monster, you even saw the electrical static going that was never present in the smoke monster in other scenes. I think that is pretty good proof that there is some sort of mind reading capability.

2. Kate's horse was also evidence. We know from her back story that it was the same horse. Also, Sawyer saw the horse and said so, so it wasn't a figment of Kate's imagination.

3. Jack's dad was also evidence because Jack's dad led him to the water/cave when they needed water the most. It also happened to be where Jack's dad's coffin was.

4. In the Sawyer boar scene, the whispers say "It'll come around", which was only a reference that he would have known. Kate also witnessed what the boar did to Sawyer's knap sack, so it wasn't just imagined by Sawyer or a dream.

I understand where Dave was imagined by Hurley in the first place, but I think this occurrence could have been part of this island manipulation that we have seen multiple times before, rather than just Hurley's psychosis again.
Just noting that I don't really want to inspect the possibility of mind-reading much, but do want to express that none of the evidence points emphatically to it. Now, going down the line of thinking that someone on the island has significant access to a wide range of resources, has knowledge of the past of many of the crash victims and is running his own little power-tripped world, well, that might be fun.
I guess I will jut have to disagree because I think the evidence does point emphatically to it. The survivors had a problem with drinkable water and Jack sees an image of his dad who ends up leading him to the cave which happens to have potable water. I don't think he was hallucinating that due to stress and coincidentally found the water on an island he has never been on.Also, how do you explain that Sawyer also saw Kate's horse which we were shown in the flashback as well? IMHO, I think it is pretty clear that there is some sort of mind reading/mental projection on the island, probably one of the Dharma experiments.

Dave is imaginary. Period. Re-watch the episode and notice how he never touches anything, like the basketball, the keys, or opens the doors or windows. He has to convince Hurley to do all those things. It's like Bruce Willis in Sixth Sense. Wait a sec, maybe he's a ghost!!
besides for the coconut he nailed tons-o-love in the gut with... and the slipper that hurley was holding... and the other cocnut that he was gonnd toss at the blimp...
Those were all to fool us. Libby said she didn't see a slipper and no one asked him about why he was carrying it around. As for getting hit with things "thrown" by Dave, there's tons of crazy people that have fights with imaginary people. If Hurley believes imaginary Dave threw something at him, he can imagine getting hit and then double over.
So besides for the stuff that he touched, he didn't touch anything. :loco: I agree he was imaginary and all... but dude touched stuff.
What did you see Dave touch in the "real" world in the institution? Nothing. He didn't touch the basketball during the basketball game. He didn't get the graham cracker for Hurley, when they left Hurley's room after Dave slapping Hurley I believe Hurley opened the door. Hurley took the lasagna, Dave didn't give it to him. Dave didn't give Hurley the keys for the window lock. Dave didn't open the lock, Dave only climbed out. Dave didn't touch anything tangible in the real world.Dave touched a slipper and some coconuts that were probably not even there on the island.

You only saw Dave touch anything on the island
exactley.who ever I replied to intially said he didn't touch anything. well... he did touch stuff - imaginary or not.

Just sayin'

I think that maybe Libby has been stalking Hurley since they were in the nut house.
This is one of the things that gets me the most. If everything on this island, and the purpose for everyone being there, is competely manufactured, how in the hell do they get everyone on the same flight by that kind of manipulation of their lives. Most corporations and government agencies cant put together a proper gd company picnic, let alone this bull####. :hot:
IT"S A TV SHOW! :mellow:

Agreed - She is exhibiting many stalker signs (not that I'd know anything about that).She clearly gravitated towards Hurley after the tailies merged with the other survivors. Her look as they walked away from the cliff seemed very evil to me.

Funny thing is - my wife is addicted to "The Guiding Light". Years ago, the woman that plays Libby was on that soap opera and played a Psycho Nurse. Guess she has graduated to a Psycho Doctor now.

For those who think that Dave is real, remember that he jumped off the cliff so even if he were real (which I don't think he was), he's dead now.

The only way he can come back is if he were imaginary in the first place.

For those who think that Dave is real, remember that he jumped off the cliff so even if he were real (which I don't think he was), he's dead now.

In general I'd agree, but on that island? I don't know if you can make that assumption.

