What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** OFFICIAL **** LOST - The TV Series (6 Viewers)

So what you guys are saying is the plane didn't crash - it was in effect hijacked by the roman gods themselves, who then dropped them on this island for fun (along with the other groups) to screw with them for their own pleasure.
Greek, but still a rip-off of Star Trek.
speaking of star trek.....the director was a klingon on voyager... :o 37. The Long Con (edit)

First aired: 2/8/2006

Writer: Steve Maeda, Leonard ****

Director: Roxann Dawson

Guest star: Richard Cavanna (Peter), Finn Armstrong (Arthur), Kim Dickens (Cassidy), Beth Broderick (Diane), Kevin Dunn (Gordy)
So your theory is "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon." Nice.
no theory...just pointing out a fact.... :unsure: :rolleyes: :unsure:

If I can remember I am going to rewatch the scene where he catches the frog. I want to see the markings again because I thought it lokked like a green and black poison dart frog.
On my TV, the green wasn't nearly that bright, but I don't have HD. I'll re-watch that scene, but to me, the frog looked black with a darker forest-green colouring.Both my wife and I thought it would be a poisonous frog, as well. But for the amount of time Sawyer had it in his hand, I would think that the poison (if, in fact, the frog was poisonous) would have begun to affect him more than the little sway he had.

If the South American indians who use the poison from these frogs have to merely rub the tip of an arrow with a bit of the secretions to kill a monkey or other animal, holding one of those suckers in a closed fist and then squishing it should, in theory, bring instant death.

If I can remember I am going to rewatch the scene where he catches the frog. I want to see the markings again because I thought it lokked like a green and black poison dart frog.
On my TV, the green wasn't nearly that bright, but I don't have HD. I'll re-watch that scene, but to me, the frog looked black with a darker forest-green colouring.Both my wife and I thought it would be a poisonous frog, as well. But for the amount of time Sawyer had it in his hand, I would think that the poison (if, in fact, the frog was poisonous) would have begun to affect him more than the little sway he had.

If the South American indians who use the poison from these frogs have to merely rub the tip of an arrow with a bit of the secretions to kill a monkey or other animal, holding one of those suckers in a closed fist and then squishing it should, in theory, bring instant death.
If you tip a dart with the poison, it's delivered to your bloodstream. Your skin is a pretty effective barrier--merely holding a poison dart frog won't kill you.You certainly don't want to be wiping your eyes right afterwards, though.

If you tip a dart with the poison, it's delivered to your bloodstream. Your skin is a pretty effective barrier--merely holding a poison dart frog won't kill you.
I think it can, just not as fast. Poison is easily absorbed into the skin.

If you tip a dart with the poison, it's delivered to your bloodstream. Your skin is a pretty effective barrier--merely holding a poison dart frog won't kill you.You certainly don't want to be wiping your eyes right afterwards, though.
True. I found this about green poisonous dart frogs -link It would appear that these frogs vary in toxicity, so if neither Sawyer or Hurley had an open cut on their hand, they should be OK. Damn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised there's no discussion about why the clock changed.

Previous screen shots showed the clock had a bar separating each number. This time there was only one bar with three numbers to the left and two to the right.

Seems too obvious to be an oversight to me. How many clocks do they have on the set? Director: "grab a clock from that box for this scene"

I don't know how many of you remember this but back in Season 1, ABC had an episode blurb the night after the episode that Danielle came to the camp and ran off with Aaron. The episode blurb (I personally read it) had some text in it that did not make the actual show where Claire was supposedly remembering Danielle being part of the abduction group the first time. Claire scratched Danielle in the struggle (again not in the TV show itself). In the actual TV show there was a discussion between Kate or Claire and Danielle where Kate/Claire asked Danielle how she got scratches on her arm.
It was between Locke and Danielle when they were on their way to the ship to get the explosives. Locke asked Danielle how she got the scratches and I believe she said she got them on a bush. Locke didn't buy it. And I believe -- and I'm going totally off memory here -- that Claire did have a memory of scratching Danielle. That may have been in Exodus Part 1 or 2. Again, I'm not sure about that because it's been awhile since I watched either episode.

