What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** OFFICIAL **** LOST - The TV Series (4 Viewers)

[QUOTE=']
Yao Ming said:
I'M DONE WITH 'LOST'!!  I AM GIVING UP ON THE SHOW.

This past Wednesday I busted my tail at work to make sure to leave work early, get home and enjoy dinner, and watch a new episode of 'Lost.'  I even worked through lunch to ensure my timely arrival home.  By 3 pm my stomach was ravaging for food, yet I triumphed through the day knowing my reward would be an enjoyable dinner and a new episode of 'Lost.'  I get home and my wife hadn't been to the grocery store and didn't have any intention of making dinner since at 7:42 pm she was surfing the internet.  I'm starving.  I'm irritable.    :hot:

Well, at least I have a new episode of 'Lost,' right?  At 8:00 pm I tune in to the much anticipated new episode and get slapped across the face with another stupid rerun, the very first pilot episode to make it even worse.  I'm pissed.  They sucker you in.  Give you at most 3-4 new episodes at a time, then feed you reruns for another 4-5 weeks.  What kind of BS is this?  :rant:

I'm giving up on the show.  I don't play their game.  Don't string me along.  Give us new episodes, or just end the stupid thing.  I'm taking a stand.  Down with 'Lost.'
Umm, name me one show that does not do this?
24, since they now start in January...The West Wing and Alias now show no repeat episodes, they just don't show any episode in their time slot...
I do not watch '24'
[/QUOTE]Freak.

Anyone else catch Matthew Fox on "The Daily Show" the other night? It was a very entertaining interview by Jon Stewart, who did an admirable job of needling the "internet folk" who watch "Lost" frame-by-frame on Tivo. Best question was when he asked Fox, "How many clean Italian undershirts did you pack for that trip, anyway?"

FWIW, Fox seemed a bit uncomfortable when discussing the intense scrutiny of many fans of the show. He didn't seem to have a really coherent answer to the question of "Are the writers just slapping this all together or is it going somewhere?" He DID say that it'll go from A to B, but didn't seem very comfortable handling the question.

Overall, though, Stewart just kept Fox, the audience, and myself chuckling through the whole interview. :D :D

I'm telling you, no matter what they do with shows like this, it seems like the audience always ends up unhappy when the secrets get revealed. Usually, they complain that they never tie things together well at all. So if you're already going down that path, you might as well stop watching.
I already know it's going to have an X-Files finish but I can't stop watching.

For all those who who may think that the writers are making everything up as they go along:

Everyone remembers the scene from 1x14: Special where Walt is in his parents house in Australia and the bird flies into the glass window and dies, right?  Anyone remember what he said?

Who cares about birds of Australia, anyway?  We're in Australia.

Shouldn't we be studying birds of Egypt or something?
What are the colors of the bird that hits the window?Also, Vincent was right next to Walt during this entire scene. This was the first episode we've seen Vincent in a while.

:tinfoilhat:

[Disclaimer: I did not discover this; I read it on another board. Although the Vincent stuff is mine.]
Nice find. I have actually enjoyed watching some of the reruns for the same reason. I am probably watch the Pilot episode again tonight just to check it out again.BTW, I am still not sure if Vincent has any connection to anything at all. One could conjecture that if a horse from Kate's past could appear, then maybe the Vincent on the show isn't the real Vincent. :tinfoilhat: :tinfoilhat: I will check out the pilot tonight and watch for him. One would think that he would have been in a dog carrier, but I don't remember ever seeing one on the show. Hmmm... ;)
Okay, some :tinfoilhat: of my own regarding Vincent. Just watched the pilot tonight--had to work Wednesday night, didn't realize it was an old episode, recorded it, watched it anyway....Anyway.

Strange things about Vincent from the pilot:

1. Aside from Jack, he's the first "character" we see in the series. He walks right past Jack, leading him in the direction of the beach and the crash.