In general I'd agree, but on that island? I don't know if you can make that assumption.
He did hit water :D

Honestly I think I feel that way because I was incredibly disappointed (and stopped really "watching" the show) when they revealed it was a bunch of chumps in lab coats behind it all. Its like Dorothy finding out the Wizard of Oz is a little fat snake oil salesman from Salina, Kansas.Could I suspend disbelief for a supernatural cause? Sure. Suspend for an exercise in mind control/biological warfare/just for kicks? Nah.

I'm still holding out hope that Satan is really behind Dharma and will appear with cloven hooves, horn and tail, a sea monster will eat that annoying fat ******* Hurley, and the ghost of Abraham Lincoln will have relations with the crazy French chick. :fingerscrossed:

I would chalk this up to another survivor's thoughts being read and the island/Others/Smoke Monster projected the thoughts into Hurley's head.
The mind reading angle just doesn't make sense to me. I haven't seen near enough evidence to conclude anything as I still believe the Ecko/smoke monster images to be his life flashing before his eyes as a way of showing him being in control of his life's short comings and thus exhibiting strength to Smokey. I think Hurley's guilt complex explains Dave and his hoarding of food combined with the constant nagging of the numbers "curse" brought about another episode. The guilt complex induced visions also goes for Jack seeing his dad and Claire seeing the horse (that horse wasn't real, right?).
Evidence, I think there is a ton of evidence.1. The images were inside of the smoke monster, you even saw the electrical static going that was never present in the smoke monster in other scenes. I think that is pretty good proof that there is some sort of mind reading capability.

2. Kate's horse was also evidence. We know from her back story that it was the same horse. Also, Sawyer saw the horse and said so, so it wasn't a figment of Kate's imagination.

3. Jack's dad was also evidence because Jack's dad led him to the water/cave when they needed water the most. It also happened to be where Jack's dad's coffin was.

4. In the Sawyer boar scene, the whispers say "It'll come around", which was only a reference that he would have known. Kate also witnessed what the boar did to Sawyer's knap sack, so it wasn't just imagined by Sawyer or a dream.

I understand where Dave was imagined by Hurley in the first place, but I think this occurrence could have been part of this island manipulation that we have seen multiple times before, rather than just Hurley's psychosis again.
Just noting that I don't really want to inspect the possibility of mind-reading much, but do want to express that none of the evidence points emphatically to it. Now, going down the line of thinking that someone on the island has significant access to a wide range of resources, has knowledge of the past of many of the crash victims and is running his own little power-tripped world, well, that might be fun.
I guess I will jut have to disagree because I think the evidence does point emphatically to it. The survivors had a problem with drinkable water and Jack sees an image of his dad who ends up leading him to the cave which happens to have potable water. I don't think he was hallucinating that due to stress and coincidentally found the water on an island he has never been on.Also, how do you explain that Sawyer also saw Kate's horse which we were shown in the flashback as well? IMHO, I think it is pretty clear that there is some sort of mind reading/mental projection on the island, probably one of the Dharma experiments.
Not to mention wet Walt sightings.I agree, there is some sort of mind reading going on there.

Also, how do you explain that Sawyer also saw Kate's horse which we were shown in the flashback as well? IMHO, I think it is pretty clear that there is some sort of mind reading/mental projection on the island, probably one of the Dharma experiments.
Exactly. That, and the black cloud thingy that Mr. Eko saw, that seemed to be displaying pictures of stuff from his history. It seems like the black cloud thingy projects the things that people can't get past - Jack saw his father, Kate saw the horse, and Hurley saw Dave. Mr. Eko, though, has cleansed himself of his past, and that's why the black cloud thing couldn't show him anything that would truly scare him. He's at peace, because he has faith.

Interesting that Locke - the "man of faith" from the episode man of faith, man of science - has had his biggest challenges dealing with having faith in people.

Not to mention wet Walt sightings.I agree, there is some sort of mind reading going on there.
I'm only accepting mind reading as an explanation if it is being done by implanted nanobots. :unsure:

Henry could be an assembly of nanobots - hence no name, if self-realization does not exist then I am not sure why he would be afraid of "him", the master programmer of the nanobots. It would explain why he knows about the hieroglyphics

Last edited by a moderator:
Its all virtual reality... The people who "died" were removed from the system because they either couldn't handle the stress, or weren't able to believe what was going on.

Somehow the VR doesn't trick the children, which is why they're removed from the system immediately.

Its all virtual reality... The people who "died" were removed from the system because they either couldn't handle the stress, or weren't able to believe what was going on.