I haven't read the thread to the end so my apologies if this has already been covered.
You're correct. Claire did remember Danielle scratching her. It was in Exodus Part 2, just before Danielle took Aaron. There was a flashback of the incident.
That's what I thought but I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks. :thumbup:
I still think Danielle is not an Other, but we know so little about her and what happened to her.On the one hand, it really did appear that she took Aaron to try and get Alex back since she went directly to the black smoke. If she wanted to just kidnap him, then Sayid/Charlie would have never found her. Also, her story with Alex checks out in that we know that there is a girl "Alex" with the Others. Her story about the numbers also seems to check out with Hurley's back story.

On the other hand, she sure doesn't seem to be helping the survivors that much. Maybe I am wrong, but it sure seems like Henry Gale is an Other, so basically Danielle brought him to Sayid and the survivors.

Danielle seems willing to do anything to get Alex back, so I wouldn't put it past her to help the Others infiltrate the survivors to get Alex back.

Previous screen shots showed the clock had a bar separating each number. This time there was only one bar with three numbers to the left and two to the right.

Seems too obvious to be an oversight to me. How many clocks do they have on the set? Director: "grab a clock from that box for this scene"
Me too. It is a 100% certainty that the screen shots of the clock from last week's (2/8) Next Week on Lost preview were not the clock in the hatch. In fact, I am 100% sure that the clock with the 2 bars and no white numbers never showed up in this week's episode.That means that there is another clock in another hatch that did go down to 0 or that they made a bad editing error. I would consider it very bad since there is probably a lot of thought that goes into the Next Week on Lost in order to intrigue viewers but to not give away the real surprises.

Previous screen shots showed the clock had a bar separating each number.  This time there was only one bar with three numbers to the left and two to the right.

Seems too obvious to be an oversight to me.  How many clocks do they have on the set?  Director:  "grab a clock from that box for this scene"
Me too. It is a 100% certainty that the screen shots of the clock from last week's (2/8) Next Week on Lost preview were not the clock in the hatch. In fact, I am 100% sure that the clock with the 2 bars and no white numbers never showed up in this week's episode.That means that there is another clock in another hatch that did go down to 0 or that they made a bad editing error. I would consider it very bad since there is probably a lot of thought that goes into the Next Week on Lost in order to intrigue viewers but to not give away the real surprises.
I suppose it could be meaningful, but my hunch is that it was just a continuity problem.

had a thought about this purgatory thing. first, im gonna be pissed if thats what it ends up being. second, if the producers vehemently deny that that is what it is, why not bring it up in a show.

it wouldnt be the first time they throw something in that has been a hot topic. why not have a couple people really question how the hell they survived a plane crash and have them wonder if they are in purgatory.

had a thought about this purgatory thing. first, im gonna be pissed if thats what it ends up being. second, if the producers vehemently deny that that is what it is, why not bring it up in a show.

it wouldnt be the first time they throw something in that has been a hot topic. why not have a couple people really question how the hell they survived a plane crash and have them wonder if they are in purgatory.
They kind of already did. Back in season one after Sun revealed she knew english, she was talking to Kate and asked "What if we're here because of stuff we've done in our past". It doesn't do anything to satisfy if they're all dead/on life support, but they have touched on Karma/Purgatory before.

the poison frogs will help them kill THE OTHERS......

:o :shock: :ph34r:
Nice one. Of course, knowing the Others, they probably eat poison tree frogs for breakfast just to toughen themselves up.
Rousseau does have a bow and arrows and they are easy to make.Spears are easier.

EDIT: spelling and to add the bow looks like a cross bow.

For some reason it just seems to me that the guy that showed Sayid the villagers being poisoned and who told him that he may be able to use stuff he learned to get information he needs in the future is the guy with the beard who is part of the others. Their mannerisms and speech just seem to coincide.

Plus, I thought the tail folks found an army knife on one of the others which would link up the fact that the others have some former military folks in their group as that guy obviously was.

Just a thought but maybe I am way off base for thinking this since no one else brought it up. I am going to have to rewatch the episode before the next show to give another look.
I'm still catching up, but I'm with you on that.And whoever made the Torturers Anonymous comment -- same thoughts there too.