Side note: If any of you happen to have season 1 on DVD and want to see something odd, check out the pan when Jack first walks down to the beach. Weird, weird stuff. I have no interpretation for this, although I think it could wind up being meaningful in the end. Then again, it could just be "for effect."

2. (and weirdest of all) When the invisible monster (subsequently revealed as the black smoke thing) starts crashing around in the woods on the first night and makes that weird sound, Walt hops up, goes toward it, and asks, "Is that Vincent?"

Now, sorry, I've never seen a dog knock over full-grown trees. And I've never heard one make a noise like that. It seemed silly to me.

3. UNTIL Rose, in the background on either this scene or the second invisible monster scene, says something like, "That sound it's making is really familiar; I just can't put my finger on it."

It's always seemed familiar to me, too. Walt's Vincent? question made me think that maybe, just maybe, it's the sound of a dog bark, slowed down and processed a bit. I know: :tinfoilhat: , right?

4. THEN when the three are off into the jungle to find the cockpit, who's there watching them set out? Vincent again. And he's definitely crouching in the woods, watching them. Which is when the rain starts, and the scariness sets in.

Anyway, the mention of Vincent in your post made me look for it more closely tonight when I watched the rerun. It seems to tie in, too, with Walt (who burned the raft and is "a very special boy"), and then Shannon (who was given Vincent to take care of and died shortly thereafter), although I'd be lying if I said I knew exactly how.

(BTW, gotta love the sly joke by the writers in this "pilot" episode.)

Last edited by a moderator:
2. (and weirdest of all) When the invisible monster (subsequently revealed as the black smoke thing) starts crashing around in the woods on the first night and makes that weird sound, Walt hops up, goes toward it, and asks, "Is that Vincent?"

Now, sorry, I've never seen a dog knock over full-grown trees. And I've never heard one make a noise like that. It seemed silly to me.

3. UNTIL Rose, in the background on either this scene or the second invisible monster scene, says something like, "That sound it's making is really familiar; I just can't put my finger on it."

It's always seemed familiar to me, too. Walt's Vincent? question made me think that maybe, just maybe, it's the sound of a dog bark, slowed down and processed a bit. I know: :tinfoilhat: , right?
Now that we've seen the "monster" play back scenes from Ecko's life, my thinking is that it also projects sounds--maybe everyone hears something "familiar" to them. Walt would hear Vincent, Rose would hear something from her life, etc., but each character only hears what is significant to them, just as Ecko only saw scenes familiar to him.

Now that we've seen the "monster" play back scenes from Ecko's life, my thinking is that it also projects sounds--maybe everyone hears something "familiar" to them. Walt would hear Vincent, Rose would hear something from her life, etc., but each character only hears what is significant to them, just as Ecko only saw scenes familiar to him.
Two things concerning Vincent and the Monster. I think either of these happened but not both. 1) The Monster saw into Vincent like he saw into Eko and saw that Vincent was more pure... similar to Eko. Or 2) Vincent got a hold of the Monster and put a serious bite down on the thing thus disabling the Monster for a short time and thus Vincent is Alpha male now.

I'm telling you, no matter what they do with shows like this, it seems like the audience always ends up unhappy when the secrets get revealed. Usually, they complain that they never tie things together well at all. So if you're already going down that path, you might as well stop watching.
Unbelievable -- a perfectly sensible post from BGP that I actually agree with. Nice. :thumbup:
If you think its not normal for me to be sensible, you must be crazy.But thanks.

Here are some more Lost theories from this week's issue of entertainment weekly.

1. THE ISLAND: It's Alive!Our theory of Lost begins with the question posed in the pilot by smack-addled rocker Charlie: ''Guys...where are we?'' Some have argued that the island could be a hallucination — ''A Psychological Shipwreck,'' to use the title of an 1879 short story by Lost-linked author Ambrose Bierce. Or an alien twilight zone. It's tempting to go with ''limbo'' — an elastic enough idea to corral the show's incredible coincidences and odd details, like a smoke monster and a band of child-swiping Others. But we believe the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815 aren't stuck in a mass delusion or a satanic mousetrap. They're alive on the island. A haunted island. And it was made that way by the Dharma Initiative.