Somehow the VR doesn't trick the children, which is why they're removed from the system immediately.
The children are innocent. So was Eko. That's why the others tried to take them.

so the entire plane was drugged and taken out of the plane so they could put VR goggles on them? seems a little illegal

I dunno, if this happens in the future maybe this could be some made for TV Matrix

Honestly I think I feel that way because I was incredibly disappointed (and stopped really "watching" the show) when they revealed it was a bunch of chumps in lab coats behind it all. Its like Dorothy finding out the Wizard of Oz is a little fat snake oil salesman from Salina, Kansas.Could I suspend disbelief for a supernatural cause? Sure. Suspend for an exercise in mind control/biological warfare/just for kicks? Nah.

I'm still holding out hope that Satan is really behind Dharma and will appear with cloven hooves, horn and tail, a sea monster will eat that annoying fat ******* Hurley, and the ghost of Abraham Lincoln will have relations with the crazy French chick. :fingerscrossed:
I've heard giant insect zoombies are behind the island.....but that's an unconfirmed rumor. :unsure:

Its all virtual reality...  The people who "died" were removed from the system because they either couldn't handle the stress, or weren't able to believe what was going on. 

The children are innocent. So was Eko. That's why the others tried to take them.
Are nanobots programmed to understand salvation, contrition etc? If anything, Eko was at one time 10 times more evil than anyone else on the island. I understand your point, and pretty much agee,but there are some seriously different (cavernously different) levels of sin and guilt on that island.

I've heard giant insect zoombies are behind the island.....but that's an unconfirmed rumor. :unsure:
Going to by DVD boxed set just in case. :popcorn: THAT'S a horse of a different color right there!

Its all virtual reality...  The people who "died" were removed from the system because they either couldn't handle the stress, or weren't able to believe what was going on. 

Are nanobots programmed to understand salvation, contrition etc? If anything, Eko was at one time 10 times more evil than anyone else on the island. I understand your point, and pretty much agee,but there are some seriously different (cavernously different) levels of sin and guilt on that island.
I don't know anything about nanobots, and as far as I know, they aren't part of the show.

so the entire plane was drugged and taken out of the plane so they could put VR goggles on them? seems a little illegal

I dunno, if this happens in the future maybe this could be some made for TV Matrix
As opposed to the legal forcing of several modes of transportation to crash on the island? Keeping of a large number of people in complete isolation from the outside world against their will when they apparently have means of getting to the outside themselves?

I don't know anything about nanobots, and as far as I know, they aren't part of the show.
You just mean as a reflection of self, no fear for what they've done or what they are? Because Eko knows he is saved and is reformed, the fear has nothing to latch on to? I guess the same could be said of Locke as well when he was confronted.

How does Walt make it into another episode? The people n the island have only aged about 2 months, but Walt is in his early teens and will grow much bigger fast. How would they explain his growth spurt?
Maybe they've filmed his scenes in advance.

What about Henry's comment about God not being able to see the island?
Its either him making the point of just how powerful and secretive these people are, OR ITS REALLY HELL!!!!! :pickle:

What about Henry's comment about God not being able to see the island?
Couple thoughts on last night's episode.When Henry mentions that not even God can see this island and he hears (what we assume) is the electromagnet warming up.

What if the electromagnet creates some kind of field that makes the island invisible and thereby is able to be hidden from view. Didn't the Philadelphia Experiment have something to do with elctromagnets and making things invisible?

Also, I think the only reason the background in the Hurley picture is night and day is just a prop mistake. They filmed the scene with Dave present during the day. Then after shooting was done for the day, they the picture of just Hurley. I don't think there is much more to it than that. Just my

Lastly, my wife heard on the radio that the Dharma logo was on the basketball.

Does anyone have a screenshot of it to confirm?

Some random thoughts.

Last night "Henry" said, while being interrogated "I'm not a bad person" This seems to be a recurring theme.

There's something about the music in the show, too. There have been a few times when music was played or refered that was from the quite some time ago. There's the "Somewhere beyond the sea" from Rousseau's map "catch a falling star" from Claire's original flashback and on the mobile in the medical hatch, whatever song Sayid (and I think it was Charlie) heard on the shortwave radio found in the Tailie's hatch, and I think there was at least one other one. Not sure if this has to do with anything, but it's still interesting that all these "oldies" are chosen to be in the show. I think they play a bigger role than just music.