Is purgatory in the Bible?

The concept of purgatory is one that most of our Protestant sisters and brothers find almost repulsive and without proof. “Find it in the Bible,” we are challenged and, of course, the word purgatory is not found in the Bible. But then again, neither are the words Trinity or Incarnation. Nevertheless, there is a scriptural basis for purgatory. The tradition of prayer for the deceased (thus indicating that they are not yet in total union with God in heaven) goes back to the Old Testament in the Book of Maccabees: “[Judas Maccabeus] took up a collection among his soldiers…which he sent to Jerusalem to provide for expiatory sacrifice. In doing this, he acted in a very excellent and noble way, inasmuch as he had the resurrection of the dead in view; for if he were not expecting the fallen to rise again, it would have been useless to pray for them in death” (2 Mac 12:43ff, italics added).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Book of Maccabees doesn't exist in the Protestant Bible, nor do letters from Popes. So that's a moot argument.

I'm guessing one of the clocks had the pictures on it, and one didn't? :shrug:

Why would you even question this? Do you really think this is a clue to a super secret second clock?

I'm surprized that no one brought up the faith vs science, when Jack (science) played on Locke's faith to make him open the vault.
It wasn't faith that made Locke give in, but the fear of losing the ability to walk.

Another thing:

Since we only have one link to the full hieroglyphics, I still don't trust that they spell out "DIE". But what if Locke just hallucinated the hieroglyphics like Micheal hallucinated typing to Walt?

Another thing:

Since we only have one link to the full hieroglyphics, I still don't trust that they spell out "DIE".  But what if Locke just hallucinated the hieroglyphics like Micheal hallucinated typing to Walt?
It is possible. I forgot all about the post I made awhile back trying to list out all the ####ed up things that people have seen that could easily be some sort of mental manipulation.I think in this case, that that really was the timer, but that Locke did enter the numbers in before something happened, or at least we think he did. It is pretty naive of us to think that there is no connection between this hatch and other hatches/Dharma bunkers.

**** By the way, I literally just watched my Tivo again and the countdown showed in the 2/8 Preview and it showed a single white number on the black card counting down from 9 to 0 and the other two barred sections just had the blank black cards.

I then watched the 2/15 show again and not only was the camera showing the clock, it also showed it from an angle behind Locke, which the 2/8 preview did not. When it counted to 0, there were 5 zeros, 3 on the black cards and 2 on the white.

After watching the last two episodes again, I do not think it is possible that the writers/producers/editors could have made a mistake like that, especially after already filming the countdown for the 2/15 episode. At first I thought it could be a mistake, but not now after the 2/8 Preview showed a countdown as well, not just a quick screen shot of a different counter showing 0.***************

If you have the last 2 episodes on Tivo, watch the 2/8 preview and then the 2/15 scene with Locke in the countdown and you will see what I mean. Even the camera angle of Locke typing while the counter was going to 0 was completely different than the splicing of Locke with the second counter. I think the writers left us a clue that something probably did occur when the counter hit zero, but not in the hatch we know. Maybe another "incident" just got kicked off.

I suppose it could be meaningful, but my hunch is that it was just a continuity problem.
How could it be a continuity problem? There are two different clocks. One has been used every single time we see a clock in the bunker. The other was shown only in a preview and it was the only thing visible in the frame. If there is only going to be one clock on the show, why build a second clock that is noticably different from the original and use it in a preview?

I'm guessing one of the clocks had the pictures on it, and one didn't? :shrug:

Why would you even question this? Do you really think this is a clue to a super secret second clock?
Original clockSuper secret second clock

It wasn't faith that made Locke give in, but the fear of losing the ability to walk.
OK, I understand those that don't want to believe in the pergutory theory and I have no problem with that....but what is there to make you believe that the above theory is any more plausible?You're saying that it's more believable that the use of Locke's legs all of the sudden is because of a magnetic force on the island rather than him just simply being dead already and the use of his legs are necessary in pergutory to carry out whatever he needs to do on the island before moving on to heaven?