2. THE DHARMA INITIATIVE: Head Games

What we know about Dharma is incomplete at best, utterly bogus at worst. According to a choppy ''orientation film'' found in the hatch, Dharma founders Gerald and Karen DeGroot established a research facility on the island in the 1970s to conduct experiments in meteorology, zoology, electromagnetism, psychology, and parapsychology — a dubious science that believes the brain houses mind-over-matter powers. (Think X-Men, Jedi Knights, and sci-fi author Robert Heinlein, whose 1941 short story Lost Legacy is about kids realizing their psychic potential under the tutelage of — COINCIDENCE ALERT! — Ambrose Bierce.) Our theory is that intentionally or not, the Dharma team pulled loose psychic powers from one of its test subjects — skip to No. 5 for the answer about who that might be — with disastrous results. How? With fear. Where? Where else, down in...

3. THE HATCH: Human Testing

The orientation film claims the hatch was originally used to study the island's ''unique'' electromagnetic energy. And indeed, there is a curious wall that seems to be humming with the stuff. But the filmstrip also states that the DeGroots were following B.F. Skinner, a psychologist famous for his Skinner boxes: controlled environments used to study animal behavior. Folks, the hatch is a human Skinner box.

Why wasn't this mentioned in the orientation film? Because the orientation film is part of the experiment! The film was fiction, designed to induce paranoia and fear and observe the test subject's reaction. What Dharma was studying was the behavior every Lost fanatic engages in: the human imperative to organize seemingly random details into some kind of order. The problem is that someone — someone we haven't seen or met yet — was put in the hatch and had a psychic break of world-altering proportions.

4. THE NUMBERS: Those Damn Yankees!

It has been Lost's most baffling conundrum: the seemingly inexplicable connection between Hurley's havoc-causing Lotto picks — 4 8 15 16 23 42 — and the hatch's computer code. This is a two-part riddle. First, the original purpose of the numbers: Skinner box experiments require test subjects to execute empty tasks, like pulling levers or, say, inputting digits into a computer. The Dharma-ites chose the sequence because...they were big Yankee fans, and each number correlates to a retired Yankee jersey. But the second question is far more important: What purpose do the numbers serve now? There are lots of out-there (and fun) ways to go with this, but the truth is that the numbers don't do anything. The ''cursed'' digits are just one more sinister detail in Dharma's elaborate sleight of hand intended to freak out test subjects. The problem was that extreme stress on the subject in the hatch combined with the electromagnetic energy down there to jar loose some suppressed psychic powers. And it jarred them loose in the wrong individual. In that explosive moment, the once meaningless digits were encoded with devilish life. Hence, Hurley's bad luck, and a virus that is rewriting reality on the island.

5. THE ANSWER TO 'LOST': The Island Is Haunted by a Powerful Psychic

The Dharma experiments resulted in the creation of a potent disembodied being. A being deeply steeped in pop culture — think about all the novels, comic books, and random flotsam that make up the DNA of Lost — and powerful enough to bring those bits of pop culture to life. Someone who imprinted his consciousness on the island. Someone whose radioactive corpse was walled up in the hatch. Someone named Aaron.

So how did the Oceanic crew end up on the island? Aaron summoned them, because he has as-yet-undetermined uses for each of them...and he needed a new body. The body of a then-unborn baby. Claire's baby. Which is why the Others (Aaron's followers) have tried to kidnap her child. And why they had to snatch poor, psychic Walt — remember that dead bird from season 1? — who was the only one with the ability to see through their plan.

Of course, the castaways could all be dead. It could be a mass hallucination. The Others could be trying to secure franchise rights to the Twilight Zone Dairy Queen. But this is our story, and we're sticking to it. At least until the start of the next episode.

We're goning to need some screen caps of those images. I saw a bird.
I am working on it.Don't go anywhere. :)
I was going to guess it spelled Dharma (sp), but it isn't enough letters.
...Be sure to drink your ...Oval-tine?!?
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Literally lol'd at that.