I know it's been mentioned before, but there's there's a lot of science versus faith undertones to the show. Last night in Locke and "Gale's" talk, Locke says "God knows" and Gale says something like "not even God knows" There appears to be a divide between those people with faith: Eko, Locke, Rose from the science crowd, which I think will probably factor in in greater proportions as more episodes air.
:blackdot: as a page marker, so I can pick up reading where I'm leaving off. Good posts these past few pages! :thumbup:

People,

We went over this on the ridiculous specualtion that Henry Gale is not an Other. And now it seems to have transfered over to a new being known as "Dave is real".

Dave is an imaginary friend. Period. If you are arguing to the contrary, you sound like an idiot. So stop.

Now....onto 2 things that matter.

1. How are they going to justify Walt when and if he re-appears? He was on My Name is Earl last week and he looks like a 16 year old. I hope they have a lot of older footage shot on him. Because if not that'll be pretty weird.

2. Anybody gonna bet against my action when I drive down to the Borgata and hand them the deed to my house and ask them to put it on "Hurley's Dad was on the porch that he broke, and is dead because of it." What can I say? I like that bet a lot.

How does Walt make it into another episode? The people n the island have only aged about 2 months, but Walt is in his early teens and will grow much bigger fast. How would they explain his growth spurt?
Perhaps it is that same thing that prompted Sawer's hair to grow. Watch the polit episode, Sawer's hair is pretty short. By episode 2, it is pretty long.

You just mean as a reflection of self, no fear for what they've done or what they are? Because Eko knows he is saved and is reformed, the fear has nothing to latch on to? I guess the same could be said of Locke as well when he was confronted.
Locke has faith, but his faith in people has been shaken, at least twice, by his father. His girlfriend's faith in him was shaken, too, with the money and his father. He's constantly having his faith tested, and that's manifested itself several times, like when he tried to open the hatch (and the thing grabbed him), when he trusted Gale, and when he got conned by Sawyer. Eko didn't have faith in anything but himself, until he turned his life over to God. Now he's unshakable.

Charlie used to have faith in his brother. Then his faith was shaken by drugs. Then things happen, like his babynapping and heroin addictions, and suddenly nobody has faith in him, and he doesn't have faith in others.

Jack used to have faith in his father. Then his father operated drunk. And he failed to save someone who had faith in him.

It seems like faith is a huge part of this show, and people who are "Lost" are the ones who don't have faith.

People,

We went over this on the ridiculous specualtion that Henry Gale is not an Other. And now it seems to have transfered over to a new being known as "Dave is real".

Dave is an imaginary friend. Period. If you are arguing to the contrary, you sound like an idiot. So stop.

Now....onto 2 things that matter.

1. How are they going to justify Walt when and if he re-appears? He was on My Name is Earl last week and he looks like a 16 year old. I hope they have a lot of older footage shot on him. Because if not that'll be pretty weird.

2. Anybody gonna bet against my action when I drive down to the Borgata and hand them the deed to my house and ask them to put it on "Hurley's Dad was on the porch that he broke, and is dead because of it." What can I say? I like that bet a lot.
Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think people are arguing that Dave isn't an imaginary friend, just that the island version may not be Hurley's mental problem like he was in the institution.As it has been pointed out before, Dave never touched anything except Hurley in the institution, but on the island he definitely interacted with objects besides Hurley. I still don't think he is "real" or wasn't imaginary in the institution, but that Dave appearing on the island has more to do with the mind games that we saw Kate, Sawyer, Michael and Jack go through, not to mention the monster reading Eko's mind.

Also, I saw Earl with Walt and he definitely looks much older now, but they will probably just work with it.

I hope to Dharma that in Episode 34 "Reunited", Walt doesn't hug his daddy lookin' like Latrell Sprewell. :no:

Henry – This? This is nothing when I crawled through the vents to the computer and it

was counting down the timer reached zero. Red symbols that look like hyroglyphics came up I don’t know I’m no expert but then there was a noise like a magnet and generators, it was scary end then all of a sudden the numbers flipped back to 108. I never typed in the numbers. I didn’t do anything.
Henry is eighter lying because he knows Locke truely believes and wants to confuse or divide them. So Locke will think Jack is right or there is another bunker that enters the #s too.
Until Henry tells us his real name and story, I'm not believing anything he tells the survivors.
I hilighted the "noise like a magnet" and the numbers flipping back on their own because, Henry is a liar and how does he know what a magnet turning on sounds like. He does know that this hatch is the electromagnetic hatch.The #s flipping by themself will distroy Lockes Faith and divide them. Locke is mainly responsible for the #s being entered, So Henry is a liar and wants Locke to believe that he doesn't have to put in the #s. After all "This! This is nothing."