:thumbup:

Thanks for posting the pics.
Hey, no thanks to me earlier? ;) I think the 3 biggest reasons that the clocks are not a continuity error is that:

1) The Preview splices Locke then the "other" clock, then Locke, and so on. In the real episode with the hatch clock we see it count down from directly behind Locke so the camera angle isn't even close.

2) As the pictures show it isn't close to the same clock and they showed the "other" clock countdown from 9 to 0 and the hatch clock countdown as well, so it wasn't just a chance using of the wrong picture, i.e the editor grabbed an old clock they decided to change.

3) The Preview was create after the episode was shot, so they would have to go out of their way to use an "other" clock instead of the one shown right in the episode.

Again, this is not 100% as people do make mistakes, but if it was it would be an egregious (thanks to Jason Wood for reminding me about that word) error to say the least.

OK, I understand those that don't want to believe in the pergutory theory and I have no problem with that....but what is there to make you believe that the above theory is any more plausible?You're saying that it's more believable that the use of Locke's legs all of the sudden is because of a magnetic force on the island rather than him just simply being dead already and the use of his legs are necessary in pergutory to carry out whatever he needs to do on the island before moving on to heaven?
The conjecture about Locke's legs is kind of moot at this point since we don't how Locke lost the movement in his legs in the first place.Also, please stop with the "purgatory" thing. Hey, I will change my signature to quote you as the original orginator of that fantastic theory, but damn, the show folks have emphatically said that it isn't purgatory. While they may try to deceive us, I think at this point, they would have already rewritten the ending by now if it was really purgatory because they know 99% of the fans wouldn't buy the DVD if that is how it ended.

Besides pergo is a laminate flooring, so "pergutory" is just the factory in North Carolina where it is made.LINK

I'm sure you guys have covered this but what happened to the guy who used to watch after the clock. The guy Jack knew from running the stadium? I know he ran off...but geez...I don't remember seeing the guy again since then...did I miss an episode?

Also, please stop with the "purgatory" thing. Hey, I will change my signature to quote you as the original orginator of that fantastic theory, but damn, the show folks have emphatically said that it isn't purgatory. While they may try to deceive us, I think at this point, they would have already rewritten the ending by now if it was really purgatory because they know 99% of the fans wouldn't buy the DVD if that is how it ended.
You greatly overestimate the online universe. Maybe 1% of the fans of the show are on message boards discussing it. Even less are discussing this particular theory. My mom and dad are huge fans of the show and they wouldn't know a message board if it was sitting right in front of them.The show writers would certainly NOT re-write the ending because a couple of nerd online fanboys may have figured it out.

I'm sure you guys have covered this but what happened to the guy who used to watch after the clock. The guy Jack knew from running the stadium? I know he ran off...but geez...I don't remember seeing the guy again since then...did I miss an episode?
He ran off into the woods and we haven't heard from him since--they will come back to him I am sure,

Desmond hasn't been seen since he R-U-N-N-O-F-T. But he'll be back. He was too important to the first few episodes to remain out of the picture for good.

Also, please stop with the "purgatory" thing. Hey, I will change my signature to quote you as the original orginator of that fantastic theory, but damn, the show folks have emphatically said that it isn't purgatory. While they may try to deceive us, I think at this point, they would have already rewritten the ending by now if it was really purgatory because they know 99% of the fans wouldn't buy the DVD if that is how it ended.
You greatly overestimate the online universe. Maybe 1% of the fans of the show are on message boards discussing it. Even less are discussing this particular theory. My mom and dad are huge fans of the show and they wouldn't know a message board if it was sitting right in front of them.The show writers would certainly NOT re-write the ending because a couple of nerd online fanboys may have figured it out.
OK, I know I exaggerated, but the whole purgatory thing was a thought right from the start of the first season and was pretty much summarily dismissed by the folks on the show.Also, don't underestimate the online universe either. There is a reason why 24 doesn't show reruns now, ever. That reason is DVD sales/rentals. Now that 24 is in season 5(?) you can now see parts of season 2 or 3 on WGN. Don't think for a minute that the Lost folks don't realize that the Lost fans that check message boards on Thursday morning after the show aren't much more likely to buy the Lost DVDs than your parents.