So who was the guy that played the US intelligence officer? He looked ridiculously familiar, but the beard threw me off. I'm picturing a very unpleasant character in something...
I remember him from Pet Semetary
Thats right as the dead sheriff who had his nexk torn off by a dog.
I remember him from the movie Bad Boys (the one with Sean Penn and Elmo Morales, not the one with Wil Smith and Martin Lawrence). He played the character of "Viking".Wasn't he also in the TV series V...?

He's been around a long time. Great character actor, IMO.
He was also in The Shawshank Redemption as Byron Hadley, the corrupt guard who was the warden's right hand man.

Here are some more Lost theories from this week's issue of entertainment weekly.

1. THE ISLAND: It's Alive!

Our theory of Lost begins with the question posed in the pilot by smack-addled rocker Charlie: ''Guys...where are we?'' Some have argued that the island could be a hallucination — ''A Psychological Shipwreck,'' to use the title of an 1879 short story by Lost-linked author Ambrose Bierce. Or an alien twilight zone. It's tempting to go with ''limbo'' — an elastic enough idea to corral the show's incredible coincidences and odd details, like a smoke monster and a band of child-swiping Others. But we believe the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815 aren't stuck in a mass delusion or a satanic mousetrap. They're alive on the island. A haunted island. And it was made that way by the Dharma Initiative.

2. THE DHARMA INITIATIVE: Head Games

What we know about Dharma is incomplete at best, utterly bogus at worst. According to a choppy ''orientation film'' found in the hatch, Dharma founders Gerald and Karen DeGroot established a research facility on the island in the 1970s to conduct experiments in meteorology, zoology, electromagnetism, psychology, and parapsychology — a dubious science that believes the brain houses mind-over-matter powers. (Think X-Men, Jedi Knights, and sci-fi author Robert Heinlein, whose 1941 short story Lost Legacy is about kids realizing their psychic potential under the tutelage of — COINCIDENCE ALERT! — Ambrose Bierce.) Our theory is that intentionally or not, the Dharma team pulled loose psychic powers from one of its test subjects — skip to No. 5 for the answer about who that might be — with disastrous results. How? With fear. Where? Where else, down in...

3. THE HATCH: Human Testing

The orientation film claims the hatch was originally used to study the island's ''unique'' electromagnetic energy. And indeed, there is a curious wall that seems to be humming with the stuff. But the filmstrip also states that the DeGroots were following B.F. Skinner, a psychologist famous for his Skinner boxes: controlled environments used to study animal behavior. Folks, the hatch is a human Skinner box.

Why wasn't this mentioned in the orientation film? Because the orientation film is part of the experiment! The film was fiction, designed to induce paranoia and fear and observe the test subject's reaction. What Dharma was studying was the behavior every Lost fanatic engages in: the human imperative to organize seemingly random details into some kind of order. The problem is that someone — someone we haven't seen or met yet — was put in the hatch and had a psychic break of world-altering proportions.

4. THE NUMBERS: Those Damn Yankees!

It has been Lost's most baffling conundrum: the seemingly inexplicable connection between Hurley's havoc-causing Lotto picks — 4 8 15 16 23 42 — and the hatch's computer code. This is a two-part riddle. First, the original purpose of the numbers: Skinner box experiments require test subjects to execute empty tasks, like pulling levers or, say, inputting digits into a computer. The Dharma-ites chose the sequence because...they were big Yankee fans, and each number correlates to a retired Yankee jersey. But the second question is far more important: What purpose do the numbers serve now? There are lots of out-there (and fun) ways to go with this, but the truth is that the numbers don't do anything. The ''cursed'' digits are just one more sinister detail in Dharma's elaborate sleight of hand intended to freak out test subjects. The problem was that extreme stress on the subject in the hatch combined with the electromagnetic energy down there to jar loose some suppressed psychic powers. And it jarred them loose in the wrong individual. In that explosive moment, the once meaningless digits were encoded with devilish life. Hence, Hurley's bad luck, and a virus that is rewriting reality on the island.