You want Henry to tell us his real name. Yeh right! He'll tell 5 new names, you can't believe him he's a liar. I agree w/the second half of your statement (In bold). I'm not believing anything he says.

Can't find one.
Watched my HD DVR in slo-mo and couldn't see anything. If it's there, you're going to have to blow it up at least 500% to see it.

Can't find one.
Watched my HD DVR in slo-mo and couldn't see anything. If it's there, you're going to have to blow it up at least 500% to see it.
People claim to see the Dharma logo in flashbacks every week, yet not one has been substantiated with any evidence.I wouldn't worry about it.

For the next episode, from spoilerfix dot com.

Obviously, SPOILER ALERT.

For the next episode, from spoilerfix dot com.

Obviously, SPOILER ALERT.

Episode 2.19: S.O.S. (Rose/Bernard-centric)

Airdate: April 12, 2006

04/05 - We'll see Vincent in next week's episode. Source: Ask Ausiello @ TV Guide
So when is Vincent going to get a flashback/backstory episode??????

:angry:

Here's a new idea I concocted watching Locke's daddy issues. I don;t think anybody on the show has been shown with a good daddy relationship - and several have been shown with strained daddy relationships: Jack, Locke, Sawyer, Jin, Sun, and maybe somebody else.

Suppose their lineage is a key. What if their parents are all part os some secret society and have agreed to subject their offspring to the "Lost" environment for the further good of the society?

It seems apparent that the "He" Henry referred to and the "He" refererd to in Claire's abduction story is destined to be a someone each of the survivors encountered in their pre-island life.

It seems apparent that the "He" Henry referred to and the "He" refererd to in Claire's abduction story is destined to be a someone each of the survivors encountered in their pre-island life.
I'm glad this is finally being mentioned (and if someone mentioned it before my apologies but I missed it). Whoever "He" is, it's someone The Others are damn scared of. Mr. Friendly ("Zeke") seemed worried about "his" reaction to Ethan not following the plan with regard to Claire's abduction and Henry is convinced whoever "he" is will kill him if he says a word about what he's up to. Whoever this person is he's wielding a ton of power and exerting enough influence to generate fear among The Others who are carrying out whatever plan(s) he is implementing.

Ok. Despite the overwhelming group think towards minutia, I'd like to introduce a new angle to discussing that as of yet has been completely unexplored.

What is Henry's motivation?

My thoughts are as follows. Below are what I feel relatively confident of, at least as much as someone can in light of how this show plays out.

1) Henry was sent by The Others as a plant.

2) Henry had a well-developed back-story in place to "prove" his legitimacy.

3) Henry had some knowledge of the Losties and their characteristics and was thus able to choose to a certain extent who to talk to and what angles to play (go back several episodes to where Zeke and others confront Jack and make some telling comments on their understanding of the interaction of the losties, names, etc...)

The questions I have revolve specificially around the motivation for placing Henry in the tribe. My guess is that, if they wished, The Others could wipe-out the losties with little difficult. Sure, they may lose some people, but they seem competent and "millitary trained" as was referenced by somebody somewhere (Jack, I believe, and there was something found by Lock that was millitary issue... sorry for the lack of specifics, but it is late).

So, boldly going where no FBG has gone before, my theory is as follows:

Henry was sent as a plant
When initially locked up and the computer beeping initially happend related to the countdown being close, he seemed extremely worried, shouting "what's happening? What's wrong?" (not direct quotes, but similar concepts)
Once again, when the doors slammed shut on Lock he seemed freaked out. Notice that we were able to see Henry locked up alone (i.e., no observers), and his expressions and actions led at least me to believe that his nervousness and consternation were indeed real
Despite him being a liar, buy in for at least this post that he was telling Locke he was done lying. Thus, he really didn't enter the numbers into the computerSo what's this say? I dunno. To me, I believe he was planted to find out what went on in the hatch. What does the computer do? I think it's a mystery to The Others as well as to the Losties. He was to gain their trust, thinking that Desmond had instilled in Jack/Locke/etc... some knowledge of the purpose of the hatch.