Anyway, I agree with you that they weren't going to rewrite the ending, I was just trying to make a point. Geez, you can't even exaggerate on a message board anymore! ;)

Oh, and what does someone have to do to get a :lmao: around here? I thought the whole Pergo Factory/Pergutory thing was funny. Oh nevermind...

the bow looks like a cross bow.
:yes:
Jack - "You shot him with an arrow?"Sayid - "Does it look like I have a bow?"

Home Viewer - " :lmao: "
That was funny. I am glad Sayid is back in the fold now. Him and Eko are probably my 2 favorite characters. I loved the ending with Sayid and Charlie, he may have seemed ruthless, but he was just pointing out that the survivors may have to think like that in order to survive because the Others haven't exactly been nice to them. It seemed like Charlie may have gotten the message and realized that screwing with Locke doesn't really compare with him getting hung by a rope by Ethan.

The writers have stated they have enough material for 5 seasons right? Any one think that it will run for that long? I would like to see it run for that long and have a good conclusion to the show. To date the X-Files is the best written drama, if you can call it that, ever on tv but it did go too long. Once Mulder left it was done. Hopefully Lost does not go the way the X-Files did and that would be losing a main character, not from death, but from voluntarily leaving. All I know for now is that I am tuning in every week and I have not bought any DVD's. As long as Bittorrents are around, and as soon as I get my 60 GB iPod Video, I will have them on my puter.

the bow looks like a cross bow.
:yes:
Jack - "You shot him with an arrow?"Sayid - "Does it look like I have a bow?"

Home Viewer - " :lmao: "
That was funny. I am glad Sayid is back in the fold now. Him and Eko are probably my 2 favorite characters. I loved the ending with Sayid and Charlie, he may have seemed ruthless, but he was just pointing out that the survivors may have to think like that in order to survive because the Others haven't exactly been nice to them. It seemed like Charlie may have gotten the message and realized that screwing with Locke doesn't really compare with him getting hung by a rope by Ethan.
Have not seen anybody mention this but I think what I am about to say is big.Jack and Ana talk on the beach about starting an army. Presumably to go after the Others and/or find Michael/Walt. Both are gung ho about it and in doing so mention it only to a few people thus leaving some of their own clan out of the fold. This is after the discussion with the Others and their approval of having visitors on their island.

Now, Danielle is capturing an Other and bringing him to Sayid. Sayid is all about finding out about the Others and in doing so telling Charlie that they need to all be worried. Sayid was not in the original "army" nor was he there when they met the Others. Sayid and Charlie and possibly other survivors might buy into this as the Others are a supposed threat as they have harmed them before.

Conclusion with this theory is: The survivor camp is being split into two. On one side there are the army goers that were told to stay away and let things be. The other side has been attacked and wants some kind of revenge. A ying and yang that needs a common ground but there really is no common ground among the survivors right now. Some want to go hunt while others are content. Some want revenge while some want to live. Some want to leave while some are fine where they are. Ultimately, the survivors are going to split up. Danielle is on her own, in my mind, not being influenced by either side but thinking this I have come to one happy ending. There are two groups of Others. One group are hunters and one group are contenters. The same will happen with the survivors right now. If it is one thing about history we all know is that it repeats itself. Danielle = Michael right now.

The writers have stated they have enough material for 5 seasons right? Any one think that it will run for that long? I would like to see it run for that long and have a good conclusion to the show. To date the X-Files is the best written drama, if you can call it that, ever on tv but it did go too long. Once Mulder left it was done. Hopefully Lost does not go the way the X-Files did and that would be losing a main character, not from death, but from voluntarily leaving. All I know for now is that I am tuning in every week and I have not bought any DVD's. As long as Bittorrents are around, and as soon as I get my 60 GB iPod Video, I will have them on my puter.
I think the biggest differences between X-Files and lost is that they really aren't stuck with having "stars" on the show, Lost can kill any character at any time and still flow. Because of this they can add characters at any time and instead of doing "monster of the week" type shows like the X-Files did they can throw in new back drop stories or expand on other ones. X-File shows were great (IMO) during the beginning - sweeps - and end of the season and the rest were just MOTW fillers. Lost has had its share of filler shows, but the way the show was created there is always a sense of something bigger that could always show up that keeps everyone interested. X-Files had aliens, but with Lost you aren't really sure whats behind the curtain.