5. THE ANSWER TO 'LOST': The Island Is Haunted by a Powerful Psychic

The Dharma experiments resulted in the creation of a potent disembodied being. A being deeply steeped in pop culture — think about all the novels, comic books, and random flotsam that make up the DNA of Lost — and powerful enough to bring those bits of pop culture to life. Someone who imprinted his consciousness on the island. Someone whose radioactive corpse was walled up in the hatch. Someone named Aaron.

So how did the Oceanic crew end up on the island? Aaron summoned them, because he has as-yet-undetermined uses for each of them...and he needed a new body. The body of a then-unborn baby. Claire's baby. Which is why the Others (Aaron's followers) have tried to kidnap her child. And why they had to snatch poor, psychic Walt — remember that dead bird from season 1? — who was the only one with the ability to see through their plan.

Of course, the castaways could all be dead. It could be a mass hallucination. The Others could be trying to secure franchise rights to the Twilight Zone Dairy Queen. But this is our story, and we're sticking to it. At least until the start of the next episode.
I like this theory.

Pulled from the ABC boards. Not spoilers per se, so I'm not whitting it out, but it does reveal which questions will be answered this season.

For those ofyou who are interested, I have compiled a list of items mentioned by the producers in their podcast. So far, they have said that the following answers and facts will be revealed by the end of this season.

1) Exactly what brought flight 815 down will be "absolutely and definitively" answered.

2) We will find out what happened to Walt, where he is being held, and what he has been doing.

3) Why Ecko's fate is inextricably linked to the island, and what it will be.

4) Who the Others are, why they are still on the island, and what they have been doing there.

5) Who Danielle's daughter Alex is. The producers have confirmed that the "Alex" that "Mr. Friendly" (aka Zeke) called to in the woods IS Danielle's daughter.

6) What is behind the concrete wall in the Swan, the source of the electro-megnetic field on the island.

7) And last, but certainly NOT least, what happens when the button isn't pushed.

If I have left anything out, PLEASE feel free to add to the list.

Also, the producers have pretty much said "no" to the theory that the electromagnetic fields have anything at all to do with why Locke can walk again.

They also confirmed the fast that the "monster" left Ecko alone because he didn't fear it. NOT because he is a good person now. They were very clear about it and said that the first time it encountered Locke, Locke didn't fear it, so it let him go. The second time Locke encountered it, he reacted differently, causing the "monster" to do the same. The same thing with the pilot in S1E1.

If you haven't listened to the podcasts, you should check them out. It's the only real source for confirmed information.

Here's the link: http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/podcasts/102999.htm

Can someone post when the new episodes are expected to air and who they revolve around?
This week is Claire centric.I'm not sure about after that, but I think its supposed to be Locke and Hurley coming up.

Can someone post when the new episodes are expected to air and who they revolve around?
This week is Claire centric.I'm not sure about after that, but I think its supposed to be Locke and Hurley coming up.
So we get a new episode this week and then a repeat from season one next week. Then we are treated to another repeat on 3/15. Yeah!

So we get a new episode this week and then a repeat from season one next week. Then we are treated to another repeat on 3/15. Yeah!
After this Wednesday, the episodes go...March 22 - Sun/Jin-Centric

March 29 - Locke-Centric

And then some others...

Spring 2006 - Hurley-Centric

Spring 2006 - Episode features Isaac, a well regarded physical therapist who lives in Australia.

Spring 2006 - Libby-Centric (though there is a possibility this could happen next year)

Patience down?

'][QUOTE=I95][QUOTE=(HULK)][QUOTE=Buckychudd]Can someone post when the new episodes are expected to air and who they revolve around? [/QUOTE]This week is Claire centric.I'm not sure about after that said:

March 29 - Locke-Centric

And then some others...

Spring 2006 - Episode features Isaac, a well regarded physical therapist who lives in Australia.