The Others are as lost as the rest of them, but they've got more pieces of the puzzle. I'm sure there are other aspects that play out (politics in "The Others", their relationship with the Hanso Group, the degree to which they know their destiny vs following orders, what percentage of them are cast-away recruits vs original members, what really happened in the past with the "accident" and the ramifications of this on everything else), but that's my thoughts. Henry was sent to find out what they knew and what the hell the computer did and he found it out -- and it wasn't what he thought. Now he's scared, made for an "Other", and who knows what will happen down the line.

That's my thinking. I'm sure I'm completely wrong, but this has been a good thread and this has been my primary thought for several weeks and nobody has touched on it.

Please debunk me. TIA.

The Others could wipe-out the losties with little difficult.
I'm not so sure I agree with this part of your theory. I think it's entirely possible The Others are not as powerful as they appear. Recall when Jack and Mr. Friendly were face-to-face and Jack essentially called him on that very point and there was a noticeable flinch on Mr. Friendly's face that led me to speculate at the time that Jack had nailed it. The Others weren't quite as powerful and were making an overt show of force to try and lead the survivors into thinking they were more dominant then they really were. It was only when they produced Kate as a hostage that they were able to elude Jack's line of questioning about the true nature of their power and strength. If they really were all powerful it seems to me they could've wiped out all of the survivors by now (or at least the ones who aren't "good"). Perhaps one of the reasons why they haven't is because they are aware that when push comes to shove they may not win the fight. I don't think this point has been forgotten by Jack and I believe it will return at a later date when he really begins to take the "war" to them.

I'm not so sure I agree with this part of your theory. I think it's entirely possible The Others are not as powerful as they appear. Recall when Jack and Mr. Friendly were face-to-face and Jack essentially called him on that very point and there was a noticeable flinch on Mr. Friendly's face that led me to speculate at the time that Jack had nailed it. The Others weren't quite as powerful and were making an overt show of force to try and lead the survivors into thinking they were more dominant then they really were. It was only when they produced Kate as a hostage that they were able to elude Jack's line of questioning about the true nature of their power and strength. If they really were all powerful it seems to me they could've wiped out all of the survivors by now (or at least the ones who aren't "good"). Perhaps one of the reasons why they haven't is because they are aware that when push comes to shove they may not win the fight. I don't think this point has been forgotten by Jack and I believe it will return at a later date when he really begins to take the "war" to them.
Or perhaps they don't want to kill them. Ethan showed that he was a very competent hunter and a skilled woodsman (carried two hostages ahead of a running Jack and heroine-boy), as well as a skilled fighter (whupped Jack and managed to penetrate the perimeter of their defenses to kill Scott). Assuming he wasn't just a blip, but rather indicative of the abilities of The Others, I think that The Others could take them. Throw in their seeming ability to acquire tools from the outside (a boat, medical supplies, theater makeup, fuel for the boat, food, etc...), it's not so hard to imagine that they could acquire some interesting weaponry and, combined with their hunting/combat prowess and knowledge of the geography make short work of the 45 or so civilians holed-up on shore.

Or perhaps they don't want to kill them. Ethan showed that he was a very competent hunter and a skilled woodsman (carried two hostages ahead of a running Jack and heroine-boy), as well as a skilled fighter (whupped Jack and managed to penetrate the perimeter of their defenses to kill Scott). Assuming he wasn't just a blip, but rather indicative of the abilities of The Others, I think that The Others could take them. Throw in their seeming ability to acquire tools from the outside (a boat, medical supplies, theater makeup, fuel for the boat, food, etc...), it's not so hard to imagine that they could acquire some interesting weaponry and, combined with their hunting/combat prowess and knowledge of the geography make short work of the 45 or so civilians holed-up on shore.
And yet nearly everything they've done has been in the undercover of the night which leads me to wonder if they lack the resources for a complete assault and must attempt to work in stealth in order to mask their own weaknesses. If they are truly capable of wiping the survivors out without a worry then they don't need to carry out their plans only at night, they can attack in the daylight without fear of being turned back (and yes I realize the dramatic implications of such events occuring in nightfall and don't dispute that aspect of the storytelling). They've assaulted some but not all of the survivors and they've abducted some but not all. The question then is why not just carry out the job and take who they want and kill who they want and be done with survivors completely?Of course, that question may lie at the very heart of the entire drama which is the reason why we haven't seen a direct and more complete attempt at an assault by The Others.

Users who are viewing this thread