LAUNCH

Hey, no thanks to me earlier? ;) I think the 3 biggest reasons that the clocks are not a continuity error is that:

1) The Preview splices Locke then the "other" clock, then Locke, and so on. In the real episode with the hatch clock we see it count down from directly behind Locke so the camera angle isn't even close.

2) As the pictures show it isn't close to the same clock and they showed the "other" clock countdown from 9 to 0 and the hatch clock countdown as well, so it wasn't just a chance using of the wrong picture, i.e the editor grabbed an old clock they decided to change.

3) The Preview was create after the episode was shot, so they would have to go out of their way to use an "other" clock instead of the one shown right in the episode.

Again, this is not 100% as people do make mistakes, but if it was it would be an egregious (thanks to Jason Wood for reminding me about that word) error to say the least.
While listening to the Lost Podcast the writers made it seem like they have no input in what is shown in the "NExt week on Lost". They were suprised that there was so much shown leading up to this episode. Could it be that the original tape that was sent to ABC had a shot of the wrong clock, the producers picked up on it and re-edited the episode but ABC used the old one to produce the previews?? It is obvious that the clock is different. Maybe they had a different scene in the show which showed the clock in a different hatch, but that was taken out in final editing.Just my thoughts.

While listening to the Lost Podcast the writers made it seem like they have no input in what is shown in the "NExt week on Lost". They were suprised that there was so much shown leading up to this episode. Could it be that the original tape that was sent to ABC had a shot of the wrong clock, the producers picked up on it and re-edited the episode but ABC used the old one to produce the previews?? It is obvious that the clock is different. Maybe they had a different scene in the show which showed the clock in a different hatch, but that was taken out in final editing.Just my thoughts.
I can understand where the writers have no input, i.e. it is the producers/editors that decide what teasers that they want to show.Since a preview has to be shot after the actual episode is shot (i.e. they couldn't have a preview otherwise), putting in the wrong clock multiple times was a bad, bad error. Again, the scene with Locke in the 2/15 episode was not even shot from the same angle. There is no way that they re-edited the episode after the preview since it was probably in the can for quite some time.

Again, it could have been a mistake, but the "other" clock was not just shown in one quick shot of 0, it was shown counting down from 9, so there would have been more effort than just taking a shot of the wrong clock and they already had the hatch clock scene ready to use.

Nobody else may care about the 2 clocks, and I won't bring it up again ;) . If it was an intentional tease, then I think something bad may be happening elsewhere on the island and the producers were giving us a very subtle hint.

Am I correct in saying the "other" clock has only been seen in that one preview?
Well, since I can't answer that direct question as it will make me a liar for discussing the clocks, I will answer a previous post you made somewhere earlier in the thread. My answer to that previous post is "Yes".

Ok -- got on to the show just a month ago. Bought the season 1 box set and I am about 2/3 the way through it.

Has anyone heard about when, after the season, the Season 2 DVD will be available?

You are welcome to email me here: brookspw(put an @ here)comcast.net if you have heard for sure or have a link as I am trying to stay out of this thread as much as possible.

Thanks

Ok -- got on to the show just a month ago. Bought the season 1 box set and I am about 2/3 the way through it.

Has anyone heard about when, after the season, the Season 2 DVD will be available?

You are welcome to email me here: brookspw(put an @ here)comcas.net if you have heard for sure or have a link as I am trying to stay out of this thread as much as possible.

Thanks
Well season 1 hit the stores on September 6, 2005... The second season premiered on September 21, 2005...So expect the same again for season 2 on DVD...

$50 bet on purgatory? You seem so confident in this and I'd like to get some payment knocked off a future Cakeleague fee.

I will put $50 on "not purgatory".

I'd probably put 10K on it, but then I'd feel bad for taking that much.
I'm taking bets from people who want to bet "It's purgatory."I'll even pay vig.

Users who are viewing this thread