Spring 2006 - Libby-Centric (though there is a possibility this could happen next year)

[/QUOTE]When is the Gabriella-Centric episode?

'][QUOTE=I95][QUOTE=(HULK)][QUOTE=Buckychudd]Can someone post when the new episodes are expected to air and who they revolve around? [/QUOTE]This week is Claire centric.I'm not sure about after that said:

March 29 - Locke-Centric

And then some others...

[/QUOTE] :thumbup: Thanks!

Claire-Emilie de Ravin is going to be in a movie to be released in June. 'The Hills Have Eyes'. There was a 70's movie with the same title, must be a re-make. just saw the preview on tv.

Claire-Emilie de Ravin is going to be in a movie to be released in June. 'The Hills Have Eyes'. There was a 70's movie with the same title, must be a re-make. just saw the preview on tv.
:cutthroatmotion:She's done. :bye: Claire.

:cutthroatmotion:She's done. :bye: Claire.
"Lost" actresses starring in remakes of 70s/80s horror films tends to end badly.::shannon::

Bump for tonight's episode... It runs for 63 minutes...

Maternity Leave

A mysterious illness that baby Aaron suddenly contracts sends a desperate Claire, Kate and French woman Danielle to return to the same area where Claire was initially kidnapped. It is there where she believes she can find a cure for Aaron's illness. In the meantime, Jack and Locke are doing their best to keep their prisoner a secret from the rest of the survivors on the island.

Maternity Leave[/B]

A mysterious illness that baby Aaron suddenly contracts sends a desperate Claire, Kate and French woman Danielle to return to the same area where Claire was initially kidnapped. It is there where she believes she can find a cure for Aaron's illness. In the meantime, Jack and Locke are doing their best to keep their prisoner a secret from the rest of the survivors on the island.
So it starts out something like this? :cry: Mah baby is sick! My baby! Maaaaahhhh baaaaayyyybaeeeee!!!!!! :cry:

Maternity Leave[/B]

So it starts out something like this? :cry: Mah baby is sick! My baby! Maaaaahhhh baaaaayyyybaeeeee!!!!!! :cry:
Pretty much

I just re-watched the last episode. WTF is going on with Jack all of a sudden being a card-carrying member of the ACLU on the island again? He goes from wanting to take arms against "the others", says they are at war, and is all paranoid about going after them, and now he doesn't have a care in the world as to if this Henry Gale guy is legit or not.

I loved Sayid's comments at the end though. "Do YOU remember Charlie?" He's so right, why did everyone (aside from Ana Lucia) decide to forget or not worry about the Ethan situation anymore?

I just re-watched the last episode.  WTF is going on with Jack all of a sudden being a card-carrying member of the ACLU on the island again?  He goes from wanting to take arms against "the others", says they are at war, and is all paranoid about going after them, and now he doesn't have a care in the world as to if this Henry Gale guy is legit or not. 

I loved Sayid's comments at the end though.  "Do YOU remember Charlie?"  He's so right, why did everyone (aside from Ana Lucia) decide to forget or not worry about the Ethan situation anymore?
:goodposting: I loved Sayid in the last episode, especially the comment to Charlie. Not that he knew about what Charlie did, but the stunned look on Charlie's face was great.

Almost like you could see Charlie think to himself, WTF am I doing worrying about Locke? I just realized I forgot that some other people on the island hung me up and tried to kill me and I just gave away the guns to Sawyer.

Also, bump for tonight's episode since I would bet we are going to finally clear the 100 page mark for the thread! :pickle: :clap: :headbang:

Then again, remember when this season started and we were predicting 100 pages within the first few weeks. :11:

Maternity Leave[/B]

:goodposting: I'll bet if you put your TV on mute and turn on the closed captioning, this is how it would be written. :hot:

Is anyone else's hair on the back of their neck tingling.... :eek:
I think it may be that annoying high pitched whine they are using during the flashbacks... :shrug:
Or the fact that Ethan is sticking a needle in Claire's bellyOf course this will probably be the opposite of Jack's buddy

Users who are viewing this thread